Products > Test Equipment

Fluke 177 for electronics use?

(1/2) > >>

ticktock3t:
I'm currently talking to a someone who wants to sell me a fairly new condition Fluke 177 for $100. I'm an EE student and I would love to have a good multimeter. I'm only looking to spend about $100 and was thinking about either the 87 or 87III. Would the 177 be good for my use and is this a good buy?

Lightages:
There are some that will say that a multimeter without a microamp range is not meant for electronics, Dave Jones included. However this meter would be good reliable instrument. IMHO, it would be better to buy an Amprobe AM-270 for $90 new. It has more functions, same safety, and is new with a warranty. There might be other options too but without knowing where you live pricing is a bit variable.

retiredcaps:

--- Quote from: ticktock3t on February 27, 2013, 05:22:03 am ---I'm currently talking to a someone who wants to sell me a fairly new condition Fluke 177 for $100. I'm an EE student and I would love to have a good multimeter. I'm only looking to spend about $100 and was thinking about either the 87 or 87III. Would the 177 be good for my use and is this a good buy?

--- End quote ---
I think you are better off getting a Fluke 87 or 87 III for $100.  These two give you

- microamp range
- 20,000 count option
- relative function
- ability to adjust pots if needed for calibration (177 is closed case calibration)
- peak min/max
- current measurement defaults to DC (177 defaults to AC)

Now you can present these points to the seller and hope he/she drops the price of the 177 down to around $65?

PS. I have used all 3 multimeters.

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: ticktock3t on February 27, 2013, 05:22:03 am ---I'm currently talking to a someone who wants to sell me a fairly new condition Fluke 177 for $100. I'm an EE student and I would love to have a good multimeter. I'm only looking to spend about $100 and was thinking about either the 87 or 87III. Would the 177 be good for my use and is this a good buy?

--- End quote ---

As mentioned in another thread, it's a bargain, buy it.
Then resell it on ebay. If it's in good nick, you'll get $200 for it.
The Fluke 177 is an electricans meter, not an electronics engineers meter.

Dave.

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: Lightages on February 27, 2013, 05:58:07 am ---There are some that will say that a multimeter without a microamp range is not meant for electronics, Dave Jones included. However this meter would be good reliable instrument.
--- End quote ---

No doubt it's a good reliable instrument.
But having a multimeter that does not measure the full range of the basic quantities (in this case low current), means you are not fully equipped to do electronics IMO.

Dave.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version