Author Topic: Fluke 17B+ (Plus)  (Read 27101 times)

Offline TELCOTopic starter

• Contributor
  • "Life is too short and it's all about the ride".
    • TELCO
Fluke 17B+ (Plus)
« on: August 09, 2014, 11:14:51 pm »
Hello to everyone. I am new to the EEVblog Forum but I have recently ordered the Fluke 17B+ from China. I have been trying to find information such as a review and or comparisons with the older Fluke 17B. Anyone out there has or using this 17B+ model? I understand that this newer version has a backlight, 600V CATIII rating and larger display. Would appreciate any input, thanks :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:23:19 pm by TELCO »
"Live Long and Prosper and May the Force be With You, Always".

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Fluke 17B+ (Plus)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 01:57:31 am »
Hello to everyone. I am new to the EEVblog but I have recently ordered the Fluke 17B+ from China. I have been trying to find information such as a review and or comparisons with the older Fluke 17B. Anyone out there has or using this 17B+ model? I understand that this newer version has a backlight, 600V CATIII rating and larger display. Would appreciate any input, thanks :)
Be aware AFAIK there is no warranty outside China for 15 or 17B.
When you get the DMM there will probably be documentation claiming this is the case.
Of a lot of 15 units I got only 1 had to be tweaked for accuracy after 12 months, however it was still within factory accuracy limits.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 01:58:42 pm »
The meter is also available in India.
Apart from what you mentioned already, the capacitance range was extended to 1000uF (100uF before), an overvoltage visual warning was added to the faceplate and it comes now with a Min/Max feature for some of the measurements.
The new meter is also slightly larger and heavier.
It still lacks a true RMS function for its 4,000 count Fortune IC.
Someone also mentioned better responsiveness, compared to the older model.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:32:46 pm by Wytnucls »

• Contributor
    • TELCO
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:22:00 pm »
Thank you all for the replies so far. Does anyone know if the continuity test on the new 17B+ latches on good or is still scractchy like what Dave tested on the review of the old 17B??

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:10:01 am »
Thank you all for the replies so far. Does anyone know if the continuity test on the new 17B+ latches on good or is still scractchy like what Dave tested on the review of the old 17B??
AFAIK the internals are the same as a 15B and the continuity test is excellent for a cheap DMM
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 06:50:02 am »
The original Fortune IC (FS9721 LP3) is limited to 100uF capacitance and doesn't provide a Min/Max feature, so the 17B+ must be using a different DMM IC . The continuity tester will thus be different, as provided by the new, unknown as yet, IC.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:47:56 pm by Wytnucls »

• Contributor
    • TELCO
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 02:29:37 pm »
That is my thought exactly, that the 17B+ having so many new features compared to the old 17B has a more "reliable" continuity tester. I already own a Fluke 87V and I know it will not even begin to compare with the 17B or 17B+ but I sure hope that the continuity tester latches on good like my 87V.  ;D Thanks again.

Offline Pedram

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 10:21:19 am »
may i ask where did you order them from ? Aliexpress ?

• Contributor
    • TELCO
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:59:26 pm »
UPDATE: I finally got the Fluke 17B+ Plus in my hands, I have to say that the quality construction is excellent and as expected from Fluke but there is no comparison to my Fluke 87V. I ordered my 17B+ from a vendor located in China through Ebay, that was painless but it did take a bit to get it in the mail. The continuity tester IMHO works better than the one showed on the "old" 17B it is not scratchy at all but it is slow to latch on. So far I am satisfied for the price and it is going to be my everyday use carry around DMM. Thank you all for the replies.  :-DMM

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 08:45:14 pm »
Glad it meets you expectations. Give us some pics of the pc board and a quick review when you find the time. Cheers.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 09:43:56 pm »
So far I am satisfied for the price and it is going to be my everyday use carry around DMM.
Is it because you are worried your 87V will get stolen if carried around on a daily basis?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 10:12:44 pm »
I would certainly like to see some pictures, inside and outside!

Offline Aleksey

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 07:51:49 pm »
Hi guys. I have one 17b+ too. Yes, it void warranty out side of China. I guess as Europe has a lot of 15-17-18b in stock yet. If I will have a free time I could make a review.

Offline Avinash lewis

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 08:30:58 pm »
Hi Everyone I purchased a Fluke 17b+ from ebay.in, well it took a Bombay tour before it reached me... i was worried that it may get damaged in this unwanted tour.. after 14 calls and 2 emails i had to go on by new honda bike good 7 kms to pick it up.. stay away from this Aramex courier guys  |O i felt like  :box: them real hard

It was a new years gift to me recieved it today :-) after much pain

yes, the new 17b+ had capacatance range raised to 1000 uf, i saw that mine one was manufactured in Everett wa US, Came with two Energier alkaline AA battries, looking closely at the batteries it seems they were made in singapore secondlast image says so.. i guess  in some way these batteries or this DMM have been in singapore not sure which.. lets see how it serves.. my older DMM went kaput after 12 years
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:36:32 pm by Avinash lewis »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 09:24:28 pm »
yes, the new 17b+ had capacatance range raised to 1000 uf, i saw that mine one was manufactured in Everett wa US,
The holster might say Everett WA, but the Fluke 17B+ is likely made in China.

What does the grey back case say where it was made?

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 09:55:43 pm »
This 17B+ video came out last month, but I forgot to bring it to the forum's attention.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline aryasridhar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 03:21:38 pm »
I was so close to buying one today, it felt heavy too. But i dropped out of getting it, since I have the 87V literally etched in my head.

Offline Andrey_Ak

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2023, 10:46:17 am »
Still, I took myself 17B +, but took the European version or USA what it is there,
without hieroglyphs on the back cover and box. So in the USA version, instead of a drop,
there is a full-fledged FS98024-GEF chip. How glad I am that there is no drop.

By the way, I really liked the device, simple, but so thoughtful and just done, nice to work!
But he immediately threw his native complete tentacles into the trash heap...

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:54:28 am by Andrey_Ak »

Offline Andrey_Ak

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2024, 04:20:11 pm »
Fluke is a piece of shit for a lot of money ... I bought Fluke 17B + so this infection, in the resistance measurement mode, you have to wait for a few seconds to measure, and the ringing is also slow.. Well, it's not possible to just work with such a device. How can a company with such a big name produce such an obvious marriage. The device is exactly the original, honest made in usa, I took it from the officials in our city, they also forced me to write a receipt from the company that I undertake to use it only here, and that I definitely will not resell it in the Russian Federation.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2024, 04:38:58 pm »
The device is exactly the original, honest made in usa,

Does it say made in USA any where on the meter??? I doubt it.

Offline Andrey_Ak

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2024, 05:05:27 pm »
https://tis.kz/temp/Fl-01.jpg
https://tis.kz/temp/Fl-02.jpg
https://tis.kz/temp/Fl-03.jpg

Well, this is definitely not a version for the Chinese market.

Or do you think that there are no such problems with the old Fluke 17B+?

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2024, 07:44:47 pm »
To my knowledge this 15/17/18 series of meters have always been made in China, or at least for a long time now. I might be misremembering but I thought at one time they were available in the US, but at least at the moment they are not for sale by Fluke here. You can go to Fluke's site and find the 17B Max (newest generation, which I have)... until you tell the site you're in the US, then it disappears from the catalog.

Also the 17B Max has replaced the 17B+, upgrading to 6000 counts from 4000 and support for 2000uF capacitance, along with a few other new features. You can also buy it in a kit with both TL75 and TL31 (needle point) probes, which is what I got. BTW have I mentioned how much I hate TL75 leads these days? They're total crap. The TL75s that came with my 2013 vintage 87V aren't nearly as bad as the current ones. I use Brymen leads with my Fluke 117 and the still bad but less bad TL31's in the 17B Max. I'd use ProbeMasters for all of them like I do my bench meters, but they're a bit too bulky for use with smaller meters, IMO. The Brymen leads are excellent though for the money.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 07:46:19 pm by Veteran68 »

Offline mqsaharan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2024, 04:34:25 pm »
Hi Andrey_Ak,
Thank you for the inside pic of your 17B+. Indeed, I haven't seen one without a COB.

The following link is to a message I posted regarding a video I found on Youtube (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-1517-bmax-slow-settling-on-resistance-function/). The guy in the video pointed to this slow settling issue and offered a solution.
Please note that I haven't tried it myself, yet. Also, if you look closely in the video, the problem of slow settling is not completely resolved.

Offline Andrey_Ak

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2024, 05:00:44 pm »
Yes, thank you, I have already heard about replacing this capacitor with a smaller capacity, but why did Fluke do this, I want to understand they did it on purpose? I don't want to try to change the capacitor yet, I wrote to the support service where I bought the device, let's see what they will say..

Offline mqsaharan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2024, 04:41:01 pm »
If they replied, please do share with us.

The 27n capacitor they have installed between FTC (pin 7) and FTB (Pin8), ADC pre-filter capacitor connection pins, is suggested in datasheet of the multimeter chip on page 46, heading 8.2 ADC.

May be its just the limitation of the chip itself.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf