Author Topic: Fluke 289 Meter  (Read 26139 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Fluke 289 Meter
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2019, 12:29:26 pm »
I agree the C stands for China. Don't touch it buddy.
Yep, anything made there is a POS !  :P

The seventeen units of Fluke 15B that I bought in years ago are still going strong and still meet accuracy spec.
After I pulled the 'not for sale outside PRC' from the boxes of 15 units that a customer wanted I kept as a possible warranty replacement and shipped them to one happy customer and put one unit on my bench that I still use today.
After a suitable warranty period I sold the one kept back and they all are still in use years later.

So NO, don't buy a PRC Fluke as they'll give nutthing but worry.  :P

When I looked a few hrs back there was a deal coming up on 289C's new for $520 free delivery.
287C's were a bit cheaper at $460 new but crazy dear when you can get a good 4ch DSO for $499.

I was meaning for the warranty.

I wouldn't buy expensive equipment if there would be a problem if it craps out on you. Especially if you can get one with no warranty problems just the same.
There is plenty decent stuff and plenty crap comes out of China... same as anywhere I suppose?
Buy 2 then and if they give no issues well then you're ahead.

What are they worth new in the west anyways ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2019, 01:12:53 pm »
I agree the C stands for China. Don't touch it buddy.
Yep, anything made there is a POS !  :P

The seventeen units of Fluke 15B that I bought in years ago are still going strong and still meet accuracy spec.
After I pulled the 'not for sale outside PRC' from the boxes of 15 units that a customer wanted I kept as a possible warranty replacement and shipped them to one happy customer and put one unit on my bench that I still use today.
After a suitable warranty period I sold the one kept back and they all are still in use years later.

So NO, don't buy a PRC Fluke as they'll give nutthing but worry.  :P

When I looked a few hrs back there was a deal coming up on 289C's new for $520 free delivery.
287C's were a bit cheaper at $460 new but crazy dear when you can get a good 4ch DSO for $499.

I was meaning for the warranty.

I wouldn't buy expensive equipment if there would be a problem if it craps out on you. Especially if you can get one with no warranty problems just the same.
There is plenty decent stuff and plenty crap comes out of China... same as anywhere I suppose?
Buy 2 then and if they give no issues well then you're ahead.

What are they worth new in the west anyways ?

I paid £340 for my 289 a year or two ago from a UK seller. No problems and I am ahead with just the 1 meter I wanted. No 289 sitting doing nowt  ;)
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2019, 10:59:19 am »
The email I got from PayPal looks genuine and gives the status of my refund as "Pending until: November 6, 2019" but I don't see a refund referenced in any of my accounts, not eBay and not PayPal, not even as 'pending'.  I've forwarded that email to spoof@paypal.com asking if it's genuine.

The PayPal help website says that 'pending' may be because the seller is making a direct transfer and, if that doesn't go through, the status may change to "cancelled".

The USPS tracking number is stuck at "Your package is on its way to a USPS facility" although that label was created 4 days ago now and the 'seller' stated through the eBay system that he had taken the 289 to the Post Office.

I've tried to contact eBay again but I have to wait until normal office hours.

I'm now near-certain this was a scammer but a very sophisticated one, especially given the PayPal refund email which, even if it's genuine, may not result in me actually getting a refund.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2019, 12:16:31 pm »
The email I got from PayPal looks genuine and gives the status of my refund as "Pending until: November 6, 2019" but I don't see a refund referenced in any of my accounts, not eBay and not PayPal, not even as 'pending'.  I've forwarded that email to spoof@paypal.com asking if it's genuine.

The PayPal help website says that 'pending' may be because the seller is making a direct transfer and, if that doesn't go through, the status may change to "cancelled".

The USPS tracking number is stuck at "Your package is on its way to a USPS facility" although that label was created 4 days ago now and the 'seller' stated through the eBay system that he had taken the 289 to the Post Office.

I've tried to contact eBay again but I have to wait until normal office hours.

I'm now near-certain this was a scammer but a very sophisticated one, especially given the PayPal refund email which, even if it's genuine, may not result in me actually getting a refund.

What is the address of the mail? Can you please send me the message header code via PM? Just the header:  https://www.technipages.com/outlook-view-message-headers

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2019, 01:53:48 pm »
PM sent but I now think it's a real PayPal email but I'm still suspicious that, when PayPal tries to pull the money back for the refund, there won't be anything there and it will fail.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2019, 02:14:34 pm »
PM sent but I now think it's a real PayPal email but I'm still suspicious that, when PayPal tries to pull the money back for the refund, there won't be anything there and it will fail.
I always contact PP direct if I need to verify a transaction's legitimacy.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2019, 03:10:33 pm »
PM replied - Yes it is real:

Came from:

Code: [Select]
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
       dkim=pass header.i=@paypal.com header.s=pp-dkim1 header.b=WA5vr7DG;
       spf=pass (google.com: domain of service@paypal.com designates 173.0.84.226 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=service@paypal.com;
       dmarc=pass (p=REJECT sp=REJECT dis=NONE) header.from=paypal.com
Return-Path: <service@paypal.com>
Received: from mx2.slc.paypal.com (mx1.slc.paypal.com. [173.0.84.226])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id [removed]
        for <[removed]@gmail.com>
        (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);

And the owner of the IP:

Code: [Select]
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]

#
 # ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
 # available at: [url]https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html[/url]
 #
 # If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
 # [url]https://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml[/url]
 #

#
 # Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be:
 # "n 173.0.84.226"
 #
 # Use "?" to get help.
 #

#
 # The following results may also be obtained via:
 # [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=173.0.84.226?showDetails=true&showARIN=false&showNonArinTopLevelNet=false&ext=netref2[/url]
 #

NetRange: 173.0.80.0 - 173.0.95.255
CIDR: 173.0.80.0/20
NetName: PAYPAL-SITE
NetHandle: NET-173-0-80-0-1
Parent: NET173 (NET-173-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Assignment
OriginAS: AS17012
Organization: PayPal, Inc. (PAYPAL)
RegDate: 2010-06-22
Updated: 2015-11-20
Ref: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-173-0-80-0-1[/url]

OrgName: PayPal, Inc.
OrgId: PAYPAL
Address: 2211 N. First St.
City: San Jose
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 95131
RegDate: 2001-08-17
Updated: 2015-07-16
Ref: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/org/PAYPAL[/url]

OrgAbuseHandle: PAYPA-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: PayPal Network
OrgAbusePhone: +1-408-967-5100
OrgAbuseEmail: corpnetwork@paypal.com
OrgAbuseRef: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/PAYPA-ARIN[/url]

OrgTechHandle: PAYPA-ARIN
OrgTechName: PayPal Network
OrgTechPhone: +1-408-967-5100
OrgTechEmail: corpnetwork@paypal.com
OrgTechRef: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/PAYPA-ARIN[/url]

RTechHandle: PAYPA1-ARIN
RTechName: PayPal
RTechPhone: +1-480-862-7260
RTechEmail: dl-paypal-sne@paypal.com
RTechRef: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/PAYPA1-ARIN[/url]

RAbuseHandle: PAYPA1-ARIN
RAbuseName: PayPal
RAbusePhone: +1-480-862-7260
RAbuseEmail: dl-paypal-sne@paypal.com
RAbuseRef: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/PAYPA1-ARIN[/url]

RNOCHandle: PAYPA1-ARIN
RNOCName: PayPal
RNOCPhone: +1-480-862-7260
RNOCEmail: dl-paypal-sne@paypal.com
RNOCRef: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/PAYPA1-ARIN[/url]

#
 # ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
 # available at: [url]https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html[/url]
 #
 # If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
 # [url]https://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml[/url]
 #
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:12:33 pm by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2019, 03:59:57 pm »
What a carry on you've had buddy!

I am sure Ebay will cover your $'s if it turns out the scammer has already pocketed your dosh and won't refund you.

I have had the "pending" thing when taking withdrawals from PayPal before even though I have put 1000's through them and had no problems making much bigger deposits and withdrawals in the past. When I queried it they said it was just random checks that are in place and not to worry.
I am sure it was 24hrs or something like that and it came good sure enough.

I am almost sure you'll get your cash back in the end, Ebay looks after the buyer and the seller can suck a fat one.

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2019, 05:37:14 pm »
I know I'll get my money back eventually and, even if I didn't, it wouldn't be the end of the World but it's the principle that annoys me; that plus the sheer hassle of going through all this bullshit (I like that I can say bullshit on eevBlog).

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2019, 05:40:51 pm »
Why not just 287 if you can live with it's limitation compared to 289 ? And of course while still decently priced. 287 is quite decent imo.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2019, 06:31:44 pm »
Why not just 287 if you can live with it's limitation compared to 289 ? And of course while still decently priced. 287 is quite decent imo.
What kind of connectivity does the 287 have and isn't it about the same price as a 289 used?

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2019, 06:35:06 pm »
What kind of connectivity does the 287 have and isn't it about the same price as a 289 used?

On connectivity, both are identical.

Just read the manual, as both share same document.

Offline dab147315Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2019, 07:27:51 pm »
You been through hell on this! Makes me think to never buy again from eBay!

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2019, 08:08:32 pm »
There are enough differences between the 289 and the 287 to make the 289 more desirable, especially at the same price which is what they go for on eBay

[Edit] Fixed bad link
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:14:50 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2019, 11:52:12 am »
You been through hell on this! Makes me think to never buy again from eBay!
Thanks for the sympathy; I still don't have my meter or my refund.  I'm pretty fed up with the whole stupid saga; maybe I don't even need another multimeter?

[EDIT] I called eBay and they were great, they told me they do see a refund making its way through their system (eBay own PayPal now I think) and said that if it hadn't been returned by 6th I could call back with my case number and they would force the refund through.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:57:27 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2019, 09:34:24 pm »
There's a clean used Fluke 289 for $299.  Has a raggedy factory screen protector on but you do get a 30 day money back guarantee if there are any issues with it.  Old firmware that can be updated and may have an old supercap but you can always verify that to your advantage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-289-true-rms-multimeter-with-test-leads/283657059024?hash=item420b473ad0:g:v6oAAOSwrxVdt1AY

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2019, 12:32:58 am »
There's a clean used Fluke 289 for $299.  Has a raggedy factory screen protector on but you do get a 30 day money back guarantee if there are any issues with it.  Old firmware that can be updated and may have an old supercap but you can always verify that to your advantage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-289-true-rms-multimeter-with-test-leads/283657059024?hash=item420b473ad0:g:v6oAAOSwrxVdt1AY

That one can only be update to the 1.16 version and no other version above.

The new ones come with the 1.41 version and can be updated further when a new version is released:

https://www.fluke.com/en/support/software-downloads/fluke-287-and-289-multimeter-firmware-update

Fluke 289 Firmware update version 1.16

Owners of Fluke 289 multimeters with serial number 42830000 or LOWER can update to firmware version 1.16. These multimeters are NOT upgradable to any firmware higher than 1.16.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2019, 03:20:02 am »

The new ones come with the 1.41 version and can be updated further when a new version is released:

https://www.fluke.com/en/support/software-downloads/fluke-287-and-289-multimeter-firmware-update

Owners of Fluke 289 multimeters with serial number 42830000 or LOWER can update to firmware version 1.16. These multimeters are NOT upgradable to any firmware higher than 1.16.

Not true... my serial number starts with 3826... and I have v1.41

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2019, 04:05:04 am »

You bought it with that firmware right? Because there aren't any firmware 1.41 available online to download or install.

To be sincere the only firmware released to the 287/289 was to fix the problem were if you shine a light or if sun hits at the IR port while logging something it would stop logging when entering into power save mode.

Other than that no further firmware was released for the 287/289 series. So I don't know what is the 1.41 changes regarding the new models. Related with PCB revision?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2019, 09:47:45 am »

I looked at that one and really studied the pictures; I'm concerned that the screen may be scratched (the selector switch has a large scratch over it) and I have messaged the seller asking what the screen condition is like if the screen protector is removed.  He got back with me quickly saying he would check into it and reply, haven't heard back from him on that yet.

However, for $300 it's hardly a bargain when 'new' ones have gone for $325 and Black Phoenix's comments suggest that it's an older unit that may have other issues like superCap - which can likely be fixed but I'd rather pay an extra 10% and get a good one. I'm not sure what I'll do but I suspect the seller will send me a picture with the screen protector off; I suppose I could offer him lower than $300 citing the old serial number and the scratched condition.

There are others I'm watching, one that's from a seller called cdubya described as 'new' but the only picture it gives is of a raggedy-looking box and that one's already at $300 - the fact that he's only got 23 reviews also makes me worry that he's another scammer.

Quiltinthehills is the next one in line and that one's got good pictures showing a clean meter but nothing with power on; it's at $280 right now but, with 11 bidders, I predict it will go for $330.  That seller has 4190 reviews but says 'no returns' which is almost meaningless, I've gone back to such sellers when there have been issues and they have offered refunds (full or partial) or returns.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2019, 12:35:01 pm »

I looked at that one and really studied the pictures; I'm concerned that the screen may be scratched (the selector switch has a large scratch over it) and I have messaged the seller asking what the screen condition is like if the screen protector is removed.  He got back with me quickly saying he would check into it and reply, haven't heard back from him on that yet.

However, for $300 it's hardly a bargain when 'new' ones have gone for $325 and Black Phoenix's comments suggest that it's an older unit that may have other issues like superCap - which can likely be fixed but I'd rather pay an extra 10% and get a good one. I'm not sure what I'll do but I suspect the seller will send me a picture with the screen protector off; I suppose I could offer him lower than $300 citing the old serial number and the scratched condition.

There are others I'm watching, one that's from a seller called cdubya described as 'new' but the only picture it gives is of a raggedy-looking box and that one's already at $300 - the fact that he's only got 23 reviews also makes me worry that he's another scammer.

Quiltinthehills is the next one in line and that one's got good pictures showing a clean meter but nothing with power on; it's at $280 right now but, with 11 bidders, I predict it will go for $330.  That seller has 4190 reviews but says 'no returns' which is almost meaningless, I've gone back to such sellers when there have been issues and they have offered refunds (full or partial) or returns.

Get a new 1 buddy!

You want to log and stuff to your PC right? The cable and software will cost you another £50 and the croc clips and hanger etc will be another £30 if you buy 1 with just the meter and leads. You'll get a brand new 1 with all that in for £350 plus you'll get a warranty etc and you know he meter hasn't been abused or got some problem you'll inherit.

I'd get new if I was you.

Offline Marco1971

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2019, 01:25:28 pm »

You bought it with that firmware right? Because there aren't any firmware 1.41 available online to download or install.

To be sincere the only firmware released to the 287/289 was to fix the problem were if you shine a light or if sun hits at the IR port while logging something it would stop logging when entering into power save mode.

Other than that no further firmware was released for the 287/289 series. So I don't know what is the 1.41 changes regarding the new models. Related with PCB revision?

From FLUKE web page

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/support/software-downloads/fluke-287-and-289-multimeter-firmware-update

"Fluke 287 multimeters beginning with serial number 42700001 and Fluke 289 multimeters beginning with serial number 42830001 ship with firmware version 1.41. Older versions of the Fluke 287 or 289 with lower serial numbers cannot be upgraded to version 1.41"

Marco

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2019, 01:31:10 pm »

From FLUKE web page

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/support/software-downloads/fluke-287-and-289-multimeter-firmware-update

"Fluke 287 multimeters beginning with serial number 42700001 and Fluke 289 multimeters beginning with serial number 42830001 ship with firmware version 1.41. Older versions of the Fluke 287 or 289 with lower serial numbers cannot be upgraded to version 1.41"

Marco

Mate, thanks for your input, but if you realize in my other post before that one I specially linked that same article saying the same.

On the one you quoted I was just speculating what kind of reason it was. Just that.

And as someone already also told, they have one that starts with the serial 3826 and have the v1.41, so outside of the range of what is on the Website, that was the reason of my speculation and asking if the DMM was bought new or if it had gone for repair and the PCB had been upgraded for some reason, having a low serial number but a recent PCB that supports the new firmware.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:34:39 pm by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline dab147315Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2019, 03:24:21 pm »
@Gandalf_Sr This is the one I bid on and won!

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2019, 03:28:42 pm »

My unit came back from Fluke under warranty repair with different PCB with v1.41.  The FW1.41 offers no advantage over the v1.16 except for the improved battery life (subjective observation).  I believe it is related only to the PCB revision and not a big deal.

To wait for a "New" unit rather than a used unit is the OP's choice.  However, just because the unit is new does not guarantee the v1.41FW.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971, Black Phoenix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf