Author Topic: Fluke 289 Meter  (Read 26172 times)

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke 289 Meter
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2019, 03:36:52 pm »
@Gandalf_Sr This is the one I bid on and won!
The same seller has more...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-FLUKE-289-TRUE-RMS-INDUSTRIAL-DATA-LOGGING-DIGITAL/362798618140?hash=item54787b961c:g:TPoAAOSwiBJaDirn

If your unit was as described then this would be a decent deal...

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2019, 03:43:11 pm »
Looks like t was made in June 2019. Seems good after that battery problem!
Nice... very nice.  Congratulations on your score!

Offline dab147315Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2019, 03:43:57 pm »
Thanks! :-+

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2019, 04:02:38 pm »
A bit off topic but,,,,

For those of you that already have the 289/287 I found these screen protectors for mine. They are awesome! 100 times better than the one that comes on the meter. They fit perfectly on the screen and stick really well so the edges don't start peeling up. Ive have mine on for over a year and it is still perfect.
I have got ones for my other meters and just cut them to size myself but if you want them to they can cut you a specified size so long as you give them the measurements.

Well worth a sky diver!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/upscreen-Scratch-Clear-Screen-Protector-for-Fluke-MultiMeter-289-Scratch-proof/362409603431?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

The following users thanked this post: Black Phoenix

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2019, 04:10:48 pm »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2019, 04:12:34 pm »
Yup. that could be a nice deal for him!  :-+

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2019, 04:16:06 pm »
I just want the man to finally have his TEA Fix with a new DMM from someone who doesn't take weeks to send, even not being for me I'm searching for stuff to help.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2019, 04:23:49 pm »
A bit off topic but,,,,

For those of you that already have the 289/287 I found these screen protectors for mine. They are awesome! 100 times better than the one that comes on the meter. They fit perfectly on the screen and stick really well so the edges don't start peeling up. Ive have mine on for over a year and it is still perfect.
I have got ones for my other meters and just cut them to size myself but if you want them to they can cut you a specified size so long as you give them the measurements.

Well worth a sky diver!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/upscreen-Scratch-Clear-Screen-Protector-for-Fluke-MultiMeter-289-Scratch-proof/362409603431?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I have the same screen protector and it is excellent.  I use it on both my Fluke 289 and 199C.  You can also ordered directly from Protectionfilms24 and receive fast shipping to the U.S. in about a week.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2019, 04:31:27 pm »
@Gandalf_Sr This is the one I bid on and won!
Yeah, you beat my max bid by $5 :(  Hope it is a good one for you.  I'm going to hold off on the Fluke for now, I wanted a high end meter that could log data on its own but I can't justify $550 for the Fluke - just too much IMHO.

So I just picked up a used Keysight U1242C - which comes with a U1173B IR-to-USB cable - from Keysight on eBay for $204 plus tax (6%) - I made a 95% offer on their asking price and paid a total of $217.

The U1242C features:
– 10,000-count display
– Up to 0.09% basic DCV accuracy
– Battery life up to 400 hours
– Certified to IP 67 for water and dust protection
– Tested to withstand a 3-meter (10-ft) drop
– CAT III 1000 V / CAT IV 600 V overvoltage protection
– Harmonic ratio measurement to quickly identify the presence of harmonics in AC signals
– ZLOW, low impedance mode to eliminate false readings caused by stray voltages
– Vsense for non-contact voltage detection
– T1 – T2 differential temperature measurement
– Built-in flashlight!!!!

This will collect up to 2,000 readings stand alone, can connect to the Keysight Meter Logger software that I have on PC and iPhone, it has 1-button capture and download, plus I already own the U1117A Bluetooth adapter that allows up to 100 m range connecting to the meter.  The Fluke 289 has 100-200 hours battery life, 15,000 reading storage and a graphic display to look at the results but that's about it as far as I can see.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:27:57 am by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline drumbum

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2019, 04:43:04 pm »
Here is some more sleazebay fun.

Check out this de-5000 listing (item#233390935646).

Have a look before it's pulled.

100% positive feedback,...all fridge magnets...

So many items in the sellers store!

|O

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2019, 05:03:36 pm »

|O
Looks very fishy.
Check out the seller feedback.  Same few buyers buying fridge magnets for $1.00...

Offline drumbum

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2019, 05:13:36 pm »

|O
Looks very fishy.
Check out the seller feedback.  Same few buyers buying fridge magnets for $1.00...

If you go to page 5 of feedback, you'll see he accepted a best offer on a few $460 something fridge magnets.

How sleazebay allows this is  :palm:.  I assume the scammers open multiple accounts well in advance.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2019, 01:21:15 pm »
Yeah, you beat my max bid by $5 :(  Hope it is a good one for you.  I'm going to hold off on the Fluke for now, I wanted a high end meter that could log data on its own but I can't justify $550 for the Fluke - just too much IMHO.

So I just picked up a used Keysight U1242C - which comes with a U1173B IR-to-USB cable - from Keysight on eBay for $204 plus tax (6%) - I made a 95% offer on their asking price and paid a total of $217.

The U1242C features:
– 10,000-count display
– Up to 0.09% basic DCV accuracy
– Battery life up to 400 hours
– Certified to IP 67 for water and dust protection
– Tested to withstand a 3-meter (10-ft) drop
– CAT III 1000 V / CAT IV 600 V overvoltage protection
– Harmonic ratio measurement to quickly identify the presence of harmonics in AC signals
– ZLOW, low impedance mode to eliminate false readings caused by stray voltages
– Vsense for non-contact voltage detection
– T1 – T2 differential temperature measurement
– Built-in flashlight!!!!

This will collect up to 2,000 readings stand alone, can connect to the Keysight Meter Logger software that I have on PC and iPhone, it has 1-button capture and download, plus I already own the U1117A Bluetooth adapter that allows up to 100 m range connecting to the meter.  The Fluke 289 has 100-200 hours battery life, 15,000 reading storage and a graphic display to look at the results but that's about it as far as I can see.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Looks interesting, hope to see when it arrives and how is your opinion about it.

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2019, 10:01:23 am »
Found this discussion interesting as I was about to bid on a 289 but it seems that the serial number is of a lower order and it has firmware 1.10, so it can only be upgraded to 1.16. Earlier comments seem to suggest that the later 1.41 firmware corrects at least two issues - sunlight falling on the IR sensor problem, and battery life. Are these also fixed in 1.16? Or do I need to look out a newer meter with 1.41?

I noticed that some listings state "with TrendCapture" but actually come without the the FormsView software or IR interface, whereas other listings clearly show the complete kit in the photos. I asked one seller who showed only the meter and probe leads but had that phrase in the description whether these accessories were included and he insisted that TrendCapture was included, but seemed uncertain as to the accessories that I was referring to. The confusion seems to stem from the fact that Fluke use the phrase "with TrendCapture" on the box regardless of whether its the complete kit or a standalone meter. I get it that TrendCapture is supported on the meter - with the correct accessories and software - but I find the phrase "with TrendCapture" somewhat mis-leading when supplied as a standalone unit without those accessories.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:50:41 am by WaveyDipole »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2019, 11:44:28 am »
Found this discussion interesting as I was about to bid on a 289 but it seems that the serial number is of a lower order and it has firmware 1.10, so it can only be upgraded to 1.16. Earlier comments seem to suggest that the later 1.41 firmware corrects at least two issues - sunlight falling on the IR sensor problem, and battery life. Are these also fixed in 1.16? Or do I need to look out a newer meter with 1.41?

The IR sensor problem was fixed with the v1.16. Logically the 1.41 includes that and as someone already said also improved battery life, but that is his words, nowhere in Fluke's website is explained what is the fixes from the 1.41. If you go to the software section on the 287/289 is only mentioned the fact that older equipments don't support the new firmware, but the new firmware is no where to be found as downloadable in Fluke's website, the only file available in the page is the update to 1.16. Again we suppose that is only the aforementioned battery life and since it's only the new PCB revisions who support that a change in said PCB, as an update to different ARM CPU or other components that need said firmware because they are different from the original PCB.

I noticed that some listings state "with TrendCapture" but actually come without the the FormsView software or IR interface, whereas other listings clearly show the complete kit in the photos. I asked one seller who showed only the meter and probe leads but had that phrase in the description whether these accessories were included and he insisted that TrendCapture was included, but seemed uncertain as to the accessories that I was referring to. The confusion seems to stem from the fact that Fluke use the phrase "with TrendCapture" on the box regardless of whether its the complete kit or a standalone meter. I get it that TrendCapture is supported on the meter - with the correct accessories and software - but I find the phrase "with TrendCapture" somewhat mis-leading when supplied as a standalone unit without those accessories.

As also said before, TrendCapture is one of the functions of the 287/289, is the ability for the DMM to enter in logging mode and register in his memory captures of the measurement he is done by time stamps defined in the configuration of the recording and the viewing of said logging in the screen as a graph you can zoom in and out. All 287/289 do that, being a listing that only sells the DMM plus the leads and thermocouple or the FVF kit that is the DMM, leads, thermocouple, ir cable, FVF software, the magnetic hanging strap and carrying case.

You can see in the right table that the first item says "Fluke 289 True-RMS Industrial Logging Multimeter with TrendCapture", same as this one says in the main title:

Again the equipment itself is the same, both have TrendCapture the difference is what is included in the box, more items or less.

TrendCapture is the function the 287/289 have, without needing extra software or hardware, it comes with it. The Fluke View Forms software is what needs the IR Cable to download the logging data from the memory of the DMM to the PC and make reports or analysis later on. It's an error from the seller who lists and don't know what they are listing. What you should look for is if you want the kit with the software and ir cable if that is included in the listing or if its the DMM and the leads/thermocouple only.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 11:52:26 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2019, 12:32:25 pm »
Good luck with your attempts to bid on eBay WaveyDipole, I gave up after 1) getting a scam seller (I still haven't got the refund from superdeal85 yet) and 2) being outbid multiple times at the $320 mark and 3) having my reasonable (IMHO) best offers declined multiple times e.g. $350 offer for an item listed at $400.

Getting an older one sounds like a crap shoot, you could get one with a bad supercapacitor (which is fixable) and many of them look like they's been bashed around in an HVAC tech's bag for a few years or soaked in oil.

I gave up on the 289, reconsidered my needs, and bought a used Keysight U1242C for $217 (from the eBay Keysight store) which can record up to 2,000 readings stand-alone (enough for my needs - yes you can set the sampling period), has double the battery run time of the 289, but has no on-instrument graphical readout.  I'm kind of invested in Keysight already; I own the U1117A adapter that allows me to get data from up to 100 m away over Bluetooth using the very nice (and free) Keysight Meter Logger software for IOS and Android? which also allows up to 3 different instruments to be connected simultaneously . Plus there's free Keysight Handheld Meter Logger software for the PC that can connect via the USB-IR serial cable (one came free with my new meter plus I already owned one) or, you can use the U1117A Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the back of the meter to link your meter from up to 100 m away.  I own 2 other Keysight multimeters (U1242B and U1252B) plus a 34461A benchtop.

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2019, 01:17:34 pm »
The IR sensor problem was fixed with the v1.16. Logically the 1.41 includes that and as someone already said also improved battery life, but that is his words,  nowhere in Fluke's website is explained what is the fixes from the 1.41. If you go to the software section on the 287/289 is only mentioned the fact that older equipments don't support the new firmware, but the new firmware is no where to be found as downloadable in Fluke's website, the only file available in the page is the update to 1.16. Again we suppose that is only the aforementioned battery life and since it's only the new PCB revisions who support that a change in said PCB, as an update to different ARM CPU or other components that need said firmware because they are different from the original PCB.

Yes, exactly my point no real information regarding what has been fixed and no download for 1.41, just 1.16. Looks like 1.41 is being installed at production time, but not being made available for download so what gives? We are left guessing, but thank you for confirming that the sensor issue is fixed in 1.16. The supposition regarding battery life is also logical as it would make sense that it may have required a hardware + firmware change acccomplish.

TrendCapture is the function the 287/289 have, without needing extra software or hardware, it comes with it. The Fluke View Forms software is what needs the IR Cable to download the logging data from the memory of the DMM to the PC and make reports or analysis later on. It's an error from the seller who lists and don't know what they are listing. What you should look for is if you want the kit with the software and ir cable if that is included in the listing or if its the DMM and the leads/thermocouple only.

Point taken. You can capture and view the results on the meter. The PC software is not essential, so I guess it is indeed fair to say that it comes "with TrendCapture".

Getting an older one sounds like a crap shoot, you could get one with a bad supercapacitor (which is fixable) and many of them look like they's been bashed around in an HVAC tech's bag for a few years or soaked in oil.

Yes, have seen a few like that and am aware of the supercap issue. The one I'm looking at is as new, comes with the whole kit including IR interface and FormsView software for a price that some meters alone sell for and looks a genuine sale. The drawback is that it has an older serial number and firmware so evidently has the older board and can't be upgraded beyond 1.16. I guess that I'm trying to understand what the drawbacks (if any) would be.

I gave up on the 289, reconsidered my needs, and bought a used Keysight U1242C for $217 (from the eBay Keysight store) which can record up to 2,000 readings stand-alone (enough for my needs - yes you can set the sampling period), has double the battery run time of the 289, but has no on-instrument graphical readout.

I don't have any investment in Keysight, but I'm not entirely happy with the Brymen 869s. It seems to work well enough, but the feel of that rotary knob and the large gap makes me uneasy when using it. The 5-digit display feature was enticing, but really not particularly accurtate. I can't say that I am dis-pleased with it as it does its job, but not entirely happy with it either. The purchase was originally a toss-up between the Brymen 869s and Fluke 287/289. The 289 has features such as Low-Z and Low Ohms, and others that I don't have on any other handheld meter and I appreciate its a meter that one would use in special circumstances, i.e. where logging, or a specific function is required. I use the Fluke 187 most of the time as my go-to meter. Still, a re-consideration of one's needs (do I really need this?) is always a good idea and I will give this some thought. Agilent do seem to have a good range of DMMs, but I am baffled by their use of NiMH batteries rather than LiON if they are going down the re-chargeable route. Anyways, I mention this only as a backgound as to the reason for my renewed interest in the 289.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2019, 01:58:36 pm »
I don't have any investment in Keysight, but I'm not entirely happy with the Brymen 869s. It seems to work well enough, but the feel of that rotary knob and the large gap makes me uneasy when using it. The 5-digit display feature was enticing, but really not particularly accurtate. I can't say that I am dis-pleased with it as it does its job, but not entirely happy with it either. The purchase was originally a toss-up between the Brymen 869s and Fluke 287/289. The 289 has features such as Low-Z and Low Ohms, and others that I don't have on any other handheld meter and I appreciate its a meter that one would use in special circumstances, i.e. where logging, or a specific function is required. I use the Fluke 187 most of the time as my go-to meter. Still, a re-consideration of one's needs (do I really need this?) is always a good idea and I will give this some thought. Agilent do seem to have a good range of DMMs, but I am baffled by their use of NiMH batteries rather than LiON if they are going down the re-chargeable route. Anyways, I mention this only as a backgound as to the reason for my renewed interest in the 289.

I will be sincere, do you really need the 287/289 being an owner of a 187? Probably with the cable and the software you have most of the 287 minus the reading of the capture on screen and the big screen.

I have a 289, it was my big spend first DMM, other than the normal chinesium powered less than 30€ no safety ratings DMM. But with the years, the TrendCapture is nice but in reality not essential. If I was able to exchange my 289 for an 189 I would probably thing a lot about it. When I've done the deal of the 87V this year I was looking at the 89-IV before and was almost closing deal with it but the price that I got the 87V was inexcusable and I didn't had a reason to buy both, other than TEA (something that I'm trying to resist, and it's been very difficult since I started visiting this community... ;D).

The 187/189 combines both of best worlds -  Fast turn on as the 87V and better accuracy with the logging from the 287/289. It's nice to have all the bells and whistles but...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:03:32 pm by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2019, 02:44:55 pm »
I appreciate your sincerity and I take the point about TEA, which can get to the best of us! What I would like is to have two very capable handheld DMMs, preferably with somewhat different features, so that between the two one can cover just about everything. I am very pleased with the 187 so the 189 might be a good choice for the second meter despite being nearly identical to the 187. The 87-V would also be a good option although I feel the latter is overpriced for what it is, even though well respected. The 289 (but not the 287) seems to have a few extras that differentiate it from both, such as the simultaneous display of min/avg/max as well as the graph, but as you say, these might be considered bells and whistles.... I am also going to have a good look at the Agilents again. I seem also to remember looking at the Hioki, just not many used ones about.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:52:43 pm by WaveyDipole »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2019, 03:59:21 pm »
WaveyDipole, If you go the Agilent/Keysight route, make sure you get the U1242C rather than the U1242B, their functionality is very similar but the U1242B can only capture 200 readings internally but the U1242C can hold 2,000.  I have bought several items from their eBay store and they have always been great although they often take a week to ship the item; they usually accept a bid of 90% - 95% of the asking price too.

I also think that I got lucky getting a U1173B cable with the meter I just bought, they normally run around $35 and I'm pretty sure they don't come standard with the U124X series meters.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2019, 04:01:46 pm »
I also did not see much advantage on the 289. I have a 189 and it works well, but just like you I prefer a combination of meters that give me a good comprehensive set of features.

At the moment the set of meters I would take with me to an isolated island are:

- Keysight U1273A, which has excellent data logging and very flexible trigger options: not only by manual keypress and time interval but also with Autohold, MinMax and Peak triggers (an example of AutoHold logging is shown in Dave's ancient video about resistor tolerance redux) - the LCD version U1272A also has all this. This meter covers the functions of the 189 and the cheaper logging software and interfaces make it a more interesting option. Ah, this meter also has Zlow and Smart Ω features, which i use a lot.

- Fluke 27/FM (grey version), which is very robust and its color is ideal to be used around the house on various duties in dirty areas. It does not have backlight, which is a problem when I am doing occasional measurements in dark areas (the U1273A and its OLED is unbeatable). This meter may be replaced by a newly acquired 87V, as it inspires the same confidence in robustness and has a backlight.

- Brymen BM857, which is an excellent meter with 500000 counts (ideal for trends) and absurdly fast! It also has datalogging, but much less flexible than the Keysight above.

The others I have are quite interesting on their own merits but have quirks and overlaps that do not make the list: Keysight U1282A (slower than the U1273A above and missing Zlow and Smart Ω, but it is water resistant), Fluke 189 (overlapped by the U1273A/U1282A), UT61E (fast and small meter, but fragile and with insufficient protection) and a series of smaller meters that have portability as their main feature (the Sanwa PM300 is my preferred, although closely followed by the UT136C).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:54:51 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2019, 04:03:45 pm »
The 187/189 combines both of best worlds -  Fast turn on as the 87V and better accuracy with the logging from the 287/289. It's nice to have all the bells and whistles but...

As an owner of 87V, 189 and 287s , the 189 has my vote, apart from instant turn on like 87V does, features wise is comparable to 287/9 except the charting of course (28X strongest point), also the LCD display is much-much more superior, large sharp segmented LCD compared to 287/9 that has crappy dot matrix which looks grayish and fuzzy, I own two 287s, both are same and did compare to others like 289s, all are same.  :--

Example of my 287 screen shots took few years ago with the best contrast adjustment and best angle from the camera. Firmware is updated now, it was taken when I freshly acquired them.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2019, 04:27:41 pm »
I went the other way...

I sold my Fluke 177, 87v, 189 and also the 121GW and held on to my Fluke 289, Brymen 867s, Keysight 1273A and a cheap Hyelec meter.
I only use my meters for hobby stuff though so maybe that is the difference.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2019, 05:35:04 pm »
I went the other way...

I sold my Fluke 177, 87v, 189 and also the 121GW and held on to my Fluke 289, Brymen 867s, Keysight 1273A and a cheap Hyelec meter.
I only use my meters for hobby stuff though so maybe that is the difference.
Interesting, comparing the 189 to the Keysight U1242C, it looks like the 189 only has a 72 hour battery life (backlight off) and (maybe) 1,000 logging intervals (that can only be seen on a remote PC after download)?  The U1242C has a 400 hour battery life and can store 2,000 readings which can be viewed on the meter and sent/viewed on nice, free PC software so, in my mind, the Keysight U1242C looks like the winner assuming you can get it at the same price.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2019, 07:22:18 pm »
PayPal is my friend  :D

They sent me an email today confirming that my $331 has been refunded by that scammer superdeal85

I called them (not a bad experience) because their email said "you should see the money in your account now" but it wasn't there :(  Anyway the agent confirmed that the email was genuine but the money will be refunded to the linked credit card that it had come from - all I have to do is wait for it to appear as a credit to my card (it's not there yet).  Not that it's caused me cash flow issues but they've had my money now for 21 days for an item that never shipped and the original PayPal email that said I'd received a refund was dated Nov 1 so they've already had my money almost a week just in the refund process.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf