Author Topic: Fluke 289 Meter  (Read 25688 times)

Offline dab147315Topic starter

• Contributor
Fluke 289 Meter
« on: October 16, 2019, 03:12:38 pm »
I bought a new meter from ebay that was manufactured in January 2019 and after I got it, installed new batteries made by Duracell Optimum 1.5 V Alkaline AA kind of never used it, but made sure it worked and set the time and date and shut it off and after about 2 week tried to turn it on but was dead. Took the battery compartment out and you could see the batteries actually were bad and corroded the battery pack a little. Actually bought a new cover for 50 bucks, but clean the contacts in the old one that was new with the meter and have been watching the batteries and meter for about a week Turning it on everyday and seems ok. I know the meter will drain down the batteries over time but in two weeks of not being used! What do you guys think is going on. Can I use lithium battery? But what to think about this problem and also bring new. Maybe possible when I put it in its new case I hit the power button, but not sure. Advise would be nice!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 04:26:07 pm by dab147315 »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline mjkuwp

• Supporter
  • mechanical engineering defector
    • The Mz Lab
Re: Fluke 289 Meter
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 01:51:46 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-289-supercapbattery-draining-issues-now-resolved-other-problems-to-watch/

my first thought would be to switch to rechargeable NiMH instead of using alkaline batteries.  This would avoid the problem with corrosion.  I almost never purchase Alkaline batteries anymore.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 03:27:52 am »
Thanks for the advise and will do that! :-+

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 03:49:21 am »
I bought a new meter from ebay
Since you live in the USA, I'm curious why you bought a new meter from ebay?  Was it well under priced compared to authorized Fluke resellers?

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 04:29:46 am »
Since you live in the USA, I'm curious why you bought a new meter from ebay?  Was it well under priced compared to authorized Fluke resellers?
I don't know what the deal is with Fluke on Amazon in the USA but their prices for new meters have been ridiculous for the past few years. https://ca.camelcamelcamel.com/Fluke-FLUKE-87-V-Digital-Multimeter/product/B0002YFD1K?context=search

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 06:56:41 am »
I use Energizer lithium in all my meters, Fluke 289 included and never had a problem. They last a long time and no leaks so far!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:58:13 am by Terry01 »
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 08:50:17 am »
Isn't the 289 one of the meters that has the failing super capacitor issue?  If yes and if by removing the batteries, you lose all saved settings, I would suspect that the super Cap may be bad.

I've been trying to snag a 289 on eBay for a while but I keep losing the bidding war, not paying > $300.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 09:03:41 am »
The 2019 version supposedly instead of the super capacitor now have a battery, I read somewhere about that.

Mine is the 2007 version, and gone to Fluke for repair exactly because of this problem in 2012.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:37:31 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 01:32:12 pm »
Yes the 289 has the issue with the super cap and I am sure they have replaced it with a battery cell in the newer 289's also.
I think the only way to check is to have a look and from the pictures I have seen of the leaking caps it is pretty easy to determine if you have the cap and also if it is bad. It leaks a horrible gunky stuff.
I have also seen where people change out a bad cap and replace it with a button cell. I am sure RS or Element 14 or somewhere sells them for around £5 or so.
There is a thread on here somewhere about this, I found out about it on here.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 01:55:46 pm »
Similar scenario here w.r.t. batteries: Lithium non-rechargeable batteries all around. Expensive, but at least the survivability rate is much higher.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 03:25:41 pm »
Yes I thought I got a good price for $400 bucks!

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 03:31:53 pm »
I got the new battery case from here just in case!  https://www.jensentools.com/fluke-2824477-fluke-28x-201-battery-assembly-door-for-fluke-287-289/p/593-410
Bad design on this for sure.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 06:15:52 pm »
Yes I thought I got a good price for $400 bucks!
The reason I ask is because buying from an authorized Fluke dealer/reseller gives you it's "lifetime warranty" as described in the user manual.  See T&C for details.

Buying from a non authorized source may disqualify you from the above.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 10:24:13 pm »
Just bought a 'new' 289 on eBay for $331, I think that's a good deal

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 12:06:31 am »
That's a good deal. You'll be well happy with it. I would say for sure get yourself some Energizer lithiums to power it!  :-+

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 04:53:24 am »
I bought my "New" Fluke 289 with a test lead kit on ePray in Dec 2018.  It was in good condition and I got it at a really great price.  During the first month of use, I ran into a low ohms fade issue with the display.  Apparently, this problem affected units manufactured around 2013-14.  I contacted Fluke and they told me to send the unit in because it was defective.  I sent my 289 in and they covered everything under warranty except the shipping costs to their facility.  I received my meter back within 10 days with a new motherboard and a calibration certificate.  No questions or proof of purchased was asked for at anytime.  Maybe I got lucky or maybe that is how they handle customer service with one of their flagship models. The support from Fluke was excellent throughout my ordeal.  If you have a Fluke that has a battery drain issue, you should at least try and see if they will cover it under their warranty.  You have nothing to lose.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 07:37:57 am »
I got mine new in Feb 2018 with a years calibration certificate for £340. I haven't had any of the cap problems or anything like that. I think mine may have the button cell but I am not 100% sure. Maybe someone who knows better than me can tell from the photo below?

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 09:03:35 am »

My 289 and 189 won't ever see a supercap or button cell again, I'm over it   :phew:
don't need them, don't want them, don't need to think about them  = good riddance   :--

I cut the troublemakers out a few months ago, -CAREFULLY- with sharp nippers, like you would a parasitic growth or tumor,
and the meters could care less about the procedure.

They work great and no ESR zap risk or desolder heat dramas on the board by doing it the recommended ways,
so no more leakers, crusty brown beards or partial shorts to aid battery hogging to lose sleep over  :=\

Thanks Fluke Supp?ort for suggesting I buy two new 'upgrade' meters  :-DMM :-DMM  if not taking the overpriced service route   :o

like W0W, one would never have thought of that option!  ::)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 09:28:28 am »

Thanks Fluke Supp?ort for suggesting I buy two new 'upgrade' meters  :-DMM :-DMM  if not taking the overpriced service route   :o

like W0W, one would never have thought of that option!  ::)

Well I don't censor them. In reality they provide you with a repair or two new upgrade DMM maintaining the functionality of keeping the date and time when removing the batteries. They would not give you a alternative were they are going to cripple one of the functionalities by removing a component.

Since the equipment it's yours because you paid you can do whatever you want with it, and that was what you've done.

I'm not defending them, yes they should had found a different way to keep the info by other means, as a battery in a compartment under the battery compartment, in a different slot, plugged with a cable to the main board instead of the super capacitor who looked like a good idea in the start and then we saw what happened.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 01:53:05 pm »
I use Energizer lithium in all my meters, Fluke 289 included and never had a problem. They last a long time and no leaks so far!
Panasonic Eneloop (Rechargeable NiMH) works well with zero issues to report.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 04:05:47 pm »

I have heard quite a few people recommending the Eneloop rechargeable batteries. I will grab a couple of packs and try them next battery change.

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 04:52:01 pm »
Just bought a 'new' 289 on eBay for $331, I think that's a good deal
  :-+

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 04:56:27 pm »
All meters on  Energizer lithiums to power now! :phew:

• Contributor

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 05:12:55 pm »
I am happy with the Energizer lithium in my meters so I don't think you'll be disappointed. My 289 has lasted well longer than I expected considering how much they are known for chewing through batteries. No leaks in any meters either to date.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971, w5cpu

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 05:14:03 pm »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2019, 06:47:18 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 11:55:50 pm »

I have heard quite a few people recommending the Eneloop rechargeable batteries. I will grab a couple of packs and try them next battery change.

Any battery, be it a good rep/bunny endorsed/high price 

or cheaper than cheap flaky packaged no name/Blah Power/  two dollar type

or 1000 shot rechargeables   

are only good batteries to buy if they don't leak ! especially if not used and or just past their use by date.

and hang the so called 'performance' and 'longevity' advertising BS,
which doesn't wash when the leaked gunk has trashed an expensive multimeter  >:(

or worst case scenario: killed off junior's FAVORITE shutup TOY  :'(    =   parents :scared: :scared:

I've also seen rechargables leak that were left for a period and discharged

and up to a few years ago, crapped out Enerjizzer alkalines used to be a guaranteed find in big dollar multimeters, especially Flukes,
and DSLR cameras and bells n whistles flash units and slaves etc

Big dollar lithiums have leaked in new sealed packages stored in 'ideal conditions'
just when called in for backup duty in a flat camera, out in the middle of picturesque nowhere..  :palm:

fwiw I've seen a lot less instances of Duracell alkalines crapping out, staying intact years past their expiry date  :-+
The spent 9 volt ones in smoke detectors are handy as multimeter batteries, as most meters will work fine at 8xx volts

Hoping that the leaker trend dies with Eneloops, time will tell

and then again, which Eneloops will hold up better? The real deal or the knockoffs?  :-//

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:31:43 am by Electro Detective »

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 02:33:08 am »
I have never had any problems with the Panasonic Eneloops.  I use the 4th generation version.  So far, so good as long as my equipment can handle the lower voltage without issue, I will continue to use them.

Duracell's are my favorite brand but they leak in certain types of equipment.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 02:38:19 am »
Use Eneloops too for my 287, no complain at all and I do lots of logging and their capacity is more than enough.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 11:30:54 am »
Now I'm starting to worry that the eBay seller is a scammer; the meter hasn't shipped yet and there's a few comments like...

Items never shipped, never arrived, no word from seller. Scammer, AVOID.   Buyer: a***o (private). More than a year ago Fluke 289 (#132752242130)

Although there are a few that say that they did receive Fluke 289s.

In the US there are poor consumer protection laws but buying through PayPal solves that so I'm not worried about losing my money.

The following users thanked this post: Tinderbox (UK)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2019, 02:12:13 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg2647587/#msg2647587

Same as me mate, the seller of my 87V also had 3 negative feedbacks, one of them on the 87V that someone won and he didn't sent but refunded the money.

I was also having cold feet when I saw that, after paying a so low price for the equipment in question... Although it was real and I received. But yes, Paypal will be your friend, 30 days after the end of the auction, if you didn't have it in your doorstep, open a dispute and the money comes right back to your account.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:53:43 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2019, 02:34:28 pm »
It has happened to me before - what I don't understand is why anyone would go to all the trouble of listing something, getting a buyer at the asking price, and then not shipping it.  Is there a scam angle that I am unaware of?

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2019, 04:20:13 pm »
In this post is some of the things related with that:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/(ebay)-new-der-ee-de-5000-w-tweezers-etc-for-cheap/

Basically Hacked accounts, the typical "Too Good to Be True". Account is Hacked, money is transferred from hacked account to another hacked account with a hacked bank account, money is then converted in cash on a ATM. Or Account is Hacked, received money from sellers, buy other items delivered to PO Boxes with fake names, sell items on locally or other websites like Craigslist, cash in.

Rinse and Repeat. Bonus points if you put a very sought-after item in a lower price (iPhone new model by half price or even less).

That's the gist I got from their modus operandi.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:43:02 pm by Black Phoenix »

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 07:48:43 pm »
I bought a new meter from ebay that was manufactured in January 2019 and after I got it, installed new batteries made by Duracell Optimum 1.5 V Alkaline AA kind of never used it, but made sure it worked and set the time and date and shut it off and after about 2 week tried to turn it on but was dead. Took the battery compartment out and you could see the batteries actually were bad and corroded the battery pack a little. Actually bought a new cover for 50 bucks, but clean the contacts in the old one that was new with the meter and have been watching the batteries and meter for about a week Turning it on everyday and seems ok. I know the meter will drain down the batteries over time but in two weeks of not being used! What do you guys think is going on. Can I use lithium battery? But what to think about this problem and also bring new. Maybe possible when I put it in its new case I hit the power button, but not sure. Advise would be nice!
So far with the new Lithium batteries and new battery case holder I am good, but wonder why when I turn on the light it goes to high, then hit button again goes to low.Seems like all the videos I see it's the opposite. Maybe it's because of this being made in January 2019?

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2019, 08:00:50 pm »
@Gandalf_Sr Hope all goes ok for you! FYI this is the second 289 I bought from eBay. The first one I bought from a seller in California went down ok but when I got it after you turn it on it had a line that went down the middle of the screen!  I contacted him and sent a picture of it through eBay and he offered to send another one ,but I said no and returned it and got my money back through PayPal.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2019, 08:03:58 pm »
Last year, when I purchased my 289 on ePray, they had discount promotions for 15% off of anything for several different days.  Who knows if they will do it again these holidays but might be worth the wait...
858746-0

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2019, 11:59:55 pm »
Thanks guys, I sent a message to the seller this morning but nothing heard yet.  It occurs to me that the picture on the 289 was generic/lifted from somewhere else so I'm close to convinced that my seller was a scammer, ah well.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2019, 05:48:56 am »
Thanks guys, I sent a message to the seller this morning but nothing heard yet.  It occurs to me that the picture on the 289 was generic/lifted from somewhere else so I'm close to convinced that my seller was a scammer, ah well.

At first glance it doesn't look like a scammer, at least it wasn't in the past. I just counted all the Positive Feedback transactions this user had only on Fluke Items and as a seller he sold more than US$19,000 (more precisely US$19,164) just in Flukes, not Counting a Gipson Les Paul Guitar and some other high price items.

With that kind of sales past, that's an account that anyone at first glance would not bat an eye, even having some negatives (some people are shit, just give negative even if the item arrives or expect the item to arrive in 5 days instead when it's international sent or create a dispute to keep the item and the money).

My seller spent a week to send me the item in question to Hong Kong, after 3 messages sent to him and me expecting well I was basically scammed. But he sent, tracking no coincided with, and then when I received that thing was well packed, no damage and everything new. The item tracking was funny since it was Huston to LA, LA to South Korea, South Korea to HK. 1 week to move from Huston to LA Airport, 3 days for the delivery in Hong Kong.

Of course I don't rule the point that the guy just turn bad but he had an account that if I had a lot of stuff to sell I would love to have it. And accounts like that sometimes are sold in obscure websites...

You now just have to play the "wait game" and as soon as the window for delivery passes and you can dispute and recover the money.

[edit] Forgot to add a + in the calculation, gave me more that US$350,000. That is an error, the correct value is the one on the post, US$19,000...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:11:03 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2019, 06:22:15 am »
I agree wait another couple days and see what happens. Maybe you will get a happy resolution and your meter will be delivered.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2019, 09:05:08 am »
Thanks guys.  I followed through the eBay system on my active order, clicking on the 'I haven't received it yet' button and the response was, as you said, that I should wait until the estimated delivery date which is Sat Oct 26, especially of this seller has sold $350,000 worth of stuff.

I sent superdeal85 a message on Oct 21 simply asking 'when are you planning on shipping the item to me?' but haven't received anything back. Another look at the original listing shows a line that says shipping '1/2 weeks' which, if I were being picky, could mean 0.5 weeks or 1 to 2 weeks. I placed the order on Thu Oct 17 so I suppose it's possible that he could ship it to me on Thu Oct 24 and still have it arrive by Sat Oct 26.

I am not worried about the money, I know I'll get a full refund if I don't get the item, but uncommunicative sellers cause unnecessary worry IMHO.

I hope it's not a scam as it's a pretty good price for a 'new' 289 but it wasn't like a Black Friday special.

I'll play the waiting game  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 06:23:32 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 09:09:34 am »
@Gandalf_Sr Hope all goes ok for you! FYI this is the second 289 I bought from eBay. The first one I bought from a seller in California went down ok but when I got it after you turn it on it had a line that went down the middle of the screen!  I contacted him and sent a picture of it through eBay and he offered to send another one ,but I said no and returned it and got my money back through PayPal.
A missing line or column through the LCD is usually due to the seating of the LCD on the zebra strip and can be solved by removing and refitting the LCD but, in your situation, I would have returned the meter too.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2019, 02:18:42 pm »
Thanks guys.  I followed through the eBay system on my active order, clicking on the 'I haven't received it yet' button and the response was, as you said, that I should wait until the estimated delivery date which is Sat Oct 26, especially of this seller has sold $350,000 worth of stuff.

My mistake, the correct value is the one on my post, US$19,000.

The US$350,000 was because when adding 2 items, I forgot the + between that 2 items, so it gave me the sum of everything plus the error of the 2 prices together.

Still US$19,000 is still credible. And it's all the feedback that I can see in the first page as a Seller, since I didn't search on the others, so the total amount of sales of that user could be double or even triple, since he had more that 200 feedback.

As I said, if most of the transactions were small amounts to just get feedback, but no, the average of selling price of his items are around the US$300, just comparing the Flukes only. Again that doesn't mean anything, but If I was the owner of such account with such background I would think twice if I wanted to start scamming and loose all the credibility I had. But that's me.

A missing line or column through the LCD is usually due to the seating of the LCD on the zebra strip and can be solved by removing and refitting the LCD but, in your situation, I would have returned the meter too.

May be not: The screen itself is not an LCD with Zebra Strips. It's an 1/4 VGA display with white backlight, that looks like the B/W ScopeMeters, so with Flex Cable (I may be mistaken, I don't know if this kind of display still uses the elastomeric connector on the assembly then connected to a PCB and then to the flex cable).

An Image of the screen assembly itself:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:35:19 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline drumbum

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2019, 04:06:24 pm »
My last two purchases from sleazebay have been scams.

First a 328 type component checker...never arrived.  Seller refunds money, but says will you please send money when item arrives, which it never does.  Second time I have had that story, ...I feel that language is to dupe sleazebay.

Second was a purchase of a DE-5000 (full kit w/leads, tweezers etc.).  Two sellers popped up with cheap meters, (1 from NY for $69 and 1 from Hong Kong for $49) showing two available.  Then they show 20 sold. Both listings disappeared the next day. Shipped and arrived in US, only to get delivered to another state (or so the tracking indicates).  All listings in their store vanished and feedback became private. Sellers feedback score was 98% when ordered and now at 67% IIRC.

I learned from a sleazebay rep that the sellers in foreign countries don't print the shipping label automatically as sellers do here.  They hand print the address :palm:.

Sleazebay gives the scammers a platform to operate and feel no responsibility to rectify.

I opened a case on Oct. 17 and scammer opened a case on the 22nd :wtf:.  Should have went directly to PayPal to resolve.

Been a member of sleazebay since 1999 with a feedback score of 100%, but it seems to not matter.

You would think the risk of scams would be rather low as the items are not exactly well known products, i.e. like an Iphone or a jetski.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 04:15:30 pm by drumbum »

Offline drumbum

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2019, 04:17:47 pm »
I hope the above is germane to the discussion and not considered a threadjack.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2019, 09:07:53 pm »
I hope the above is germane to the discussion and not considered a threadjack.
I consider it's germane, thanks for sharing. I have heard nothing about my order.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2019, 08:18:07 am »

What's going on in October?

Scams form $9 to $900 meters appear to be rampant  :scared: :scared:

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2019, 08:52:06 am »
Have you heard anything postage wise on your meter yet?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2019, 05:04:21 pm »
Have you heard anything postage wise on your meter yet?
Nope.  I sent a message to the seller but got no reply.  Not looking good.  If he/she does eventually send it, they will score low marks for communication.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2019, 05:09:08 pm »
I just rechecked the eBay purchase info - it says shipping will be by USPS Priority Mail but I would still expect to get a shipping notification, is that right?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2019, 06:48:10 pm »
I just rechecked the eBay purchase info - it says shipping will be by USPS Priority Mail but I would still expect to get a shipping notification, is that right?

Yes I would think so, and a tracking number too once it's been posted

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2019, 11:00:00 am »
I just went back over all the reviews of the seller of my 289, superdeal85, and he pushes back on people who say he never shipped with stuff like... "Listing stated in Bold Terms "3-4 Week Ship Time" you refused. False Review."

There are many more positive reviews than negative saying they did receive their 289 (which this seller seems to focus on).

The listing for my purchase does say "1/2 week ship time" (which I suspect means 1 to 2 weeks, not half a week) and I placed the order on 17th so I may wait until closer to the end of the month before asking for a refund; it's already the 25th.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2019, 02:45:07 pm »
You've not too much longer to wait till the end of the month and then at least you'll have given him the time he said he'd post it by. I really hope you get it after all this waiting. I am sure you'll be well happy with it and feel it was worth the wait.
If not you'll get your $$'s back and can get another 1 from a more straight forward seller.
Fingers crossed it comes off for you.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2019, 10:30:30 pm »
Well today's mail delivery came and guess what? Yup, no 289.

I'll send the seller a polite message asking when he intends to ship (again) and, if I get no answer by the 30th, I'll ask PayPal/eBay for a refund.

What a waste of time.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2019, 11:08:56 pm »
It sure was/is buddy if it doesn't come together.
If that ends up being the case don't let it sour you from getting a meter that I am sure you'll enjoy. Paypal or Ebay will refund you no probs if he doesn't live up to when he said he'd post it for you and you can order 1 from another seller and get it in a few days as is normal.
That's a shame that's happened(if that ends up being the case) but there are sh*t heads everywhere. Thank goodness we only encounter them now and again and not every time.

Getting a new meter should be a nice experience.  :--

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2019, 09:51:21 am »
Well I got fed up of waiting so I requested a refund, the eBay system came back with this...

Hang tight, you should hear back from the seller soon
If you don't hear back or can't work something out with the seller, you can ask us to step in beginning Nov. 1.

So, unless he's just woken from his coma and responds with an offer to ship, I have to wait until the end of the month anyway.

My prediction is that I will hear nothing from superdeal85

[EDIT] Funny how asking for a refund gets their attention; superdeal85 responded saying he is going to ship "in October", he didn't say which October.  I agreed to wait until the end of this month.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 11:39:11 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2019, 11:35:25 am »
Well I got fed up of waiting so I requested a refund, the eBay system came back with this...

Hang tight, you should hear back from the seller soon
If you don't hear back or can't work something out with the seller, you can ask us to step in beginning Nov. 1.

So, unless he's just woken from his coma and responds with an offer to ship, I have to wait until the end of the month anyway.

My prediction is that I will hear nothing from superdeal85

Unfortunately I will say the same... It's sad to simply f#ck up a lot of positive seller feedback and good track in monetary terms. Looks like I also learn a lesson, never believe that everyone have good faint and professionalism even if the past says so.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2019, 11:40:09 am »
I'm still not 100% confident but I did get a response - see the edit at the end of my last post.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2019, 01:04:49 pm »
It seems you just have "to wait" some more as sad as that is!  :(

A simple message or whatever keeping you posted what is happening from the seller would have at least stopped you wondering so much. He did after all take quite a few of your hard earned $'s as soon as you decided you wanted the meter.

There should be a rule that sellers have to post within 1 week or something. How does it take people 2 or 3 weeks to get to a post office? If they can't do that they shouldn't be allowed to take your cash.
I suppose it's the same as everything in life.. you get good and bad.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 01:06:53 pm by Terry01 »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2019, 01:18:33 pm »
Terry, Thanks for the words of sympathy, you're like my EE therapist  :-DD

I assume that the seller already got my money which left my account the day I made the purchase (10 days ago now) but, if rule was that the buyer didn't get the money until they shipped, then maybe they'd ship faster?

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2019, 01:52:50 pm »
Well for sellers the money can't be withdraw or used for a while after being received if you are register as an Individual:

Most businesses will experience a time when their funds become unavailable, also known as a payment hold.
In this article, you’ll learn more what a payment hold is, why it happens, and how to resolve it.

What does it mean when funds are unavailable, or on hold?

PayPal may place a payment hold - for usually 21 days or less - in case there’s an issue with your order. When a payment hold is placed on your account, the money still belongs to you and once we get confirmation your buyer received the item they ordered in the condition promised, the funds will be available for withdrawal.

Why could your funds be temporarily unavailable?
We may place reserves, limitations, and other holds on your account (you can read more about them in our User Agreement), but here are some of the reasons why we might place a hold on your account.

You’re a first-time seller. When you’re a new PayPal seller, it takes time to build up enough history to demonstrate a pattern of positive buyer-seller transactions. The good news is you can usually move out of this status by confirming your identity and building up a history of positive selling activity.
    You haven't sold in a while. When your selling activity has been dormant for a long time, it will also take time to rebuild a history of positive buyer-seller transactions.
    Multiple customers filed for a refund, dispute or chargeback. If multiple customers file for a refund, dispute, or chargeback, it can delay the availability of your funds. The best way to resolve this is to work directly with your customers to prevent, or solve, disputes and chargebacks. Sometimes it’s possible that your customer filed for a refund, dispute or chargeback because someone illegally used their PayPal account to buy something. We ask that you hold off on shipping any items when this happens.
    Your selling pattern appears unusual or changed. An unusual sales activity includes: a recent spike in sales or a change in your average selling price, business platform or type of item being sold.
    You’re selling higher risk items. Higher risk items can include tickets, gift cards, consumer electronics, computers, and travel packages.

You can also read our User Agreement for more information on other holds and reserves we may place on your account.

How long PayPal holds your funds for.
By default, your funds will be held for 21 days. However, there are several things you can do to expedite this timeline.

What you can do to access your money sooner.
Assuming there are no issues with the order, you may be able to expedite the release of temporarily unavailable funds sooner than the scheduled 21 days by taking any of these actions from your PayPal account:

How can you prevent the delay of available funds?
There are four things you can do to help prevent a delay of available funds in the future:

1. Review the email we send and the alert in your account overview.

2. If a buyer pays you and the payment isn’t immediately available, we’ll notify you via an email titled “An important message about your PayPal balance” or via an alert in your Account Overview page. This email or alert will be the best source of information about why your payment isn’t available and what you may be able to do to prevent the delay of available funds in the future.

3. Prevent refunds, disputes, and chargebacks by:

Setting yourself up for success by posting actual photos and detailed, accurate descriptions of items so buyers know exactly what they’re getting.
    Being clear about shipping and handling time, costs, and methods; process orders promptly to avoid delays.
    Packing items carefully with appropriate, quality packing material, so customers receive the items in good condition.
    Uploading tracking information of our supported carriers or printing a USPS/UPS shipping label through PayPal.
    Clearly defining your return policy upfront to avoid problems later.

4. Communicate and work with your customers.

When customers contact you, do your best to be responsive and helpful. Working with customers early on can prevent a minor issue from ballooning into a much larger problem, and following the guidelines listed previously will help to reduce the number of buyer disputes, claims, and chargebacks. If you are involved in a buyer dispute, start working to resolve it right away. Frequent, honest, and open communication with the buyer via the Resolution Center can help clear up any misunderstanding.

5. Set up a customer service message.

Also, setting up a customer service message in the Resolution Center may help to prevent disputes. For example, if shipments will be delayed because of a hurricane in your region, letting the buyer know may answer their question and make a dispute unnecessary.

Selling on eBay.
If you sell on eBay, take a look at these eBay-specific tips for managing your seller performance rating.

You also have a limit of the amount of money you can withdraw to you bank account PER YEAR as an Individual.

Although between 2010 and 2012 I was registered as a Company, with a Company Number (in reality it was my personal financial number and Paypal accepted. Although now would be illegal and my account would be terminated if I don't show proof that I'm a business holder) and I remember that I didn't had neither the limitation of the money being put on hold for an amount of days nor even limit of the amount I could withdraw per year.

Currently I don't know, I didn't read the TOS for a while since I don't sell as much as before (to be sincere last year only sold 2 items, this year still didn't list any to be sold).

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 02:06:39 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2019, 02:20:17 pm »
Well for sellers the money can't be withdraw or used for a while after being received if you are register as an Individual:
Not true.  I sell on ePray as an individual and when an item is purchased, I receive the funds immediately for use.. no holds.  As it states in the TOA/TOS, once you establish a little history, PP releases the hold restrictions.

As a buyer, I always establish a line of communication with the seller if I don't see tracking information / package movement.  By the time the package is due for delivery and has not arrived, I file a claim.  The claims gets resolved quickly.  In the case of fraudulent sellers, hijacked accounts, etc., I usually receive an email notification from ePray letting me know that there may be an issue with the transaction and the sale was canceled with the funds returned to my account immediately.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2019, 02:23:54 pm »
Yes, that's why I put the terms of service.

As I stated below, since I don't sell a lot nowadays, I have to wait until being able to get the funds.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2019, 02:29:40 pm »
Well I did try to establish a line of communication with the seller a few days back but he never responded.  The eBay listing said that the item should be delivered by yesterday which I assume is why today was the first day that I was offered the option to request a refund...

...which I did because the seller hadn't responded to me - at all.  That, finally, seemed to get a response from him.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2019, 02:31:10 pm »
There is a service available in the U.S. called Informed Delivery with the USPS.  If you signup for it, you will receive notifications of First Class mail and any package that is ship via USPS with a tracking number to your address.  I have been signed up for several years and it's a great feature that give you a pre-alert for all your mailings... expected or not.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2019, 02:35:03 pm »
Well I did try to establish a line of communication with the seller a few days back but he never responded.  The eBay listing said that the item should be delivered by yesterday which I assume is why today was the first day that I was offered the option to request a refund...

...which I did because the seller hadn't responded to me - at all.  That, finally, seemed to get a response from him.
If you feel the deal is shady, request a refund.  Whatever you do, never close the case if you opened one.  ePray will automatically close it once there is a resolution like forcing the seller to refund your money without his input if he ignores you.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2019, 03:16:43 pm »

If you feel the deal is shady, request a refund.  Whatever you do, never close the case if you opened one.  ePray will automatically close it once there is a resolution like forcing the seller to refund your money without his input if he ignores you.
Thanks for the advice, the case is still open.  Now it's up to the seller to actually ship me the item which he described as 'new', that could be a whole 'nother bag of shit.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2019, 04:18:02 pm »
Terry, Thanks for the words of sympathy, you're like my EE therapist  :-DD

I assume that the seller already got my money which left my account the day I made the purchase (10 days ago now) but, if rule was that the buyer didn't get the money until they shipped, then maybe they'd ship faster?

Ha ha! I just hope you get it now or at least your $'s back sharpish and you can get another 1 and enjoy it.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2019, 10:19:33 pm »
Well the seller has got waaaay more communicative since I agreed to give him until the end of the month to ship; he just messaged me to say that he is planning on sending it Tuesday or Wednesday this week.  The case I opened is still active.

I don't think an actual scammer would be this communicative; we'll see   :popcorn:

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2019, 11:04:15 pm »
Well the seller has got waaaay more communicative since I agreed to give him until the end of the month to ship; he just messaged me to say that he is planning on sending it Tuesday or Wednesday this week.  The case I opened is still active.

I don't think an actual scammer would be this communicative; we'll see   :popcorn:

I agree, but we'll see. I really hope he posts it.

Hopefully he lives up to his word and posts it for you.
If he posts it on Tuesday how long will that have been since you ordered it (and paid for it) till he posts it? You wonder what has taken him so long to get to the post office.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2019, 12:13:01 am »
If he posts it on Tuesday how long will that have been since you ordered it (and paid for it) till he posts it? You wonder what has taken him so long to get to the post office.
I ordered an paid for it on Oct 17th; if posted on Tuesday, that will have been 12 days since the order was made.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2019, 06:42:44 am »
I ordered an paid for it on Oct 17th; if posted on Tuesday, that will have been 12 days since the order was made.

Unreal! I can't for the life of me think what would take anyone 2 weeks to get to a post office...

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2019, 12:11:08 am »
Hoo-fucking-ray! I got an email tonight saying my 289 has shipped!

Wonders never cease.

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2019, 02:28:39 am »
 :scared:

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2019, 07:02:09 am »
WOO-FUKING-HOO

At last!  :-+

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2019, 07:08:25 am »
Don't celebrate before you open the box...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2019, 07:09:54 am »
Don't celebrate before you open the box...

Awe man! Imagine that..... surely not!  :palm:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2019, 07:22:42 am »

Call me negative but..

I'll believe it when he sees it

holds it

all functions working  :phew:

The following users thanked this post: Black Phoenix

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2019, 08:06:35 am »
Well I know you guys are experiencing the joys of eBay purchasing vicariously through my telling of the events as they happen right here so here's the next exciting episode of this long, sad saga... the shipping status is...

Tracking Number Created

Which means that our fearless seller superdeal85 has not yet taken my 289 to the Post Office  :wtf:

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2019, 08:28:56 am »

Call me negative but..

I'll believe it when he sees it

holds it

all functions working  :phew:
Don't give me those negative vibes man!  The seller claims that the item is "NEW"; anything less than new will result in my asking for a partial refund to reflect the true value of a used item.  We'll see but it is All Hallows Eve today so things could get scary.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2019, 12:23:24 pm »
Any updates?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2019, 02:44:01 pm »
I messaged the seller saying...
This is farcical, the tracking number has been created and 2 days later, it seems that the package hasn't made it from you to the Post Office. If I don't see it in transit by Nov 2, I'll be progressing the complaint with eBay.

A bit snippy but acurate; this was the sellers response...
I should have just refunded you and been done. It was dropped off at the post office yesterday shortly after the close of business. It can take 24 hours for tracking information to appear. I’ve half a mind to recall and pay to intercept the package just so I can refund you and be done. Ridiculous

So what, he's now going to go out of his way to proactively punish me for whining by recalling a package that he claims is already sent?  I haven't responded; I think he's anally retentive.

I now suspect I will be looking at the same status of USPS awaiting the parcel tomorrow and then I'll do what I said I'd do and get eBay to force a refund.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2019, 03:48:12 pm »
Now he is the victim...

At least is not is friend/family member/dog that is on the Hospital in critical condition that he don't have time to send as I saw reported by someone in another thread. |O

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2019, 04:46:06 pm »
Look, those things happen. However, when they happened to me as a buyer, the seller was apologetic and that changes everything.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2019, 05:06:26 pm »
@Black Phoenix
Yeah, it's like poor him isn't it, I'm inconveniencing him by trying to actually get something I paid for on October 17th.

@rsjsouza
Yes, stuff like this happens and he could have said "I'm sorry the package hasn't gotten to you in the advertised time frame". But I now suspect that his indignant bluster is a cover and that he hasn't actually been to the Post Office, maybe there never was a 289 meter? OTOH the tracking number comes up on the USPS site so that makes me wonder whether he's paid for shipping of something.

I will do what I said and contact eBay tomorrow to request the refund if the tracking status doesn't change.

So here we are, well into page 4 of this thread and we're all bogged down in the problems of eBay purchasing :(

I will never purchase anything else from superdeal85 as long as I have a hole in my arse.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2019, 10:53:03 pm »
Update:

I got a refund from Brandon Hodges (aka superdeal85).  What a complete waste of time and money.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2019, 11:03:33 pm »
So there's one on eBay right now that's a Fluke 289 but it's clearly a color one.  Is this better/worse/worth more/less?

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2019, 11:37:43 pm »
Damn... what a waste of time.  The seller probably tried to sell a unit that he never had in his possession.  He probably anticipated on getting a few units but it didn't materialize.  Better put a review on the flake before you lose the opportunity....

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2019, 12:52:35 am »
I already did the bad review, shame you can't put zero stars, 1 is the minimum.  Anyway, how about the color one? I can't find any info about it.

[Edit] Hmmm, maybe this is a funky photo where the twist on the LCD appears to show blue bottom bars on the display and it its just a mono LCD?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 01:06:16 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2019, 01:06:30 am »
Colour one? There aren't any colour screen Fluke. That's probably from the flash light and/or the quality of compression of the camera used.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2019, 02:20:48 am »
If Fluke came out with a color display for the 289 they would probably name it 289C like they did with the 199 / 199C oscilloscope.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2019, 02:34:02 am »
If Fluke came out with a color display for the 289 they would probably name it 289C like they did with the 199 / 199C oscilloscope.

They already have a 287C/289C being sold. It means they are China only sale and the warranty is only valid in China. If sold outside of China the warranty is gone. Same as the 87V and 87VC

They are exactly the same construction as the 287/289 or the 87V, no changes on PCB, but China non Export model only.

Just see the top of this image on the Fluke 17B+ box:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 03:02:20 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2019, 04:40:33 am »
Wow... didn't even know they made another model for the Chinese market.  There was some discussion about it in another thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/are-these-genuine-flukes/

and Newegg in the U.S. sells these Fluke 289C models imported from China... why would anyone buy one in the U.S. for $719 and no warranty?

https://www.newegg.com/p/2Z3-0027-00011

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2019, 06:04:56 am »

and Newegg in the U.S. sells these Fluke 289C models imported from China... why would anyone buy one in the U.S. for $719 and no warranty?

https://www.newegg.com/p/2Z3-0027-00011

It's not sold by Newegg but by an international seller, so shipped from China:

I didn't know that Newegg now is also like eBay...

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2019, 08:40:27 am »
I had heard of the 289C and assumed that the 'c' meant color but you guys are confirming it simply means 'China', there's no color version right?

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2019, 11:46:23 am »
I had heard of the 289C and assumed that the 'c' meant color but you guys are confirming it simply means 'China', there's no color version right?

I'm 99.999% sure that there isn't any colour version. The 287C/289C are the versions sold in China, not for export.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters/fluke-289

By the way, curiosity... I found this:

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters/87v-max

Looks like the 28II that was the rugged version of the 87V. Now it exists the 87V Max? A re-release of the 28II?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:48:55 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2019, 11:56:17 am »
I agree the C stands for China. Don't touch it buddy.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2019, 12:09:11 pm »
You want the 289 FVF (Fluke View Forms)
There are a couple of new FVF units on Ebay UK going for £350 - £380. I am sure I got mine for £340 a year or two ago. That's a decent price if you look what the 2nd hand ones are still fetching. You can defo get them a bit cheaper but 2nd hand. Warranty etc is worth the few ££'s extra i think. 
The global shipping programme is also a great thing. I've used it buying and selling a few times and never had any problems. Just ask the seller 1st if they are prepared to ship overseas, most will as it is no hassle for the seller at all.
Hope you get a decent seller this time.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2019, 12:15:34 pm »
Yep, anything made there is a POS !  :P

The seventeen units of Fluke 15B that I bought in years ago are still going strong and still meet accuracy spec.
After I pulled the 'not for sale outside PRC' from the boxes of 15 units that a customer wanted I kept as a possible warranty replacement and shipped them to one happy customer and put one unit on my bench that I still use today.
After a suitable warranty period I sold the one kept back and they all are still in use years later.

So NO, don't buy a PRC Fluke as they'll give nutthing but worry.  :P

When I looked a few hrs back there was a deal coming up on 289C's new for $520 free delivery.
287C's were a bit cheaper at $460 new but crazy dear when you can get a good 4ch DSO for $499.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2019, 12:24:53 pm »

The seventeen units of Fluke 15B that I bought in years ago are still going strong and still meet accuracy spec.
After I pulled the 'not for sale outside PRC' from the boxes of 15 units that a customer wanted I kept as a possible warranty replacement and shipped them to one happy customer and put one unit on my bench that I still use today.
After a suitable warranty period I sold the one kept back and they all are still in use years later.

When I looked a few hrs back there was a deal coming up on 289C's new for $520 free delivery.
287C's were a bit cheaper at $460 new but crazy dear when you can get a good 4ch DSO for $499.

I was meaning for the warranty.

I wouldn't buy expensive equipment if there would be a problem if it craps out on you. Especially if you can get one with no warranty problems just the same.
There is plenty decent stuff and plenty crap comes out of China... same as anywhere I suppose?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2019, 12:29:26 pm »

I wouldn't buy expensive equipment if there would be a problem if it craps out on you. Especially if you can get one with no warranty problems just the same.
There is plenty decent stuff and plenty crap comes out of China... same as anywhere I suppose?
Buy 2 then and if they give no issues well then you're ahead.

What are they worth new in the west anyways ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2019, 01:12:53 pm »

Buy 2 then and if they give no issues well then you're ahead.

What are they worth new in the west anyways ?

I paid £340 for my 289 a year or two ago from a UK seller. No problems and I am ahead with just the 1 meter I wanted. No 289 sitting doing nowt  ;)

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2019, 10:59:19 am »
The email I got from PayPal looks genuine and gives the status of my refund as "Pending until: November 6, 2019" but I don't see a refund referenced in any of my accounts, not eBay and not PayPal, not even as 'pending'.  I've forwarded that email to spoof@paypal.com asking if it's genuine.

The PayPal help website says that 'pending' may be because the seller is making a direct transfer and, if that doesn't go through, the status may change to "cancelled".

The USPS tracking number is stuck at "Your package is on its way to a USPS facility" although that label was created 4 days ago now and the 'seller' stated through the eBay system that he had taken the 289 to the Post Office.

I've tried to contact eBay again but I have to wait until normal office hours.

I'm now near-certain this was a scammer but a very sophisticated one, especially given the PayPal refund email which, even if it's genuine, may not result in me actually getting a refund.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2019, 12:16:31 pm »
The email I got from PayPal looks genuine and gives the status of my refund as "Pending until: November 6, 2019" but I don't see a refund referenced in any of my accounts, not eBay and not PayPal, not even as 'pending'.  I've forwarded that email to spoof@paypal.com asking if it's genuine.

The PayPal help website says that 'pending' may be because the seller is making a direct transfer and, if that doesn't go through, the status may change to "cancelled".

The USPS tracking number is stuck at "Your package is on its way to a USPS facility" although that label was created 4 days ago now and the 'seller' stated through the eBay system that he had taken the 289 to the Post Office.

I've tried to contact eBay again but I have to wait until normal office hours.

I'm now near-certain this was a scammer but a very sophisticated one, especially given the PayPal refund email which, even if it's genuine, may not result in me actually getting a refund.

What is the address of the mail? Can you please send me the message header code via PM? Just the header:  https://www.technipages.com/outlook-view-message-headers

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2019, 01:53:48 pm »
PM sent but I now think it's a real PayPal email but I'm still suspicious that, when PayPal tries to pull the money back for the refund, there won't be anything there and it will fail.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2019, 02:14:34 pm »
PM sent but I now think it's a real PayPal email but I'm still suspicious that, when PayPal tries to pull the money back for the refund, there won't be anything there and it will fail.
I always contact PP direct if I need to verify a transaction's legitimacy.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2019, 03:10:33 pm »
PM replied - Yes it is real:

Came from:

Code: [Select]
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
       dkim=pass header.i=@paypal.com header.s=pp-dkim1 header.b=WA5vr7DG;
       spf=pass (google.com: domain of service@paypal.com designates 173.0.84.226 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=service@paypal.com;
       dmarc=pass (p=REJECT sp=REJECT dis=NONE) header.from=paypal.com
Return-Path: <service@paypal.com>
Received: from mx2.slc.paypal.com (mx1.slc.paypal.com. [173.0.84.226])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id [removed]
        for <[removed]@gmail.com>
        (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);

And the owner of the IP:

Code: [Select]
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]

#
 # ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
 # available at: [url]https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html[/url]
 #
 # If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
 # [url]https://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml[/url]
 #

#
 # Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be:
 # "n 173.0.84.226"
 #
 # Use "?" to get help.
 #

#
 # The following results may also be obtained via:
 # [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=173.0.84.226?showDetails=true&showARIN=false&showNonArinTopLevelNet=false&ext=netref2[/url]
 #

NetRange: 173.0.80.0 - 173.0.95.255
CIDR: 173.0.80.0/20
NetName: PAYPAL-SITE
NetHandle: NET-173-0-80-0-1
Parent: NET173 (NET-173-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Assignment
OriginAS: AS17012
Organization: PayPal, Inc. (PAYPAL)
RegDate: 2010-06-22
Updated: 2015-11-20
Ref: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-173-0-80-0-1[/url]

OrgName: PayPal, Inc.
OrgId: PAYPAL
Address: 2211 N. First St.
City: San Jose
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 95131
RegDate: 2001-08-17
Updated: 2015-07-16
Ref: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/org/PAYPAL[/url]

OrgAbuseHandle: PAYPA-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: PayPal Network
OrgAbusePhone: +1-408-967-5100
OrgAbuseEmail: corpnetwork@paypal.com
OrgAbuseRef: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/PAYPA-ARIN[/url]

OrgTechHandle: PAYPA-ARIN
OrgTechName: PayPal Network
OrgTechPhone: +1-408-967-5100
OrgTechEmail: corpnetwork@paypal.com
OrgTechRef: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/PAYPA-ARIN[/url]

RTechHandle: PAYPA1-ARIN
RTechName: PayPal
RTechPhone: +1-480-862-7260
RTechEmail: dl-paypal-sne@paypal.com
RTechRef: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/PAYPA1-ARIN[/url]

RAbuseHandle: PAYPA1-ARIN
RAbuseName: PayPal
RAbusePhone: +1-480-862-7260
RAbuseEmail: dl-paypal-sne@paypal.com
RAbuseRef: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/PAYPA1-ARIN[/url]

RNOCHandle: PAYPA1-ARIN
RNOCName: PayPal
RNOCPhone: +1-480-862-7260
RNOCEmail: dl-paypal-sne@paypal.com
RNOCRef: [url]https://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/PAYPA1-ARIN[/url]

#
 # ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
 # available at: [url]https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html[/url]
 #
 # If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
 # [url]https://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml[/url]
 #
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:12:33 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2019, 03:59:57 pm »
What a carry on you've had buddy!

I am sure Ebay will cover your $'s if it turns out the scammer has already pocketed your dosh and won't refund you.

I have had the "pending" thing when taking withdrawals from PayPal before even though I have put 1000's through them and had no problems making much bigger deposits and withdrawals in the past. When I queried it they said it was just random checks that are in place and not to worry.
I am sure it was 24hrs or something like that and it came good sure enough.

I am almost sure you'll get your cash back in the end, Ebay looks after the buyer and the seller can suck a fat one.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2019, 05:37:14 pm »
I know I'll get my money back eventually and, even if I didn't, it wouldn't be the end of the World but it's the principle that annoys me; that plus the sheer hassle of going through all this bullshit (I like that I can say bullshit on eevBlog).

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2019, 05:40:51 pm »
Why not just 287 if you can live with it's limitation compared to 289 ? And of course while still decently priced. 287 is quite decent imo.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2019, 06:31:44 pm »
Why not just 287 if you can live with it's limitation compared to 289 ? And of course while still decently priced. 287 is quite decent imo.
What kind of connectivity does the 287 have and isn't it about the same price as a 289 used?

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2019, 06:35:06 pm »
What kind of connectivity does the 287 have and isn't it about the same price as a 289 used?

On connectivity, both are identical.

Just read the manual, as both share same document.

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2019, 07:27:51 pm »
You been through hell on this! Makes me think to never buy again from eBay!

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2019, 08:08:32 pm »
There are enough differences between the 289 and the 287 to make the 289 more desirable, especially at the same price which is what they go for on eBay

[Edit] Fixed bad link
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:14:50 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2019, 11:52:12 am »
You been through hell on this! Makes me think to never buy again from eBay!
Thanks for the sympathy; I still don't have my meter or my refund.  I'm pretty fed up with the whole stupid saga; maybe I don't even need another multimeter?

[EDIT] I called eBay and they were great, they told me they do see a refund making its way through their system (eBay own PayPal now I think) and said that if it hadn't been returned by 6th I could call back with my case number and they would force the refund through.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:57:27 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2019, 09:34:24 pm »
There's a clean used Fluke 289 for $299.  Has a raggedy factory screen protector on but you do get a 30 day money back guarantee if there are any issues with it.  Old firmware that can be updated and may have an old supercap but you can always verify that to your advantage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-289-true-rms-multimeter-with-test-leads/283657059024?hash=item420b473ad0:g:v6oAAOSwrxVdt1AY

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2019, 12:32:58 am »
There's a clean used Fluke 289 for $299.  Has a raggedy factory screen protector on but you do get a 30 day money back guarantee if there are any issues with it.  Old firmware that can be updated and may have an old supercap but you can always verify that to your advantage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-289-true-rms-multimeter-with-test-leads/283657059024?hash=item420b473ad0:g:v6oAAOSwrxVdt1AY

That one can only be update to the 1.16 version and no other version above.

The new ones come with the 1.41 version and can be updated further when a new version is released:

https://www.fluke.com/en/support/software-downloads/fluke-287-and-289-multimeter-firmware-update

Fluke 289 Firmware update version 1.16

Owners of Fluke 289 multimeters with serial number 42830000 or LOWER can update to firmware version 1.16. These multimeters are NOT upgradable to any firmware higher than 1.16.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2019, 03:20:02 am »

The new ones come with the 1.41 version and can be updated further when a new version is released:

https://www.fluke.com/en/support/software-downloads/fluke-287-and-289-multimeter-firmware-update

Owners of Fluke 289 multimeters with serial number 42830000 or LOWER can update to firmware version 1.16. These multimeters are NOT upgradable to any firmware higher than 1.16.

Not true... my serial number starts with 3826... and I have v1.41

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2019, 04:05:04 am »

You bought it with that firmware right? Because there aren't any firmware 1.41 available online to download or install.

To be sincere the only firmware released to the 287/289 was to fix the problem were if you shine a light or if sun hits at the IR port while logging something it would stop logging when entering into power save mode.

Other than that no further firmware was released for the 287/289 series. So I don't know what is the 1.41 changes regarding the new models. Related with PCB revision?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2019, 09:47:45 am »

I looked at that one and really studied the pictures; I'm concerned that the screen may be scratched (the selector switch has a large scratch over it) and I have messaged the seller asking what the screen condition is like if the screen protector is removed.  He got back with me quickly saying he would check into it and reply, haven't heard back from him on that yet.

However, for $300 it's hardly a bargain when 'new' ones have gone for $325 and Black Phoenix's comments suggest that it's an older unit that may have other issues like superCap - which can likely be fixed but I'd rather pay an extra 10% and get a good one. I'm not sure what I'll do but I suspect the seller will send me a picture with the screen protector off; I suppose I could offer him lower than $300 citing the old serial number and the scratched condition.

There are others I'm watching, one that's from a seller called cdubya described as 'new' but the only picture it gives is of a raggedy-looking box and that one's already at $300 - the fact that he's only got 23 reviews also makes me worry that he's another scammer.

Quiltinthehills is the next one in line and that one's got good pictures showing a clean meter but nothing with power on; it's at $280 right now but, with 11 bidders, I predict it will go for $330.  That seller has 4190 reviews but says 'no returns' which is almost meaningless, I've gone back to such sellers when there have been issues and they have offered refunds (full or partial) or returns.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2019, 12:35:01 pm »

I looked at that one and really studied the pictures; I'm concerned that the screen may be scratched (the selector switch has a large scratch over it) and I have messaged the seller asking what the screen condition is like if the screen protector is removed.  He got back with me quickly saying he would check into it and reply, haven't heard back from him on that yet.

However, for $300 it's hardly a bargain when 'new' ones have gone for $325 and Black Phoenix's comments suggest that it's an older unit that may have other issues like superCap - which can likely be fixed but I'd rather pay an extra 10% and get a good one. I'm not sure what I'll do but I suspect the seller will send me a picture with the screen protector off; I suppose I could offer him lower than $300 citing the old serial number and the scratched condition.

There are others I'm watching, one that's from a seller called cdubya described as 'new' but the only picture it gives is of a raggedy-looking box and that one's already at $300 - the fact that he's only got 23 reviews also makes me worry that he's another scammer.

Quiltinthehills is the next one in line and that one's got good pictures showing a clean meter but nothing with power on; it's at $280 right now but, with 11 bidders, I predict it will go for $330.  That seller has 4190 reviews but says 'no returns' which is almost meaningless, I've gone back to such sellers when there have been issues and they have offered refunds (full or partial) or returns.

Get a new 1 buddy!

You want to log and stuff to your PC right? The cable and software will cost you another £50 and the croc clips and hanger etc will be another £30 if you buy 1 with just the meter and leads. You'll get a brand new 1 with all that in for £350 plus you'll get a warranty etc and you know he meter hasn't been abused or got some problem you'll inherit.

I'd get new if I was you.

Offline Marco1971

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2019, 01:25:28 pm »

You bought it with that firmware right? Because there aren't any firmware 1.41 available online to download or install.

To be sincere the only firmware released to the 287/289 was to fix the problem were if you shine a light or if sun hits at the IR port while logging something it would stop logging when entering into power save mode.

Other than that no further firmware was released for the 287/289 series. So I don't know what is the 1.41 changes regarding the new models. Related with PCB revision?

From FLUKE web page

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/support/software-downloads/fluke-287-and-289-multimeter-firmware-update

"Fluke 287 multimeters beginning with serial number 42700001 and Fluke 289 multimeters beginning with serial number 42830001 ship with firmware version 1.41. Older versions of the Fluke 287 or 289 with lower serial numbers cannot be upgraded to version 1.41"

Marco

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2019, 01:31:10 pm »

From FLUKE web page

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/support/software-downloads/fluke-287-and-289-multimeter-firmware-update

"Fluke 287 multimeters beginning with serial number 42700001 and Fluke 289 multimeters beginning with serial number 42830001 ship with firmware version 1.41. Older versions of the Fluke 287 or 289 with lower serial numbers cannot be upgraded to version 1.41"

Marco

Mate, thanks for your input, but if you realize in my other post before that one I specially linked that same article saying the same.

On the one you quoted I was just speculating what kind of reason it was. Just that.

And as someone already also told, they have one that starts with the serial 3826 and have the v1.41, so outside of the range of what is on the Website, that was the reason of my speculation and asking if the DMM was bought new or if it had gone for repair and the PCB had been upgraded for some reason, having a low serial number but a recent PCB that supports the new firmware.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:34:39 pm by Black Phoenix »

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2019, 03:24:21 pm »
@Gandalf_Sr This is the one I bid on and won!

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2019, 03:28:42 pm »

My unit came back from Fluke under warranty repair with different PCB with v1.41.  The FW1.41 offers no advantage over the v1.16 except for the improved battery life (subjective observation).  I believe it is related only to the PCB revision and not a big deal.

To wait for a "New" unit rather than a used unit is the OP's choice.  However, just because the unit is new does not guarantee the v1.41FW.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971, Black Phoenix

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2019, 03:36:52 pm »
The same seller has more...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-FLUKE-289-TRUE-RMS-INDUSTRIAL-DATA-LOGGING-DIGITAL/362798618140?hash=item54787b961c:g:TPoAAOSwiBJaDirn

If your unit was as described then this would be a decent deal...

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2019, 03:43:11 pm »
Looks like t was made in June 2019. Seems good after that battery problem!
Nice... very nice.  Congratulations on your score!

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2019, 03:43:57 pm »
Thanks! :-+

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2019, 04:02:38 pm »
A bit off topic but,,,,

For those of you that already have the 289/287 I found these screen protectors for mine. They are awesome! 100 times better than the one that comes on the meter. They fit perfectly on the screen and stick really well so the edges don't start peeling up. Ive have mine on for over a year and it is still perfect.
I have got ones for my other meters and just cut them to size myself but if you want them to they can cut you a specified size so long as you give them the measurements.

Well worth a sky diver!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/upscreen-Scratch-Clear-Screen-Protector-for-Fluke-MultiMeter-289-Scratch-proof/362409603431?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The following users thanked this post: Black Phoenix

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2019, 04:10:48 pm »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2019, 04:12:34 pm »
Yup. that could be a nice deal for him!  :-+

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2019, 04:16:06 pm »
I just want the man to finally have his TEA Fix with a new DMM from someone who doesn't take weeks to send, even not being for me I'm searching for stuff to help.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2019, 04:23:49 pm »
A bit off topic but,,,,

For those of you that already have the 289/287 I found these screen protectors for mine. They are awesome! 100 times better than the one that comes on the meter. They fit perfectly on the screen and stick really well so the edges don't start peeling up. Ive have mine on for over a year and it is still perfect.
I have got ones for my other meters and just cut them to size myself but if you want them to they can cut you a specified size so long as you give them the measurements.

Well worth a sky diver!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/upscreen-Scratch-Clear-Screen-Protector-for-Fluke-MultiMeter-289-Scratch-proof/362409603431?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I have the same screen protector and it is excellent.  I use it on both my Fluke 289 and 199C.  You can also ordered directly from Protectionfilms24 and receive fast shipping to the U.S. in about a week.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2019, 04:31:27 pm »
Yeah, you beat my max bid by $5 :(  Hope it is a good one for you.  I'm going to hold off on the Fluke for now, I wanted a high end meter that could log data on its own but I can't justify $550 for the Fluke - just too much IMHO.

So I just picked up a used Keysight U1242C - which comes with a U1173B IR-to-USB cable - from Keysight on eBay for $204 plus tax (6%) - I made a 95% offer on their asking price and paid a total of $217.

The U1242C features:
– 10,000-count display
– Up to 0.09% basic DCV accuracy
– Battery life up to 400 hours
– Certified to IP 67 for water and dust protection
– Tested to withstand a 3-meter (10-ft) drop
– CAT III 1000 V / CAT IV 600 V overvoltage protection
– Harmonic ratio measurement to quickly identify the presence of harmonics in AC signals
– ZLOW, low impedance mode to eliminate false readings caused by stray voltages
– Vsense for non-contact voltage detection
– T1 – T2 differential temperature measurement
– Built-in flashlight!!!!

This will collect up to 2,000 readings stand alone, can connect to the Keysight Meter Logger software that I have on PC and iPhone, it has 1-button capture and download, plus I already own the U1117A Bluetooth adapter that allows up to 100 m range connecting to the meter.  The Fluke 289 has 100-200 hours battery life, 15,000 reading storage and a graphic display to look at the results but that's about it as far as I can see.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:27:57 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline drumbum

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2019, 04:43:04 pm »
Here is some more sleazebay fun.

Check out this de-5000 listing (item#233390935646).

Have a look before it's pulled.

100% positive feedback,...all fridge magnets...

So many items in the sellers store!

|O

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2019, 05:03:36 pm »

|O
Looks very fishy.
Check out the seller feedback.  Same few buyers buying fridge magnets for $1.00...

Offline drumbum

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2019, 05:13:36 pm »

|O
Looks very fishy.
Check out the seller feedback.  Same few buyers buying fridge magnets for $1.00...

If you go to page 5 of feedback, you'll see he accepted a best offer on a few $460 something fridge magnets.

How sleazebay allows this is  :palm:.  I assume the scammers open multiple accounts well in advance.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2019, 01:21:15 pm »
Yeah, you beat my max bid by $5 :(  Hope it is a good one for you.  I'm going to hold off on the Fluke for now, I wanted a high end meter that could log data on its own but I can't justify $550 for the Fluke - just too much IMHO.

So I just picked up a used Keysight U1242C - which comes with a U1173B IR-to-USB cable - from Keysight on eBay for $204 plus tax (6%) - I made a 95% offer on their asking price and paid a total of $217.

The U1242C features:
– 10,000-count display
– Up to 0.09% basic DCV accuracy
– Battery life up to 400 hours
– Certified to IP 67 for water and dust protection
– Tested to withstand a 3-meter (10-ft) drop
– CAT III 1000 V / CAT IV 600 V overvoltage protection
– Harmonic ratio measurement to quickly identify the presence of harmonics in AC signals
– ZLOW, low impedance mode to eliminate false readings caused by stray voltages
– Vsense for non-contact voltage detection
– T1 – T2 differential temperature measurement
– Built-in flashlight!!!!

This will collect up to 2,000 readings stand alone, can connect to the Keysight Meter Logger software that I have on PC and iPhone, it has 1-button capture and download, plus I already own the U1117A Bluetooth adapter that allows up to 100 m range connecting to the meter.  The Fluke 289 has 100-200 hours battery life, 15,000 reading storage and a graphic display to look at the results but that's about it as far as I can see.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Looks interesting, hope to see when it arrives and how is your opinion about it.

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2019, 10:01:23 am »
Found this discussion interesting as I was about to bid on a 289 but it seems that the serial number is of a lower order and it has firmware 1.10, so it can only be upgraded to 1.16. Earlier comments seem to suggest that the later 1.41 firmware corrects at least two issues - sunlight falling on the IR sensor problem, and battery life. Are these also fixed in 1.16? Or do I need to look out a newer meter with 1.41?

I noticed that some listings state "with TrendCapture" but actually come without the the FormsView software or IR interface, whereas other listings clearly show the complete kit in the photos. I asked one seller who showed only the meter and probe leads but had that phrase in the description whether these accessories were included and he insisted that TrendCapture was included, but seemed uncertain as to the accessories that I was referring to. The confusion seems to stem from the fact that Fluke use the phrase "with TrendCapture" on the box regardless of whether its the complete kit or a standalone meter. I get it that TrendCapture is supported on the meter - with the correct accessories and software - but I find the phrase "with TrendCapture" somewhat mis-leading when supplied as a standalone unit without those accessories.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:50:41 am by WaveyDipole »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2019, 11:44:28 am »
Found this discussion interesting as I was about to bid on a 289 but it seems that the serial number is of a lower order and it has firmware 1.10, so it can only be upgraded to 1.16. Earlier comments seem to suggest that the later 1.41 firmware corrects at least two issues - sunlight falling on the IR sensor problem, and battery life. Are these also fixed in 1.16? Or do I need to look out a newer meter with 1.41?

The IR sensor problem was fixed with the v1.16. Logically the 1.41 includes that and as someone already said also improved battery life, but that is his words, nowhere in Fluke's website is explained what is the fixes from the 1.41. If you go to the software section on the 287/289 is only mentioned the fact that older equipments don't support the new firmware, but the new firmware is no where to be found as downloadable in Fluke's website, the only file available in the page is the update to 1.16. Again we suppose that is only the aforementioned battery life and since it's only the new PCB revisions who support that a change in said PCB, as an update to different ARM CPU or other components that need said firmware because they are different from the original PCB.

I noticed that some listings state "with TrendCapture" but actually come without the the FormsView software or IR interface, whereas other listings clearly show the complete kit in the photos. I asked one seller who showed only the meter and probe leads but had that phrase in the description whether these accessories were included and he insisted that TrendCapture was included, but seemed uncertain as to the accessories that I was referring to. The confusion seems to stem from the fact that Fluke use the phrase "with TrendCapture" on the box regardless of whether its the complete kit or a standalone meter. I get it that TrendCapture is supported on the meter - with the correct accessories and software - but I find the phrase "with TrendCapture" somewhat mis-leading when supplied as a standalone unit without those accessories.

As also said before, TrendCapture is one of the functions of the 287/289, is the ability for the DMM to enter in logging mode and register in his memory captures of the measurement he is done by time stamps defined in the configuration of the recording and the viewing of said logging in the screen as a graph you can zoom in and out. All 287/289 do that, being a listing that only sells the DMM plus the leads and thermocouple or the FVF kit that is the DMM, leads, thermocouple, ir cable, FVF software, the magnetic hanging strap and carrying case.

You can see in the right table that the first item says "Fluke 289 True-RMS Industrial Logging Multimeter with TrendCapture", same as this one says in the main title:

Again the equipment itself is the same, both have TrendCapture the difference is what is included in the box, more items or less.

TrendCapture is the function the 287/289 have, without needing extra software or hardware, it comes with it. The Fluke View Forms software is what needs the IR Cable to download the logging data from the memory of the DMM to the PC and make reports or analysis later on. It's an error from the seller who lists and don't know what they are listing. What you should look for is if you want the kit with the software and ir cable if that is included in the listing or if its the DMM and the leads/thermocouple only.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 11:52:26 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2019, 12:32:25 pm »
Good luck with your attempts to bid on eBay WaveyDipole, I gave up after 1) getting a scam seller (I still haven't got the refund from superdeal85 yet) and 2) being outbid multiple times at the $320 mark and 3) having my reasonable (IMHO) best offers declined multiple times e.g. $350 offer for an item listed at $400.

Getting an older one sounds like a crap shoot, you could get one with a bad supercapacitor (which is fixable) and many of them look like they's been bashed around in an HVAC tech's bag for a few years or soaked in oil.

I gave up on the 289, reconsidered my needs, and bought a used Keysight U1242C for $217 (from the eBay Keysight store) which can record up to 2,000 readings stand-alone (enough for my needs - yes you can set the sampling period), has double the battery run time of the 289, but has no on-instrument graphical readout.  I'm kind of invested in Keysight already; I own the U1117A adapter that allows me to get data from up to 100 m away over Bluetooth using the very nice (and free) Keysight Meter Logger software for IOS and Android? which also allows up to 3 different instruments to be connected simultaneously . Plus there's free Keysight Handheld Meter Logger software for the PC that can connect via the USB-IR serial cable (one came free with my new meter plus I already owned one) or, you can use the U1117A Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the back of the meter to link your meter from up to 100 m away.  I own 2 other Keysight multimeters (U1242B and U1252B) plus a 34461A benchtop.

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2019, 01:17:34 pm »
The IR sensor problem was fixed with the v1.16. Logically the 1.41 includes that and as someone already said also improved battery life, but that is his words,  nowhere in Fluke's website is explained what is the fixes from the 1.41. If you go to the software section on the 287/289 is only mentioned the fact that older equipments don't support the new firmware, but the new firmware is no where to be found as downloadable in Fluke's website, the only file available in the page is the update to 1.16. Again we suppose that is only the aforementioned battery life and since it's only the new PCB revisions who support that a change in said PCB, as an update to different ARM CPU or other components that need said firmware because they are different from the original PCB.

Yes, exactly my point no real information regarding what has been fixed and no download for 1.41, just 1.16. Looks like 1.41 is being installed at production time, but not being made available for download so what gives? We are left guessing, but thank you for confirming that the sensor issue is fixed in 1.16. The supposition regarding battery life is also logical as it would make sense that it may have required a hardware + firmware change acccomplish.

TrendCapture is the function the 287/289 have, without needing extra software or hardware, it comes with it. The Fluke View Forms software is what needs the IR Cable to download the logging data from the memory of the DMM to the PC and make reports or analysis later on. It's an error from the seller who lists and don't know what they are listing. What you should look for is if you want the kit with the software and ir cable if that is included in the listing or if its the DMM and the leads/thermocouple only.

Point taken. You can capture and view the results on the meter. The PC software is not essential, so I guess it is indeed fair to say that it comes "with TrendCapture".

Getting an older one sounds like a crap shoot, you could get one with a bad supercapacitor (which is fixable) and many of them look like they's been bashed around in an HVAC tech's bag for a few years or soaked in oil.

Yes, have seen a few like that and am aware of the supercap issue. The one I'm looking at is as new, comes with the whole kit including IR interface and FormsView software for a price that some meters alone sell for and looks a genuine sale. The drawback is that it has an older serial number and firmware so evidently has the older board and can't be upgraded beyond 1.16. I guess that I'm trying to understand what the drawbacks (if any) would be.

I gave up on the 289, reconsidered my needs, and bought a used Keysight U1242C for $217 (from the eBay Keysight store) which can record up to 2,000 readings stand-alone (enough for my needs - yes you can set the sampling period), has double the battery run time of the 289, but has no on-instrument graphical readout.

I don't have any investment in Keysight, but I'm not entirely happy with the Brymen 869s. It seems to work well enough, but the feel of that rotary knob and the large gap makes me uneasy when using it. The 5-digit display feature was enticing, but really not particularly accurtate. I can't say that I am dis-pleased with it as it does its job, but not entirely happy with it either. The purchase was originally a toss-up between the Brymen 869s and Fluke 287/289. The 289 has features such as Low-Z and Low Ohms, and others that I don't have on any other handheld meter and I appreciate its a meter that one would use in special circumstances, i.e. where logging, or a specific function is required. I use the Fluke 187 most of the time as my go-to meter. Still, a re-consideration of one's needs (do I really need this?) is always a good idea and I will give this some thought. Agilent do seem to have a good range of DMMs, but I am baffled by their use of NiMH batteries rather than LiON if they are going down the re-chargeable route. Anyways, I mention this only as a backgound as to the reason for my renewed interest in the 289.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2019, 01:58:36 pm »
I don't have any investment in Keysight, but I'm not entirely happy with the Brymen 869s. It seems to work well enough, but the feel of that rotary knob and the large gap makes me uneasy when using it. The 5-digit display feature was enticing, but really not particularly accurtate. I can't say that I am dis-pleased with it as it does its job, but not entirely happy with it either. The purchase was originally a toss-up between the Brymen 869s and Fluke 287/289. The 289 has features such as Low-Z and Low Ohms, and others that I don't have on any other handheld meter and I appreciate its a meter that one would use in special circumstances, i.e. where logging, or a specific function is required. I use the Fluke 187 most of the time as my go-to meter. Still, a re-consideration of one's needs (do I really need this?) is always a good idea and I will give this some thought. Agilent do seem to have a good range of DMMs, but I am baffled by their use of NiMH batteries rather than LiON if they are going down the re-chargeable route. Anyways, I mention this only as a backgound as to the reason for my renewed interest in the 289.

I will be sincere, do you really need the 287/289 being an owner of a 187? Probably with the cable and the software you have most of the 287 minus the reading of the capture on screen and the big screen.

I have a 289, it was my big spend first DMM, other than the normal chinesium powered less than 30€ no safety ratings DMM. But with the years, the TrendCapture is nice but in reality not essential. If I was able to exchange my 289 for an 189 I would probably thing a lot about it. When I've done the deal of the 87V this year I was looking at the 89-IV before and was almost closing deal with it but the price that I got the 87V was inexcusable and I didn't had a reason to buy both, other than TEA (something that I'm trying to resist, and it's been very difficult since I started visiting this community... ;D).

The 187/189 combines both of best worlds -  Fast turn on as the 87V and better accuracy with the logging from the 287/289. It's nice to have all the bells and whistles but...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:03:32 pm by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2019, 02:44:55 pm »
I appreciate your sincerity and I take the point about TEA, which can get to the best of us! What I would like is to have two very capable handheld DMMs, preferably with somewhat different features, so that between the two one can cover just about everything. I am very pleased with the 187 so the 189 might be a good choice for the second meter despite being nearly identical to the 187. The 87-V would also be a good option although I feel the latter is overpriced for what it is, even though well respected. The 289 (but not the 287) seems to have a few extras that differentiate it from both, such as the simultaneous display of min/avg/max as well as the graph, but as you say, these might be considered bells and whistles.... I am also going to have a good look at the Agilents again. I seem also to remember looking at the Hioki, just not many used ones about.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:52:43 pm by WaveyDipole »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2019, 03:59:21 pm »
WaveyDipole, If you go the Agilent/Keysight route, make sure you get the U1242C rather than the U1242B, their functionality is very similar but the U1242B can only capture 200 readings internally but the U1242C can hold 2,000.  I have bought several items from their eBay store and they have always been great although they often take a week to ship the item; they usually accept a bid of 90% - 95% of the asking price too.

I also think that I got lucky getting a U1173B cable with the meter I just bought, they normally run around $35 and I'm pretty sure they don't come standard with the U124X series meters.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2019, 04:01:46 pm »
I also did not see much advantage on the 289. I have a 189 and it works well, but just like you I prefer a combination of meters that give me a good comprehensive set of features.

At the moment the set of meters I would take with me to an isolated island are:

- Keysight U1273A, which has excellent data logging and very flexible trigger options: not only by manual keypress and time interval but also with Autohold, MinMax and Peak triggers (an example of AutoHold logging is shown in Dave's ancient video about resistor tolerance redux) - the LCD version U1272A also has all this. This meter covers the functions of the 189 and the cheaper logging software and interfaces make it a more interesting option. Ah, this meter also has Zlow and Smart Ω features, which i use a lot.

- Fluke 27/FM (grey version), which is very robust and its color is ideal to be used around the house on various duties in dirty areas. It does not have backlight, which is a problem when I am doing occasional measurements in dark areas (the U1273A and its OLED is unbeatable). This meter may be replaced by a newly acquired 87V, as it inspires the same confidence in robustness and has a backlight.

- Brymen BM857, which is an excellent meter with 500000 counts (ideal for trends) and absurdly fast! It also has datalogging, but much less flexible than the Keysight above.

The others I have are quite interesting on their own merits but have quirks and overlaps that do not make the list: Keysight U1282A (slower than the U1273A above and missing Zlow and Smart Ω, but it is water resistant), Fluke 189 (overlapped by the U1273A/U1282A), UT61E (fast and small meter, but fragile and with insufficient protection) and a series of smaller meters that have portability as their main feature (the Sanwa PM300 is my preferred, although closely followed by the UT136C).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:54:51 pm by rsjsouza »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2019, 04:03:45 pm »
The 187/189 combines both of best worlds -  Fast turn on as the 87V and better accuracy with the logging from the 287/289. It's nice to have all the bells and whistles but...

As an owner of 87V, 189 and 287s , the 189 has my vote, apart from instant turn on like 87V does, features wise is comparable to 287/9 except the charting of course (28X strongest point), also the LCD display is much-much more superior, large sharp segmented LCD compared to 287/9 that has crappy dot matrix which looks grayish and fuzzy, I own two 287s, both are same and did compare to others like 289s, all are same.  :--

Example of my 287 screen shots took few years ago with the best contrast adjustment and best angle from the camera. Firmware is updated now, it was taken when I freshly acquired them.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2019, 04:27:41 pm »
I went the other way...

I sold my Fluke 177, 87v, 189 and also the 121GW and held on to my Fluke 289, Brymen 867s, Keysight 1273A and a cheap Hyelec meter.
I only use my meters for hobby stuff though so maybe that is the difference.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2019, 05:35:04 pm »
I went the other way...

I sold my Fluke 177, 87v, 189 and also the 121GW and held on to my Fluke 289, Brymen 867s, Keysight 1273A and a cheap Hyelec meter.
I only use my meters for hobby stuff though so maybe that is the difference.
Interesting, comparing the 189 to the Keysight U1242C, it looks like the 189 only has a 72 hour battery life (backlight off) and (maybe) 1,000 logging intervals (that can only be seen on a remote PC after download)?  The U1242C has a 400 hour battery life and can store 2,000 readings which can be viewed on the meter and sent/viewed on nice, free PC software so, in my mind, the Keysight U1242C looks like the winner assuming you can get it at the same price.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2019, 07:22:18 pm »
PayPal is my friend  :D

They sent me an email today confirming that my $331 has been refunded by that scammer superdeal85

I called them (not a bad experience) because their email said "you should see the money in your account now" but it wasn't there :(  Anyway the agent confirmed that the email was genuine but the money will be refunded to the linked credit card that it had come from - all I have to do is wait for it to appear as a credit to my card (it's not there yet).  Not that it's caused me cash flow issues but they've had my money now for 21 days for an item that never shipped and the original PayPal email that said I'd received a refund was dated Nov 1 so they've already had my money almost a week just in the refund process.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2019, 02:21:08 am »
I appreciate your sincerity and I take the point about TEA, which can get to the best of us! What I would like is to have two very capable handheld DMMs, preferably with somewhat different features, so that between the two one can cover just about everything. I am very pleased with the 187 so the 189 might be a good choice for the second meter despite being nearly identical to the 187. The 87-V would also be a good option although I feel the latter is overpriced for what it is, even though well respected. The 289 (but not the 287) seems to have a few extras that differentiate it from both, such as the simultaneous display of min/avg/max as well as the graph, but as you say, these might be considered bells and whistles.... I am also going to have a good look at the Agilents again. I seem also to remember looking at the Hioki, just not many used ones about.

I strongly agree with how overpriced the 87V is on the alternative markets. Although if you are able to get a good deal as I got mine, New for 200$ plus shipping well I think you should just bite the bullet and go for it. ^-^

Now my interest is one of the Scopemeters I used in Telecom, the Fluke 225C. I have one close to me, being sold in Hong Kong but the price... Let's say the owner wants the money and the scope...

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2019, 03:37:42 pm »
Would anyone go for the 87V Ex as opposed to the standard 87V?

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2019, 03:55:47 pm »
Both are equal, the problem is that the Ex from "intrinsically safe" means that:

The terminals and parts of the PCB are covered in epoxy, that means if you damage is almost impossible to repair. Is also gasketted (did this word exist in English? Gasket exists but gasketted?) and kinda airtight when in use. But with that you have most surfaces covered, preventing anything that may cause an explosion. Is still an 87V but because of the rules of equipments to be "intrinsically safe" makes it less serviceable than the standard 87V.

More info:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fluke-87v-ex-true-rms-multimeter/

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2019, 02:05:36 pm »
So, for those who have been unable to sleep at night worrying about my being scammed on eBay, you'll be pleased to hear that my $331 refund finally made it onto my credit card today  :-+

I've been reading up on the U1242C and I'm very happy with that purchase decision; it hasn't shipped yet but that's par for the course when buying stuff from Keysight though their eBay store.  If you can get one from Keysight for $217 with a U1173B IR-USB serial cable included, it makes a compelling case vs a Fluke 87V, especially given the pretty good and free logging software available from Keysight.

[Edit] I got an email notification that my U1242C has shipped from Keysight (Roseville, CA) yesterday; FedEx tracking says that the item has yet to arrive with them but I suspect they will pick it up today and it's coming FedEx Express so I should receive it by the end of this week.  I'll start a new thread to go over what I think of it and add a link to it from this post.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:54:49 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline drumbum

• Contributor
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2019, 09:47:33 pm »

|O

The feedback left for the scammer sachare19 (read-sack hair) is growing by bounds.

I am starting to think sleazebays customer service is in on it, as they haven't/didn't taken measures to prevent more being scammed.  They were warned early.

Pukes

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2019, 01:51:29 pm »
Gandalr_Sr, glad you got the refund. That must have been one anxious wait! One thing I read about those Keysight/Agilent meters and that has held me back is regarding the rotary knob contacts wearing prematurely compared to Fluke. I'm not sure whether this applies to a specific models or Agilent vs Keysight branded versions or more generally. The test here is on a U1231 which is at the low end:

Maybe higher end models are not so affected? he makes a point about the contacts not being lubricated, but doesn't mention whether lubrication would help to extend the longevity? The video is from 2017, so maybe things have improved in later versions? I have re-considered my purchase of a Fluke 289 in favour of an Agilent/Keysight meter so would be very interested in your observations when you unit arrives.

Incidentally I came across a used U1273 U1272A for a reasonable price. There were a couple of minor scratches on the display, but otherwise it looked clean. However, it was from overseas (far east) and comes only with basic DIY looking probes, so the purchase looks a bit risky although he claims to be a second-hand goods seller.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:14:05 am by WaveyDipole »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2019, 03:20:21 pm »
WaveyDipole I wasn't really anxious as much as irritated but that's all in the rear view mirror now. 

The 'used' U1242C arrived yesterday (although the FedEx tracking said it was still in Roseville, CA) and it looks like new including the screen protector, not a mark on it. It came in a box with a sticker on it marked "This transit case is the property of Keysight Demo. Please return it with the instrument packaged inside the case" and a Keysight Harrow UK address.  but the serial number on the box matches the one on the meter.

I put batteries in it and ran it through some basic tests using my DMM Check calibrated reference and it's well within spec, I measure 0.04% for 5V DC (Spec is 0.09%).  The switch seems fine, maybe a little stiff with very strong detents.

I have 3 Agilent/Keysight multimeters now:
- Agilent U1252B bought as NOS on eBay from a slightly dodgy seller who took his time shipping (sounds familiar)
- Agilent U1242B bought from the Keysight store on eBay - like new
- Keysight U1242C bought from the Keysight store on eBay - like new

Here's a couple of pics

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2019, 03:32:16 pm »
WaveyDipole, the rotary switch test on the Agilent/Keysight meter was indeed quite worrying. However, there are a few variables that were discussed at the time that could sway the decision towards either way.

- The somewhat premature break of the Keysight was quite worrisome, but unfortunately the sample size of "one" turns this test somewhat inconclusive.

- The material used in the switch is the most troublesome - perhaps the U123x is built down to a price? I really don't think so, but unfortunately I sold my U1233A a long time ago - otherwise I would have compared it with the U1273A and the U1282A.

- The continuous rotation through the entire scale could potentially cause premature wear due to increased temperature. Joe told us he made sure the twists and turns were quite gentle and not aggressive nor too quick.

- One additional not tested scenario that could cause even extra wear on the U123x line is that it can also be turned with the thumb - this exerts horizontal forces that may wear the opposite side of the tracks faster. For that Joe would need to assemble an quite different test jig and would mean nothing for the other DMM models.

Overall, the sheer number of cycles is daunting for a regular user - after all, 50.000 switches in the lifetime of such equipment means that someone that turns it over 10 times a day without weekends would make it last for about 14 years.

Incidentally I came across a used U1273 for a reasonable price. There were a couple of minor scratches on the display, but otherwise it looked clean. However, it was from overseas (far east) and comes only with basic DIY looking probes, so the purchase looks a bit risky although he claims to be a second-hand goods seller.
Specifically for the U1273A, on the price I would add the possibility of requiring a new display. Keysight sells a replacement display at a very steep price but others folks around here couldn't find quite a drop-in replacement. Among the various reports here on EEVBlog, the vast majority of issues were observed in the previous generation unit U1253, but some reported issues on the U1273A. Mine is going strong for a few years used many times during the week, but it is a spoiled unit that is stored and operates exclusively on non-extreme temperature and humidity.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2019, 03:36:42 pm »
I really like the Agilent/Keysight meters, I also have a Keysight 34461A 6.5 digit bench meter that I bought new about 4 years ago and recently had calibrated.  Here's a side by side of the 3 handhelds...

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2019, 03:58:46 pm »
I really like the Agilent/Keysight meters, I also have a Keysight 34461A 6.5 digit bench meter that I bought new about 4 years ago and recently had calibrated.  Here's a side by side of the 3 handhelds...

Cute little family. Personally I prefer the old Agilent design to the new one.

Well it looks competent, don't forget to open a new topic talking about that collection and what they can do.

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2019, 04:33:28 pm »
WaveyDipole, the rotary switch test on the Agilent/Keysight meter was indeed quite worrying. However, there are a few variables that were discussed at the time that could sway the decision towards either way.

Thanks for the summary and I agree that's the problem with such tests. They can never be fully representative, although they do provide a measurable indication regarding the problem. As you say though, no one in practice constantly rotates all the way form one end to the other of the range or with predictable and balanced force. The contact materials may be different for the higher end meters or maybe not. So yes, I appreciate there are many variables.

Specifically for the U1273A, on the price I would add the possibility of requiring a new display. Keysight sells a replacement display at a very steep price but others folks around here couldn't find quite a drop-in replacement.

Thank you for that info which I have noted. I am aware that ones with OLED display have a problem with it fading after 3 or 4 years, but didn't realise the ones with the LCD display also had problems. Another U1272A has cropped up with proper probes and case. It also looks very clean and the display seems to have good contrast. It is also evident from the photos posted by Galndalf_Sr, that the slimer verion uses a different and slightly larger display. Was it this display that has problems, or the one in the wider older style meters?

Incidentally I noticed in a photo that the meter display temperature without any probe plugged in? Does it have an internal sensor to display ambient temperature? If so, then that might be useful for logging.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2019, 04:49:55 pm »
Incidentally I noticed in a photo that the meter display temperature without any probe plugged in? Does it have an internal sensor to display ambient temperature? If so, then that might be useful for logging.
Yes, these meters do have internal sensors for ambient temperature.  You can change it from C to F too.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2019, 05:45:46 pm »

Thank you for that info which I have noted. I am aware that ones with OLED display have a problem with it fading after 3 or 4 years, but didn't realise the ones with the LCD display also had problems.

Interesting, my disclaimer was due to the fact you mentioned U1273A - the LCD version is U1272A.

Incidentally I came across a used U1273 for a reasonable price.

Despite this, the OLED durability has been quite different depending on the people using them. My meter is three or four years old and was already NOS at the store, but shows absolutely no signs of bleed, pixel burn or dimming. Others said their displays bled when let sit in storage. No one really knows what conditions triggered this early decay, but it is certainly a problem with the technology of the time.

That said, it is still the best display for indoors and you couldn't ask for better appearance on camera.

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2019, 08:36:22 pm »

Thank you for that info which I have noted. I am aware that ones with OLED display have a problem with it fading after 3 or 4 years, but didn't realise the ones with the LCD display also had problems.

Interesting, my disclaimer was due to the fact you mentioned U1273A - the LCD version is U1272A.

Mea culpa. I did indeed mention the "U1273" by mistake. I had been looking at the Keysight blurb on both, but the meter I was interested in was an Agilent branded U1272A which has an LCD. Unfortunately it has now gone. AFAIKT, the display is the only difference between the U1272A and U1273A but I stand to be corrected. Thanks for the clarification and info on the OLED displays. They certainly look vivid and seem to have excellent contrast when new. They are being used on all sorts of equipment nowdays and I guess that like most technologies, their longevity will probably improve with with further development as the technology matures.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:15:54 am by WaveyDipole »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2019, 12:54:38 am »
The OLEDs look stunning but their questionable reliability is  a reason to avoid them unless you actually need them for some reason.

Offline frogg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2019, 09:11:05 pm »

I have a 289. The last time I changed the batteries was with some cheap 1.5V alkalines about 8 months ago. The meter still turns on fine (in fact, I used it a few days ago to datalog current draw.)

What you are describing is not normal.

Why you're experiencing it, I have no idea, but if it's in warranty, get it change out for a new unit right away.

• Contributor
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2019, 09:25:42 pm »
I had no issues since I change to Lithium batteries.Only thing maybe I hit the on button when I put it in the case. I know I have warranty! Turn it on everyday and batteries show full indicator!

Offline tincho80

« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2020, 10:02:30 pm »
So far with the new Lithium batteries and new battery case holder I am good, but wonder why when I turn on the light it goes to high, then hit button again goes to low.Seems like all the videos I see it's the opposite. Maybe it's because of this being made in January 2019?

Same for mine, just bought on ebay some days ago, OEM calibration 2019-07-24, SN 4675xxxx: first hit on light button back light turns on, second hit the light dims, third hit light goes off.

Offline Marco1971

• Contributor
« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2020, 03:15:41 pm »
Mee too...I use my 287 with Energizer Lithium Ultimate without any issues.

Marco1971.

Offline Ohm

« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2020, 03:41:55 pm »
I am dab147315 somehow when first register here it did not go through and I am Ohm now! Anyhow I still have no problem with the 289 fluke meter and a believer in lithium batteries. Just change batteries in a carbon monoxide over to Lithium. One battery was starting to corrode. In my Fluke 289 it was so fast that they leak within 2 weeks it made my brain spin. I could see if it was maybe 1 year or so but that fast was crazy. All is well now!

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2020, 07:00:39 pm »
One thing I read about those Keysight/Agilent meters and that has held me back is regarding the rotary knob contacts wearing prematurely compared to Fluke. I'm not sure whether this applies to a specific models or Agilent vs Keysight branded versions or more generally. The test here is on a U1231 which is at the low end:

Maybe higher end models are not so affected? he makes a point about the contacts not being lubricated, but doesn't mention whether lubrication would help to extend the longevity? The video is from 2017, so maybe things have improved in later versions? I have re-considered my purchase of a Fluke 289 in favour of an Agilent/Keysight meter so would be very interested in your observations when you unit arrives.

There was a guy on this site that had claimed to put 10s of thousands of cycles on these meters every year with no problems.   They were going to debunk what I show but they couldn't ever take their meter apart to show if the detent spring was the same or not. 

I doubt lubrication would have prevented that detent spring from cracking.  It appears to have just been a VERY poor material selection.   Maybe a supplier screwed up.  I saw a similar lapse in quality on that brand new 87V I looked at. 

Keysight, even though they hang around on this forum have never commented on it.   

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2020, 03:16:43 pm »
So, if I set up a machine to turn the knobs on my multimeter for a week or 3, they would fail... hmmmm.

Does anyone actually have a Keysight (or any other brand meter) which the knob dropped off?

I'll go first... I have had upteen meters, Fluke, Keysight, Aneng, and never had a knob come off any of them.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2020, 04:57:12 pm »
The detent spring broke on my very first DMM, a Radio Shack 22-174 I bought around 1994. (Mind you, it took over 15 years to fail.) I’ve always wondered who the OEM on that was...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:04:10 pm by tooki »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2020, 06:33:42 pm »
I have been using meters (HPAK, Fluke, Uni-T, etc.) with rotary switches for quite some time and I still haven't seen any problems as reported by Joe. That doesn't mean his test is invalid, but I suspect it may have been an on/off event. The low lifespan (~2000 cycles IIRC) would be low enough to make big crowds with pitchforks and torches set camp in front of their HQ.

IME, the worst meters were the ones where the detents were so smooth that it was easy to leave them half way between two scales. Those were tossed in frustration.

Offline AleXis6

« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2023, 10:11:51 pm »
hi.
could you help me please
it was possible to record > 60000 samples in 2020  (>18 hours for measurement every 1 second)
but now it is available less than 3 hours for every 1 second measurement, so If I need 24 hours measurement it will be measured every 9 seconds
I delete all data from memory, and 99% of memory available for records.
I do not know what is changed.

May be I recorded via PC previously
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 07:50:22 am by AleXis6 »

Offline MiroS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2023, 05:28:57 pm »
I do not know what is changed.

My guess is - embargo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf