Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E Hack to 200Mhz, and full options ?  (Read 29159 times)

Offline tv84

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E Hack to 200Mhz, and full options ?
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2019, 04:24:55 pm »
Sorry tin, but I didn't fully understood your answer.

But, I'm not saying to just license it to 250 or 300. One must patch the app so that those are recognized as possible options, then we should license it. Or did you do that also?

The FW hasn't support for licenses > 300 MHz so, any BW out of range should result in 70 MHz because this BW is the last in the list of possible BW values (as coded in the FW). My guess...

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2019, 04:54:23 pm »
Sorry tin, but I didn't fully understood your answer.

which part? :P

But, I'm not saying to just license it to 250 or 300. One must patch the app so that those are recognized as possible options, then we should license it. Or did you do that also?

no, i haven't. All i did was to play with keys and some fw Option files (tried to force the app to work properly), but never tried to patch the app itself to get it working (as patch can't be simply updated). However, i'm here if you need volunteer.

The FW hasn't support for licenses > 300 MHz so, any BW out of range should result in 70 MHz because this BW is the last in the list of possible BW values (as coded in the FW). My guess...

right, everything accepted but not implemented (or not supported or blocked) defaults to 70M. Keys for 250 and 300M are working (model name/type), but not the bw. Key > 300 and < MAX are unknown, so still 70M bw but this time no model type (few empty fields here and there, so nobody really knows how dangerous is to use them. I had to reflash nand to get my SDS woking again). The "MAX" key is not known for SDS1000X-E series (it is part of SDS5000).
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline tv84

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2019, 05:23:06 pm »
1 - :D  (No need because this last answer cleared my doubts.)
2 - OK. I'll send you the info although another poweruser is also researching ATM.   ;D
3 - I confirm all that. And thanks for the warning although I would not suggest going beyond the 300M mark.

The "MAX" key is not known for SDS1000X-E series (it is part of SDS5000).

AFAIK only works on SDS2000X-E, not even SDS5000X !

Enables approx. 400 MHz.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 06:38:06 pm by tv84 »

Offline tv84

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2019, 02:39:02 pm »
Well, my theory is difficult to test with the new FW (that fuses a lot of Siglent's SDS), specially without a scope. So, let it rest...

BTW, the new SDS1xx4X-E_6.1.33 firmware is able to run in the following equipments (the FW includes their respective version!!!):

Product Type           FW version
0 - SDS1002X-E          1.3.19
1 - SDS1004X-E          6.1.33
2 - SDS2000X-E          1.1.18
3 - SDS5000X             0.8.2R1
4 - SLA1016                8.1.9
5 - SDS2000X+           1.1.8
6 - ZODIAC-                1.0.0.0

Very interesting!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:12:19 pm by tv84 »

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2019, 03:26:32 pm »
 :popcorn:

Offline aimc

• Contributor
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2019, 12:04:28 pm »
Kai, your won't need much of your Christmas holiday for this upgrade hack. It can be done within a few minutes :). All you have to do is to establish a network connection and to run the here posted Python code with your scope ID and to paste the keys that are generated. You can also undo all changes that you have made to original specs. Let me know off the blog if you have more questions (I am German speaking too).
Cheers, Lutz

Offline KaLi

• Contributor
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2019, 02:33:31 pm »
Just bought a SDS1104X-E and already downloaded the python-script. But I have no need for more than 100 MHz for the moment, therefore I will play around with the "upgrade" in my holiday time. For that time I can lent a good function generator and probes from my work to cross-check the advancements.

But for the first time I checked my (cheap) Feeltech FY6900/60 function generator I bought for arduino-datalogging-experiments in summer... and the signal isn't as good as I expected. For the moment I have to read these threads to get some knowledge what the nominal values should be.

And I have to look around in the threads in the forum to get some pictures of the "grounded" Signals for the oscilloscope... my low V/DIV "flatline"-readouts look some kind of noisy.

Offline Hfe72

« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2019, 10:28:24 am »
Hi all! I am newbie and I have some questions about updating my SDS1104X-E (Current FW is 6.1.26):

I have done memorydump, but not yet activating wifi, 200 MHz etc.. So should I first upgrade FW to 6.1.33, and next install Plurs .ads file from usbstick? And what is Python file, I can't find it ?

Could someone please send me more detailed instructions on the upgrade via PM?

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:47:26 am by Hfe72 »

Offline aimc

• Contributor
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2019, 08:07:41 pm »
Hi all! I am newbie and I have some questions about updating my SDS1104X-E (Current FW is 6.1.26):

I have done memorydump, but not yet activating wifi, 200 MHz etc.. So should I first upgrade FW to 6.1.33, and next install Plurs .ads file from usbstick? And what is Python file, I can't find it ?

Could someone please send me more detailed instructions on the upgrade via PM?

Thanks

Well, I had my fair share of mishaps, but now I can say with confidence that everything is quiet trivial. Here is what worked for me:

1) I updated to 6.1.33 but as I understood from others you don't have to. All license changes will be persistent after FW changes.
2) Connect your scope to your local network and write down the IP address. You can also use the USB if you don't have LAN, in this case skip to (4).
3) Use IE or other browser from a PC in that LAN simply by the IP address (http://xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa).
4) Your scope answers you with a web page containing 4 big buttons on the left, push the bottom (SPCI control) one.
5) In the command line enter SCOPEID? and receive your scope ID in the text window below, write it down, remove the dashes.
6) Have your scope's serial number ready. Get it from either your cal sheet or from scope Info button, or finally via SPCI command *IDN? (it returns comma separated model, SN, SW version)
7) Get the updated (!) Python code from here: (The updated link from wgoeo goes to a website that can also run the code).

I haven't fully tested this but the output matches the bandwidth keys in reply #89.
Needs Python 3, just replace the serial and run.

Edit: Update, thanks tinhead!

8 ) Enter 16 character Scope ID (remove the dashes inbetween!) and the 14 character serial number in the corresponding placeholders of the py-code file.
9) Run the Python code, either on your PC if you have PyCharm or Visual Studio or find an online Python engine where you can paste the patched py code and run it. Most simple is to just run it off the website provided by wgeoe. There you can also paste your ID/SN in.
10) Pick the for the SDS1000X-E relevant keys from the result (100M, 200M, AWG, WIFI, MSO).
11) Go back to the SPCI terminal and install the bandwidth key with MCBD <key> (e.g. MCBD 0123456789ABCDEF). If the key was taken you will see with MCBD?. Then the same key you just entered appears in the result window. Also you can see instantly that the scope has now changed model number. (No scope restart is needed, result is immediate. You even see the change in noise when in the 0.5mV range with nothing connected).
12) Now install the SW options. On the SPCI use LCISL <option> <key> (Option AWG, WIFI, MSO), (e.g. LCISL WIFI 0123456789ABCDE). I used the scope's function to enter the key under Utilities, Options, on one of the pages select one of the three options and press install button to enter the key, scope will answer "License key installed" (make sure the key is correct, I fell victim to my own handwriting and almost gave up until I noticed that I mistook Z for a 2  |O ).
13) Although changes are imminent, for sanity reboot the scope and do a calibration.
14) Congratulations you are done. Don't forget to thank wgoeo and tinhead.

cheers
Lutz

The following users thanked this post: 5370H55V, Hfe72

Offline 5370H55V

• Contributor
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2019, 11:01:50 pm »

Well, I had my fair share of mishaps, but now I can say with confidence that everything is quiet trivial. Here is what worked for me:

1) I updated to 6.1.33 but as I understood from others you don't have to. All license changes will be persistent after FW changes.
2) Connect your scope to your local network and write down the IP address. You can also use the USB if you don't have LAN, in this case skip to (4).
3) Use IE or other browser from a PC in that LAN simply by the IP address (http://xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa).
4) Your scope answers you with a web page containing 4 big buttons on the left, push the bottom (SPCI control) one.
5) In the command line enter SCOPEID? and receive your scope ID in the text window below, write it down, remove the dashes.
6) Have your scope's serial number ready. Get it from either your cal sheet or from scope Info button, or finally via SPCI command *IDN? (it returns comma separated model, SN, SW version)
7) Get the updated (!) Python code from here: (The updated link from wgoeo goes to a website that can also run the code).

I haven't fully tested this but the output matches the bandwidth keys in reply #89.
Needs Python 3, just replace the serial and run.

Edit: Update, thanks tinhead!

8 ) Enter 16 character Scope ID (remove the dashes inbetween!) and the 14 character serial number in the corresponding placeholders of the py-code file.
9) Run the Python code, either on your PC if you have PyCharm or Visual Studio or find an online Python engine where you can paste the patched py code and run it. Most simple is to just run it off the website provided by wgeoe. There you can also paste your ID/SN in.
10) Pick the for the SDS1000X-E relevant keys from the result (100M, 200M, AWG, WIFI, MSO).
11) Go back to the SPCI terminal and install the bandwidth key with MCBD <key> (e.g. MCBD 0123456789ABCDEF). If the key was taken you will see with MCBD?. Then the same key you just entered appears in the result window. Also you can see instantly that the scope has now changed model number. (No scope restart is needed, result is immediate. You even see the change in noise when in the 0.5mV range with nothing connected).
12) Now install the SW options. On the SPCI use LCISL <option> <key> (Option AWG, WIFI, MSO), (e.g. LCISL WIFI 0123456789ABCDE). I used the scope's function to enter the key under Utilities, Options, on one of the pages select one of the three options and press install button to enter the key, scope will answer "License key installed" (make sure the key is correct, I fell victim to my own handwriting and almost gave up until I noticed that I mistook Z for a 2  |O ).
13) Although changes are imminent, for sanity reboot the scope and do a calibration.
14) Congratulations you are done. Don't forget to thank wgoeo and tinhead.

cheers
Lutz

Thanks, the steps worked for me and after some hiccups I got both the bandwidth and options loaded. :D

I had some difficulty following the instruction for using USB to connect directly and had to figure it out myself. Turns out you need to install NI MAX and EasyScopeX from Siglent first in order for the scope to be detected properly when its connected. Once it is, you can then use the terminal window in EasyScope to input the commands as described from step 5 onwards.

Also wanted to add that changing the bandwidth through the terminal worked, but unlocking the options didn't (although LAN users might not have this problem). For that I had to select the option (AWG, WIFI, MSO) with the scope buttons and unlock it by manually inputting the key on the scope itself.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf