Author Topic: Fluke 289 Meter  (Read 25683 times)

Offline dab147315Topic starter

• Contributor
Fluke 289 Meter
« on: October 16, 2019, 03:12:38 pm »
I bought a new meter from ebay that was manufactured in January 2019 and after I got it, installed new batteries made by Duracell Optimum 1.5 V Alkaline AA kind of never used it, but made sure it worked and set the time and date and shut it off and after about 2 week tried to turn it on but was dead. Took the battery compartment out and you could see the batteries actually were bad and corroded the battery pack a little. Actually bought a new cover for 50 bucks, but clean the contacts in the old one that was new with the meter and have been watching the batteries and meter for about a week Turning it on everyday and seems ok. I know the meter will drain down the batteries over time but in two weeks of not being used! What do you guys think is going on. Can I use lithium battery? But what to think about this problem and also bring new. Maybe possible when I put it in its new case I hit the power button, but not sure. Advise would be nice!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 04:26:07 pm by dab147315 »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline mjkuwp

• Supporter
  • mechanical engineering defector
    • The Mz Lab
Re: Fluke 289 Meter
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 01:51:46 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-289-supercapbattery-draining-issues-now-resolved-other-problems-to-watch/

my first thought would be to switch to rechargeable NiMH instead of using alkaline batteries.  This would avoid the problem with corrosion.  I almost never purchase Alkaline batteries anymore.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 03:27:52 am »
Thanks for the advise and will do that! :-+

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 03:49:21 am »
I bought a new meter from ebay
Since you live in the USA, I'm curious why you bought a new meter from ebay?  Was it well under priced compared to authorized Fluke resellers?

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 04:29:46 am »
Since you live in the USA, I'm curious why you bought a new meter from ebay?  Was it well under priced compared to authorized Fluke resellers?
I don't know what the deal is with Fluke on Amazon in the USA but their prices for new meters have been ridiculous for the past few years. https://ca.camelcamelcamel.com/Fluke-FLUKE-87-V-Digital-Multimeter/product/B0002YFD1K?context=search

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 06:56:41 am »
I use Energizer lithium in all my meters, Fluke 289 included and never had a problem. They last a long time and no leaks so far!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:58:13 am by Terry01 »
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 08:50:17 am »
Isn't the 289 one of the meters that has the failing super capacitor issue?  If yes and if by removing the batteries, you lose all saved settings, I would suspect that the super Cap may be bad.

I've been trying to snag a 289 on eBay for a while but I keep losing the bidding war, not paying > $300.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 09:03:41 am »
The 2019 version supposedly instead of the super capacitor now have a battery, I read somewhere about that.

Mine is the 2007 version, and gone to Fluke for repair exactly because of this problem in 2012.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:37:31 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 01:32:12 pm »
Yes the 289 has the issue with the super cap and I am sure they have replaced it with a battery cell in the newer 289's also.
I think the only way to check is to have a look and from the pictures I have seen of the leaking caps it is pretty easy to determine if you have the cap and also if it is bad. It leaks a horrible gunky stuff.
I have also seen where people change out a bad cap and replace it with a button cell. I am sure RS or Element 14 or somewhere sells them for around £5 or so.
There is a thread on here somewhere about this, I found out about it on here.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 01:55:46 pm »
Similar scenario here w.r.t. batteries: Lithium non-rechargeable batteries all around. Expensive, but at least the survivability rate is much higher.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 03:25:41 pm »
Yes I thought I got a good price for $400 bucks!

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 03:31:53 pm »
I got the new battery case from here just in case!  https://www.jensentools.com/fluke-2824477-fluke-28x-201-battery-assembly-door-for-fluke-287-289/p/593-410
Bad design on this for sure.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 06:15:52 pm »
Yes I thought I got a good price for $400 bucks!
The reason I ask is because buying from an authorized Fluke dealer/reseller gives you it's "lifetime warranty" as described in the user manual.  See T&C for details.

Buying from a non authorized source may disqualify you from the above.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 10:24:13 pm »
Just bought a 'new' 289 on eBay for $331, I think that's a good deal
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 12:06:31 am »
That's a good deal. You'll be well happy with it. I would say for sure get yourself some Energizer lithiums to power it!  :-+

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 04:53:24 am »
I bought my "New" Fluke 289 with a test lead kit on ePray in Dec 2018.  It was in good condition and I got it at a really great price.  During the first month of use, I ran into a low ohms fade issue with the display.  Apparently, this problem affected units manufactured around 2013-14.  I contacted Fluke and they told me to send the unit in because it was defective.  I sent my 289 in and they covered everything under warranty except the shipping costs to their facility.  I received my meter back within 10 days with a new motherboard and a calibration certificate.  No questions or proof of purchased was asked for at anytime.  Maybe I got lucky or maybe that is how they handle customer service with one of their flagship models. The support from Fluke was excellent throughout my ordeal.  If you have a Fluke that has a battery drain issue, you should at least try and see if they will cover it under their warranty.  You have nothing to lose.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 07:37:57 am »
I got mine new in Feb 2018 with a years calibration certificate for £340. I haven't had any of the cap problems or anything like that. I think mine may have the button cell but I am not 100% sure. Maybe someone who knows better than me can tell from the photo below?

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 09:03:35 am »

My 289 and 189 won't ever see a supercap or button cell again, I'm over it   :phew:
don't need them, don't want them, don't need to think about them  = good riddance   :--

I cut the troublemakers out a few months ago, -CAREFULLY- with sharp nippers, like you would a parasitic growth or tumor,
and the meters could care less about the procedure.

They work great and no ESR zap risk or desolder heat dramas on the board by doing it the recommended ways,
so no more leakers, crusty brown beards or partial shorts to aid battery hogging to lose sleep over  :=\

Thanks Fluke Supp?ort for suggesting I buy two new 'upgrade' meters  :-DMM :-DMM  if not taking the overpriced service route   :o

like W0W, one would never have thought of that option!  ::)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 09:28:28 am »

Thanks Fluke Supp?ort for suggesting I buy two new 'upgrade' meters  :-DMM :-DMM  if not taking the overpriced service route   :o

like W0W, one would never have thought of that option!  ::)

Well I don't censor them. In reality they provide you with a repair or two new upgrade DMM maintaining the functionality of keeping the date and time when removing the batteries. They would not give you a alternative were they are going to cripple one of the functionalities by removing a component.

Since the equipment it's yours because you paid you can do whatever you want with it, and that was what you've done.

I'm not defending them, yes they should had found a different way to keep the info by other means, as a battery in a compartment under the battery compartment, in a different slot, plugged with a cable to the main board instead of the super capacitor who looked like a good idea in the start and then we saw what happened.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 01:53:05 pm »
I use Energizer lithium in all my meters, Fluke 289 included and never had a problem. They last a long time and no leaks so far!
Panasonic Eneloop (Rechargeable NiMH) works well with zero issues to report.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 04:05:47 pm »
Panasonic Eneloop (Rechargeable NiMH) works well with zero issues to report.

I have heard quite a few people recommending the Eneloop rechargeable batteries. I will grab a couple of packs and try them next battery change.

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 04:52:01 pm »
Just bought a 'new' 289 on eBay for $331, I think that's a good deal
  :-+

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 04:56:27 pm »
All meters on  Energizer lithiums to power now! :phew:

• Contributor

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 05:12:55 pm »
I am happy with the Energizer lithium in my meters so I don't think you'll be disappointed. My 289 has lasted well longer than I expected considering how much they are known for chewing through batteries. No leaks in any meters either to date.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971, w5cpu

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf