Author Topic: Fluke 289 Meter  (Read 25985 times)

Online Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 289 Meter
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2019, 07:08:25 am »
Don't celebrate before you open the box...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2019, 07:09:54 am »
Don't celebrate before you open the box...

Awe man! Imagine that..... surely not!  :palm:
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2019, 07:22:42 am »

Call me negative but..

I'll believe it when he sees it

holds it

all functions working  :phew:

The following users thanked this post: Black Phoenix

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2019, 08:06:35 am »
Well I know you guys are experiencing the joys of eBay purchasing vicariously through my telling of the events as they happen right here so here's the next exciting episode of this long, sad saga... the shipping status is...

Tracking Number Created

Which means that our fearless seller superdeal85 has not yet taken my 289 to the Post Office  :wtf:
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2019, 08:28:56 am »

Call me negative but..

I'll believe it when he sees it

holds it

all functions working  :phew:
Don't give me those negative vibes man!  The seller claims that the item is "NEW"; anything less than new will result in my asking for a partial refund to reflect the true value of a used item.  We'll see but it is All Hallows Eve today so things could get scary.

Online Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2019, 12:23:24 pm »
Any updates?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2019, 02:44:01 pm »
I messaged the seller saying...
This is farcical, the tracking number has been created and 2 days later, it seems that the package hasn't made it from you to the Post Office. If I don't see it in transit by Nov 2, I'll be progressing the complaint with eBay.

A bit snippy but acurate; this was the sellers response...
I should have just refunded you and been done. It was dropped off at the post office yesterday shortly after the close of business. It can take 24 hours for tracking information to appear. I’ve half a mind to recall and pay to intercept the package just so I can refund you and be done. Ridiculous

So what, he's now going to go out of his way to proactively punish me for whining by recalling a package that he claims is already sent?  I haven't responded; I think he's anally retentive.

I now suspect I will be looking at the same status of USPS awaiting the parcel tomorrow and then I'll do what I said I'd do and get eBay to force a refund.

Online Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2019, 03:48:12 pm »
Now he is the victim...

At least is not is friend/family member/dog that is on the Hospital in critical condition that he don't have time to send as I saw reported by someone in another thread. |O

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2019, 04:46:06 pm »
Look, those things happen. However, when they happened to me as a buyer, the seller was apologetic and that changes everything.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2019, 05:06:26 pm »
@Black Phoenix
Yeah, it's like poor him isn't it, I'm inconveniencing him by trying to actually get something I paid for on October 17th.

@rsjsouza
Yes, stuff like this happens and he could have said "I'm sorry the package hasn't gotten to you in the advertised time frame". But I now suspect that his indignant bluster is a cover and that he hasn't actually been to the Post Office, maybe there never was a 289 meter? OTOH the tracking number comes up on the USPS site so that makes me wonder whether he's paid for shipping of something.

I will do what I said and contact eBay tomorrow to request the refund if the tracking status doesn't change.

So here we are, well into page 4 of this thread and we're all bogged down in the problems of eBay purchasing :(

I will never purchase anything else from superdeal85 as long as I have a hole in my arse.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2019, 10:53:03 pm »
Update:

I got a refund from Brandon Hodges (aka superdeal85).  What a complete waste of time and money.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2019, 11:03:33 pm »
So there's one on eBay right now that's a Fluke 289 but it's clearly a color one.  Is this better/worse/worth more/less?

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2019, 11:37:43 pm »
Damn... what a waste of time.  The seller probably tried to sell a unit that he never had in his possession.  He probably anticipated on getting a few units but it didn't materialize.  Better put a review on the flake before you lose the opportunity....

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2019, 12:52:35 am »
I already did the bad review, shame you can't put zero stars, 1 is the minimum.  Anyway, how about the color one? I can't find any info about it.

[Edit] Hmmm, maybe this is a funky photo where the twist on the LCD appears to show blue bottom bars on the display and it its just a mono LCD?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 01:06:16 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Online Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2019, 01:06:30 am »
Colour one? There aren't any colour screen Fluke. That's probably from the flash light and/or the quality of compression of the camera used.

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2019, 02:20:48 am »
If Fluke came out with a color display for the 289 they would probably name it 289C like they did with the 199 / 199C oscilloscope.

Online Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2019, 02:34:02 am »
If Fluke came out with a color display for the 289 they would probably name it 289C like they did with the 199 / 199C oscilloscope.

They already have a 287C/289C being sold. It means they are China only sale and the warranty is only valid in China. If sold outside of China the warranty is gone. Same as the 87V and 87VC

They are exactly the same construction as the 287/289 or the 87V, no changes on PCB, but China non Export model only.

Just see the top of this image on the Fluke 17B+ box:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 03:02:20 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2019, 04:40:33 am »
Wow... didn't even know they made another model for the Chinese market.  There was some discussion about it in another thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/are-these-genuine-flukes/

and Newegg in the U.S. sells these Fluke 289C models imported from China... why would anyone buy one in the U.S. for $719 and no warranty?

https://www.newegg.com/p/2Z3-0027-00011

Online Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2019, 06:04:56 am »

and Newegg in the U.S. sells these Fluke 289C models imported from China... why would anyone buy one in the U.S. for $719 and no warranty?

https://www.newegg.com/p/2Z3-0027-00011

It's not sold by Newegg but by an international seller, so shipped from China:

I didn't know that Newegg now is also like eBay...

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2019, 08:40:27 am »
I had heard of the 289C and assumed that the 'c' meant color but you guys are confirming it simply means 'China', there's no color version right?

Online Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2019, 11:46:23 am »
I had heard of the 289C and assumed that the 'c' meant color but you guys are confirming it simply means 'China', there's no color version right?

I'm 99.999% sure that there isn't any colour version. The 287C/289C are the versions sold in China, not for export.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters/fluke-289

By the way, curiosity... I found this:

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters/87v-max

Looks like the 28II that was the rugged version of the 87V. Now it exists the 87V Max? A re-release of the 28II?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:48:55 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2019, 11:56:17 am »
I agree the C stands for China. Don't touch it buddy.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2019, 12:09:11 pm »
You want the 289 FVF (Fluke View Forms)
There are a couple of new FVF units on Ebay UK going for £350 - £380. I am sure I got mine for £340 a year or two ago. That's a decent price if you look what the 2nd hand ones are still fetching. You can defo get them a bit cheaper but 2nd hand. Warranty etc is worth the few ££'s extra i think. 
The global shipping programme is also a great thing. I've used it buying and selling a few times and never had any problems. Just ask the seller 1st if they are prepared to ship overseas, most will as it is no hassle for the seller at all.
Hope you get a decent seller this time.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2019, 12:15:34 pm »
Yep, anything made there is a POS !  :P

The seventeen units of Fluke 15B that I bought in years ago are still going strong and still meet accuracy spec.
After I pulled the 'not for sale outside PRC' from the boxes of 15 units that a customer wanted I kept as a possible warranty replacement and shipped them to one happy customer and put one unit on my bench that I still use today.
After a suitable warranty period I sold the one kept back and they all are still in use years later.

So NO, don't buy a PRC Fluke as they'll give nutthing but worry.  :P

When I looked a few hrs back there was a deal coming up on 289C's new for $520 free delivery.
287C's were a bit cheaper at $460 new but crazy dear when you can get a good 4ch DSO for $499.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2019, 12:24:53 pm »
Yep, anything made there is a POS !  :P

The seventeen units of Fluke 15B that I bought in years ago are still going strong and still meet accuracy spec.
After I pulled the 'not for sale outside PRC' from the boxes of 15 units that a customer wanted I kept as a possible warranty replacement and shipped them to one happy customer and put one unit on my bench that I still use today.
After a suitable warranty period I sold the one kept back and they all are still in use years later.

So NO, don't buy a PRC Fluke as they'll give nutthing but worry.  :P

When I looked a few hrs back there was a deal coming up on 289C's new for $520 free delivery.
287C's were a bit cheaper at $460 new but crazy dear when you can get a good 4ch DSO for $499.

I was meaning for the warranty.

I wouldn't buy expensive equipment if there would be a problem if it craps out on you. Especially if you can get one with no warranty problems just the same.
There is plenty decent stuff and plenty crap comes out of China... same as anywhere I suppose?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf