Author Topic: Fluke 289 Meter  (Read 26143 times)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 289 Meter
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2019, 02:21:08 am »
I appreciate your sincerity and I take the point about TEA, which can get to the best of us! What I would like is to have two very capable handheld DMMs, preferably with somewhat different features, so that between the two one can cover just about everything. I am very pleased with the 187 so the 189 might be a good choice for the second meter despite being nearly identical to the 187. The 87-V would also be a good option although I feel the latter is overpriced for what it is, even though well respected. The 289 (but not the 287) seems to have a few extras that differentiate it from both, such as the simultaneous display of min/avg/max as well as the graph, but as you say, these might be considered bells and whistles.... I am also going to have a good look at the Agilents again. I seem also to remember looking at the Hioki, just not many used ones about.

I strongly agree with how overpriced the 87V is on the alternative markets. Although if you are able to get a good deal as I got mine, New for 200$ plus shipping well I think you should just bite the bullet and go for it. ^-^

Now my interest is one of the Scopemeters I used in Telecom, the Fluke 225C. I have one close to me, being sold in Hong Kong but the price... Let's say the owner wants the money and the scope...

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2019, 03:37:42 pm »
Would anyone go for the 87V Ex as opposed to the standard 87V?

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2019, 03:55:47 pm »
Both are equal, the problem is that the Ex from "intrinsically safe" means that:

The terminals and parts of the PCB are covered in epoxy, that means if you damage is almost impossible to repair. Is also gasketted (did this word exist in English? Gasket exists but gasketted?) and kinda airtight when in use. But with that you have most surfaces covered, preventing anything that may cause an explosion. Is still an 87V but because of the rules of equipments to be "intrinsically safe" makes it less serviceable than the standard 87V.

More info:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fluke-87v-ex-true-rms-multimeter/

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2019, 02:05:36 pm »
So, for those who have been unable to sleep at night worrying about my being scammed on eBay, you'll be pleased to hear that my $331 refund finally made it onto my credit card today  :-+

I've been reading up on the U1242C and I'm very happy with that purchase decision; it hasn't shipped yet but that's par for the course when buying stuff from Keysight though their eBay store.  If you can get one from Keysight for $217 with a U1173B IR-USB serial cable included, it makes a compelling case vs a Fluke 87V, especially given the pretty good and free logging software available from Keysight.

[Edit] I got an email notification that my U1242C has shipped from Keysight (Roseville, CA) yesterday; FedEx tracking says that the item has yet to arrive with them but I suspect they will pick it up today and it's coming FedEx Express so I should receive it by the end of this week.  I'll start a new thread to go over what I think of it and add a link to it from this post.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:54:49 am by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline drumbum

• Contributor
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2019, 09:47:33 pm »
Here is some more sleazebay fun.

Check out this de-5000 listing (item#233390935646).

Have a look before it's pulled.

100% positive feedback,...all fridge magnets...

So many items in the sellers store!

|O

The feedback left for the scammer sachare19 (read-sack hair) is growing by bounds.

I am starting to think sleazebays customer service is in on it, as they haven't/didn't taken measures to prevent more being scammed.  They were warned early.

Pukes

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2019, 01:51:29 pm »
Gandalr_Sr, glad you got the refund. That must have been one anxious wait! One thing I read about those Keysight/Agilent meters and that has held me back is regarding the rotary knob contacts wearing prematurely compared to Fluke. I'm not sure whether this applies to a specific models or Agilent vs Keysight branded versions or more generally. The test here is on a U1231 which is at the low end:

Maybe higher end models are not so affected? he makes a point about the contacts not being lubricated, but doesn't mention whether lubrication would help to extend the longevity? The video is from 2017, so maybe things have improved in later versions? I have re-considered my purchase of a Fluke 289 in favour of an Agilent/Keysight meter so would be very interested in your observations when you unit arrives.

Incidentally I came across a used U1273 U1272A for a reasonable price. There were a couple of minor scratches on the display, but otherwise it looked clean. However, it was from overseas (far east) and comes only with basic DIY looking probes, so the purchase looks a bit risky although he claims to be a second-hand goods seller.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:14:05 am by WaveyDipole »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2019, 03:20:21 pm »
WaveyDipole I wasn't really anxious as much as irritated but that's all in the rear view mirror now. 

The 'used' U1242C arrived yesterday (although the FedEx tracking said it was still in Roseville, CA) and it looks like new including the screen protector, not a mark on it. It came in a box with a sticker on it marked "This transit case is the property of Keysight Demo. Please return it with the instrument packaged inside the case" and a Keysight Harrow UK address.  but the serial number on the box matches the one on the meter.

I put batteries in it and ran it through some basic tests using my DMM Check calibrated reference and it's well within spec, I measure 0.04% for 5V DC (Spec is 0.09%).  The switch seems fine, maybe a little stiff with very strong detents.

I have 3 Agilent/Keysight multimeters now:
- Agilent U1252B bought as NOS on eBay from a slightly dodgy seller who took his time shipping (sounds familiar)
- Agilent U1242B bought from the Keysight store on eBay - like new
- Keysight U1242C bought from the Keysight store on eBay - like new

Here's a couple of pics

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2019, 03:32:16 pm »
WaveyDipole, the rotary switch test on the Agilent/Keysight meter was indeed quite worrying. However, there are a few variables that were discussed at the time that could sway the decision towards either way.

- The somewhat premature break of the Keysight was quite worrisome, but unfortunately the sample size of "one" turns this test somewhat inconclusive.

- The material used in the switch is the most troublesome - perhaps the U123x is built down to a price? I really don't think so, but unfortunately I sold my U1233A a long time ago - otherwise I would have compared it with the U1273A and the U1282A.

- The continuous rotation through the entire scale could potentially cause premature wear due to increased temperature. Joe told us he made sure the twists and turns were quite gentle and not aggressive nor too quick.

- One additional not tested scenario that could cause even extra wear on the U123x line is that it can also be turned with the thumb - this exerts horizontal forces that may wear the opposite side of the tracks faster. For that Joe would need to assemble an quite different test jig and would mean nothing for the other DMM models.

Overall, the sheer number of cycles is daunting for a regular user - after all, 50.000 switches in the lifetime of such equipment means that someone that turns it over 10 times a day without weekends would make it last for about 14 years.

Incidentally I came across a used U1273 for a reasonable price. There were a couple of minor scratches on the display, but otherwise it looked clean. However, it was from overseas (far east) and comes only with basic DIY looking probes, so the purchase looks a bit risky although he claims to be a second-hand goods seller.
Specifically for the U1273A, on the price I would add the possibility of requiring a new display. Keysight sells a replacement display at a very steep price but others folks around here couldn't find quite a drop-in replacement. Among the various reports here on EEVBlog, the vast majority of issues were observed in the previous generation unit U1253, but some reported issues on the U1273A. Mine is going strong for a few years used many times during the week, but it is a spoiled unit that is stored and operates exclusively on non-extreme temperature and humidity.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2019, 03:36:42 pm »
I really like the Agilent/Keysight meters, I also have a Keysight 34461A 6.5 digit bench meter that I bought new about 4 years ago and recently had calibrated.  Here's a side by side of the 3 handhelds...

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2019, 03:58:46 pm »
I really like the Agilent/Keysight meters, I also have a Keysight 34461A 6.5 digit bench meter that I bought new about 4 years ago and recently had calibrated.  Here's a side by side of the 3 handhelds...

Cute little family. Personally I prefer the old Agilent design to the new one.

Well it looks competent, don't forget to open a new topic talking about that collection and what they can do.

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2019, 04:33:28 pm »
WaveyDipole, the rotary switch test on the Agilent/Keysight meter was indeed quite worrying. However, there are a few variables that were discussed at the time that could sway the decision towards either way.

Thanks for the summary and I agree that's the problem with such tests. They can never be fully representative, although they do provide a measurable indication regarding the problem. As you say though, no one in practice constantly rotates all the way form one end to the other of the range or with predictable and balanced force. The contact materials may be different for the higher end meters or maybe not. So yes, I appreciate there are many variables.

Specifically for the U1273A, on the price I would add the possibility of requiring a new display. Keysight sells a replacement display at a very steep price but others folks around here couldn't find quite a drop-in replacement.

Thank you for that info which I have noted. I am aware that ones with OLED display have a problem with it fading after 3 or 4 years, but didn't realise the ones with the LCD display also had problems. Another U1272A has cropped up with proper probes and case. It also looks very clean and the display seems to have good contrast. It is also evident from the photos posted by Galndalf_Sr, that the slimer verion uses a different and slightly larger display. Was it this display that has problems, or the one in the wider older style meters?

Incidentally I noticed in a photo that the meter display temperature without any probe plugged in? Does it have an internal sensor to display ambient temperature? If so, then that might be useful for logging.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2019, 04:49:55 pm »
Incidentally I noticed in a photo that the meter display temperature without any probe plugged in? Does it have an internal sensor to display ambient temperature? If so, then that might be useful for logging.
Yes, these meters do have internal sensors for ambient temperature.  You can change it from C to F too.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2019, 05:45:46 pm »

Thank you for that info which I have noted. I am aware that ones with OLED display have a problem with it fading after 3 or 4 years, but didn't realise the ones with the LCD display also had problems.

Interesting, my disclaimer was due to the fact you mentioned U1273A - the LCD version is U1272A.

Incidentally I came across a used U1273 for a reasonable price.

Despite this, the OLED durability has been quite different depending on the people using them. My meter is three or four years old and was already NOS at the store, but shows absolutely no signs of bleed, pixel burn or dimming. Others said their displays bled when let sit in storage. No one really knows what conditions triggered this early decay, but it is certainly a problem with the technology of the time.

That said, it is still the best display for indoors and you couldn't ask for better appearance on camera.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2019, 08:36:22 pm »

Thank you for that info which I have noted. I am aware that ones with OLED display have a problem with it fading after 3 or 4 years, but didn't realise the ones with the LCD display also had problems.

Interesting, my disclaimer was due to the fact you mentioned U1273A - the LCD version is U1272A.

Mea culpa. I did indeed mention the "U1273" by mistake. I had been looking at the Keysight blurb on both, but the meter I was interested in was an Agilent branded U1272A which has an LCD. Unfortunately it has now gone. AFAIKT, the display is the only difference between the U1272A and U1273A but I stand to be corrected. Thanks for the clarification and info on the OLED displays. They certainly look vivid and seem to have excellent contrast when new. They are being used on all sorts of equipment nowdays and I guess that like most technologies, their longevity will probably improve with with further development as the technology matures.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:15:54 am by WaveyDipole »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2019, 12:54:38 am »
The OLEDs look stunning but their questionable reliability is  a reason to avoid them unless you actually need them for some reason.

Offline frogg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2019, 09:11:05 pm »
I bought a new meter from ebay that was manufactured in January 2019 and after I got it, installed new batteries made by Duracell Optimum 1.5 V Alkaline AA kind of never used it, but made sure it worked and set the time and date and shut it off and after about 2 week tried to turn it on but was dead. Took the battery compartment out and you could see the batteries actually were bad and corroded the battery pack a little. Actually bought a new cover for 50 bucks, but clean the contacts in the old one that was new with the meter and have been watching the batteries and meter for about a week Turning it on everyday and seems ok. I know the meter will drain down the batteries over time but in two weeks of not being used! What do you guys think is going on. Can I use lithium battery? But what to think about this problem and also bring new. Maybe possible when I put it in its new case I hit the power button, but not sure. Advise would be nice!

I have a 289. The last time I changed the batteries was with some cheap 1.5V alkalines about 8 months ago. The meter still turns on fine (in fact, I used it a few days ago to datalog current draw.)

What you are describing is not normal.

Why you're experiencing it, I have no idea, but if it's in warranty, get it change out for a new unit right away.

Offline dab147315Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2019, 09:25:42 pm »
I had no issues since I change to Lithium batteries.Only thing maybe I hit the on button when I put it in the case. I know I have warranty! Turn it on everyday and batteries show full indicator!

Offline tincho80

« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2020, 10:02:30 pm »
I bought a new meter from ebay that was manufactured in January 2019 and after I got it, installed new batteries made by Duracell Optimum 1.5 V Alkaline AA kind of never used it, but made sure it worked and set the time and date and shut it off and after about 2 week tried to turn it on but was dead. Took the battery compartment out and you could see the batteries actually were bad and corroded the battery pack a little. Actually bought a new cover for 50 bucks, but clean the contacts in the old one that was new with the meter and have been watching the batteries and meter for about a week Turning it on everyday and seems ok. I know the meter will drain down the batteries over time but in two weeks of not being used! What do you guys think is going on. Can I use lithium battery? But what to think about this problem and also bring new. Maybe possible when I put it in its new case I hit the power button, but not sure. Advise would be nice!
So far with the new Lithium batteries and new battery case holder I am good, but wonder why when I turn on the light it goes to high, then hit button again goes to low.Seems like all the videos I see it's the opposite. Maybe it's because of this being made in January 2019?

Same for mine, just bought on ebay some days ago, OEM calibration 2019-07-24, SN 4675xxxx: first hit on light button back light turns on, second hit the light dims, third hit light goes off.

Offline Marco1971

• Contributor
« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2020, 03:15:41 pm »
Mee too...I use my 287 with Energizer Lithium Ultimate without any issues.

Marco1971.

Offline Ohm

« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2020, 03:41:55 pm »
I am dab147315 somehow when first register here it did not go through and I am Ohm now! Anyhow I still have no problem with the 289 fluke meter and a believer in lithium batteries. Just change batteries in a carbon monoxide over to Lithium. One battery was starting to corrode. In my Fluke 289 it was so fast that they leak within 2 weeks it made my brain spin. I could see if it was maybe 1 year or so but that fast was crazy. All is well now!

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2020, 07:00:39 pm »
One thing I read about those Keysight/Agilent meters and that has held me back is regarding the rotary knob contacts wearing prematurely compared to Fluke. I'm not sure whether this applies to a specific models or Agilent vs Keysight branded versions or more generally. The test here is on a U1231 which is at the low end:

Maybe higher end models are not so affected? he makes a point about the contacts not being lubricated, but doesn't mention whether lubrication would help to extend the longevity? The video is from 2017, so maybe things have improved in later versions? I have re-considered my purchase of a Fluke 289 in favour of an Agilent/Keysight meter so would be very interested in your observations when you unit arrives.

There was a guy on this site that had claimed to put 10s of thousands of cycles on these meters every year with no problems.   They were going to debunk what I show but they couldn't ever take their meter apart to show if the detent spring was the same or not. 

I doubt lubrication would have prevented that detent spring from cracking.  It appears to have just been a VERY poor material selection.   Maybe a supplier screwed up.  I saw a similar lapse in quality on that brand new 87V I looked at. 

Keysight, even though they hang around on this forum have never commented on it.   

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2020, 03:16:43 pm »
So, if I set up a machine to turn the knobs on my multimeter for a week or 3, they would fail... hmmmm.

Does anyone actually have a Keysight (or any other brand meter) which the knob dropped off?

I'll go first... I have had upteen meters, Fluke, Keysight, Aneng, and never had a knob come off any of them.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2020, 04:57:12 pm »
The detent spring broke on my very first DMM, a Radio Shack 22-174 I bought around 1994. (Mind you, it took over 15 years to fail.) I’ve always wondered who the OEM on that was...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:04:10 pm by tooki »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2020, 06:33:42 pm »
I have been using meters (HPAK, Fluke, Uni-T, etc.) with rotary switches for quite some time and I still haven't seen any problems as reported by Joe. That doesn't mean his test is invalid, but I suspect it may have been an on/off event. The low lifespan (~2000 cycles IIRC) would be low enough to make big crowds with pitchforks and torches set camp in front of their HQ.

IME, the worst meters were the ones where the detents were so smooth that it was easy to leave them half way between two scales. Those were tossed in frustration.

Offline AleXis6

« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2023, 10:11:51 pm »
hi.
could you help me please
it was possible to record > 60000 samples in 2020  (>18 hours for measurement every 1 second)
but now it is available less than 3 hours for every 1 second measurement, so If I need 24 hours measurement it will be measured every 9 seconds
I delete all data from memory, and 99% of memory available for records.
I do not know what is changed.

May be I recorded via PC previously
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 07:50:22 am by AleXis6 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf