Author Topic: Fluke 45 for $100... tempted to buy  (Read 2253 times)

Offline DanielSpokaneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fluke 45 for $100... tempted to buy
« on: June 17, 2019, 05:03:41 am »
I'm curious your thoughts. Someone locally is selling a nearly new looking Fluke 45 for $100. I don't have a specific need for it (I have a Siglent SDM 3055 and Fluke 87V that I use for my electronics work)… but I'm tempted to buy. Looks like it is in great condition... and I have a weakness for test equipment... and love fluke.

I know these are older instruments... but seem like a good piece of equipment. Do you think this is a decent deal? … worth buying? It doesn't look like it could easily be hooked up to a LAN or USB (correct?). so would need to be just dedicated bench measurements.

Anything thoughts/advise would be much appreciated. 

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke 45 for $100... tempted to buy
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 05:46:13 am »
Several years ago, I bought a 45 from my company for $200. It had been replaced by Keithley 2000 meters. $100 sounds fair for one that works properly.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 05:52:39 am »
You can always flip it Craigslist or EBay or OfferUp or here on EEVBLOG.  So buy it, play with it, if you tire of it, sell it!   ;D

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 10:15:30 am »
If the display is good, and the overall  state and shape is good  why not ?

And the service manual is avalable if ...
https://www.seattleu.edu/media/college-of-science-and-engineering/files/departments/electricalandcomputerengineering/Fluke_45_ServiceManual3ec7.pdf

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 06:35:53 pm »
What I always liked about the 45 is the MIN/MAX function. Incredibly useful for data logging to see if there was a surge or drop-out.
My Keithley 2015 can't do that, nor can the K2000 AFAIK.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 07:38:20 pm »
The K2000 can read up to 1024 readings into a buffer, and then retrieve the minimum, maximum, average and population standard deviation of the buffer contents. It can't continuously determine the minimum and maximum values without connecting it to a computer, as far as I know.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 08:16:01 pm »
The 45 does an excellent job with dual measurements, DC+AC at the same time works very well. @ $100 if it is useful to you then grab it.
VE7FM

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 08:43:25 pm »
The K2000 can read up to 1024 readings into a buffer, and then retrieve the minimum, maximum, average and population standard deviation of the buffer contents. It can't continuously determine the minimum and maximum values without connecting it to a computer, as far as I know.

Which makes it too cumbersome and a PITA (to me, anyway). The 45 is easy peasy, and it'll pick up a very short duration drop-out or surge, if you set the digits to a minimum resolution. Good for monitoring a power rail. I may just start looking for one myself. I had one back in the late 90's at work.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline GerryR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 11:09:06 pm »
I have a 45 and one of the good things about it is the full 5 digit resolution on the slow scan mode, 1uV resolution DC and AC, 100 nA DC and AC, 1 mOhm, .01 Hz, etc.  Great little bench meter, and really handy to have the dual display.
Still learning; good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 12:43:10 am »
I love my 45, I wouldn't sell it for $100. I don't advocate buying things you don't need though. If you have a good use case then go for it, otherwise I'd say leave it for someone who does need one.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 02:07:16 am »
I love my 45, I wouldn't sell it for $100. I don't advocate buying things you don't need though. If you have a good use case then go for it, otherwise I'd say leave it for someone who does need one.

You do realize that a statement like this would go over like a fart in a space suit in the TEA therapy thread, right?  :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 01:53:38 pm »
I had a 45 at work way back when they were new; I really liked using it.  FWIW...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 04:16:30 pm »

You do realize that a statement like this would go over like a fart in a space suit in the TEA therapy thread, right?  :-DD

Sure but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be said. No sense in fueling the hoarder fire by adding positive feedback to the loop even if stopping it is futile. Back when I was struggling to obtain gear I remember being frustrated by frequent encounters with hoarders who had piles of instruments they didn't even use but couldn't part with.

Offline Ordinaryman1971

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 08:00:47 pm »
Buy it... third meter.. sounds like a must. Even for getting familiar with how it works and knowing the difference.
You may be surprised how often you would use it after putting it on your bench. I still use TM500 modules everyday...
I think older equipment is often overlooked, you may like it better than your newer one.
Just for dual display, I think it's worth the money.

Offline DanielSpokaneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 01:01:48 pm »
Thanks for all the input. I went ahead and bought it. You guys are right. Pretty nice meter. I think a very nice addition to my equipment. I like the dual display.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf