Products > Test Equipment

Fluke 540B Thermal Transfer Standard

(1/6) > >>

quarks:
Hello all,

a few days ago I had the chance to get a Fluke 540B plus a complete accessories set of A40/A40A and A55.
I do have the instruction Manual, but there seems to be not much detail about the current shunts. Also there is mentioned a A45 Current Transfer Switch, which I do not have. Do I need the A45 or is it just convenient to have it.

Are there any users of this unit, who can share tips and tricks?
So far I could not find detailed shunt spec values. I tried to measure the resistance values, but they are odd somehow. Does anyone know these values or how to check if the shunts are in its specs?

thx
quarks

ftransform:
What exactly does this thing do?

quarks:
The Fluke 540B is as the name says a Thermal Transfer Standard. It is a calibration lab unit. It uses a thermocouple response method (probably one of the most accurate ways for AC) for measurement and calibration of ACV (and with the shunts also ACI). It compares/transfers AC to DC and then use a Nulldetector to match to the same exact effective values. This works in a very wide range (0.25V to 1000V (with A40/A40A 10mA up to 20A range), 5Hz-1Mhz (with A55 up to 50MHz, max. then is 50V) and down to 0.01% accuracy.

quarks:

--- Quote from: quarks on January 23, 2013, 07:59:05 am ---Are there any users of this unit, who can share tips and tricks?

So far I could not find detailed shunt spec values. I tried to measure the resistance values, but they are odd somehow. Does anyone know these values or how to check if the shunts are in its specs?

--- End quote ---

I still hope to find others here, who use this Fluke or can give some advice.

Thx
quarks

alm:
The shunts are designed to work with a ~90 ohm load in parallel (the shunt inputs of the 540B). The voltage across the shunt would be about 0.45 V at the full rated input current with the 90 ohm in parallel. Calibrating current shunts require a precision current source (or bench supply with DMM in series). The resistance may change slightly at higher currents due to heating.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version