Author Topic: Do You Prefer Manual Or Auto Range?  (Read 6091 times)

Offline SatchTopic starter

• Contributor
Do You Prefer Manual Or Auto Range?
« on: April 24, 2016, 02:04:31 pm »
Gents, been watching Dave's videos for awhile now and finally registered. So no 'what's the best' questions here. What I was wondering is whether you gents prefer the manual or auto ranging features on meters? I know the simple answer is; both. However, I have come to appreciate the functionality of rotary knobs and similar to make things a bit more intuitive. This is one of the issues with modern mobile radios to include most am/fm functions in cars. Loads of buttons and menus and sub menus that become a bit much at times.

I ask about it because I was fiddling around at the BK Precision site and noticed the 388b and the 391. The 388 has the dial with each function range right there on it and it made me wonder. The old Keithly and Fluke bench meters look antiquated these days but there was something familiar and easy to remember about a dead bang push of the switch.  Anyroad, great site and loads of information. Thanks for letting me participate.

BTW, I actually did try the search function several times with terms like 'prefer manual or auto range' and similar. Adding or losing words trying to make it simpler. Nothing. I also selected the search titles only option. Maybe I am not doing it correctly? 

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: Do You Prefer Manual Or Auto Range?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 02:36:20 pm »
I prefer to have both. Based on the type of measurement autorange is very useful sometimes, and at other times it's annoying and manual range is suited better. Unfortunately not all DMMs support both.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 03:29:19 pm »
There's something to be said for the directness of manual selection, yes.

The problem I see with manual selection is the sheer number of functions a good meter has to provide. There simply isn't enough space on the dial if you go beyond volts/ohms/amps.

eg. Imagine adding capacitance to this:

Auto-ranging lets you have a big chunky selector with far less room for error.

Normally you'll get an extra button to select a range manually, so...  :-//
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 03:43:45 pm by Fungus »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 04:04:08 pm »
Auto-ranging lets you have a big chunky selector with far less room for error.

Normally you'll get an extra button to select a range manually, so...  :-//

I fully agree. Autorange by default and a "Range" button to switch to manual range and to select the range should be standard.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 04:22:04 pm »
eg. Imagine adding capacitance to this:

Oh, wait, I just noticed it has capacitance.  Only one range, but it's there! :-DD

Competition time: Which manual meter has the most range settings on its dial?  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 02:28:40 pm by Fungus »

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 07:26:39 pm »
Thanks gents. That's about what I figured. I've often wondered just how many functions could be comfortably included on a dial. It almost makes me wonder if rotary dial and selector switch combination would be workable? Sort of like the auto range with 'range' button you see now but rather than strictly menu driven have it in the form of a much smaller adjacent rotary dial offset from the main dial.

Sorry, rambling now and daydreaming a bit. I just like the tactile feel of rotary knobs and mechanical switches with detent positions.  I can only imagine a tv repair tech from the 1960s shaking his head at such questions. If he would have had even a lower end UNI-T multifunction hand  held meter he would have been miles ahead of his competition.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 02:36:54 pm »
You could go the opposite way:

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 02:59:14 pm »
A good autorange DMM will also have a range selector to lock it on a specific range if/when you need it.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 05:39:57 pm »
An autorange voltmeter without a function to freeze the range is useless to me.  I often look at voltages that are changing, and the cycle time for auto-ranging messes up the process.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:10:00 pm »
Just kicking this thread a bit. I had to comment on the 8060A. Dang, those old Flukes look just as sexy today as they did forty years ago. The 8060A had the diode check but if I am not mistaken, there is a continuity button on the top row. Yes/no? I didn't think any of those old Flukes or Keithleys had it but I am not well versed in their history. Love the retro simple interfaces though.

BTW, I re-read original post and it read a bit like I was asking if you wanted either/or. Really I should have asked it more like do you like buttons or knobs?

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 11:46:23 pm »
Just kicking this thread a bit. I had to comment on the 8060A. Dang, those old Flukes look just as sexy today as they did forty years ago. The 8060A had the diode check but if I am not mistaken, there is a continuity button on the top row. Yes/no? I didn't think any of those old Flukes or Keithleys had it but I am not well versed in their history. Love the retro simple interfaces though.

BTW, I re-read original post and it read a bit like I was asking if you wanted either/or. Really I should have asked it more like do you like buttons or knobs?

Yes, the Fluke 8060A has continuity, and it's one of the best implementations of it AFAIK. The continuity is instant and latched, and you can also select to show continuity on the LCD (there's a bar above the reading).  :-+

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 02:10:29 am »
You could go the opposite way:

I had a Fluke 12 when I started, it's a pretty good starter DMM. If you forget to change to voltage while on resistance it will auto select voltage so you don't stress/damage the meter. It's a far cry from the 87V I have now but still had a quick updating screen, quick continuity buzzer and was dead on accurate.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 05:41:56 am »

Offline Terry Lingle

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 04:07:48 pm »
Safety is my main concern when using any test gear.
I work in a high energy hi voltage environment.  For years I used a Fluke 8060a  but due to its age it lacks some certification marks on the case so I replaced it with an 87-V and hate it for the autoranging feature.
A properly protected meter will survive connection to 600 v on the low voltage range and will display it's over range  symbol.  It will also display .05v when connected to a circuit that is not powered and has a small induced voltage on it. the 87v on auto range will show .586volts which looks in poor lighting the same as 586v. This can cause lost time and troubleshooting errors.
that are annoying to say the least.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf