Author Topic: Fluke 8060A DMM AC Measurements  (Read 1068 times)

Offline AttorneyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fluke 8060A DMM AC Measurements
« on: March 06, 2020, 07:45:30 pm »
I recently acquired a NOS Fluke 8060A DMM.  I have already replaced all electrolytic caps as described in an earlier message thread.  This 8060A is a late manufacture date (S/N starts with 682) and has the newest AC RMS daughterboard installed. 

My issue is that in any AC measurement range, the display takes a long time to settle -- approximately 5 seconds.  It takes the same time to settle down to zero with the probes shorted.  By contrast, my older 8060A (pre-daughterboard) settles very quickly, in less than 1 second. 

It would be helpful if I can get reports from others who also have a high S/N 8060A and perhaps share the AC settle times.  It may just be the way the daughterboard behaves but I need feedback from others to verify. Thanks!

Paul

Offline AttorneyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke 8060A DMM AC Measurements
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:37:57 pm »
When all else fails, read the manual.  Fluke's specified AC response time is <5 seconds.  <1 second for any DC measurement.  So, what I'm seeing is within spec, albeit on the ragged edge. From the manual:

"Five seconds maximum to rated accuracy within selected range, 12 seconds to rated accuracy from an overload."

Paul

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluke 8060A DMM AC Measurements
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 09:31:44 am »
The true-rms analog chip is to blame , even in many new multimeters is the slowest part of the chain ...
It uses electrolytic capacitors for computing the square root , slow charge/discharge and big settling time .

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf