Author Topic: Fluke 87V (2021) teardown  (Read 7988 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 87V (2021) teardown
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2021, 07:43:25 pm »
I agree those sleeve underneath the fuse is that's smth. what you immediately pay attention to. Not the best design decision. Though while fuse is not blown the potential here on fuse holder clamps is about a couple of mV to the ground due to fuse extra low resistance. So no ways arc can arise here. The only way for arc to arise is to measure high voltage circuits (lets say more than 1kV) and high energy at the same time in order to blown the fuse (lets say more than 30A). Then yes that dangerous voltage would potentially trigger an arc to the battery leads. What voltage we need here to go through sleeve and through battery leads insulation? I guess more than 10kV. I've seen some test on youtube for that particular case (see below). BTW working with so high voltage/energy is out of scope for this meter, its even not a cat. IV I guess.

The cat ratings are for operator safety: it means the meter has been designed to be safe on circuits of a given type and voltage, by complying with requirements for transients. (E.g. CAT III 1000V and CAT IV 600V both require testing against 8000V transients.) By “safe”, we mean that no harm will come to the person using the meter. It does not mean the meter itself has to survive. Fluke’s entire reputation (and ability to charge high prices) is based on safety in industrial settings, so if they say a product is CAT III 1000V/CAT IV 600V, then it is, and they’ll have had this independently tested.

As for Joe’s video, I want to say that there have been other reports of the same meter surviving similar tests. I think even Joe himself has said something to that effect. (If he’s listening, maybe he can fill us in, my memory on the issue is spotty.) Either way, the meter failing does NOT constitute a failure of the cat rating.

The following users thanked this post: SerjP

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2021, 12:38:33 am »
Thanks for sharing.
How old is the 87 line now?
Introduced in the late 80's IIRC.

I'm not sure when the 80 series was introduced. I bought my first generation 87 new in 1997 and to this day it's my first grab and go to DMM.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2021, 03:07:19 am »
How old is the 87 line now?
Introduced in the late 80's IIRC.
Introduced in Nov 1988 according to this thread that started 11 years ago by banned member Kiriakos-GR.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/i-need-to-know-the-history-of-fluke-87-(-1998-2010-)/msg3033264/#msg3033264

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2021, 08:10:59 am »
Are you sure this meter hasn't been tampered with, before you bought it?
A missing O-ring and suspicious fuses make me wonder.
Well, if W****** is a Fluke authorized distributor and the meter was purchased *new*, that possibility would be a very troublesome scenario.

We are official German distributor for Brymen, Maynuo and Siglent.
45 days refund policy

Fluke is not mentioned. They sell from official distributors: 110 series/87V/287/289
What happens to returned meters?

One can buy spare fuses with the 87V purchase. (Cooper Bussmann Only!) (9.50 Euros each)

From their site:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:30:48 am by Wytnucls »

Offline SerjPTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2021, 06:41:12 pm »
Littelfuse fuses are rated the same, but are somewhat cheaper.
Unless things have changed dramatically recently, all new 87 V meters come with Bussmann fuses.
Are you sure this meter hasn't been tampered with, before you bought it?
A missing O-ring and suspicious fuses make me wonder.

Contact Fluke Germany if you want to find out:

Fluke Deutschland GmbH
Thank you @Wytnucls. Dropped them a message.
Got the response from them:
Code: [Select]
Thank you for the information you provided us with regarding the missing o-ring.

And for your question regarding the fuse brand, we received following feedback:
“Littelfuse and Bussman are both manufacturers who have this type of fuse in their range and supply it to Fluke. There is no qualitative difference, both manufacturers are approved by us. So, everything is okay with the fuse”.

Hope we could answer your question.

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 11:34:23 am »
After a couple of months playing email ping pong with the seller I'm still did not get neither the missing o-ring nor any compensation.
The only thing I get from them is promises. Not so happy about it. While they were so kind at the beginning of email communication, unfortunately they don't keep their word on the issue resolution.

What do you guys think is better to do now? I'm thinking of contacting Fluke representatives. But it looks like W**** where I bought my unit from is not the authorized Fluke distributor. It may means the limited lifetime warranty is not applicable for my case. Do you think it worth trying anyway?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 12:19:25 pm »
What do you guys think is better to do now? I'm thinking of contacting Fluke representatives. But it looks like W**** where I bought my unit from is not the authorized Fluke distributor. It may means the limited lifetime warranty is not applicable for my case. Do you think it worth trying anyway?
Well, as one of my managers used to say: the no you already have. it doesn't hurt trying to go for a yes.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline nicknails

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2021, 01:34:51 pm »
In picture 3189, what are the 4 pads that have a sinusoidal space between them?

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2021, 04:00:50 pm »
Well, as one of my managers used to say: the no you already have. it doesn't hurt trying to go for a yes.
well said!

In picture 3189, what are the 4 pads that have a sinusoidal space between them?
It is just a push buttons contact pads. I think I also paid attention to them when I opened the meter for the first time. My first thought was maybe this is a printed capacitor of very small capacity or pads for some components which are missed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:17:46 pm by SerjP »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2021, 03:44:44 am »
As for Joe’s video, I want to say that there have been other reports of the same meter surviving similar tests. I think even Joe himself has said something to that effect. (If he’s listening, maybe he can fill us in, my memory on the issue is spotty.) Either way, the meter failing does NOT constitute a failure of the cat rating.

I am not sure what you want to know.  In the video that was referenced, I show that section of the IEC standard and talk about the requirements.   I would imagine any meter that has been certified would have had to pass that test.   Of course, I mention I don't have a power supply that meets their criteria but if it broke down, we would know it. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf