Author Topic: Fluke 87V switch's white mark  (Read 2244 times)

Offline EmelDTopic starter

Fluke 87V switch's white mark
« on: December 02, 2022, 04:25:23 pm »
Hello everyone. I recently bought a new 87V and found that the mode switch does not have a white label. How could this happen? This is not the Chinese version :(

Offline Wrenches of Death

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke 87V switch's white mark
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 05:17:18 pm »
I recently bought a new 87V and found that the mode switch does not have a white label. How could this happen?

Check out the Markal Paintstik B. Grab the white one. Practice on an old knob first.

I've used them to fill untold hundreds of lines on knobs, instrument panels, firearm serial numbers, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Some people call them a lumber crayon. Around these parts, they're a couple of bucks apiece at the hardware store. One should should last you for a very long time.

WoD

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 05:50:50 pm »
I'd contact Fluke and see if it is a manufacturing defect, as the marking is in their website product photos.
For your time and money, I would get some modeller's paint and a toothpick and fill it in. Masking tape to prevent a mess.

People have noticed Fluke's plastics changing, the quality has lowered as if they are offshoring the plastics.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 05:55:37 pm »
Hmm...
First I thought why, it´s normal....
Then had a look at my pic:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/choosing-a-multimeter-decisions-decisions/msg4523789/#msg4523789

It´s white marked, so we must have several with and without marking.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 10:20:27 pm »
Hello everyone. I recently bought a new 87V and found that the mode switch does not have a white label. How could this happen? This is not the Chinese version :(
i bought my 87V directly from USA ebay seller and exactly no white marking like yours. why worry? maybe to get the white marking, ask somebody or Fluke authorized seller with older batch to switch with yours.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 10:25:41 pm »
You buy from Ebay seller. Is it less expensive? I wouldn't want my meter without the white mark unless Fluke decided to no longer put the white mark there.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 11:14:12 pm »
You buy from Ebay seller. Is it less expensive? I wouldn't want my meter without the white mark unless Fluke decided to no longer put the white mark there.
yes its a bit less expensive than our local seller and i got free pelican case. the serial number sticker is on the side of the box so i believe its very legit (manufactured jan 2022). and the seller is selling nothing but Fluke used and new, i watched him for years selling fluke come and go until i saw the right deal (new Fluke and pelican case)

ironically, my fluke's box still showing 87V with white mark on the picture... few other ebay US sellers with actual picture showing 87V with no white mark. if its fake, Fluke must be doing something on it already...
ebay link 1
ebay link 2
ebay link 3
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 05:09:13 am »
Did really a white mark matters?

My 289 spot on the rotary dial was half white, and was a new 289 FVF Kit sold by the official Fluke Portugal reseller.

I didn't really cared that much, heck I even removed the rest of the mark to be uniform. It doesn't affect the rotary dial assembly or even visualization of which option is selected because of the design of the dial itself.

So I really don't understand this matter but OK.

Plus my 87V also come with the white mark in case you asking, and was a eBay deal.

NOS (manufactured in 2017) from a seller who was selling surplus equipment from his company.

Offline EmelDTopic starter

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 07:39:35 am »
I'd contact Fluke and see if it is a manufacturing defect, as the marking is in their website product photos.
For your time and money, I would get some modeller's paint and a toothpick and fill it in. Masking tape to prevent a mess.
i bought my 87V directly from USA ebay seller and exactly no white marking like yours. why worry?
People have noticed Fluke's plastics changing, the quality has lowered as if they are offshoring the plastics.

I'm more concerned about the quality at all. For example, the quality of inscriptions on the top plastic panel is bad enought. By the way, exactly the chinese version of 87V doesn't have the white mark.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 10:58:02 am »
By the way, exactly the chinese version of 87V doesn't have the white mark.
do you have proof for that? my 87V says on the back.. "Assembled in USA" what chance a china clone got sneaked into USA market?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 12:05:43 pm »
Me, I would contact Fluke for this when it´s so important, telling them the concerns of having a fake product and wait for their answer.
Everything else are speculations.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 12:53:12 pm »
Me, I would contact Fluke for this when it´s so important, telling them the concerns of having a fake product and wait for their answer.
Everything else are speculations.

It's not going to be "fake", but it might be a grey import.

OTOH they might have run out of white paint that day and the boss said "make them anyway!".

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 01:28:00 pm »
what does it mean grey market? legit instruments from legit factory, is just through unauthorized channels? or less than par certification/calibration/reject result sold in unauthorized channels? or else? what? if i really care about white mark, i'll use pen correction liquid, 1 second fix.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 02:03:57 pm by Mechatrommer »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 01:31:59 pm »
It's not going to be "fake"

Just to attract a bit more attention, given the amount of emails they might get every day. ;)

Offline Arhigos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 03:21:11 pm »
Older 87v had white painting. New 87v doesn't have it anymore.

Also old 87v had a shaft from stainless steel inside knob. New 87v knob is fully made from plastic.

Offline Mcircuits

• techy at day
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 11:45:22 pm »
I think there is no white mark on that Fluke 87 V since the one that I repaired does not have any too but it is original.

to see check this out. Thanks

https://mastercircuits.blogspot.com/2022/12/fluke-85v-troubleshooting.html

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2022, 12:36:23 am »
what does it mean grey market? legit instruments from legit factory, is just through unauthorized channels? or less than par certification/calibration/reject result sold in unauthorized channels? or else? what? if i really care about white mark, i'll use pen correction liquid, 1 second fix.

Yes, grey market refers to products sold in through unauthorized channels or regions. Manufacturers typically refuse warranty service on a grey market product. It's a common practice in a number of product areas, including photography (cameras and lenses) and hi-fi audio gear. I once bought a Yamaha A/V receiver that sold for $1200 in the states from a grey market reseller for $700 who provided a written warranty promising to service/replace it during the factory warranty period. I had that receiver for years and it was great, well worth taking the risk vs the money saved. The main risk is in choosing a reputable dealer who will stand behind the product in lieu of the manufacturer.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2022, 06:02:23 am »
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 06:05:50 am by Mechatrommer »

Offline Ugur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2022, 08:28:57 am »
Remember this piece is original. It is now produced this way.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2022, 11:26:50 am »
they save on the paint 

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2022, 09:33:17 pm »
Yes I think so. Our newer Fluke 87v (bought this year) doesn't have the white mark. 

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2022, 10:12:59 pm »
Yesterday I´ve looked on every 87 I could get at work (appx 20 pcs), all got the important white mark, the last we bought were from 2021.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2022, 08:28:40 am »
Yes I think so. Our newer Fluke 87v (bought this year) doesn't have the white mark.

Looks like some bean-counter figured out they could remove one more step from the production costs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf