Author Topic: TLA714 - A New Project - Edited  (Read 3968 times)

Offline henno10000Topic starter

TLA714 - A New Project - Edited
« on: November 09, 2016, 03:30:09 pm »
Hi,

I just scored a TLA714 with TLA7E1, and TLA7N4 200MHz State and 4Mb depth on Ebay.

I know I have several things to accomplish. There are no probes, pods, grabbers ...So, I'll score some on Ebay unless people have some at good prices ??

TLA s/w is V4.4. Needs to Be 5.1 or above.

The screen tint is a creamy yellow, the memory and HDD need upgrading ( now ordered on fleabay) etc.

My questions :

1/ Is there a replacement LCD screen available anywhere ( even from China ) ?

2/ I have seen the thread and have the info to upgrade the TLA software to 5.1 and beyond.... as well as the files from RF Des. ( Thanks!! BTW)

BUT, Do I need to upgrade the PC BIOS in the TLA too ? How ?

3/ Should I go for Win 2000, or Win XP ? Which Service pack revisions ?
I have CD's for both  ... Just need advice

4/ Should I aim for an 80gb 2.5 Inch IDE HDD, or try to fit a 64gb SSD ?? Is there room for an IDE/SATA adapter ?

(I seem to remember seeing someone had done this already, but cant find the thread )..... IS there any speed difference with file R/W??

5/ Does the TLA software have FFT and math functions for the scope module ?

If not, I may need to keep my LeCroy 9354AL ( It's going on fleabay next week if the TLA s/w has fft/math functions. )

Keith

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:40:12 am by henno10000 »
The definition of insanity : Doing the same thing time and time again and expecting the result to change.

Re: TLA714 - A New Project - Update, and new Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 12:24:45 pm »
Interesting turn of events ...

The LA has 30gb of HDD, and 128mb of RAM, the latest bios etc. I have upgraded Win2K to SP 4, and installed IE6, Net Framework 1.1 and 2 bioth with SP1.

TLA software runs locally, but when attempting to run the server for V5.1 sp1 of the TLA software I get an error message saying " incorrect modules and services". My client PC can see the TLA on the network, even run GPIB commands across VXI, so, it isn't a network issue. The TLA software runs fine locally, and I can remote desktop into it too. There are zero errors inside the software, or with the cards. Everything is in CAL..... Just plain weird!

I just want to get that part working and I'll be happy.

Ideas ?? Thoughts ??

Keith
The definition of insanity : Doing the same thing time and time again and expecting the result to change.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: TLA714 - A New Project - Edited
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 12:47:37 pm »
IIRC: Before you start the server you have to shutdown the local software. That should be a startup option if you click the TLA server tray icon.

I wouldn't worry too much about the display because the logic analyser is much more convenient to use from a PC anyway. Also keep your Lecroy oscilloscope but I'd be interested in learning more about the features offered by the TLA7E1 analog module.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:51:21 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: henno10000

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 01:28:25 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply :)

The server hasn't installed into the tray, ( I have to start the server from the Win2K menu). TLA desktop isn't running when I try to start the server, and there were no install errors....so, maybe that is the issue ??

TEKVISA is installed into the tray, and that appears to work ok. What version should I be running ??

I will investigate further when I get home tonight. I will probably go back to V4.4, check it works ok, then upgrade from there.  Most of the advice I have has come from the forum here, and your and @TiN previous work on this, so thanks!!

The LeCroy is going for sale .... I have also acquired a TDS754A, and the iView cables etc., and I plan on making that into a TDS784A with all option from the info here in the forum.

I will be looking for a TLA7PG2, and a TLA7AA4 at some point... So, if any readers have one, let me know :)

Keith

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 02:11:28 pm »
Beware that Tek gradually dropped the support of these cool cards (pattern gen, oscilloscope) from one TLA version to the next. I think the latest TLA 6.1 pretty much supports TLA7AA4 and newer. A bit sad, as these are interesting cards, but the older software versions are slow :/

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:40:59 pm »
Last night, I checked the software installs again ....

All the service packs and patches are installed.

TLA V 5.1 will not start the server module period ( and yes, I did shut down the TLA s/w first :) ).

The current modules ( 7E1, and 7N4 ) are not recognzed by the TLA software.

Downgraded to V4.4 of TLA, and hey presto, the modules appear again, and work.

I'm thinking I need to do a firmware upgrade to both the 7E1 and 7N4 modules for TLA 5.1 to recognize them ??

Perhaps then the s/w will allow the server to run ?

On a positive note the TLA itself is clean, dust free, and comparatively quiet. Reading more info about the LA convinces me I made a good movie.

The more modern RIGOL MSO and USB LA offerings, are more compact, and have the protocol decoders installed etc, but, for me, they don't have the quality, or flexibility of either Tek or HP equipment.

Maybe, I am biassed. Scratch that, I AM biassed! I used to collect Tek 5000 and 7000 plugins. But, scopes and LA's from this era have a good place in the workshop.

It's just a shame that Tek has gone the way of many companies, with the engineers having succumbed to the corporate bean counters.

Keith

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 01:23:27 pm »
I'm not sure whether you can install version 5.1 over version 4.4 succesfully. You may need to re-install the OS as well. You also need to make sure version 5.1 recognizes your mainframe so you may need the hacked installer for the TAL714. Otherwise it will install the application as the PC offline version to open captures.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 03:48:22 am »
An update....

the modules wouldn't appear in the TLA s/w because of the upgrade.... If you don't upgrade the module firmware to the right revision they become invisible ( as someone previously said, but I didn't read, or remember, I forget LOL )

I decided NOT to upgrade the software to 5.1 for now because I bought a TLA 721 at an insane price.... The modules will transfer, and I have already upgraded the firmware. I have a spare hard disk and will be setting this up with Win XP SP 3 to enable me to use V5.8 / V 6 of the TLA s/w ( I hope ), without damaging the exisiting install.

I have also scored a TLA7AA4, and a P6860 probe, as well as some P6417 and P6418's too. The elastomer strips are missing on the P6860, but a kind member is offering some free for the cost of a USA stamp.

Also just need to find the thread with the mictor adapter info, and get a pcb adapter made .... fun fun for the weekend. As well as installing the protocol decoder ( SPI and I2C ) found on xdevs.com, and I think written by another member here ??

I'll update more over the weekend.

Keith

Offline Ordinaryman1971

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 05:32:44 am »
I know it's an old post but wanted to ask if anybody knows how to enable the PCMCI card reader on TLA721, I have one and wanted to use the wireless card or a lan card, but it looks like I can't get it to work. And I also have the Pattern Generator Tek/Sony TLA7PG2. I have one with memory depth of 256k and there is an upgrade to 1M.
Anybody possibly knows how to "tweak" it?
Anybody possibly have a image of drive with software installed for TLA704 or way of taking up on the challenge?
Is there a OS limitation on TLA704, would it work with Windows XP or do I have to get window 2000?
Any TLA721/704 guru out there willing to help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf