Author Topic: Fluke flash utilities for early Scopemeters  (Read 7008 times)

Offline marrobTopic starter

• Contributor
Fluke flash utilities for early Scopemeters
« on: November 23, 2020, 02:01:49 pm »
Over the last couple of weeks I've been bashing away at the serial ports on a couple of early Fluke Scopemeters until I eventually worked out how to save and load the flash contents. I've now written a few utility programs do make the process easier and I'm posting them here to save anyone else having to repeat the process.

I've tested them as best I can but there is obviously some risk of ending up with a non-working instrument once you've applied the 12V Vpp programming voltage so make sure you have a copy of the flash contents and calibration array before you do this. The risk is entirely your own!

The following users thanked this post: jellytot, TiN, harrimansat, lyonsk, shakalnokturn, Hobbybob

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke flash utilities for early Scopemeters
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 06:49:25 pm »
Awesome job, thanks, attached my 105 dump

The following users thanked this post: OH2LIY

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 08:09:19 pm »
Awesome job, thanks, attached my 105 dump

That file, which is a straight dump dump of the individual memory banks, won't work with the these programs as they use a single file with all the flash data in them. This file format also contains all the addresses, checksums and the code to write to the flash chips.

The following users thanked this post: harrimansat

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 08:22:55 am »
Straight dump using your program, FLUKE 105 V7.05
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 04:04:33 pm by harrimansat »

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 08:24:18 am »
Dump FLUKE 97 V4.05

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 09:30:59 am »
Well done for getting this working Kristoffer.

It makes sense that the non-working PM95 won't respond to flukesavecal because the main software needs to be running for that to work whereas flukev4dump just requires the kernel to be running.

I checked the dump from the non-working device and it's fine. I successfully loaded it into my PM97  which then temporarily became a PM95 with version 3.25 software, so whatever is wrong with your PM95 it's not the processor or the flash.

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 10:01:44 am »
I use hex edit to compare files. Edit, hex workshop
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:36:53 pm by harrimansat »

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 10:03:33 am »
https://accusrc.com/uploads/datasheets/5379_ScopeMeter%20IIB%20Series.pdf

Do you know if there is only one firmware for all?

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 10:46:46 am »
I suspect that there is just one firmware load for all scopes in the series, that is the case for the 93-97 range and if you look in the 96B code you can see the ID message "Scopemeter 10xB Series II". I suspect the 10x bit is overwritten by the actual hardware model. In the 93-97 case the model is determined by a byte at the start of the flash code so you would have to find and change that if you wanted to change the model.

There also may be hardware differences from the non-B models if that's what you were thinking.

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 07:32:39 pm »
do you know wich byte is?

• Contributor

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 08:41:18 pm »
So, flash type byte is within the calibration data?
I want to try the 96B II flash in my 105 non B
If the scope hangs, how can I enter in programming mode?
Thanks!

Offline lyonsk

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 05:57:55 pm »
Fluke 97 - serial no DM 547***

Offline lyonsk

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 06:03:11 pm »
Fluke 97 - serial no DM 6580***

Offline OH2LIY

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 03:03:09 pm »
Here is my Fluke 99 Series II v:6.35

C:\flukeflashutilities>flukesavecal.exe com1 cal.bin
Fluke Calibration Dump Utility MRV1.0
connecting to Scopemeter...
ScopeMeter 99 Series II; V6.35; 95-02-02; UHM V1.0
calibration size 420

C:\flukeflashutilities>flukeuhmdump.exe com1 flash.bin
Fluke UHM Flash Dump Utility MRV1.0
connecting to Scopemeter...
ScopeMeter 99 Series II; V6.35; 95-02-02; UHM V1.0
fe 0000 0072
ff 6000 0acf
00 0000 0118
00 0604 1938
00 1f40 60c0
01 0100 3f00
01 4000 4000
02 0000 4000
02 4000 4000
03 0000 4000
03 4000 4000
04 0000 4000
04 4000 4000
05 0000 4000
05 4000 4000
06 0000 4000
06 4000 4000
07 0000 4000
07 4000 4000
08 0000 4000
08 4000 4000
09 0000 4000
09 4000 4000
0a 0000 4000
0a 4000 4000
0b 0000 4000
0b 4000 4000
00 1f00 0040

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 09:58:38 am »
Fluke 105B series II v8.75 firmware and cal data

Offline mario_nks

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 06:49:09 am »
Fluke 92B Files

Mario

Offline GPappy

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 11:13:42 pm »
I have a 105B that has not been used for a couple of years and is unresponsive.  I checked the voltage and the wall wart is working, as is the battery pack.  When I was going through the service manual I found the following and since this is the symptoms I get I wanted to give it a try:

Kernel Test
Start with the Kernel Test if the test tool does not function at all (no display, no beep at power on).
With the Kernel Test the microprocessor and the transmitter/receiver circuit of the optical interface
can be tested.
NOTE: If loading the FlashROM fails, it is possible to get a ScopeMeter test tool which is not
functioning. For example: if the operating system is corrupted, it is not possible to operate the
test tool normally. In this case you can reload the operating software as follows:
- ground test point TP202, and turn on the test tool
- load the operating software into the FlashROMs. For this action you need special
software: contact your nearest Fluke Service Center.

- release the ground from TP202 and perform a MASTER RESET (hold down the F5 key
and turn the test tool on).

I contacted Fluke and they were not sure that the software was still available.  Would this utility reload the operating software?

Offline lyonsk

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2021, 08:21:25 pm »
I'm not sure what do you mean by unresponsive but if it is completely dead you might want to check CMOS chip that generates the standby power for the power button. Mine was dead.

Check this video of a guy having the same problem.

The following users thanked this post: GPappy

Offline GPappy

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 03:34:28 pm »
I'm not sure what do you mean by unresponsive but if it is completely dead you might want to check CMOS chip that generates the standby power for the power button. Mine was dead.

Check this video of a guy having the same problem.

Thank you, could be the same problem.  Unfortunately I don't have another scope to do the investigation with but I will see what I can find.  He has a nice lab to work in, been a long time since I had that level of equipment at my disposal.

Offline KRISTOFFER

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2022, 06:45:55 pm »
Don't know if any one is still interested in this one. But, just got hold of a working 99B Mark II 100 MHz model with a half dead LCD. I will be uploading the dumps from the flash memory when I retrieve them. I don't have the guts to do it but just a thought. I have a working 99B mk II 60 MHz model. Can I make it into a 100 MHz model with the dump from the 100 MHz scope, then put the original calibration constants back in.

The problem I have with the LCD of the 100 MHz one is that the replacement LCD I have is from the earlier models. When you fit it, you get a 'photo neative' display, ie all the black is clear and all the clear is black. Also the elastometers are a lot deeper to allow the cold cathode backlight to fit underneath. Not an easy job without getting another unit with a good LCD and making sure it is the newer version.

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2022, 07:22:06 pm »
Don't know if any one is still interested in this one. But, just got hold of a working 99B Mark II 100 MHz model with a half dead LCD. I will be uploading the dumps from the flash memory when I retrieve them. I don't have the guts to do it but just a thought. I have a working 99B mk II 60 MHz model. Can I make it into a 100 MHz model with the dump from the 100 MHz scope, then put the original calibration constants back in.

The problem I have with the LCD of the 100 MHz one is that the replacement LCD I have is from the earlier models. When you fit it, you get a 'photo neative' display, ie all the black is clear and all the clear is black. Also the elastometers are a lot deeper to allow the cold cathode backlight to fit underneath. Not an easy job without getting another unit with a good LCD and making sure it is the newer version.

I have two fluke 105, one B and other non B. Firmware from B works in non B, but display is in inverse, you can inverse it in setup. If you need it I have both firmwares.

Offline KRISTOFFER

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2022, 09:59:40 am »
That would be nice. I guess the difference with the B and non B is the LCD. I see the dumps in this thread. Just confirm which one is which. Forgive my stupidity but where does the setup come into play. I think I have two options now. 1. try and make the 96b into a 105B. 2. use your 105 dump for the 99B with the 99 LCD. Looks like the second option is the safest since if it all goes wrong I still have my 60 MHz scope to use and I can't say I did'nt try.

Since this thread is still getting some interest:- here is another fault.

The ones that appear to have nothing wrong with them but refuse to start up ? It's sometimes the PCB tracks. All I can think of is that the old NiCad batteries might have been gassing off back in the old days. And even worse, when they have leaked, started to under etch the tracks, even though they don't appear to be damaged. Continuity tests show nothing. But, at power up there is enough voltage drop to stop the instruments starting up. This might also explain the amount of units I have seen with multiple wire jumpers fitted across the boards that would appear to be in parallel with the original tracks.

Best of luck to everyone since Ebay in particular seems to have dried up with 'spares or repairs' Philips/Fluke older scopemeters.
Will still post the 99B II dumps when I dig my silly home made IR link out.

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2022, 10:41:57 am »
That would be nice. I guess the difference with the B and non B is the LCD. I see the dumps in this thread. Just confirm which one is which. Forgive my stupidity but where does the setup come into play. I think I have two options now. 1. try and make the 96b into a 105B. 2. use your 105 dump for the 99B with the 99 LCD. Looks like the second option is the safest since if it all goes wrong I still have my 60 MHz scope to use and I can't say I did'nt try.

Since this thread is still getting some interest:- here is another fault.

The ones that appear to have nothing wrong with them but refuse to start up ? It's sometimes the PCB tracks. All I can think of is that the old NiCad batteries might have been gassing off back in the old days. And even worse, when they have leaked, started to under etch the tracks, even though they don't appear to be damaged. Continuity tests show nothing. But, at power up there is enough voltage drop to stop the instruments starting up. This might also explain the amount of units I have seen with multiple wire jumpers fitted across the boards that would appear to be in parallel with the original tracks.

Best of luck to everyone since Ebay in particular seems to have dried up with 'spares or repairs' Philips/Fluke older scopemeters.
Will still post the 99B II dumps when I dig my silly home made IR link out.

user options/display mode:normal/reverse B version has a RTC, non B has printed circuit for this option but without components. B version has more record options for TRENDPLOT

Offline KRISTOFFER

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2022, 10:40:25 pm »
Big Big thank you for that. I have never had any reason to look at the display functions other than to alter the contrast. Hence I did not even realise that you can select between normal and reverse. I feel like an idiot now. Ok, that's me told off !  My next task will be to either source a new set of elastometers to raise the LCD high enouth to get the back light unit back in. Or, fit a new thinner reflective plastic sheet under the replacement LCD. ( I have a load of weird and wonderfull sheets of plastic film from the back light units of a couple of old TV's ). I can't use the original elastometers. The top of the original LCD has its connections on the bottom of the glass. (normal elastometer) The side connections are on the top of the glass. (elasmometers with a cross sectional conductive L shape).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf