Author Topic: FNIRSI-1013D "100MHz" tablet oscilloscope  (Read 409555 times)

Magua and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: FNIRSI-1013D "100MHz" tablet oscilloscope
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2020, 11:43:11 am »
Seriously , updates for a thing that was made like a toy with big hardware limitations ...

Sure, why not?

The following users thanked this post: iscle

Offline cliffyk

• Frequent Contributor
    • PaladinMicro
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2020, 10:24:21 pm »
I ordered one from amazon last evening--after reading through this entire thread--and as one poster said, $150 for a 2-channel 20 Mhz (maybe 40?) 7" touchscreen tablet scope isn't too bad. In looking at the signals I deal with (hobbyist electronics and automotive stuff) the 50 mv/div sensitivity is not really an issue.

After my experiences with the FNIRSI-5012H I did not expect it would/could meet the 100 MHz and 1Gs/s specs--too bad they have to just outright lie about these things, they'd get a lot more respect if they published the real specs.

I hope it triggers reasonably well on aperiodic bursts (which modern automobile control systems produce mostly), that was my deal breaker with the 5012, will get this one going back to Amazon as well.
-cliff knight-

paladinmicro.com

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2020, 10:57:07 pm »
In looking at the signals I deal with (hobbyist electronics and automotive stuff) the 50 mv/div sensitivity is not really an issue.
It's marginal though when using a 10x probe as we do for most stuff.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline cliffyk

• Frequent Contributor
    • PaladinMicro
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2020, 11:21:11 pm »
In looking at the signals I deal with (hobbyist electronics and automotive stuff) the 50 mv/div sensitivity is not really an issue.

That is so...

We shall see, the good news is that if it is not a useful tool for any reason (even if the novelty wears off and it's no longer "fun") it can go back to Amazon within 30 days--for the simple and indisputable fact that it does not meet the published specs....
-cliff knight-

paladinmicro.com

Offline cliffyk

• Frequent Contributor
    • PaladinMicro
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2020, 01:07:19 am »
Don't know if anyone is interested, however in digging around the web early this morning I did find a PDF file of the 1013-D User Manual (47.5 MB)--for what it's worth...

I love the "Solemn reminder" section, lead me to wonder if the fellow above who tested the rise time used the 10X mode?
-cliff knight-

paladinmicro.com

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2020, 01:22:54 am »

That is so...

We shall see, the good news is that if it is not a useful tool for any reason (even if the novelty wears off and it's no longer "fun") it can go back to Amazon within 30 days--for the simple and indisputable fact that it does not meet the published specs....

That's like sending a 100MHz scope back to Amazon because it can't measure 500MHz properly. I just bought one of these scopes and whilst it's not perfect I do find that I use it when the other scopes are tied up. Because it is portable and easy on the battery it is a great portable scope I can throw in the car anytime. Much cheaper than buying a battery for the TDS3000 ;) Hopefully they will offer some firmware upgrades and allow the auto triggering level detection to be switched on or off. Like Dave said it is essentially,limited to 20MHz but that is fine with me for a general purpose portable scope for measuring audio and power stuff ;)

cheers

Offline cliffyk

• Frequent Contributor
    • PaladinMicro
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2020, 01:33:29 am »

That is so...

That's like sending a 100MHz scope back to Amazon because it can't measure 500MHz properly. I just bought one of these scopes and whilst it's not perfect I do find that I use it when the other scopes are tied up. Because it is portable and easy on the battery it is a great portable scope I can throw in the car anytime. Much cheaper than buying a battery for the TDS3000 ;) Hopefully they will offer some firmware upgrades and allow the auto triggering level detection to be switched on or off. Like Dave said it is essentially,limited to 20MHz but that is fine with me for a general purpose portable scope for measuring audio and power stuff ;)

cheers

Not at all; it would be sending back an oscilloscope claimed (by the vendor via Amazon) to have a 100 MHz bandwidth, 1 Gs/s sample rate and <3 ns risetime:

that does not...
-cliff knight-

paladinmicro.com

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2020, 01:51:16 am »

That is so...

That's like sending a 100MHz scope back to Amazon because it can't measure 500MHz properly.
Nope, 500mV/div max sensitivity using a 10x probe is just inadequate for many requirements.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline cliffyk

• Frequent Contributor
    • PaladinMicro
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2020, 02:06:45 am »
Nope, 500mV/div max sensitivity using a 10x probe is just inadequate for many requirements.

However for the remainder it is not, for example it would be entirely adequate for displaying the primary waveform of a contemporary "coil-on-plug" automotive ignition system:

this is the "triple-strike" firing pattern used on many modern cars at idle and lowish RPMs to ensure a clean burn

Or the PWM signal at an idle air control:

-cliff knight-

paladinmicro.com

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2020, 10:02:50 am »
I just bought one too  :palm:

Even with all the lies, bugs and limitations, I find the concept to be excellent.
I sometimes need to "see something" in hard to reach places or when I am not in the lab.
When we just need to see if the clock signal is here or if we have our RS422 pairs at the right place, no need for the big 5000€ scope balanced on the crimping pliers.

The fact that we can increase the battery capacity is great, the big 7" screen is also great, no fan. I hesitated with a handled oscilloscope but I find them very expensive.
If I like the concept, I think it will lead me to buy a Micsig tablet oscilloscope but the small form factor of this little Fnirsi is very very nice.

If they make their code open source, they can sell millions, I think.
It need a small silicone protection and a more expensive 50 € model with real 500 MSa/s

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2020, 10:22:00 am »

That is so...

cheers

Not at all; it would be sending back an oscilloscope claimed (by the vendor via Amazon) to have a 100 MHz bandwidth, 1 Gs/s sample rate and <3 ns risetime:

that does not...

OK from here on and based on Dave's review you can assume it is a 20 MHz scope. Still a very useful portable battery operated dual channel scope for $140 IMHO ;)

cheers
david

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2020, 10:24:30 am »
If they make their code open source...

If only...

It need a small silicone protection and a more expensive 50 € model with real 500 MSa/s

I'm thinking the next generation of these could be awesome.

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2020, 10:29:32 am »

That is so...

That's like sending a 100MHz scope back to Amazon because it can't measure 500MHz properly.

OK what has siglent got to offer with battery operated, dual channel, 7 inch 800x480 full color touch sensitive display etc ?? And not some iddy biddy 3 inch QVGA BS either !!

What you got ??

cheers
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:35:35 am by snoopy »

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2020, 10:32:01 am »
If they make their code open source...

If only...

I'm thinking the next generation of these could be awesome.

If the improvement over the original bar of soap scope is anything to go by then the next model could be a very serious proposition and this company whoever they may be could become a serious contender in the portable scope market ;)

cheers
david

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2020, 10:38:30 am »
I just bought one too  :palm:

Even with all the lies, bugs and limitations, I find the concept to be excellent.
I sometimes need to "see something" in hard to reach places or when I am not in the lab.
When we just need to see if the clock signal is here or if we have our RS422 pairs at the right place, no need for the big 5000€ scope balanced on the crimping pliers.

The fact that we can increase the battery capacity is great, the big 7" screen is also great, no fan. I hesitated with a handled oscilloscope but I find them very expensive.
If I like the concept, I think it will lead me to buy a Micsig tablet oscilloscope but the small form factor of this little Fnirsi is very very nice.

If they make their code open source, they can sell millions, I think.

Also what a lot of others have overlooked with this scope is that because it is battery operated you can float the measurements above ground although I wouldn't recommend this when measuring mains equipment for safety reasons !!

cheers
david

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2020, 10:49:29 am »
If the improvement over the original bar of soap scope is anything to go by then the next model could be a very serious proposition and this company whoever they may be could become a serious contender in the portable scope market ;)

The only reason I haven't bought one of these is that if I sell my Rigol DS1054Z and add $140 to the result (the cost of one of these) I'm in Micsig territory. A Micsig would make a lot more sense.

Plus Micsigs have a 4-channel option and I want 4-channel capability somewhere.

(OTOH I've got an Analog Discovery 2 on order so the 4-channel requirement might disappear when that arrives)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:54:56 am by Fungus »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2020, 11:14:02 am »

That is so...

OK what has siglent got to offer with battery operated, dual channel, 7 inch 800x480 full color touch sensitive display etc ?? And not some iddy biddy 3 inch QVGA BS either !!

What you got ??

cheers
5.7" display and BW's to 200 MHz and some with 1000V CAT II isolation between channels, all 5 mV sensitivity AND a datasheet that can be trusted !

Nothing flash at all but they work as per their spec.

And you don't think 50 mV max sensitivity is piss poor ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2020, 11:50:07 am »
OK what has siglent got to offer with battery operated, dual channel, 7 inch 800x480 full color touch sensitive display etc ??
5.7" display and BW's to 200 MHz and some with 1000V CAT II isolation between channels, all 5 mV sensitivity AND a datasheet that can be trusted !

Just not battery operated or with 7 inch touch display.

Do you even bother reading the posts before replying?  :palm:

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2020, 12:04:57 pm »
Siglent SHS800 are battery powered.
This is the first model I looked at when I wanted a portable oscilloscope. But it is too big to be operated by hand, and too expensive as a "small portable bench scope".
The Micsig seems very interesting but too advanced for what I wanted to do.
There is also the Hantek 2C72 but the FNIRSI does just the right thing, 2 channels, large screen and large battery.

This thing cannot and should not be compared to the Siglent or Micsig offer.
And cannot and should not be used as a real scope or to replace a real oscilloscope.
It's just a cheap portable tool that allows you to take measurements very usefull in certain situations.

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2020, 12:21:35 pm »

That is so...

What you got ??

cheers

Nothing flash at all but they work as per their spec.

And you don't think 50 mV max sensitivity is piss poor ?  :-//

How much ??

cheers

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2020, 12:29:35 pm »
Siglent SHS800 are battery powered.
This is the first model I looked at when I wanted a portable oscilloscope. But it is too big to be operated by hand, and too expensive as a "small portable bench scope".
The Micsig seems very interesting but too advanced for what I wanted to do.
There is also the Hantek 2C72 but the FNIRSI does just the right thing, 2 channels, large screen and large battery.

This thing cannot and should not be compared to the Siglent or Micsig offer.
And cannot and should not be used as a real scope or to replace a real oscilloscope.
It's just a cheap portable tool that allows you to take measurements very usefull in certain situations.

Yes and it's a hell of lot better than having no scope at all !!

For some time I have been looking for a Tek THS7xx scope at a reasonable price. Only monochrome and QVA but have proper isolation between channels but only 30k record depth :( The Tek THS3000 are way to exe but offer 4 channels and full color but still QVGA and 30k record depth. Or the Keysight U1620 which has 2M point record depth going for around $1000 USD if you are lucky to get all of the accessories. However this scope will do me for a while ;) Hopefully we should see some firmware upgrades if people would stop bagging the crap out of it all of the time and instead offer some constructive criticism :(

cheers
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 12:33:52 pm by snoopy »

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2020, 12:32:23 pm »

The only reason I haven't bought one of these is that if I sell my Rigol DS1054Z and add $140 to the result (the cost of one of these) I'm in Micsig territory. A Micsig would make a lot more sense.

Plus Micsigs have a 4-channel option and I want 4-channel capability somewhere.

(OTOH I've got an Analog Discovery 2 on order so the 4-channel requirement might disappear when that arrives)

I have a 1054z tied up doing I2C decoding so this scope becomes useful for the other measurements when I don't want to boot up the Tek TDS7054 all of the time !

cheers
david

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2020, 12:37:46 pm »
I have a 1054z tied up doing I2C decoding so this scope becomes useful for the other measurements when I don't want to boot up the Tek TDS7054 all of the time !

I'm hoping the AD2 can take over the decoding duties.

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2020, 01:03:02 pm »
Yes it does and in real time  :)

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2020, 01:23:32 pm »
Hey, I just worked out how to turn off the auto triggering level. It's in the system menu  |O This scope just got a lot better  :-+

cheers
david

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf