Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes  (Read 926763 times)

Offline Jaz

Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Reply #2850 on: Yesterday at 03:32:47 pm »
I confirm, rigol_kg2.py script works well.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:34:43 pm by Jaz »

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2851 on: Yesterday at 06:04:33 pm »
Is the Version 01.03.02.02 that was used sucessful available somewhere to download?

@BTO, if you have the 01.03.02.02, could you provide that on your Mega drive please?

Thanks a lot, Seppeltronics

Hi mate,

GOOD NEWS.   I GOT IT TO WORK

I can see why people are tripping up on this .
and thanks again to Dr Mefisto, He is correct it's an Automated script

HOWEVER THERE ARE SOME HURDLES YOU NEED TO GET PAST, But.. it's not that hard
and i'm happy to help anyone who needs the help
if you haven't already upgraded and licenced correctly, i'm happy to help you do this

I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING A VIDEO THAT WILL EXPLAIN IT STEP BY STEP

also.. HUGE THANKS TO SMAS  for laying out clear information

Anyway.. Let's wait for the video and i'm sure we'll all be downgrading to 1.3.2.2
then licencing correctly
then upgrading with all options to 1.3.3.0

Meaning, No need to worry about Future upgrades and patching.
VERY COOL STUFF

I'M HAPPY TO HELP ANYONE VIA ZOOM OR REMOTELY IF THEY WANT THIS DONE....... NO PROBLEM, JUST REACH OUT TO ME AND WE'LL MAKE A TIME
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2852 on: Yesterday at 06:06:30 pm »

Me too
I have included all the files necessary for anyone, at this link
https://mega.nz/folder/A8cEgQRI#5FSoMrCurJi71T7VkRPgYQ
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2853 on: Yesterday at 06:35:29 pm »
@drMefisto
See the Attachments...
I've noticed after upgrading with your script that 2 items are missing

In MEASURE / ANALYZE
The following selections were available when the scope was stock and when the patch was applied
- Counter
- DVM
- Power Analyzer
- Histogram
- Zone Trigger
- Eye Analysis
- Jitter

After downgrading to 1.3.2.2
Then applying your script (Version 2)
then upgrading again to 1.3.3.0

- Eye Analysis
- Jitter
Are no longer in the list

THOUGHTS....... ?
is this something that needs to be switched on or was an oversight ?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2854 on: Today at 02:15:13 am »

Hey mate, can you check something for me .
in MEASURE / ANALYZE
at the bottom do you have
Eye Analysis
Jitter
?
I don't have them, just want to know if the result is the same.  I've checked and have discovered that Eye Analysis is an available
option in the MSO5000
I'm also gonna have a look over the script and see if perhaps these options were accidentally missed by DrMefisto when writing the script
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #2855 on: Today at 11:59:23 am »
@BTO - a few points

The thing about the python script method is that it requires additional IT knowledge of setting up a python environment and a network connection.  Not everyone with a scope has this knowledge, so it is great that you are offering the one-on-one assistance as this is where I think people will become unstuck for a process they will likely only ever do once.

I also have some hesitations with the direct FRAM data modification.  While DrMefistO may have reverse engineered the data format for the licensing, there is always the possibility of something being incorrect and causing weird problems or worst case even bricking the scope.  This is why I believe tv84 was suggesting trying to find a hidden SCPI command to do a similar thing.

Regarding Restore Defaults in the Pre Boot Menu, I believe this is a pretty important step when downgrading firmware as the stored settings are not necessarily backwards compatible and could cause weird behaviour.  In my case it even seemed to be the cause a lockup on reboot until I did this.  It may also be worth using this following an upgrade if there are some unexplained issues.

Regarding the Jitter and Eye Analysis, these are not supported options on the MSO5000 platform.  I believe they are supported on the DS/MSO7000 which shares a similar architecture and common firmware, but has extra processing power.  By all means the options can be enabled, but that doesn't mean they will be useful.  I recall there was some discussion of this in a much earlier part of the thread which you might find with some searches.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2856 on: Today at 12:50:01 pm »
@BTO - a few points

The thing about the python script method is that it requires additional IT knowledge of setting up a python environment and a network connection.  Not everyone with a scope has this knowledge, so it is great that you are offering the one-on-one assistance as this is where I think people will become unstuck for a process they will likely only ever do once.

I also have some hesitations with the direct FRAM data modification.  While DrMefistO may have reverse engineered the data format for the licensing, there is always the possibility of something being incorrect and causing weird problems or worst case even bricking the scope.  This is why I believe tv84 was suggesting trying to find a hidden SCPI command to do a similar thing.

Regarding Restore Defaults in the Pre Boot Menu, I believe this is a pretty important step when downgrading firmware as the stored settings are not necessarily backwards compatible and could cause weird behaviour.  In my case it even seemed to be the cause a lockup on reboot until I did this.  It may also be worth using this following an upgrade if there are some unexplained issues.

Regarding the Jitter and Eye Analysis, these are not supported options on the MSO5000 platform.  I believe they are supported on the DS/MSO7000 which shares a similar architecture and common firmware, but has extra processing power.  By all means the options can be enabled, but that doesn't mean they will be useful.  I recall there was some discussion of this in a much earlier part of the thread which you might find with some searches.

Hi mate, How are you .
The thing about the python script method is that it requires additional IT knowledge of setting up a python environment and a network connection.  Not everyone with a scope has this knowledge,
hehe, INDEED IT DOES, and even then you'd get stuck.
My goal was to figure out why people were not having a high rate of success with Dr Mefisto's method.
the other thing that didn't make sense was... He seems like a very knowledgeable and capable guy so why would it have such a low success rate ?
Now i know..   Most people doing this have little to no clue about python programming and don't understand the dangers and risks of flashing EEPROMS and RAMS.  so that's that question answered.  it had nothing to do with Dr Mefisto, it has to do with the inexperience of the people
attempting this method.

NO WORRIES, THAT CAN BE RECTIFIED

so it is great that you are offering the one-on-one assistance as this is where I think people will become unstuck for a process they will likely only ever do once.

Yeah, I'm pretty much of that opinion now, The solution absolutely works, and i've even stress tested it (so to speak ) and pushed my luck and found out the following

- If you are on version 1.3.0.3 
You can upgrade to 1.3.2.2  or directly to 1.3.3.0

- If your scope is on 1.3.3.0 (Current Version) You can't downgrade via the Upgrade Utility in the O/S , However you can absolutely
downgrade to 1.3.2.2 via the Pre Boot Menu

- You can even downgrade to 1.3.0.3 DIRECTLY from 1.3.3.0  if you wish
i did this back and forward of upgrade and downgrading like 4 times or so

- Now.. From the patched version 1.3.3.0 ,
If you downgrade to either 1.3.2.2  or 1.3.0.3  YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR OPTIONS  (This has the benefit of not having to uninstall them :P)

If you downgrade from 1.3.3.0 to 1.3.2.2 and fail with dr Mefisto's method, You can always upgrade up again and patch it again, no problem,
Did this around 7 times, no problem

- Quick note on VNC VIEWER,
Version 1.3.0.3 HAS NO SUPPORT FOR VNC    (i was making a video, which will shortly be available, and i had VNC up on screen,
i downgraded to 1.3.0.3 , restarted the scope and reconnected VNC and it was like.....WHAAATT ??  LOL and then it hits me.. Oh, i'm an idiot. :P

But support is definitely available from 1.3.2.2 for VNC Remote viewing

THIS ONE WAS COOL
- Downgraded from 1.3.3.0  to 1.3.2.2
- then applied Dr Mefisto's Licensing method - All good
- Then upgraded to 1.3.3.0   ALL OPTIONS SURVIVED THE UPGRADE
then just for kicks... Downgraded direct to 1.3.0.3  :P   ,  Go figure, ALL OPTIONS WERE PRESERVED AND SURVIVED THE DOWNGRADE

I have no question that when we get everyone through this process that No one will be using the patch method anymore
and no one will have issues in the future and we'll be free to just update the scope by official download from the Rigol Site.

I NOTICED 2 THINGS THOUGH
In Analyze
JITTER IS MISSING,
EYE ANALYSIS IS MISSING
Now i don't have a clear answer on this yet, but
1. it was working in the patch version
2. Looking at the manual of the MSO500 there is no mention of Eye Analysis, Nor in the MSO7000, it's not until you get to MSO8000 that
eye analysis is mentioned both in the manual and in the features.

Now, i know we can do eye analysis in different ways on the scope, so now i ask myself this question
WHAT EXACTLY WAS THE PURPOSE OF THE EYE ANALYSIS MENU in the MSO8000 ?   If you can do it anyway, what benefit do you have to have the menu option ?

Anywhoo, I was going to share the above results in a separate post, I may as well include them here for everyone to see
so
Upgrade and downgrade is absolutely possible
Dr Mefisto's Method does work   YOU JUST NEED TO KNOW HOW TO DO IT ?

As for helping people, Yeah sure, no worries, Let's get them over the line. I'm in the process of editing a video
and i'll advise when it's ready. so they'll either do it via video or Me helping them one on one and if anyone else wants to help, that'd be awesome.

- I wouldn't worry mate, I've looked through the python script, there's doesn't really seem to be anything bad there.
It's just basically getting python to access the FRAM and then (as Dr Mefisto Said) it's just
1. Checking for installed Options
2. Checking for Available Options
3. Checking for Unavailable Options
then
4. Getting Available and uninstalled Options
5. Then Installing them
it's really pretty straight forward

As for Bricking the scope.
 You won't have a problem  ON THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS
1. DO NOW ALLOW YOUR SCOPE OR COMPUTER TO LOSE POWER DURING THE PROCESS
2. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW THE ETHERNET CABLES TO BE DISCONNECTED
3. THE ROUTER MUST NOT LOSE POWER OR CONNECTION UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
if those conditions are met you won't have a problem and you won't brick the scope, Merely writing to the FRAM is not going to do anything
as that is the job of the FRAM (or.. one of it's jobs)

I've flashed a lot of chips and micro's in my time, I have absolutely no reservation about this method, Given what i did do it in the last
24 hours or more, mate, if it was going to fail it would have .

", there is always the possibility of something being incorrect and causing weird problems "
I call this Paranoia   LOL
it's the same reason why people upgrade once then are scared shitless to downgrade or change anything.
We need to abolish paranoia and apply logic to the problem.    Trust me , it's fine

as for TV84's suggestion...
Sure, bring it on, Let's see which method is better.  Although seriously i reckon we already have a working method
but hey, i'm open to the SCPI method, there is also an SSH Option in the script (-s) which i found i didn't have to use.

Regarding Restore Defaults in the Pre Boot Menu, I believe this is a pretty important step when downgrading firmware as the stored settings are not necessarily backwards compatible and could cause weird behaviour.

- After my testing, i disagree (i was off that opinion 2 days ago as well, I'm off a new opinion now)
2 Points of proof
PROOF 1 - Over 10 times i downgraded the scope without using RESTORE DEFAULTS, it didn't affect it.
In saying that,  I am still advocating (to be on the safe side) i mean, it's just another step, That we do it anyway.  But i have not seen
a reason why it's necessary.
there were concerns of "The Screen Hanging" , I can see where that happened and i can see why  and ... the screen didn't hang.
there are 2 scenarios
1. is , You had to wait for the scope to reboot
2. is the screen goes black and you had to press the power button to restart,
I chalk it up to misunderstanding, but i'm happy to stick to the method where we restore defaults

- KEEP IN MIND, Restoring defaults DOES NOT uninstall those options that you said may be incompatible, it just resets the settings of the scope.

PROOF 2 - With everything upgraded and licensed,  I downgraded to 1.3.0.3
All Options were retained and there were no issues or conflicts.
I wouldn't worry about it,  I did this several times
In my case it even seemed to be the cause a lockup on reboot until I did this.  It may also be worth using this following an upgrade if there are some unexplained issues.

well, i reckon
1. we should keep the RESTORE DEFAULTS procedure in place if for nothing else other than good measure.
2. After the upgrade it's not necessary , Because you've already done it,
3. Although Self Check and Self Cal ARE A MUST !

Regarding the Jitter and Eye Analysis, these are not supported options on the MSO5000 platform.  I believe they are supported on the DS/MSO7000 which shares a similar architecture and common firmware,

This is what i suspect, about the MSO500, However it's also NOT supported on the MSO7000, it starts to be supported on the MSO8000.

so all that being the case, LET'S GET EVERYONE PUSHED THROUGH AND LICENSED CORRECTLY
if you haven't got it done, Let me know, i'll help you out
« Last Edit: Today at 01:09:45 pm by BTO »
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf