Author Topic: FNIRSI-1013D "100MHz" tablet oscilloscope  (Read 379455 times)

tokar, UniSoft, engineer.r152 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
Re: FNIRSI-1013D "100MHz" tablet oscilloscope
« Reply #1300 on: January 15, 2022, 02:50:08 pm »
Well here it is. A new test version. Since Alex62 already tried the V0.001 version I made it V0.002.

The item view part is finished and tested to some extend. Both picture and waveform viewing is working. Did not test the picture file on a windows os, but it does work on linux. It no longer has the signal data embedded. It is just a picture. The waveform file format has been simplified and only holds the needed settings and the raw sample data.

Look in the source code to see what data is where in the waveform files. It is in the scope_functions.c file.

Check these functions:
Code: [Select]
void scope_prepare_setup_for_file(void);
void scope_restore_setup_from_file(void);
int32 scope_check_waveform_file(void);

void scope_save_view_item_file(int32 type);
int32 scope_load_trace_data(void);

The X-Y mode is also working with the new sample capturing.
Auto set is working reasonably well. Only when large DC components are in the signal it will screw up. (With the fix from the previous post. Just in time :))
50% trigger is also working, but the always setting needs a filter. The pointer on the right side of the screen is jumpy.
It is now possible to do vertical zoom when sampling has been stopped. This is also the case when viewing a waveform file.
Made most of the buttons be actual buttons with changing background color when touched. Also changed the voltage per division menu to show the channel color.
Triggering is more stable, but still has the position offset Alex62 pointed out.

I changed the settings data stored on the SD card. It now has a version number and a checksum. On failure it loads a default setup. This means that after installing this version a baseline calibration needs to be done.

Even though it is not finished, I'm going to take a break of the software and play with hardware. Bought a Dake Elec FA201 board to play with. Have to hook it up to a lichee nano and wire-up a jtag board like morris6 made.

So have fun with this test release.

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1301 on: January 15, 2022, 02:58:50 pm »
While doing so I found a small bug: if channel 1 is turned off, then the AUTO-SET function does not work.
And because of my poking I also found the solution: it can easily be corrected by just changing a '1' to a '2' in 8th line in the function scope_do_auto_setup() in scope_functions.c ...

I also guess how that happened - I only say: copy line...

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

you are welcome, and thank you for finding the bug. It is one of these things I tend to have more of now a days, as you can read in this thread. (Copy, paste, not edit |O)

It was just in time. Already wrote my previous post with a buggy version attached, but got a warning an other post was made in the mean time ^-^

Enjoy this new version and see if you can find more errors.

Cheers,
Peter

Offline JimBeam

• Contributor
« Reply #1302 on: January 15, 2022, 04:15:55 pm »
Thanks Peter,

I will definitely enjoy the new version. Would you mind uploading the latest changes to the git?

Andreas

Offline RolfNoot

• Contributor
  • Mixing signals with fun!
« Reply #1303 on: January 15, 2022, 04:34:01 pm »
Just had a little hassle with setting up the sdcard. Turned out the card in the scope was formatted with FAT16 (1GB). I had another card laying around so I decided to use that one and keep the original untouched. I made use of a USB cardreader to format the card.

As I am using a MAC, I tried to format with MAC Disk Utility which didn't work. Then I tried DiskGenius on my Windows VM and I was able to make a partition as required (Beginning Sector 2048, see attachment).

Next I followed the steps 11..17 to install the firmware bootloader https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fnirsi-1013d-100mhz-tablet-oscilloscope/msg3807689/#msg3807689

The (un)mounting process is a bit different for MAC Terminal. First I needed to check which device the card is on (check using Disk Utility or the following Terminal command):
"diskutil list external physical" (turned out mine was on /dev/disk8)
then
"diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk8"
and using the dd command on MAC Terminal just as on Linux:
"sudo dd if=/location_of/fnirsi_1013d_fwb.bin of=/dev/disk7 bs=1024 seek=8"

Next the bootloader showed up and I was able to upgrade!

The first impression is that it looks much better, no weird slow refresh rates and an extensive ACQ setup menu. Super, thanks so much!!  :-+

Rolf
PSoC Rocks!

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1304 on: January 15, 2022, 05:27:28 pm »
The new repository is created and loaded with the latest version.

https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI_1013D_Firmware

There is a read me with what is needed.

I added the bare SD boot loader with which the firmware can be loaded without the startup screen. Makes it a little bit faster. I have not tested it, and it is not in the make file of the scope firmware. So if you want to use it you have to do some fiddling.

The three project option is in the make file, and the already build binaries are in the dist folders.

To rebuild things it has to be done in the given project list order.

That is it for now.

Offline tunk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1305 on: January 15, 2022, 06:15:55 pm »
The new repository is created and loaded with the latest version.
Maybe you could add a Signature in your Forum Profile with this info?
Keep up the good work!

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline morris6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1306 on: January 18, 2022, 08:24:08 pm »
For those forum members working (fighting) with the Anlogic TD-IDE to get access to the al3a10 FPGA:

The name of the license file I linked to earlier is Anlogic_20220130.lic. This name suggests a limited validity up to the 30th of Januari. Looking around in the Sipeed.com download area I found another license file Anlogic_20220703.lic. Maybe this one is valid somewhat longer. Again, rename this file to Anlogic.lic and move it to the lic folder of your TD-IDE environment. It works for me.

Anlogic.com also has a support area with downloads. (Google translate) The registration form however is an obstacle, it looks like they are asking a Chinese telephone number to register....? So for now, big thanks to the firm of Sipeed for providing support to 'bloody foreigners'.

For your convenience find the license file attached here, the .txt extension added because forum rule.

The following users thanked this post: JimBeam, frenky, pcprogrammer

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1307 on: January 19, 2022, 12:09:23 pm »
My board for playing with the Anlogic FPGA is taking shape.

Had to get the schematics of the FA201 board at first, so left a message in the shop I bought it from, but in the mean time started to reverse engineer it. I did get the original schematic when I was almost finished with my version. I have attached them both.

Made a symbol and footprint for this module in EasyEda and also a project for the test board. I find it easier to solder a test board by looking at a graphical representation of the connections then working from a net list.

The board can accommodate an AD9226 ADC and an AN9767 DAC module which I both bought on Aliexpress.

Next up is soldering al the needed wires. That will take a bit of time. Also have to make the JTAG programmer morris6 wrote about earlier and a board for interfacing the Lichee Nano 40 pin LCD connector with the 50 pin LCD panels I have. The LCD panel needs extra voltages like in the scope itself. The test board also has a connection for a touch panel, so when finished I can reuse parts of the firmware code.

One can say that the last year was a big prelude to this kind of projects, but still a lot of learning to do on FPGA design.

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1308 on: January 19, 2022, 07:59:59 pm »
I build the Anlogic JTAG programmer based on morris6 his schematic and at first I had the Tang Dynasty application fail with a segmentation fault every time I tried to scan for a device. Turns out it needs the proper permissions for the USB device.

To test it I ran the application with sudo and with the wanted result. It is able to read the FPGA identifier without crashing. This means I have to setup a dev-rule for it. (I'm using Linux Mint)

The USB device lists itself as: 0547:1002 Anchor Chips, Inc. Python2 WDM Encoder

Attached some pictures of the module I made for it.

Edit: I attached the udev rules file I made. After placing it in etc/udev/rules.d a logout and login is needed to enable it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:11:50 pm by pcprogrammer »

The following users thanked this post: frenky, serverror

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1309 on: January 21, 2022, 07:40:14 pm »
Soldering these test boards is a lot of work.

Yesterday I did the power connections on the main board and started with the design of the LCD connection board. A bit of focus was needed there, since with these adapter boards for converting 0.5mm FPC to 2.54mm headers the pins are swapped. 1 becomes 2 and 2 becomes 1, etc.

Last year I already ordered a lot of the needed stuff from aliexpress, including a step up converter with plus and minus 15V output. This because the LCD needs about -6V on one of its pins and 15V and 10V on other pins. Used what I had lying around zener diode wise to make the lower voltages, more or less like what is in the FNIRSI-1013D.

It looks like it is working, but did not get actual intelligent output on the display. When I turn on the Lichee nano with what is in the flash I get a white screen, that turns off an on again at some point and then stays white. Tried a SD card with my scope firmware, but that just results in a black screen. So it needs some investigation. I tried the display in the scope itself and it still works, so that is a plus.

Also need to power the board from a proper 5V supply. The 5V coming from the Lichee nano, at least with the cable I'm using, is only 4.7V. This has some effect on the 15V and 10V output. The measured voltages are ~0.6V lower than in the scope. I'm not sure if this is a problem for the LCD.

Hope to finish the other soldering tomorrow, but this means soldering about 80 lacquered copper wires, which is quite a bit of strain on both the back and the eyes.

Edit: The problem lies in the brightness control on the Lichee nano. Port pin PE6 is used to control the brightness, and in the scope firmware this pin is used in communication with the FPGA. Come to think of it, the scope code checks on the FPGA returning a valid response, which it does not get, so it will not start any way. This means I have to create another project to run on the Lichee nano.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 08:17:27 pm by pcprogrammer »

The following users thanked this post: luma, Eltax1693

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1310 on: January 22, 2022, 02:04:11 pm »
It took quite a bit of tinkering to get the display to work.

First I had to make a startup with fel for the lichee nano. A copy of the one for the scope without the FPGA and loading of the flash "FNIRSI" startup image code. Then I made a copy of my new startup screen also without the FPGA code. When loaded onto the lichee nano I could see that the display became a bit more white, but it did not show the startup screen.

So I got the Rigol out of the cupboard and started to measure the signals. All the dynamic signals looked good. Clock, sync and enable signals. Measured the signals on the actual 0.5mm FPC connector to make sure they were on the correct pins. I then turned to the passive signals and noticed that the derived voltages were to low. Opposed to the scope I changed the circuit to have the zeners in the "normal" position with a series resistor to drop the voltage over. Turns out the LCD draws more current then I expected. (I don't have a datasheet of this LCD panel) Without the load the voltages were as intended. Modified the board to mimic what is in the scope and now it works.

Finally I can move on to the soldering of the other board :)

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1311 on: January 23, 2022, 06:42:23 pm »
Since I'm in favor of sharing my work I created a new repository for the Lichee Nano projects.

https://github.com/pecostm32/Lichee_Nano

It holds both hardware and software. A lot of the FNIRSI code is reused, but on the Lichee Nano - Dake Elec FA201 board I had to skip a couple of port E pins since they are used for controlling things on the Lichee Nano board itself. So for this I had to change the fpga_control.h file. Also had to remove a useless ic on the Lichee Nano. The resistive touch panel controller that sits on the underside of the board, but is missing on the schematics I have. It is I2C and was connected to pins PE11 and PE12.

For testing the stuff morris6 is doing I made a simple CH340 emulator that allows sending simple commands via a terminal. These commands control the communication with the FPGA. Had to make an adapted version for the Lichee Nano, and I'm pleased to say it works.

After already a year of tinkering with the FNIRSI-1013D it is nice to play with other stuff for a while, even if it serves the same purpose. Getting an improved scope.

And by the looks of things it seems I did a good job on the new firmware so far. No complaints yet. :-DD

Offline Mark963

« Reply #1312 on: January 24, 2022, 10:54:52 pm »
I'm afraid I'm kind of an old fart trying to figure out how to load any of this firmware. I saw comments about it only being for 8GB cards. I opened mine up and found it has a 1GB micro sd card. I have other 4, 8 and 16GB cards. Is there some way to use one of them to update the scope?

Thank you.

Offline TiredOldDad

« Reply #1313 on: January 25, 2022, 02:26:43 am »
Hi, new here. I was looking for info about this oscilloscope which I plan to buy for checking stuff around the house (utility power, UPS, and portable generator outputs, etc.) My search took me to this forum and I'm glad it did.

I've started reading through a few pages but I've hardly scratched the surface as the information is overwhelming. Is there like a Wiki for this instrument where information about things like usage, capabilities, limitations, hacks, etc. are structured?

Thanks!

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1314 on: January 25, 2022, 05:49:06 am »
I'm afraid I'm kind of an old fart trying to figure out how to load any of this firmware. I saw comments about it only being for 8GB cards. I opened mine up and found it has a 1GB micro sd card. I have other 4, 8 and 16GB cards. Is there some way to use one of them to update the scope?

Thank you.

Hi Mark963, welcome to the forum.

To try the new firmware all that needs to be done is load it on a SD card. The only constraint is that the card needs to be partitioned correctly.
I only tested it with FAT32 formatted cards, but it will most likely also work with FAT16. The firmware needs some free space at the beginning of the card. 1MB is sufficient.
So partition a card with a single FAT32 partition that starts on sector 2048.

This is described in the readme file in the repository https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI_1013D_Firmware

The scope can be used to act as a card reader/writer to do the work, but a dedicated card reader/writer can also be used.

Once the card is written with the firmware the scope should start with it.

Having it on a separate SD card makes it easier to switch between the original and the new firmware, but involves opening the scope.

The new firmware is not that different in usage compared to the original. It is not finished yet, so features like measurements and the FFT are still missing.

Have fun with it, and if you have questions just post them.

Regards,
Peter

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1315 on: January 25, 2022, 06:14:18 am »
Hi, new here. I was looking for info about this oscilloscope which I plan to buy for checking stuff around the house (utility power, UPS, and portable generator outputs, etc.) My search took me to this forum and I'm glad it did.

I've started reading through a few pages but I've hardly scratched the surface as the information is overwhelming. Is there like a Wiki for this instrument where information about things like usage, capabilities, limitations, hacks, etc. are structured?

Thanks!

Hi TiredOldDad, also welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately there is no wiki about this instrument.

You write about checking things around the house and more specific mains power related issues. For that kind of work I would use a digital multi meter, which is safer than hooking up a scope to mains voltage. Even with a battery powered scope like this one, things can easily go wrong.

This scope is nice for simple projects with micro-controllers or other electronics were the signals are large enough to measure. This scope can measure in steps of ~3mV at best. The hardware only does 100mV per division, with 8 divisions for a full screen. This with an 8 bit ADC means 0,003125V per step.

If I was you I would do some more research or start a new thread with a more specified question for advice on buying the right equipment for your tasks.

Cheers,
Peter

Offline TiredOldDad

« Reply #1316 on: January 25, 2022, 10:59:28 am »
Hi TiredOldDad, also welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately there is no wiki about this instrument.

You write about checking things around the house and more specific mains power related issues. For that kind of work I would use a digital multi meter, which is safer than hooking up a scope to mains voltage. Even with a battery powered scope like this one, things can easily go wrong.

This scope is nice for simple projects with micro-controllers or other electronics were the signals are large enough to measure. This scope can measure in steps of ~3mV at best. The hardware only does 100mV per division, with 8 divisions for a full screen. This with an 8 bit ADC means 0,003125V per step.

If I was you I would do some more research or start a new thread with a more specified question for advice on buying the right equipment for your tasks.

Cheers,
Peter

Hello Peter,

I just need to see the waveforms to make basic evaluation of the output quality. I have a bunch of multimeters but they're just another tool in the box. I see that this scope can do FFT, which can be used to derive THD. Again, it doesn't need to be very precise. Just indicative will do.

So to check line power (100-240V AC), can I use X10 or X100 probes?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 11:01:00 am by TiredOldDad »

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1317 on: January 25, 2022, 05:07:27 pm »
Depends on the level of the mains voltage. With 240V the peak will be ~340,  so peak to peak 780V. This is out of range of the scope when a 10x probe is used, so a 100x probe will be needed, but when you are not sure about which wire is the phase and which the neutral the live voltage might be on the rim of the BNC connector. For this kind of work a differential probe is advisable.

And never try this when the scope is connected to USB.

The FFT in the original firmware is not that great. There is no indication of frequencies or actual levels. In the new firmware there is no FFT yet.

Regards,
Peter

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1318 on: January 25, 2022, 08:17:50 pm »
RE FFT- My experiece with "hybrid" FFT + waveforms is that one other the is compromised in display, i.e. you get 1-2 cycles of waveform and little ore no detail in the FFT OR you get lots of waves such that you cant really see them but useful detail in the FFT. I currently have one scope (Tek 5K) looking at the waveform and another (Tek 7K + Wavetek FFT plug in) for the FFT. A good FFT interface is important for the spectrum to be useful. I would not hesitate to get a second 1013 for a spectrum display if I got useful info from having both. In the larger scheme it would be very cost effective.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1319 on: January 26, 2022, 12:36:17 am »

Since we can modify the firmware what about the feasibility of hacking the front-end hardware to give a higher amplification mode?

Offline Gustavo

• Contributor
« Reply #1320 on: January 26, 2022, 01:30:21 am »
Dear friends. I bought a non working 1013D at eBay. The scope starts up but the touchpad is inoperative. Im gessing the F1C100S sends the TP configuration on start up, if this is true, something is wrong because no I2C signals are present at any time at the TP connector. I removed the flash I and put all the firmwares I found at /pecostm32, still nothing at the GT911 signal pins. You mentioned an arduino sketch to program de TP but Im unable to find it, any way would be great if you help me to save my toy. Thanks in advance.  :-BROKE

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1321 on: January 26, 2022, 06:34:35 am »
RE FFT- My experiece with "hybrid" FFT + waveforms is that one other the is compromised in display, i.e. you get 1-2 cycles of waveform and little ore no detail in the FFT OR you get lots of waves such that you cant really see them but useful detail in the FFT. I currently have one scope (Tek 5K) looking at the waveform and another (Tek 7K + Wavetek FFT plug in) for the FFT. A good FFT interface is important for the spectrum to be useful. I would not hesitate to get a second 1013 for a spectrum display if I got useful info from having both. In the larger scheme it would be very cost effective.

You are absolutely right about that. If both aspects are important you need two instruments.

The stock FFT on the 1013D is not useful at all, to my opinion. It only shows vertical lines on the frequencies present in the signal, which in it self is not bad, but there is no indication of frequency nor level. It lacks the ability to get a proper amount of samples for a better FFT. In my version the number of samples is doubled to 3000 samples, but still a little low.

That is why the project shifted to working on the FPGA.

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1322 on: January 26, 2022, 06:41:12 am »
Since we can modify the firmware what about the feasibility of hacking the front-end hardware to give a higher amplification mode?

That is certainly an option. For this, a better reversal of the hardware is needed. De-solder the capacitors and measure them and then do calculations on amplification and bandwidth for new resistor and capacitor values.

Within the new firmware it is not that difficult to make changes for a new front-end.

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1323 on: January 26, 2022, 07:15:25 am »
Dear friends. I bought a non working 1013D at eBay. The scope starts up but the touchpad is inoperative. Im gessing the F1C100S sends the TP configuration on start up, if this is true, something is wrong because no I2C signals are present at any time at the TP connector. I removed the flash I and put all the firmwares I found at /pecostm32, still nothing at the GT911 signal pins. You mentioned an arduino sketch to program de TP but Im unable to find it, any way would be great if you help me to save my toy. Thanks in advance.  :-BROKE

Hi Gustavo, welcome to the forum.

About the touch panel. Yes there should be I2C signals on the connections to the GT911. But when either the F1C100s or the GT911 is defective the signals might remain low. Try it with a disconnected touch panel. You should see a set of clock and data pulses at regular intervals.

The stock firmware uses a lower frequency then the new firmware. If I remember correctly the stock firmware frequency is about 40KHz for the clock. With the new firmware it is quite a bit higher. I tweaked it to near point of failure and dialed it back a bit to be reliable.

In the hack repository (https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI-1013D-Hack) there is a lot of information. A file "Aliexpress links to handy stuff" with a link to a new touch panel, fpc connector to 2.54mm header converters, etc. The schematics, pictures pointing to components.

Also a lot of info in this thread. My involvement starts on page 19, and a lot of talk about the touch panel can be found on the pages 22 to 30 or so. For the arduino sketch look at message here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fnirsi-1013d-100mhz-tablet-oscilloscope/msg3547611/#msg3547611. ser8989 wrote it.

The stock firmware seems to exist with or without writing a configuration to the touch panel. The new firmware does not. It only reads it at startup and calculates a conversion factor to get a 800 x 480 grid.

Success with the repair. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Cheers,
Peter

Offline Gustavo

• Contributor
« Reply #1324 on: January 26, 2022, 03:06:32 pm »
Thanks so much for your time. I got all the info contained in the Hack Repository. At boot  there is no signal at F1C100S 63, 64 and 65 pins, they are at high state all the time, 3.1V.
Now I have a doubt: The GT911 at the TP must be programmed during 1013D production and then holds that register info in an internal EEPROM, or the processor do that every time the oscilloscope boots?

I ask this because if there is a way to program the GT911 with an arduino is because the 911 holds that programming info, if not, is a non sense if the info is lost once you turn 911 power off after the arduino procedure is done.

BTW the oscilloscope curent consumption is about 1.3 amps and the processor is very hot all the time, cant hold my finger over it for more than 2 seconds. is this normal for an ARM processor?
Its important to say that the oscilloscope shows everything in the screen, both channels and the wave parameters are shown correctly, the only one issue is the touchpad, of course this turns the oscilloscope useless.  :-//
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:08:20 pm by Gustavo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf