Author Topic: FNIRSI-1013D AS MUCH USE AS A CHOCOLATE FIREGUARD.  (Read 10991 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: FNIRSI-1013D AS MUCH USE AS A CHOCOLATE FIREGUARD.
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2022, 03:22:13 pm »
I do appologise if I have offended you

No offense, it just seemed very weird.  :-//

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2022, 03:25:49 pm »
I do appologise if I have offended you, just frustration on my part. I do expect devices such as these should not go down after such a short time. This BB with all the messages we see and for all the conjecture created does not in my opinion reflect that of a quality piece of equipment.

Don't let Fungus mess with you. He knows this scope is not the best on the market. A bit of a shame yours only lasted a couple of years before giving problems, but truth be told mine arrived with a touch panel problem. It was that what got the fun started :-DD

Now I have reverse engineered every part of it,the  schematic to some extend, the firmware and the FPGA programming. 8)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2022, 03:28:12 pm »
... does not in my opinion reflect that of a quality piece of equipment.

???

Apple used them to develop their M1 chip, you can see them all around the lab in this video:

If it's good enough for Apple...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 06:25:05 pm by Fungus »

Offline GannetTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2022, 06:34:37 pm »
Got the 8GB card Peter and this is as far as I got.
Somewhere on the 8Gb card is the name 'Scope' that's the label I gave it when I formatted in windows.
Seems OK or isn't it?
Now gently gently where do I go from here

Thanks

George
PS Going for a beer :popcorn:* Screenshot.jpg (86.7 kB. 640x480 - viewed 142 times.)

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2022, 06:54:13 pm »
Hi George,

the scope does not look at the label, so it will be fine as long as the format is fat32 and not ntfs, exfat, ext4 or any of the others out there. Unfortunately the compression on the screen shot is to much. Can't read what is shown on the screen.

So please try again.

Peter,

P.S. you might find me weird, but I don't drink alcoholic beverages, lemonades or coffee ;)

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2022, 04:31:18 pm »
Hi Peter, here are a couple of higher res snapshots.
The 8Gb usb is formatted FAT32 with a disc label Scope
Goodness knows how I got the FR** file on there, maybe you'll have to go gently through the process.
Screen1 is just showing I can be in Linux and access www.eevblog. and hopefully the state of my USB card
Lest see where we go from here.
Thanks
George

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2022, 05:20:11 pm »
Hi George,

I can see that you used Windows to format the card :) The tell tale sign is the "System Volume Information" folder.

The fnirsi_1013d_scope.html file is indeed the mystery of what you have done. It is a web page. Not needed for this quest.

Best is to first see if the card works in the scope. Just stick it in the SD card slot and power up the scope. If all is well it starts up normally. Do a picture or waveform save on the scope. When it works as normal, turn it off again and go back to the linux machine with the SD card. There should be a couple of new files on the card, made by the scope.

Then it is time to do the needed steps.

Check with "lsblk" if the SD card is still attached to /dev/sdb. (You probably used "sudo fdisk -l" to list the partitions in your screen shot?)

Then open the github repository that contains the binary needed for the backup (https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI-1013D-1014D-Hack/blob/main/Test%20code/fnirsi_1013d_firmware_backup/Binaries/fnirsi_1013d_fwb.bin)

Download it and open the download folder to see if it is there. Then change your path in the terminal window to where the file is. (cd Downloads)

Now comes the part to load the code onto the SD card. But first it has to be unmounted.

Code: [Select]
sudo umount /dev/sdb1
Be aware that this is with the 1 at the end indicating the partition. And this is assuming it is at /dev/sdb. It can also be /dev/sdc, /dev/sdd, etc.

Then the file has to be copied onto the SD card, but to a dedicated sector.

sudo dd if=fnirsi_1013d_fwb.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=1024 seek=8
This is done to the device not the partition, so no 1!

And that is all there is to it. Insert the card into the scope and turn it on. You should get what I show in the video I posted before. At the end the needed files are on the SD card. You can use either the scope with the USB connection or your SD card /reader/writer to get them onto your computer. This part can also be done under Windows if you prefer.

Let me know how it goes.

Peter

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2022, 06:27:54 pm »
Hi Peter, I'm nowrunning Linux lite in terminal mode. a few more files were written to the card, I can see them now. (good init)
we have 1.bmp, 1.wav,piclist.sys.pic_system.sys,wavelist.sys and wave_system.sys

besides others we have one partition
sdb/sdb1 8:16, 1 , 7.4G 0 part/ media/linux/scope

Its the next part I'm strugling with, opening the github repository and how to download the file and save it to my 8Gb card whilst in linux terminal??

Or have I missed a step?

OK it looks like I saved the file finirs_bin to home/linux/downloads/

The CD command will not work for me ? thats odd

« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 07:31:39 pm by Gannet »

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2022, 07:54:46 pm »
With linux running from the USB stick it will not write the things you download onto the USB stick. It will just hold it in a ram disk. And that is not a problem, but means it has to be done in one go.

Ok the scope works with the SD card, since it wrote the files to it.

The partition you mention is on the SD card, and that can't be used to hold the file that needs to be written to sector 16. This because it has to be unmounted to use "dd". I write file, but it is not like a normal file within a file system. The binary data from the file is written with the dd command outside the file system.

You write it is downloaded to home/linux/downloads, and that sounds right. Within the terminal window you are most likely already in the home/linux folder and as linux is case sensitive the command to switch to the downloads folder is then just "cd downloads" To use the full path it would be "cd /home/linux/downloads"

So the step is to download it into the downloads folder, which firefox does automatically, as you already found out.

Then enter that folder in the terminal window. When that is done perform the two actions mentioned in the code sections in my previous post. The unmount first, and then the "dd" (disk duplicate) command.

But make sure that the SD card is still attached as /dev/sdb.

I can't stress that enough, because "dd" does not check, it just writes where you tell it to write, and using the wrong device can f-up your system.

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2022, 09:33:32 pm »

I did manage to change directories as you can see.
But I can't seem to unmount.
But it's wine time, I'll pick up tomorrow

Cheers George

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2022, 06:30:20 am »
Hi George,

copy paste is your friend in this case, but needs to be done with the right mouse button.

The mistake you made is that the command is "umount", so no "n" in it. :)

You can select what I typed just as in Windows, and then copy and paste it in the terminal window, but to do the actual pasting you have to use the mouse right click and then the menu item paste. You can't use "ctrl - v" in the terminal window.

Cheers,
Peter

Edit: And there must be a space between the command and the parameter.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 06:32:34 am by pcprogrammer »

Offline MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2022, 06:42:13 am »
Hi,

So i guess this is the same as the 1014D just in a different package?

I thought i saw a web site selling chocolate that melts at 100 degrees C but then found out it really melts at 30 degrees C they lied (ha ha).

The following users thanked this post: Gannet

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2022, 07:07:38 am »

Yes, but with a simple AWG, and the hardware user interface added to it. For the rest the same crappy front end, same FPGA, ADC's and MCU.

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2022, 04:01:12 pm »
Today's effort, I'm sorry I'm being very slow Peter, sometimes I get very very tired, I'm not sure if my oxygen machine is helping me at all I arose at 9 this morning and went straight back to sleep in my armchair untill 1pm.

However, I think I'm making progress, I'm beginning to understand that Linux is very 'case & space' sensitive.
On my linux desktop there is an icon showing my sd card which from there I can unmount it. When first loaded it is automatically mounted.
From the next screenshot you'll see that the file fnirsi is in my downloads folder.
Sadly, once more I'm having trouble with the last sudo command 'dd if=fnirsi_ etc ' wont work for me.
Am I in the correct directory or somewhere that I shouldn't be ?
Maybe you can spot it from the screenshot.

Regards

George

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2022, 05:15:55 pm »
No problem with the slowness :)

The why of the command failing is because you got the wrong file in the download folder. The open folder shows fnirsi_1013d.bin and you need the fnirsi_1013d_fwb.bin for this part of the quest. (https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI-1013D-1014D-Hack/blob/main/Test%20code/fnirsi_1013d_firmware_backup/Binaries/fnirsi_1013d_fwb.bin)

Also it might be that using the unmount option from the folder also drops the SD card attachment. It is best to use the command line instructions.

To see what is available in a directory you can use the command "ls"

For the rest things look to be correct.

Greetings,

Peter

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2022, 09:46:24 pm »
Do you think this is it Peter?

Gnight

George

Offline MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2022, 09:57:45 pm »

Yes, but with a simple AWG, and the hardware user interface added to it. For the rest the same crappy front end, same FPGA, ADC's and MCU.

Well thank you for the info this has been very interesting.

Now do i read it right when i see that the ADC's being used in these scopes are only rated for 200MS/s and not 1GS/s as advertised?
200 megasamples per second VS advertised 1 gigasamples per second that is.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2022, 05:25:08 am »
Do you think this is it Peter?

Hi George,

yes that is the right file, but in the command you types you forgot the "dd". You used "sudo if=......" instead of "sudo dd if=......"

sudo dd if=fnirsi_1013d_fwb.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=1024 seek=8
Try the copy and paste method I wrote about before :)

Good day,
Peter

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2022, 05:30:44 am »
Now do i read it right when i see that the ADC's being used in these scopes are only rated for 200MS/s and not 1GS/s as advertised?
200 megasamples per second VS advertised 1 gigasamples per second that is.

A single ADC is only rated for 100MSa/s, but with two ADC's in a single package you get 200MSa/s by using different clock phases for each ADC. (180 degree phase shift)

All the information about the scope and the reverse engineering process can be found in this thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fnirsi-1013d-100mhz-tablet-oscilloscope/

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2022, 04:33:14 pm »
Well Peter, you're not gonna believe this! it's up and running. My firmware must have been trashed after all. When I switched on there was lots of relay clicking. I put my probe in and hey presto it seems fine. I do notice that there is a slight screen shimmer.
Also i see under the battery icon it says v0.005 is that revision or volts?

Do we now have the latest firmware fix installed ?

Couple of pics to show are attached. I don't know what all the bother was about (he he) I must hold the record for the slowest installation of your firmware.
Thanks, a big bunch Peter, you'll get your thanks in heaven.

Best regards
George

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2022, 05:35:04 pm »
Hi George,

yep, that is my firmware, and this also shows that your display is different. The colors are supposed to be yellow and magenta cyan for the traces and green for the trigger level indicator. The background is supposed to be black. :o

This probably means that the firmware in the flash is not different then the one in mine.

It might be that the display connection is poor, or has it always been like this?

The v0.005 is the revision indicator, and that is indeed the latest version that I made. It does lack the FFT that the original has, and there is no roll mode with the large time per division settings.

Does the fact that you now have my version of the firmware running, mean you skipped the step of making the backup of the flash? In other words that you did not load the fnirsi_1023d_fwb.bin file?

Hope you enjoy having the scope running again.

Cheers,
Peter

Edit: had the wrong color in mind.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 05:43:14 pm by pcprogrammer »

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2022, 05:55:31 pm »
Here is a picture of what the startup screen looks like on mine. It is a bit blurry because I broke the glass when I changed the touch panel and replaced it with an acrylic sheet. The protection foil is still on it.

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2022, 08:08:38 pm »
I think you're correct Peter, my colors are a wee bit washed.
I missed out the 1023d.bin thinking if my firmware in the flash was scuppered then there was no need to worry and just go ahead and load your firmware
Unless of course I can still do it and that you may want a copy?

I'll check my display connections just in case, but for now it's working thanks to you and your tenacity in sticking with me.
Have a great weekend.

Kind regards

George

PS. Mr moderator, Peter deserves a goody sticker on this board.

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2022, 08:28:21 pm »
Hi George,

since it is most likely the same old firmware, now that it seems your display is a bit of, I don't need a copy of it.

The display shows the inverse of the intended colors and I'm not sure if this is an option that can be selected. Have to dig up the datasheet for it.

But at least your scope seems to be working again. Just report back when new problems arise.

Regards,
Peter

Edit: did not see a mode where a display would do this, so it is a bit weird. But for example the yellow is made of 255 red, 255 green and 0 blue, and it shows as blue on yours, so 0 red, 0 green and 255 blue.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 08:38:03 pm by pcprogrammer »

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2022, 09:29:23 pm »
Thanks Peter if you hear of any more on the Color’s, please let me know,

George

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf