Author Topic: FNIRSI-1013D AS MUCH USE AS A CHOCOLATE FIREGUARD.  (Read 10998 times)

Online perdrix

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FNIRSI-1013D AS MUCH USE AS A CHOCOLATE FIREGUARD.
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2022, 12:04:52 pm »
Less use than a chocolate fireguard (you can after all eat the chocolate fireguard)!

D.

Offline GannetTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2022, 02:47:13 pm »
That's a good Idea, that way no one will be able to trace where it's gone. Trace he he  :-DD

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2023, 08:17:11 pm »
Received the patient and started investigations on it.

Apart from the inverted display there is also a, what looks like, random resetting of the processor. Some relays click, the screen goes black and the current drops. The screen going black is due to the brightness signal being turned off, but there are also moments that it stays on and the screen is just white.

Think this has to do with how far the processor can run through the code before running into trouble. The strange bit is that sometimes it starts up fine and works stable for a while, but eventually it turns of again.

The current is around ~350mA when the back light is off and no activity on the LCD signals, around ~750mA when the back light is on, but still no activity on the LCD signals. It goes up to ~1A when it is working.

The MCU clock shows normal signs of live, and the voltages are up to par without garbage on them. My guess is that the MCU is broken somehow. Ordered up a new one and when it arrives, I will see if it is indeed the culprit. It is a bit of a challenge with the ground pad, but some youtube videos show it can be done with just a hot air station.

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2023, 12:40:05 pm »
Unfortunately I messed up. QFN is not my thing. The old one came of easily, but I did not notice that a pad also came of :palm:

Tried to solder the new one on and the solder did melt and the ground pad made proper connection, which can be measured via small copper bits on the corners of the chip, but I think a lot of the pads did not. My hands are also not so steady anymore so while trying to tap it down it moved of the pads  |O

Finally managed to get it straight and under a microscope it looked like the pads had connections after multiple attempts with a soldering iron running past them, but it is dead. So either I fried the chip or there are still some bad connections. I can see on a scope that the clock is running, and on startup there is some activity on the SD card signals.

So I have met my match.  :-[

The picture shows the pad that came loose.

Offline Chris02

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2023, 03:06:32 pm »
Hey pcprogrammer,

cool project to make a new firmware for the scope!

If you want post or send me some high resolution pics and I can try to check the soldering.
And did you check the current consumpting after changing the cpu? It maybe should give you some hints, e.g. if there is any short shircuit from soldering.

I also has got one question. Supports you firmware (I guess original one doesn't do) simple "+" operation? I have to check some RS485 signals and need to add CH1 and CH2.

Offline MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2023, 03:03:17 am »
Hi,

One of the things i think is strange about some of the new low cost scopes (like this "one", and i have to put the word "one" in quotes ha ha) is the wave generator options.
Who would design a wave generator where you can not vary the output amplitude?  Not me.
If you are going to go though the trouble of putting a wave gen inside another instrument that has lots of buttons and knobs already why not build in an amplitude level adjustment?  How much more design work would that require, about an hour or two?

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2023, 05:50:18 am »
If you want post or send me some high resolution pics and I can try to check the soldering.
And did you check the current consumpting after changing the cpu? It maybe should give you some hints, e.g. if there is any short shircuit from soldering.

I have checked the soldering under my camera microscope and for as far as I can see the connections are there, but it might well be that underneath the chip there are some shorts. Hard to tell.

The current drawn is lower then normal, but higher then without the MCU. I suspect the MCU is fried due to the multiple tries to get it right.

I also has got one question. Supports you firmware (I guess original one doesn't do) simple "+" operation? I have to check some RS485 signals and need to add CH1 and CH2.

No, the new firmware even lacks the FFT and has no new features except the selection of the sample rate.

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2023, 05:58:05 am »
Hi,

One of the things i think is strange about some of the new low cost scopes (like this "one", and i have to put the word "one" in quotes ha ha) is the wave generator options.
Who would design a wave generator where you can not vary the output amplitude?  Not me.
If you are going to go though the trouble of putting a wave gen inside another instrument that has lots of buttons and knobs already why not build in an amplitude level adjustment?  How much more design work would that require, about an hour or two?

You are hinting about the 1014D, because the 1013D does not have a wave generator. But implementing proper amplitude variation requires additional hardware with a second DAC. With only 8 bits there is not much room to keep a proper signal at lower amplitude. It is how the Hantek DSO2D1x does it though.

They could have done it in the 1014D, and maybe donwulff can implement it when he converts the new 1013D firmware to the 1014D  :)

Offline daemon17

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2023, 10:37:00 am »
Hi pcprogrammer!  ;)
I bought this device on 01.03.2023
I want to reflash it and I have a few questions.

How can I make a FLASH backup without breaking the scope?
Do I need to use sunxi-tools for this?

Explain what is the order of loading the scope? It first refers to the SD-card or FLASH Chip.
I work with Linux, so there are no problems with it.

You've done a great job. I admire you!

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2023, 11:44:32 am »
Hi daemon17,

welcome to the forum.

First of all to use the new firmware I wrote you don't have to write to the FLASH. It works from the SD card.

But making a backup of the FLASH never hurts, and can be done with the backup tool I wrote for it.

The procedure for making use of both these is the same.

The binary for the backup is here: https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI-1013D-1014D-Hack/blob/main/Test%20code/fnirsi_1013d_firmware_backup/Binaries/fnirsi_1013d_fwb.bin

The binary for the new firmware is here: https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI_1013D_Firmware/blob/main/fnirsi_1013d_scope/dist/Debug/GNU_ARM-Linux/fnirsi_1013d.bin

Information on how to load the binaries to the SD card are given in the readme here: https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI_1013D_Firmware

I also would suggest to check the thread about the hacking and development of the firmware here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fnirsi-1013d-100mhz-tablet-oscilloscope/msg3807689/#msg3807689

Success and have fun with it.

Cheers,
Peter

Offline daemon17

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2023, 05:23:34 pm »
Thanks Peter for the help.

I'd like to share exciting news.    ;)
I got everything

Best regards, Alex

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 08:48:21 am by daemon17 »

Offline daemon17

« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2023, 02:09:08 pm »
Hi Peter!
How can I restore the original firmware from the saved files:
  • FNIRSI_1013D_full_flash_backup.bin,
  • FNIRSI_1013D_tp_config.bin,
  • FWB_FSI_1013.bin

Would love to know about it ;)

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2023, 03:02:04 pm »
The flash can be restored if needed by using the full flash backup and a flash programmer like a CH341 programmer, because that file (FNIRSI_1013D_full_flash_backup.bin) is an exact copy of the flash chip on the board. (Either 2MB or 4MB)

The FWB_FSI_1013.bin is a copy of just the firmware part of the flash, and has to be renamed (don't recall to what) and written to the SD card as a normal file. Rebooting the scope would then write this firmware to the flash chip. This only works in the original firmware! Also not very useful in your case since it is the same version as already there.

The file FNIRSI_1013D_tp_config.bin is not really important. It is just a copy of the configuration in your scopes touch panel. I added that to the backup because there are different touch panels in circulation and I needed to get my hands on one that I messed up in one of my scopes  :palm:

To revert back to the original firmware you can delete the new firmware form the SD card, or stick another blank formatted SD card in the scope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf