Author Topic: Fnirsi SG-003A & SG-004A Signal Generators  (Read 9883 times)

Online DaneLawTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 12:11:32 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A, arturmariojr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fnirsi SG-003A & SG-004A Signal Generators
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 08:39:46 pm »
Decided to purchase one of each at AliExpr's latest sale from two different stores, while the SG003A (blue) has arrived the more expensive SG-004A (yellow) hasn't - and not gonna arrive, as I sadly landed a dishonest Fnirsi-store/seller, that uses the old trick with an excuse about "quality-problems" after I paid.
And after some time, give an option to refund by PayPal.
Tried to explain it ain't an option, as the "price" people from Europe pay, also incl. VAT - so it needs to go through Aliexpress-system for those buyers to get their 25% VAT back..and it seems he wouldn't do that, as it will hurt his store, so instead put a fake tracking from Serbia of all places with an old timestamp, in an attempt to steal the money as the Aliexpress-system seems to accept that, even though Im in Denmark with my danish address, - and I as a buyer will be in limbo until the AliExpr. systems after a few weeks (or months) hopefully let me dispute it. - but that's "Aliexpress" in a nutshell, and something you need to tolerate if you wanna use that platform.

Usually, dishonest sellers will put some other persons tracking from your country, so it actually looks like it's heading your way when checking it, - I guess the tracking database these rancid sellers are using, was out of danish relevant tracking details.

it was the Aliexpress Store. "El Kitchen Store" (rancid fellow, stay clear of that store) even used a tracking that says delivered in Serbia before I made the purchase.-Aliexpress system is horrendously undermined if rotten sellers can use other peopples tracking that is "old" and already says delivered to another country (Serbia" before I made the purchase.
and the system won't let me dispute it... it says to wait 10 days... (I did) and now it says.. I shall need to wait and there needs to be at least 15 days of no activity on the tracking, and its hilarious as there hasnt been any movement on that tracking since 23 Sep where it was delivered to somebody in Serbia.https://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking/SY15030779787
Im in Denmark, how this Aliexpr.-system let him use an old dated tracking to Serbia is beyond me. (certainly not doing Fnirsi any benefits letting the most rancid stores on Aliexpress do this bs to customers)

The other Fnirsi SG-0003A (blue vers.) was purchased at Dylan Selection Store - and that was a pleasant experience, to a strong sale price, topnudge buying experience.

So far I'm quite impressed with how polished and well-built this product is from Fnirsi. (if they actually are making it, and it aint a rebrand from some third-party)
It feels well-built not least with the price in mind and it's a sexy little gadget. with tons of features.. there are a few spelling mistakes in the UI, and missing letters in certain places but it doesn't have that Frankenstein feel that I often have seen from Fnirsi, where it comes across as a mashup from other parts at the local market.
It's a nice little gadget for the price.

It will lid up the buttons to indicate what mode/feature you're in.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 03:50:59 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: TheNewLab, Markus2801A

Offline Cpuch22

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 03:04:23 am »
I purchased the SG-004A. Below are some photos of the teardown. It's pretty cool.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A, arturmariojr, dophuc

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 05:44:22 am »
wow! looking at the SG-004A inside is like looking over New York City, while the inside of the SG-003a is more like..the Bahamas?  Just to add temp?  :-//

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 03:45:11 am »
I purchased an SG-004A. Testing it out it appears to have a significant amount of (likely) thermal drift after first powering on. Once it stabilizes it appears to meet its specifications, but until it stabilizes, it is about an order of magnitude lower than is allowed by it's accuracy specification.

Offline ozkarah

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 02:52:48 am »
According to the manual device can be controlled under MODBUS Slave mode and at the end of the manual there are tables of MODBUS functions.

But, the manual does not describe how to connect the RS485 wiring. Does anyone know how to communicate and control this device using MODBUS (RS485)?

« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 03:01:53 am by ozkarah »

Offline bigmavr

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 02:38:59 pm »
According to the manual device can be controlled under MODBUS Slave mode and at the end of the manual there are tables of MODBUS functions.

But, the manual does not describe how to connect the RS485 wiring. Does anyone know how to communicate and control this device using MODBUS (RS485)?

when the device is turned on, connect the connector, a new com port will appear. You can connect through it (RS-232)

Offline Lachin012

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 09:04:21 pm »
I asked Fnirsi a question to them by mail, they answered that you yourself must find a program for communication with SG-004A, I could not find the program, I still did not understand what program was in question, maybe you know which program you need to install for connection with SG-004A?

sent me this pdf.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 09:09:23 pm by Lachin012 »

The following users thanked this post: ozkarah

Offline ozkarah

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 12:58:26 pm »
Great share, thanks.

The problem here is they use non-standard function codes 101 and 102 for ModBus.
I couldn't find a ready-to-use ModBus Master application capable of sending these codes.

Probably I will have to write some program for it.

Offline ivo

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2023, 11:31:06 am »
You can tell what ref it uses? Looks like maybe it's the AD D1S chip?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 11:33:48 am by ivo »

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 05:37:04 am »
You can tell what ref it uses? Looks like maybe it's the AD D1S chip?

D1S chip is most likely the DAQ. https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ad5426_5432_5443.pdf

Offline Electrump

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2024, 05:08:05 pm »
The specs look pretty similar to me. I think a company would not have two similar devices on the market at the same time. Can someone please explain what is the difference between these two devices purpose-wise?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2024, 06:37:49 pm »
The specs look pretty similar to me. I think a company would not have two similar devices on the market at the same time. Can someone please explain what is the difference between these two devices purpose-wise?
SG003A and SG004A..the main difference is tolerances... SG004A is rated at 0.02% (+5)

This YouTube channel has numerous good videos about these two devices and also looks at the added features, not least TC standards. 
Good low key YT channel, that comes across as honest & objective https://www.youtube.com/@three-phase562/search?query=sg004a

I only tried the SG003A which for the last 1½ year, been a very pleasant experience, not least from a Fnirsi product.. like it a lot to the point that I been looking into getting the SG004A but the pricejump from 45US to 120US is a tad (incl. EUVAT), and most of the added SG004A-features, are not that relevant to my usecases, and accuracy on my SG003A is already better then I have tools to validate.
LIke the frequency tools, and being able to rig that up to your heart's desire.
Quite handy when working with lasers & LEDs to have these standards in a small handheld unit.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 07:32:27 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: Electrump

Offline arturmariojr

• Contributor
  • Passionate on electronics and calculators!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2024, 12:57:54 pm »
Does anybody know what is the mode XMT of Fnirsi SG-004A?

Does it make this device to be a current controller, like Fluke 789 on simulation current source, when you must connect a power supply to its input and the load to output and it will controll the sinked current by load?

Best regards
Artur

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2024, 09:03:10 pm »

Does it make this device to be a current controller, like Fluke 789 on simulation current source, when you must connect a power supply to its input and the load to output and it will controll the sinked current by load?
I don't have the 004A, only purchased 003A
Though' the manual states (Passive XMT)
【 4.4 】 XMT Passive Current Signal
【 Mode Switch 】:When the main interface 【 FN 】 is white.Press 【 IN/OUT 】 to switch
the display of actual value and engineering quantity of input/output
【 Output Range 】: The limit range of passive current output can be set
Manuals.
SG003A https://img.wqdres.com/res/0/20231229/f5e538de025c4a0293ece76f956df138.pdf
SG004A https://img.wqdres.com/res/0/20231229/88578d747c8e46bc8625bde800fc921b.pdf

Have you checked the "Three Phase" YT-videos [linked in #12]  I do recall he went through the different use-cases on most of these extensive test-features.

Offline Mike1233

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2024, 12:08:16 am »

Best regards
Artur

I am new with the Fnirsi SG-004A but i have tried the option XMT.
I have a device for measuring the volume of a tank. It uses a pressure sensor from 4-20mA. It has 2 wires.
If i measure the output for the connectors measures 21,3V DC.
If i connect the SG-004A on the sensor input, with the setting XMT, and change the mA output it shows that the volume is changing.
If i use the "normal" output mA then nothing happens.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 12:10:59 am by Mike1233 »

Offline LastManStanding

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2024, 05:09:49 pm »
Hi there,
I'm experiencing some unusual behavior with my SG-004A. I'm unsure if my device is faulty. There is a consistent fluctuation in the output voltage, around 2mV. The voltage gradually decreases, then quickly rises again, resembling a sawtooth waveform. Can someone verify if they are experiencing similar behavior with their SG-004A?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 05:54:51 pm by LastManStanding »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf