Author Topic: Franky's Kelvin Clip kit.  (Read 22510 times)

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
Re: Franky's Kelvin Clip kit.
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2021, 04:58:18 am »
Bad ETA3105 Kelvin Clips.

I bought the ETA3105 Kelvin Clips in 2020, from Franky's, also know as 99centHobbies (ebay seller f-t-2000), and they are crap. The metal didn't look right, so I measured the continuity of the tips of the kelvin clips with an ohm meter (the ohm meter had good gold plated probes) and many times there was no connection at all, even when pressing firmly with the ohm meter probes. Other times the connection was marginal at best, but no where close to zero ohms. They are advertised as gold plated, but I don't think so.

These kelvin clips are highly recommended by many people, so I don't know what is going on here. Are these counterfit? I don't know. I have bought other items from this seller and they were good, and this seller is highly recommended on this forum.

I eventually bought some BK Precision TLDK1 Kelvin Clip Probes and the make very good connection.

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2021, 07:05:19 am »
Send him a message through ebay and see what he says.  I've always gotten quick responses from him.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173337601080
Looking at the photos on the listing it does seem that the plating looks a little off!  Maybe some kind of residue that needs to be cleaned or the electroplating didn't go well.  Quality control perhaps.

Bought a couple sets of Kelvin clips a while back from a different seller:
This set had some questionable areas on the plating, dull and some missed spots: https://www.ebay.com/itm/191227969924
This set from the same place had mint plating, very shiny: https://www.ebay.com/itm/201604885284

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2021, 12:07:04 am »

I eventually bought some BK Precision TLDK1 Kelvin Clip Probes and the make very good connection.

Those BK end clips look like the ones supplied with the Tonghui TH26011CS Test Fixture that also comes with their LCR Meters. Makes you wonder if Tonghui is an OEM supplier of some of BK gear ::)

These are definitely a step up (Pro like) from the cheap ones you find on eBay and Alix, we have some of the cheap ones to compare. This isn't to say the cheap ones don't work, they do a good job and can give quite respectable readings compared to the more expensive Pro type if carefully used and calibrated, but likely won't last as long in heavy use.

Just as a quick test, we did a side by side comparison of some of the tiny cheap Kelvin probes you find (we had made our own 4 wire probes), not the larger ones that resemble the Tonghui types. Using a piece of 2mm dia Cu wire ~50mm long, with a careful zero measurements and null using a KS34465A, we got results with +-20 micro-ohms of the Tonghui TH2830 LCR meter which was within 20 micro-ohms of what the wire DCR should be. We didn't bring out the other set of custom made Kelvin probes based upon the cheaper clips that look similar to the Tonghui ones, but suspect results would be similar.

Best,   
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf