Author Topic: Free HP3478A multimeter control program.  (Read 20373 times)

Offline lmesterTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
Free HP3478A multimeter control program.
« on: January 15, 2017, 08:03:03 am »
I bought a HP3478A multimeter about a year ago. It's a nice meter except for the no backlight LCD display. My old eyes have a problem reading it. I decided to fix this with a Microsoft Windows program to control the meter. You get a big easy to read display on your PC plus the ability to log data and load preset configs into the meter. The program uses a Prologix GPIB adapter to connect to the meter. A Prologix adaper or clone is required.

You can download it from my web server: http://mesterhome.com/gpibsw/

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
Free HP3478A multimeter control program.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:46:09 am »

No more HP3478A dead battery anxiety!

Thanks to some info that I found on this board, I've now added an option to backup and restore the meter calibration data. You no longer need to worry about losing the meter calibration data because of a dead battery!

This is a Windows program. It requires a Prologix (or compatible) GPIB adapter.

Even if you don't need to log data or control the meter using your computer, you may want to use this program just to back up your calibration data.

My program performs a checksum on the cal data when performing a read or write. Also, a write verify.

I decided that I couldn't publish this software without a thorough test.  I risked wiping my meter cal to verifiy that the program can properly read and write the cal data.

I turned on the cal enable switch to fully test the code. I edited the saved cal file to create bad checksums and then wrote it back to the meter. I then verified that the meter showed a calibration fail. Next, I wrote the good cal file back to the meter.  The meter was now showing good calibration.

Even with this testing, I would suggest that you should not try to write your meter's calibration unless it's really necessary.

Also, You can do a safe (but not complete) test by doing a read and then a write with the cal switch disabled. The cal switch is a hardware write protect. Software can't override it. If the read and write match, the program will report no errors.

If there are no errors, the software and GPIB interface are working properly.

Finally, if you use an NI VISA USB to GPIB adapter there is backup software available in this thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-3478a-how-to-readwrite-cal-sram/msg1177575/#msg1177575

That's where I found the info needed to port this into my code.

The following users thanked this post: toli, swingbyte1, xbb, Gertjan, bd139, Seich, PixieDust, Doogs, djrm

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
Re: Free HP3478A multimeter control program.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:43:05 pm »
Fantastic!  I added a link to your software from my meter comparison page.  https://github.com/USACalClub/gear/blob/master/dmms/README.md
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 10:51:48 pm »
Nice  :-+

Fantastic!  I added a link to your software from my meter comparison page.  https://github.com/USACalClub/gear/blob/master/dmms/README.md
If you like, you can add my Fluke 45 software also: mdFluke software
(might also work with other Flukes)

The following users thanked this post: 3g57

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 11:17:46 pm »
Nice  :-+

If you like, you can add my Fluke 45 software also: mdFluke software
(might also work with other Flukes)

done!
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 02:08:07 pm »
Made my day.  I just bought a 3478A on eBay yesterday.

Offline sundance

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 10:17:22 am »
Same here!
Thank you so much for sharing this excellent program.
Just got my 3478A last week and was glad to be able to download the cal data and verify that it's valid.
You really made (not just) my day!

-joe

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 03:40:58 am »

I have put up a new version of the program. I found a bug that would intermittently give a warning that the calibration data write had failed even though it was actually successful. If you have saved cal data with the old version you don't need to re-save it. The cal data file is valid. The write verify had a  bug.

I was performing a verify on the first cal RAM location. This does not actually contain cal data. It's used by the meter as a write protect test. When cal is enabled the meter will periodically write a new value to this location. My updated code now ignores changes in this location.

There are also a few other minor fixes and updates to the program.

New version released on 07-20-2018 https://mesterhome.com/gpibsw/index.html

Also, some users have had problems getting a connection using an Arduino based Prologix clone with the Girlando software.
http://egirland.blogspot.com/2014/03/arduino-uno-as-usb-to-gpib-controller.html
I have ordered an Ardiuno board so that I can do some testing using that adapter.

Are you using an Arduino based GPIB adapter? Do you have any problems? Please let me know your results.

I think it's worth some effort to get my software working reliably with the Arduino adapter. It's probably the cheapest way to make a GPIB adapter.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 03:47:49 am »
thanks for the update, nice soft

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 07:18:08 am »
Cool, I have one of these meters I am fixing up as my 'beater' meter when I don't want to risk the 34461A on a dodgy circuit.

Will your software work with an official GPIB-USB adapter or the Ebay clones thereof?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 02:38:08 am »
Cool, I have one of these meters I am fixing up as my 'beater' meter when I don't want to risk the 34461A on a dodgy circuit.

Will your software work with an official GPIB-USB adapter or the Ebay clones thereof?

I normally use it with an official Prologix adapter. Note that this software does not work with NI-VISA type adapters. Only adapters that support the Prologix command set.  It's been used with various Prologix clones with mixed results. See my web page for more info.

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 05:10:28 pm »
Thanks for the SW, lmester. Fantastic job. Just tried it with Girlando's  Arduino GPIB and it works a treat. Just had to modify the Version ID that the UI is expecting and that was pretty much it (Settings -> Default Settings)

I was really worried for some time now, that the battery in my 3478 would die on me. Well, not any more.   :clap:

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 07:27:03 pm »
Nice looking software !
May be one day to can also make it work on the 34401A? How cool would that be !
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 10:56:18 pm »
Hi lmester,

I just tested this software with the USB to GPIB adapter made by Steven Casagrande, link below and, as expected, it doesn't work. How hard would it be to add this adapter to the list?
https://hackaday.com/2014/05/09/gpib-to-usb-with-a-python-api/

Edit: Never mind, it works. Thanks a lot !  :-+
Edit1: For some reason, even though I can see the readings from the instrument and (sometimes) I can control it, the message is "Instrument comm fail. Check GPIB port setting". It also cannot read calibration. Could it be because the GPIB adapter requires 460800 baud rate? In the "Default settings" it doesn't accept it but if I set it by hand in the config file, it doesn't complain.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:55:39 pm by Miti »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 03:23:10 am »
the usb gpib adapter is now an rev 4  from galvant industries

http://www.galvant.ca/#!/store/gpibusb

and the github  infos  FW  etc ...
https://github.com/Galvant/gpibusb-firmware

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 10:13:25 am »
Hi lmester,

I just tested this software with the USB to GPIB adapter made by Steven Casagrande, link below and, as expected, it doesn't work. How hard would it be to add this adapter to the list?
https://hackaday.com/2014/05/09/gpib-to-usb-with-a-python-api/

Edit: Never mind, it works. Thanks a lot !  :-+
Edit1: For some reason, even though I can see the readings from the instrument and (sometimes) I can control it, the message is "Instrument comm fail. Check GPIB port setting". It also cannot read calibration. Could it be because the GPIB adapter requires 460800 baud rate? In the "Default settings" it doesn't accept it but if I set it by hand in the config file, it doesn't complain.

Miti,

I've uploaded a new version of the program. It now allows higher baud rates. This was a bug in my baud rate range check. Editing the config file to update the baud rate should not cause problems. That baud rate is valid. My range check just didn't allow it. There are no range checks for data loaded from the config file.

Since you know how to edit the config file, there are two more "hidden" settings that you can select.

Set line 20 to 1 to turn on debug messages. You could copy the contents of the Instrument status window and send it to me.

More important, some Prologix clones require a delay between commands.

Line 27 sets this delay. The default is 0. The units are milliseconds. Try 100 - 500. Very large values can effectively "hang" the program. It's actually running, but, all of those time delays add up to the point where nothing is happening.

Here is a link to the config file settings: https://mesterhome.com/gpibsw/hp3478a/Software/ConfigFile.txt

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 03:21:28 pm »
Thanks lmester!

The baud rate works but comm still fails with delays up to 500ms. See attached.

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 08:49:20 am »
Thanks lmester!

The baud rate works but comm still fails with delays up to 500ms. See attached.

Miti,
Instrument detection is failing. I don't have your Prologix clone adapter available for testing. Debugging this could require many messages and file transfers between us to resolve the problem. We should switch this conversation to private messages or email. No need to fill up this thread with messages that would be of no interest to most readers.

I'll send you a PM.

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 03:56:40 am »
Hi lmester.

I just got the same adapter that Miti has and am also having issues. It seems to not be able to read the result of the "S" command even though I can when I use a terminal program. Were you ever able to figure this out?

Here's my debug log... Any tips?

Code: [Select]
Version 03/23/19
Windows 7 / S-2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Platform ID 2
Config file loaded.
Debug ON.
Command delay = 500ms.
Max COM port = 64.
OC:Open COM5 CheckCom.
CheckCom start COM5
CheckCom end CreateFileA COM5
CheckCom port found
CheckCom end CloseHandle COM5
OC:Open COM5 open port.
OC:Open COM5 OK.
CA:Start CheckAdapter on COM5
CA:Check Prologix GPIB adapter. ProVer =:"Version 5.0"
CA:Found Prologix adapter (No arduino delay).
CA:Exit checkAdapter on COM5
COM port set to COM5
IG:Start InitGPIB
IG:Find Prologix GPIB adapter.
IG:ProVer srch:"Version 5.0"
IG:Found Prologix adapter.
IG:set ++mode 1.
IG:set eot_enable 0.
IG:set read timeout:++read_tmo_ms 3000
IG:SetGPIB Address ++addr 18 success.
IG:set EOI 0.
IG:set EOS 0.
IG:Set auto talk mode off: ++auto 0  success.
IGT:QSB result
IGT:Failed instrument ID: BR$=:""
IGT LEN BR$:0
Instrument comm fail!
Check GPIB port setting!
Check GPIB port setting!

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2019, 08:08:13 pm »

The following users thanked this post: steve1515

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 01:46:56 pm »
Hi lmester.

I just got the same adapter that Miti has and am also having issues. It seems to not be able to read the result of the "S" command even though I can when I use a terminal program. Were you ever able to figure this out?

Here's my debug log... Any tips?

As Miti said, you can try the custom "Galvant" versions on my web site. These are NOT fully functional. The Galvant firmware does not support binary transfers. This causes the calibration load/save to fail.

The following users thanked this post: steve1515

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 09:30:08 pm »
Thanks. It works!  :)

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 11:56:16 am »
I've been re-writing the firmware for the Galvant adapter with a goal of full compatibility with the Prologix adapter. I expect to release it soon, since I only have a few things to work out. Hopefully this will make it so lmester doesn't have to keep different versions of his program and also so other people can use the open source hardware just like the Prologix in their other projects.  :)

In order to get my firmware to work the same as the Prologix, I'll need someone who has one to enter a few commands and send me the PuTTY log for review. I would do this myself, but I don't own a Prologix for testing... but that's why I bought the Galvant hardware.  ;D

Can someone with a Prologix please execute the following commands in the order provided with logging turned on and upload the file? I'm mainly looking to match certain command outputs and line endings for maximum compatibility.

++ver
++addr 18
++addr
++addr 18 97
++addr
++eos 1
++eot_char 13
++eot_enable 1
++addr
++ver
++help
++eot_char 10
++addr
++ver
++eos 0
++addr
++eos 2
++addr
++eos 3
++addr
++help

If PuTTY is used on windows, please use the following settings:
Session -> Logging -> Session Logging = All Session Output
Terminal -> Implicit CR in every LF = OFF
Terminal -> Implicit LF in every CR = OFF

One final thing I'm wondering...
When the Prologix is connected to the HP 3478A, if "++read" is sent, does the meter return the value continuously or only just a single read?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
I hope to publish the source code on GitHub for all to use once it's done.   :D

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 12:21:00 am »
I just wanted to update here that I've released what I call version 6 of the firmware for the Galvant GPIBUSB adapter. This firmware is highly compatible with the Prologix command set. You can find it here: https://github.com/steve1515/gpibusb-firmware

This firmware allows the Galvant adapter to work with the regular version of lmester's HP 3478A control program. Binary read/write works as well, so the meter calibration can be read and written.
  :)

Offline Ringmodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2019, 03:45:57 pm »
Hi lmester,

thank you for this programm.

It works with a Emanuele Girlando Arduino GPIB adapter.
My first contact with a Arduino board.

Could backup the cal data of my two HP 3478a.

One question: What is the "X-Ohm" measurement function?

Chris

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 01:59:28 pm »
I just wanted to update here that I've released what I call version 6 of the firmware for the Galvant GPIBUSB adapter. This firmware is highly compatible with the Prologix command set. You can find it here: https://github.com/steve1515/gpibusb-firmware

This firmware allows the Galvant adapter to work with the regular version of lmester's HP 3478A control program. Binary read/write works as well, so the meter calibration can be read and written.
  :)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the new firmware!
I can confirm that it works with the regular version for reading of the calibration constants but not for writing. Can you post the interface settings and the .cfg file that works for you?

Thanks,
Miti

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2019, 04:18:26 am »
Hi Miti.

Below you will find what I'm using for settings.

When writing the updated firmware, I also created a program that reads/writes and displays detailed calibration information. My program is compatible with lmester's calibration files as well. Can you try out my program and see if writes are working when you use the updated firmware? lmester's program and mine should be using the same commands over GPIB. I'm interested to hear if my program works for you or also fails.

My Program: https://github.com/steve1515/hp3478a-calibration
Download: https://github.com/steve1515/hp3478a-calibration/releases

Here is what I used for settings:

Here are the contents of my config file:
F1
R0
N5
Z1
T1
HP3478A
log
log
I
M
M
D1
D:\Downloads\HP3478A\log\
GPIB
Unused value
Unused value
Unused value

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2019, 01:11:40 pm »
I've been notified that my program is not working with the current release of the ar488 Arduino firmware (0.47.53). It is working with the 0.46.03 version. Until this problem is resolved you should use the 0.46.03 ar488 firmware.

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 02:51:26 am »
I believe Miti is using my customized Galvant GPIB-USB firmware version 6 and not the Arduino. I just want to clear this up in case there is any confusion.

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 04:10:26 am »
I believe Miti is using my customized Galvant GPIB-USB firmware version 6 and not the Arduino. I just want to clear this up in case there is any confusion.

Yes, I'm using your "v6" firmware but I think lmester's comment was in general, it wasn't addressed to me. I will give your program a try in the next couple of days.

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2019, 02:49:31 pm »

Yes, I'm using your "v6" firmware but I think lmester's comment was in general, it wasn't addressed to me. I will give your program a try in the next couple of days.

Sorry for the confusion. Miti is correct. This was a general comment only for users of the Arduino with ar488 firmware. I'm working with the ar488 author to solve this problem. First will be some comparisons of the responses of my real Prologix adapter and the Arduino Prologix clone.

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2019, 12:48:20 am »
Hi Steve,

I tested your program. Reading seems ok, writing is unstable. could be the interface? These are the messages that I've got:

ERROR: Failed while writing calibration data to instrument.
Extended Error Information:
Failed while verifying calibration data in instrument SRAM.

Operation completed successfully.

Failed while verifying calibration data in instrument SRAM.

Invalid GPIB adapter version string.

Could not communicate with instrument.

Writing calibration data to instrument...
Operation completed successfully.

I added it to my collection of utilities anyway.
Thanks!!

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2019, 02:32:10 am »
Miti,

When it writes it reads back to verify. I believe it's this step that's failing. Do you have the switch on the front panel turned to cal mode? If this switch isn't turned it should cause this.

Although, if you read and then write back the exact same data, then it should succeed even if cal mode is not turned on since the verify would pass since the data is the same.

Does the data read look kind of ok? I wonder if there's an issue with your SRAM.

I wonder if anyone else would be able to try out my firmware with the Galvant just to make sure there aren't any issues. Hmm...   :-BROKE

EDIT: Just noticed that you also are getting errors getting the version string. I if you open a terminal window can you issue "++ver" and see if that works? The GPIB-USB should return a version string.

--Steve
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:35:14 am by steve1515 »

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2019, 03:48:42 am »
Steve,

I decided to try your software. You may be interested to know that it works good with a real Prologix adapter!

No luck with the Arduino. I had to add a delay in my code to get it to connect to the Arduino. The Arduino starts it's boot loader whenever the COM port is opened. It takes about two seconds from opening the port until the Arduino bails out of the boot loader and starts running application code.  Do you have any delay after opening the COM port?

Also, I like the way you show the cal gain and offset. If you don't mind, i'd like to use some of your code to add that feature to mine.

--- save cal using Prologix ---

D:\Junk\cal>hp3478acalibration.exe -f file.cal -r 6
Reading calibration data from instrument...
Instrument contains valid calibration data.
Writing calibration data to file...
Operation complete.

Calibration     Raw              Raw
#   Entry           Offset  Offset   Gain   Gain      Checksum
--  --------------  ------  -------  -----  --------  --------
01        30 mV DC  000310      310  2CCCE  1.015558  C7
02       300 mV DC  000031       31  2CC3F  1.015629  CF
03          3 V DC  000004        4  2CCF5  1.015595  CD
04         30 V DC  999994       -6  1521F  1.015209  B6
05        300 V DC  000000        0  152DE  1.015168  DC
06      <not used>  000000        0  00000  1.000000  FF
07            AC V  999502     -498  14F45  1.013945  C0
08    30 Ohm 2W/4W  999904      -96  050DE  1.004968  B7
09   300 Ohm 2W/4W  999991       -9  054EE  1.005378  AC
10    3 kOhm 2W/4W  999999       -1  05344  1.005344  B9
11   30 kOhm 2W/4W  999999       -1  0512C  1.005116  B5
12  300 kOhm 2W/4W  999999       -1  0522F  1.005219  B1
13    3 MOhm 2W/4W  999999       -1  052D1  1.005171  B4
14   30 MOhm 2W/4W  999999       -1  0524F  1.005239  AF
15       300 mA DC  000260      260  3EF50  1.027950  D2
16           3A DC  000025       25  3E00D  1.027997  DA
17      <not used>  000000        0  00000  1.000000  FF
18    300 mA/3A AC  999502     -498  3C3F2  1.026292  BA
19      <not used>  000000        0  00000  1.000000  FF

--- save cal using ar488 ---
--- Note that AR488 does return the substring "GPIB" for ++ver ---

D:\Junk\cal>hp3478acalibration.exe -f file.cal -r 6
Reading calibration data from instrument...
ERROR: Failed while reading calibration data from instrument.

D:\Junk\cal>

--- program settings ---

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<Settings>

<!--Serial Port Settings-->
  <SerialPort>
    <PortName>COM11</PortName>
    <BaudRate>460800</BaudRate>
    <DataBits>8</DataBits>
    <Parity>None</Parity> <!--Parity = None, Odd, Even, Mark, Space-->
    <StopBits>One</StopBits> <!--StopBits = One, OnePointFive, Two-->
    <FlowControl>None</FlowControl> <!--FlowControl = None, RequestToSend, RequestToSendXOnXOff, XOnXOff-->
  </SerialPort>

<!--GPIB Adapter Settings-->
  <GPIBAdapter>
    <Timeout>1000</Timeout> <!--Serial/GPIB Timeout (mSec)-->
    <VersionString>GPIB</VersionString> <!--Command '++ver' return value must contain this string.-->
  </GPIBAdapter>

</Settings>

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2019, 11:24:28 am »
Also, I like the way you show the cal gain and offset. If you don't mind, i'd like to use some of your code to add that feature to mine.

Hi lmester,

If you do that, can you also add edit function to the program? This way one can adjust the offset or gain of a particular function in decimal, the program then calculates the hex and checksum and saves to a new calibration file.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:26:06 am by Miti »

Offline steve1515

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2019, 09:22:22 pm »
Hi lmester,

There is maybe a 200 mSec delay when starting up, but once you connect to the COM port at the correct baud rate it should work.

Feel free to use the code, but please add attribution. Thanks! :)

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2019, 04:52:06 am »
Miti,

That's a great idea! It'd be really great to be able to tweak up the gain and/or offset without going through a full calibration.  With it's input shorted my meter shows a small negative reading on some resistance ranges. It could use some offset adjustment. And, now that we can easily save the cal data, you could revert back to an earlier cal if you mess things up by tweaking the cal entries.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 02:50:35 pm by lmester »

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2019, 11:12:02 am »
With it's input shorted my meter shows a small negative reading on some resistance ranges. It could use some offset adjustment.

Does it show that negative reading in both, 2W and 4W? Keep in mind that this meter can only be calibrated in one mode, which seems stupid to me.

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2019, 03:16:12 pm »
!!! update !!!  12/7/2019

Unfortunately I've found some more problems with my program and  the new AR488 firmware.

Use the 0.46.03  AR488 firmware until I solve all of the problems.

Sorry about this :-(

--------- old post ------

A problem with my software and the AR488 arduino firmware has been solved.

If you're having problems connecting to your meter using the AR488 firmware you can correct the problem by downloading the 0.47.59 version: https://github.com/Twilight-Logic/AR488

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 08:38:03 am by lmester »

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2019, 06:28:47 am »
A new version is available with the ability to adjust an instrument calibration entry.

You can now adjust the gain and offset values for a calibration entry. You can use this to adjust the calibration without going through the full calibration procedure for the instrument.

This is from a request from Miti.

This code was made much easier thanks to code from Steve Matos (Steve1515).  He provided code that converted the compressed instrument cal data into a gain and offset value. I only had to reverse his algorithm to compress the gain and offset back into the cal data storage format.

When you click the "Update cal." button the new cal data will be written to the instrument.

Make sure that the cal enable switch is turned on or the cal write will fail.

Warning! Be careful with this. It gives you a quick and easy way to trash the instrument calibration.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 07:01:24 am by lmester »

The following users thanked this post: steve1515, coromonadalix, Photoman, Ringmodulator

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2019, 03:04:34 pm »
Maybe  just maybe,  force the user to do a backup  before using this cal data interface ???

Surely  someone will do this mistake and learn from it ??

Online Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2019, 01:43:21 am »
Will your application also work with  3457?  I have mine at the cal lab right now and would like to back it up right out of the shop.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2019, 05:47:46 am »
Maybe  just maybe,  force the user to do a backup  before using this cal data interface ???

Surely  someone will do this mistake and learn from it ??

coromonadalix,

I'd thought of doing some type of auto cal backup. I'd need a way to do it that would work without being a nuisance for someone that's adjusting their instrument's cal. you could enter the edit cal window many times while adjusting the cal data. A dialog to save a backup cal file each time would get old very quickly.

One possibility would be to automatically save a copy of the current instrument cal into the program cfg folder whenever edit cal was selected. This would be easy to code since the edit cal window already reads the current calibration data when it's opened. To make this automatic, I'd need to add a date/time stamp to the cal file name. A minor problem with this is that the cfg folder could have a lot of cal update log files in it. Not a big problem since the files are small. Also, if the user has multiple instruments, they'd need to determine which instrument the cal update logs came from.

There is some protection already available with my program and with the instrument.

First, you need to turn on the front panel cal enable switch.

Next, you get a final warning from my program before new cal data is written.

Any suggestions on how to make the edit cal feature safer but still easy to use would be welcome.

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2019, 05:56:42 am »
Will your application also work with  3457?  I have mine at the cal lab right now and would like to back it up right out of the shop.

I did a quick look through the 3457 docs.  It's unlikely that my program would work. Calibration requires that the user enters a PIN code to enable calibration. This may not even be possible through the GPIB interface. Much different than the hardware cal enable switch on the HP3478A.

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2019, 09:07:57 am »
The user Miti has informed me that there is a problem with my instrument calibration update function. If you enter a gain value above 1.055555 my program will write an incorrect gain value into the instrument. Until I resolve this bug, you should only enter gain values below 1.055555. Also, you should verify the new gain value by exiting and then re-enter the cal update window.  Verify that the current cal gain data read from the instrument matches the value that you saved.

I'm sorry about this problem.

Once I determine what's wrong I'll release an updated version.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2019, 09:40:54 am »
@ lmester   a warning popup  should be fine to warn user of the possibility to smash the instrument calibration.

For the backups, i dont know if you can poke an serial number thru the gpib port via some commands  ??
and create a file   snxxxxxx-date xxxxxx-time xxxxxx   and manage all this ?? 

I think the simplest solution  would be per use basis,  one software use / one instrument, if a person has 2x, 3x 3478 meters in a chain and does a mistake .......   sure the cal switch is a good protection.

I dont know if the meter can operate under "calibration" at on position ??  sadly i dont own these meters

You know  when we say dont do this and that loll  someone will do it  loll

And thks for the time put in this great piece of software
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:43:09 am by coromonadalix »

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2019, 07:54:11 am »
@ lmester   a warning popup  should be fine to warn user of the possibility to smash the instrument calibration.

For the backups, i dont know if you can poke an serial number thru the gpib port via some commands  ??
and create a file   snxxxxxx-date xxxxxx-time xxxxxx   and manage all this ?? 

I think the simplest solution  would be per use basis,  one software use / one instrument, if a person has 2x, 3x 3478 meters in a chain and does a mistake .......   sure the cal switch is a good protection.

I dont know if the meter can operate under "calibration" at on position ??  sadly i dont own these meters

You know  when we say dont do this and that loll  someone will do it  loll

And thks for the time put in this great piece of software

First, the instrument will operate when in "calibration" mode.  It just shows a "C" appended to the reading. Also, the instrument has no way to read it's serial number through GPIB. It'd be great to be able to automatically add a serial number to the cal data file. It's just not possible with this instrument. The best solution is probably just to dump a time/date stamped file to the user's hard drive before each cal edit.

Right now I'm working on the more important problem of why my program is limited in the range of cal gain values that can be properly sent to the instrument. This may just be a problem with my program range checks. I may be allowing the user to input invalid cal data. More work and talk with the original author of the calibration decode algorithm is needed.

How much protection do you need to have for operator errors? I remember a quote from many decades ago:

"You can try to goof-proof a system. Unfortunately the goof can allways be bigger than the proof!"

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2019, 02:32:45 pm »
Well said  lmester

I hope you find the little buggar in the software   

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2020, 05:08:02 am »
I've released an updated version of the software.

This version should work without problems with the current version of the AR488 Arduino firmware. If you use an Arduino based GPIB adapter and have any problems please let me know!

Updates to the edit calibration feature:
It seems that I was allowing invalid data to be entered for the gain entry.
The range check for gain now allows a value from 1 to 1.055555.
The allowed offset range is -100000 to 899999.

I added an automatic backup of the calibration data.
When you write calibration data, a file with the previous data will be saved in the cfg (config) folder.
The date and time are appended to the filename. Here is an example filename.
CALBackup_2020_01_01_02_53_14.cal
The file uses the normal .cal file format and can be sent to the instrument using the "Write calibration" function.

Fixed bug with reading instrument settings on program start:

When you start the program you have two options for instrument settings:
You can use the current settings or write the settings saved in the program config file to the instrument.
The program was not properly reading the current settings.
This has now been corrected.

Minor GUI layout problems with Windows 10:
I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. With Win 10 I noticed that some of the radio button controls were overlapping and not displayed properly. This version corrects the problem.

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2020, 05:43:12 pm »
Kirill added Prologix support to his adapter and it works with Lmester's program.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/project-extending-hp3478a-functionality/new/#new

A big thanks to both, Kirill and Lmester!

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2020, 01:13:36 am »
Here is another update to the software.

https://mesterhome.com/gpibsw/hp3478a/index.html

I fixed more bugs in the gain edit feature. I've also updated the range checks to permit gain values from 0.911112 to 1.077777.

Thanks to fenugrec and steve1515!

The following users thanked this post: Miti, coromonadalix, Ringmodulator

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2020, 07:50:49 pm »
Luke,

I did extensive testing on multiple ranges using Kirill's adapter. It works flawlessly. Thanks a lot!
I also want to say thank you to Kirill, Fenugrec and Steve1515.

Offline PixieDust

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2020, 03:40:38 pm »
Does your software work with the Prologix ethernet variant?

Also does anyone know a good reason why the Prologix clone has the GPIB connector and USB connector on the same face of the unit?

Also, did I read correctly on your web page that therDalton clone doesn't work?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:44:43 pm by PixieDust »

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2020, 04:44:11 pm »
Do somebody know If there is a software that kind of here (maybe this software here) but useable with prologix / Fluke 8840A?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2020, 10:47:00 pm »
Just great. Nobody is doing 3478 integration for that HKJ software
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/?topicseen
now I find this, and find out that I have the wrong type of adaptor (NI USB<>GPIB). Somewhere is a PCMCIA card adaptor - would this work?
Else I have to hunt for a Prologix one. :palm:

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2020, 06:38:23 pm »
Does your software work with the Prologix ethernet variant?

Also does anyone know a good reason why the Prologix clone has the GPIB connector and USB connector on the same face of the unit?

Also, did I read correctly on your web page that therDalton clone doesn't work?

My software only works with serial Prologix adapters. My Dalton adapter is not working. Current versions of my software have not been tested with the Dalton adapter. The software may still work. It's just not been tested with the Dalton.

The following users thanked this post: PixieDust

Offline PixieDust

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2020, 01:59:35 am »
Gocha.

Offline sairfan1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2021, 09:50:05 pm »
I did not noticed that is software was written for HP3478A i was trying it with my HP3457A and it worked but when i tried it again it never worked again, is there a way that i can use it with 3457A as believe both models are very close

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2021, 02:44:40 am »
I did not noticed that is software was written for HP3478A i was trying it with my HP3457A and it worked but when i tried it again it never worked again, is there a way that i can use it with 3457A as believe both models are very close

I looked at the command syntax for the HP3457A. It's quite different than the HP3478A. No chance that this program will work correctly with the HP3457A. Sorry.

Offline porter

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2022, 09:12:25 pm »
I downloaded the cal constants from my 3478a through a AR488 adapter successfully using your program. It worked out of the box with no configuration changes.

Thank You.

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2022, 07:12:48 pm »
Hi Luke,

I remember this program was running very well but look what i see after replacing my PC in the lab. Is this something that you can fix?

Thanks,
Miti

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2022, 09:19:52 pm »
It runs fine on win10 and 11 in y case, i dont now why  but at first   it was like the picture shown

@ MITI   do you have the latest version ??

https://mesterhome.com/gpibsw/hp3478a/Software/

those who are ending with 2020 ??

or the HP3478A.zip  ??  october 21   2022 ??

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2022, 09:39:15 pm »
I have the one that was released on 04/18/2020, I think it is the latest.
My OS is Win7.

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2022, 10:12:26 pm »
I figured it out, it is my text size. It is set to 125%. If I set it to 100% it looks ok but my eyes aren't what they used to be so I need 125%. Is it possible to make it independent of the text size?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 10:14:27 pm by Miti »

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2022, 02:04:13 am »
As Miti said it is caused by screen scaling not set to 100%. Unfortunately the compiler that I'm using does not support screen scaling.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2022, 02:24:06 am »
you would need ressource editor (reshack or equivalents)   and resize the window(s)  texts placements etc ....   tried it  and it worked, but i did not kept the moddified file

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2022, 06:53:20 am »
Try the disable display scaling check box.  Sample photo attached.

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2022, 03:44:40 am »
The last time I tested my program with display scaling was with Windows 7 or possibly 8. I just tried it with windows 10. My program does not have any problems on my Windows 10 machine.

What version of Windows are you using?

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2022, 03:52:20 am »
It is Win 7.

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2022, 04:29:36 am »
Miti,

My program was written using a fixed size window. This was done because I'm not an expert Windows GUI programmer. I don't want to write and debug all of the extra code that's needed for a resizable window.

It's sized to fit on an 800x600 desktop. It may be time to bump that up to a bigger size. Possibly 1024x768. That will be about 28% larger.

I have two 1280x1024 monitors on my PC. These monitors are over 10 years old. Current monitors are wide screen format with much higher resolution.

The important question is: How many people are still using 800x600 as their desktop resolution?

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2022, 04:38:52 am »
unless you are using an old lappy or pc ??     I think  1024x768  would be nicer ?

Better on my 32"  monitors  loll

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2022, 04:50:56 am »
The important question is: How many people are still using 800x600 as their desktop resolution?

Not many I would assume. If you do some pcb design you definitely need full hd and eventually two monitors. I recently changed my lab pc from a NUC with a 1680x1050 monitor to an old Lenovo laptop with full 1080 display plus the old monitor as secondary. You don’t need to put any extra effort into this program for me, I just didn’t know where the issue was.

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2022, 10:15:48 pm »
Try the disable display scaling check box.  Sample photo attached.

That doesn’t work for me.

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2022, 02:17:28 am »

I have added a new version of the program with a larger main window size. It's now sized for a 1024x768 or larger desktop. To do this I had to add an adjustable scale for the GUI object locations and for adjustable font sizes.

Miti

This won't directly fix the windows 7 scaling problem but will allow you to correct it.

Look in the source code at line 156. This is where screen scaling and font size is set. Try decreasing the three font sizes until the text displays properly. You'll need to re-compile the code after adjusting these settings.

'   Screen Scaling:
'   1.0 is 750x550,  1.25 will set screen to 960x687

xs=1.25              'X axis scale multiplier
    ys=1.25              'Y axis scale multiplier   
    FontMeter$="64"      'meter display font size 48-64
    FontMain$="14"       'Main window text font size 10-14
    FontTerminal$="12"   'Instrument status font size 10-12

nomainwin

WindowWidth = 750*xs ' 960 '750
    WindowHeight = 550*ys '687  '550
    UpperLeftX=int((DisplayWidth-WindowWidth)/2)
    UpperLeftY=int((DisplayHeight-WindowHeight)/2)

'-----Begin menu code

menu #main, "&File  ",_
                "Log file"     , LogFile,_
                "Load settings", [LoadSet],_
                "Save settings", [SaveSet],|,_
                "Exit"         , [quit.main]
    menu #main, "Settings"     ,_
                "Default settings", [LoadDef],_
                "Read/Write calibration", [CalWin],_
                "Edit calibration", [CalEdWin]
    '-----End menu code

'-----Begin GUI objects code
    TexteditorColor$ = "white"
    TextboxColor$ = "white"
    texteditor #main.Terminal,                                                               480*xs, 275*ys, 255*xs, 215*ys
    groupbox #main.GBTrigger, "Trigger",                                                     485*xs,  92*ys,  95*xs, 145*ys
    groupbox #main.GBAutoZ, "Auto zero",                                                     340*xs, 247*ys, 125*xs,  75*ys
    groupbox #main.GBRange, "Range",                                                         10*xs, 147*ys, 300*xs, 175*ys
    groupbox #main.GBFunction, "Function",                                                   10*xs,  92*ys, 455*xs,  50*ys
    groupbox #main.GBLog, "Log file",                                                        10*xs, 327*ys, 170*xs,  90*ys

The source code is included in the zip file. Also, the compiler is freeware.  you can download it from here:http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/lbb/

The following users thanked this post: Miti, coromonadalix

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2023, 08:32:02 pm »
Hi Luke,

I have Kaspersky free installed on my computer and all of a sudden today, after years of having and using your software, Kaspersky deleted multiple version of this application because it thinks is infected with VHO:Trojan.Win32.Convagent.gen. I tried to download it again from your site and it doesn't let me.
Do you know what can cause this? Something in the SW behavior that looks like a trojan, or Kaspersky went crazy? Real trojan?

Thanks,
Miti

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2023, 06:30:07 pm »
Now it won't even allow me to download anything from your site. It says:
"Visiting a dangerous website has been prevented"

What is going on? Has Kaspersky gone nuts? Can other people check with different antivirus SW?

https://mesterhome.com/gpibsw/hp3478a/Software/

Thanks,
Miti

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2023, 07:34:05 pm »
kill your  A.V  and retry  ???
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 06:32:17 pm by coromonadalix »

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2023, 07:44:29 pm »
I had the same problem with Windows Defender a few years ago. I reported the problem to them and they published a revised virus scan file to correct the problem.

Here is a link to report to Kaspersky:

https://forum.kaspersky.com/topic/kaspersky-how-to-report-false-positive-22328/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 07:48:19 pm by lmester »

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2023, 07:39:00 pm »
I tested my program files on my work computer. It's running Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. This is the enterprise version of the microsoft security software. No virus was found in the files. Definitely a false positive.

The following users thanked this post: Miti

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2024, 06:15:09 pm »
I have users of my HP 3478A multimeter control software that are getting checksum errors when trying to read the calibration data. This is happening with newer AR488 firmware versions. Older firmware works fine.

My program works with AR488 0.49.14 but fails with AR488 0.51.18.

If you have checksum fails you should check your firmware version. You may need to downgrade until I find the cause of this problem.

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix, adinsen

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2024, 06:23:29 pm »
Same here,  no problems with antivirus  and  downgraded the firmware ...  but not using 3478, im using other 344xx series

Offline adinsen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2024, 03:59:50 pm »
Your software made my day! I bought a 3478A a few weeks ago and was becoming anxious that the battery would run out as it was older than I thought when I bought it. The battery is impressively still at 3.5V even though its date coded 11/87. So I was happy when I received the PCBs for AR488 today from JLCPCB, I got the 24pin connectors from Digikey earlier this week.

As you note above, I had to install AR488 0.49.14 firmware from the archived ZIP file in the github repository to make it work. I checked the AR488 issue tracker https://github.com/Twilight-Logic/AR488/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue and there's apparantly nothing reported there about the problem. We should. Is there a way to dump the communication between your software and the AR488 for debugging?

The automatic GPIB address search and edit calibration data dialogue are very nice features of your software!

I've observed a bug that sometimes it display Ohms instead of DCV. Clicking the function radio button corrects the display, so it's just a minor source of confusion. See screenshot.

Thanks a lot for your work  :-+

/Anders

Offline ultrasmurf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2024, 09:54:09 am »
Hi guys, just scored a cheap working 3478A. And after failing to write program to talk to the gpib I stumble to this program. Now I need some help because it seems that the gpib is only somewhat working (this is definitely the reason i fail to write the program... not my programming skill.... ;))
If I use this beautiful program, and set my gpib address at 6 (seems to be the value of the setting for the software as downloaded), it can somehow connect to the multimeter. I need to press the reset button, and then i can press the start button and get it to read the measurement and display it on the software.
During start up the software recognize the com port and set it correctly but will fail at detecting gpib.
If I press reset, it will say comm failure, but I can hear clicking in the multimeter, and after this if i press start button it will display correct measurement.
If I try to read cal data it will say comm fail.
If I set my gpib address to anything other than 6 I can still hear the multimeter responding when I click reset, but it will not allow my to start and will only show comm fail.

Any pointer as to where I should look at ? Or way to test the gpib ?

Thanks a bunch...

Offline ultrasmurf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2024, 02:45:28 am »
Just a quick update,

Ofcourse everything now works... no idea what was it. Might be the PC. Now it scan and found the gpib address and communicate with the multimeter like a champ. Reading calibration data without issue.  :palm:

Offline adinsen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2024, 04:25:09 am »
Great to hear! Mine sometimes takes a few tries before I get it to connect. I think it's the windows stack of COM-USB drivers but once it's working, it's rock-stable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf