Author Topic: FSP30/40 embedded windows xp for spectrum analyzer.  (Read 5879 times)

Offline g7kbr67Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: FSP30/40 embedded windows xp for spectrum analyzer.
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2022, 04:56:58 pm »
Hi

Is this the process to see the backup/retore point for windows xp?

Launch
Windows Explorer and go to Tools | Folder Options and click the View tab.
Select
the Show Hidden Files And Folders option button,
clear the Hide Protected Operating System Files check box, and click the Yes
button in the Warning dialog box. (If the system is in a workgroup, you’ll
need to clear the Use Simple File Sharing check box as well.) Click OK to
close the Folder Options dialog box.
Access
the root directory of the hard disk, right click on the System Volume
Information folder, select Properties and access the Security tab.
Click
the Add button, enter your user account name in the Select Users,
Computers, or Groups dialog box and click OK twice.
Now you can now access the System Volume Information folder
and view the files.

In order to ensure the security of the Restore Point files, you
should remove your user account from the System Volume Information folder once
you’ve finished your investigation.

Note: These steps
only apply to Windows XP Professional using NTFS.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2022, 05:40:52 pm »
Hi DavidAlfa

I now have visible the system volume information folder, but via my windows 10 machine I can access the folder.  See screenshot attached.

Regards

Paul

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2022, 07:44:00 pm »
well i think you're not understanding a few things  ... you're going too far for nothing

Do you have the instrument original files, a hard drive backup of your instrument before a complete installation  or iso  and or  backup files of your instrument, not from your personal computer

EDIT    im downloading your file from ko4bb.com   ill check  a few things
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 07:49:35 pm by coromonadalix »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2022, 07:52:28 pm »
Hi

Ok well , so I have a XP built on a SATA drive on the FSP40.  All I have is the original flash drive which was inside the unit.  This holds the following files: it (screenshot attached) has two drive letters.

Think like you said going down the route of an install on XP.

I need to know what I have on the old flash drive, can I install the R&S SA user interface.

I don't know what needs to be installed on the fresh XP drive?

Regards

Paul

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2022, 08:05:25 pm »
im still downloading

see this :
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-manually-install-a-driver-in-windows-xp/

do a search on your  old sd card ....  it may take a while,  it should normally find them,  and you do this for each  unknown device error you have

well the K4obb  website 1.2 gig iso  is a hell to navigate  it was not properly done / created multi parts  ..... 

and the RS webiste files are a pain, they still assume you work with floppies ??

download from this link  :   https://www.sendspace.com/file/a1mbnu

Extract it,  in the  "FSP_450_SP5_GlorisZip"   folder you will see  "Disk 1"  folder, i have merged in it all the other cab files,  put this on an usb key  and start the setup.exe   it should go fine

for the "Extensions" folder,  "k40"  folder i did the same  as an example ....
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 08:44:51 pm by coromonadalix »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2022, 09:00:01 pm »
This is on my fresh install of windows xp? FSP_450_SP5_GlorisZip - 1.zip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2022, 09:10:47 pm »
Ok, it is installing onto the FSP40 now, FSP_450_SP5_GlorisZip - 1.zip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2022, 09:13:38 pm »
Do I need to run the "Extensions" folder, or not.  I wasn't sure from your post.

Offline JeremyC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2022, 02:24:34 am »
Hi All

My last Plea for help, I have posted a couple of emails about the issue.  The Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.   I took the top off and I have a Compact Flash drive with the following information on it. Part No. 1303.0417.07, Flash Disk for R&S FSP with Windows XP.

I don't have a Windows build embedded XP disk, or the analyzers build software and R&S have told me they can't help.  If only I had a friend who works in their repair\service department.

Could I just install a standard Windows XP build and install the firmware which I believe is still on the R&S website?  https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/firmware/fsp40/

I would need to know on the old drive as I can still read the drive if I put it in a caddy, where the calibration data is for it.

Otherwise, the unit is a dustbin job.

Any help would be much apricated.

Regards

Paul P

Paul, you should try to use "Virtualbox" VM (it's free). Install Windows XP in new VM, link one of your USB ports with the VM and you're set. You may create snapshots of the VM before beginning and if something would go wrong you can always roll back to the before iteration in ~1 minute.
Link to Virtualbox:  https://www.virtualbox.org/

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2022, 02:46:29 am »
this is my last help, i think there is some misunderstanding, language barriers  or novice level in theses kind of problems

https://www.sendspace.com/file/m51gtx

This is the system32 files of the 1.2 gig iso link of ealier threads, extract them on a usb key and make windows search manually for them

There was an "firmware" folder too included ???  maybe they are the missing drivers  ???

and one New folder with  3x installable  *.msi files,  i dont know what they are ....

good luck
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 12:02:29 pm by coromonadalix »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2022, 05:57:27 am »
Hi coromonadalix

Ok I really thank you for your help, but with please talk me through what I do with the three files, firmware, new folder and system 32.  Are these files for me to try and repair the old flash drive or for the new windows xp build?

I just need to understand what I need to do for the rebuild and I am sure I can sort this, i hope.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Paul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2022, 06:25:29 am »
Hi JeremyC

Thanks for the information.

Just need some guidance what I need to do to install the spectrum analyser back on the fresh install that is windows xp.

Regards

Paul

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2022, 10:43:34 am »
I just need to understand what I need to do for the rebuild and I am sure I can sort this, i hope.

This is the system32 files of the 1.2 gig iso link of ealier threads, extract them on a usb key and make windows search manually for them
To rephrase coromonadalix's advice: Extract the system32 folder from that archive (ignore the other folders for now), and for each of the unknown devices in Device Manager, select search for driver, select manually search and select the system32 folder as the folder to search. If you need even more detailed step-by-step instructions, maybe it would help to have someone more experienced in setting up Windows XP to help? This has very little to do with the spectrum analyzer and is just setting up Windows XP with obscure drivers.

It should at least install drivers for some of the unknown devices, if not all of them.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2022, 11:39:11 am »
Hi ALM

The Windows XP is at SP3 and the only hardware driver issues are shown in attached photo.

Thernet Controller
PCI Device
PCI Simple communication
Video controller
Video controller (VGA Compatible)

If I do a manual hardware drivers search and select the system32 folder, I don't get any updated drivers for these individual items.

I take it these are all relating to the motherboard inside the FSP40.

I am still not 100% sure where I get the actual software for the FSP40 spectrum analyser?  I know I can get firmware from the R & S website but is that only firmware.

Regards

Paul

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2022, 12:07:36 pm »

To rephrase coromonadalix's advice: Extract the system32 folder from that archive (ignore the other folders for now), and for each of the unknown devices in Device Manager, select search for driver, select manually search and select the system32 folder as the folder to search. If you need even more detailed step-by-step instructions, maybe it would help to have someone more experienced in setting up Windows XP to help? This has very little to do with the spectrum analyzer and is just setting up Windows XP with obscure drivers.

It should at least install drivers for some of the unknown devices, if not all of them.
There still is a possibility that the drivers are in a different directory. I'd take the entire image and search for all *.inf files in it. Maybe there is something that stands out like file in a Rohde & Schwarz or FSPxyz (xyz is whatever text) directory. And it is not uncommon for test equipment firmware to also include Windows drivers so the drivers may be installed in a directory when the application software is installed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 12:09:07 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2022, 12:20:37 pm »
Hi NCTNICO

Did do a search for the INF files and tried installing from the system32 folder.  But these are the motherboard drivers not the the actual R & S hardware modules.

It's so annoying I can't repair this 40GHz unit, knowing that all the mdules inside are ok, it's the corrupt operating system on the original flash card .

Flash card has
part no of 1303.0417.08 Labelled: Flash Disk for R & S FSP with windows XP.

Regards

Paul P

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2022, 12:48:40 pm »
Thernet Controller
PCI Device
PCI Simple communication
Video controller
My guess is that the unknown PCI device and PCI simple communication controller might be the devices that communicate with the RF hardware. Do the PCI device IDs resolve to anything common or to an unknown device with vendor R&S? There are PCI ID databases available online.

I am still not 100% sure where I get the actual software for the FSP40 spectrum analyser?  I know I can get firmware from the R & S website but is that only firmware.
If R&S doesn't make it available, then either from the downloads you already found or from the original drive. That's why I listed the availability of the custom drivers at the very beginning as a pre-requisite to make a Windows XP install do anything useful. Otherwise you just have a very big outdated desktop PC. After the drivers, the next challenge will be the the software.

Did do a search for the INF files and tried installing from the system32 folder.  But these are the motherboard drivers not the the actual R & S hardware modules.
Did you also search the original drive for .inf files? The installed drivers will likely be part of a file like OEM9.inf. which contains many other drivers. Let the driver installer worry about finding the driver within the .inf files.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2022, 01:49:53 pm »
Hi no, I haven't as yet, I don't have enough details of what FSP it is from it says NT4,  the FSP40 had XPE

Regards

Paul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2022, 02:18:35 pm »
What's the best way to install this iso onto a blank disk drive on the FSP40?

Regards

Paul

Offline Qw3rtzuiop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2022, 02:20:22 pm »
There is an NT image and this .iso with xp. You could use HDDrawcopy

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2022, 03:29:08 pm »
Not to be rude

I think you have to stop ...  and try to find someone beter experienced than you  for windows iso files and recovery procedures

Your equipment may be very good,   but you lack knowledge and experience,  and restarting a new setup installation can happen

For the errors you have,  you must learn  how to search  the hardwares id's  like  the VID and PID of the errors you have in the properties panel of each error

You have reading to do,  to help you understand what you are doing okay and are doing wrong

You could still use an older windows NT (Windows 2000) iso file to rebuild  and restart you equipment,  if it works okay, it will still be good

Between windows 2000  and windows XP  on some equipment, you wont gain very much, not speed, not efficiency, But it will work.

Try the KO4BB  iso file, restart a fresh setup and see  if it work  ...

I have seen your other answer on a other thread ..... 
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/rohdeschwarz-fsp-hdd-defect/

You have to be patient,  it can take  time to solve your problem,  and you dont need to dump your equipment

I had problems like this in the past, it took me 2 weeks of search for some drivers,  to restart an equipment

I had to mix drivers from many equipments to make it work ......
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 03:40:19 pm by coromonadalix »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2022, 05:03:20 pm »
Hi coromonadalix

Your not rude at all, unfortunately there isn't a document, which takes you through the process and what image works with which FSP40.

VID and PID, I have not delt with before, so yes, a learning curve.

I only put a question out in this feed, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/rohdeschwarz-fsp-hdd-defect/ this was to Jorg.

You are lucky you had many pieces of equipment to get the drivers from.  I don't unfortunately.

I tried the XP image and put this on a spare drive, but after selecting the analyser from the list, not the backup on the startup screen, i get the blue scrreen.

I could try the NT version, but I can't open TIB files, some sort of backup.

Regards

Paul

Offline JeremyC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2022, 08:15:06 pm »
Hi coromonadalix

Your not rude at all, unfortunately there isn't a document, which takes you through the process and what image works with which FSP40.

VID and PID, I have not delt with before, so yes, a learning curve.

I only put a question out in this feed, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/rohdeschwarz-fsp-hdd-defect/ this was to Jorg.

You are lucky you had many pieces of equipment to get the drivers from.  I don't unfortunately.

I tried the XP image and put this on a spare drive, but after selecting the analyser from the list, not the backup on the startup screen, i get the blue scrreen.

I could try the NT version, but I can't open TIB files, some sort of backup.

Regards

Paul

Paul, I checked the XP image and it’s image of Fujitsu MHT2030AT IDE hard drive. To my knowledge Windows XP didn’t have out of box SATA driver and it maybe the cause of BOD.
Suggestion:
- Connect the drive to you main computer using SATA-USB converter.
- Create virtual machine with this drive and make sure the VM uses IDE controller.
- Boot the virtual machine and install SATA driver for Windows XP, or apply Windows XP SP3.
- Shutdown the VM, move this hard drive back to your FSP and see if it works.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2022, 05:19:10 am »
This XP version has slipstreamed SATA drivers  it seems

https://archive.org/details/windows-xp-professional-sp-3-nov-2013-inc-sata-drivers

32 and 64 bits ??  but not so sure for the 64 bit .... wich is not  needed in this case

Slipstream:  is a way to add into an cd installation more drivers than the original microsoft version(s), a time consuming process ...  i did a few times   

@JeremyC    i'm not sure the OP  even understand  what it means to play with VM disks or machine .... that's why i never talked about this possibility

@g7kbr67    try to show us   each error you have  AND  the hardware ID  like VID and PID,  you responses are there YOU need  to show us ...     Tell us the motherboard type if you can,  the motherboard chipset

You have free utilities like  CPU-Z,  you run it  and take some pictures  of the information it give on the panels it has  ... it could help you and us 

The:

Ethernet Controller
PCI Device
PCI Simple communication
Video controller

Could be all motherboard related,  PCI Device / Pci Simple Communication and or Video Controller could be sometimes the interface between the "Pc side" and the "Instrument side"

You need to dig out theses informations

check at 1:00  minutes and up

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf