Author Topic: 100 MHz Logic Analyzer which is way overpriced!  (Read 5494 times)

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
100 MHz Logic Analyzer which is way overpriced!
« on: October 19, 2014, 10:02:06 pm »
This is a 100 MHz Logic Analyzer with a list price of 3000 USD. Why is it so expensive? =)
http://www.globalspecialties.com/test-equipment/diagnostic-instruments/item/14-3600.html

This Logic Analyzer seems to be exactly the same as the SA8320 from Wellzion:
http://www.wellzion.com/Products/Signal_Generator&Analyzer/Stand-alone_Logic_Analyzer/Stand-alone_Logic_Analyzer/SA8320/

The SA8320 from Wellzion sells much cheaper on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/SA8320-32-Kanal-Logik-Analysator-Logic-Analyzer-mit-USB-und-RS-232-OWON-Rigol-/141131146654?pt=Mess_Pr%C3%BCftechnik&hash=item20dc12659e

Although cheaper (1000 EUR), that is still a lot of money for a 32-Channel 100 MHz Logic Analyzer =)

I actually compared the specs from both Logic Analyzers, and they are 100% identical!

Wellzion SA8320 specs: (listed for 1000 euro)
http://www.wellzion.com/manager/ue/asp/upload/20140710/14049843106983396.pdf

Global Specialties Model 3600 specs: (listed for 3000 USD = 2300 EUR)
http://www.globalspecialties.com/test-equipment/diagnostic-instruments/download/860_74fa2c866a218995b4e870b233f63ce2.html

Someone is taking a huge margin here (1300 EUR delta price difference).
Global Specialties focuses on the educational market. The customers are universities and colleges with big budgets =)

Even 1000 EUR as such is way too much, as for that money you can get a nice Rigol MSO2000 series scope with LA functionality. Good luck to the Ebay seller :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:50:40 pm by pascal_sweden »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Global Specialties Model 3600 32-Channel Logic Analyzer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 10:26:18 pm »
100Ms/s and only 260ksamples of memory for $3000? What year is it? 1980? Not even some bus decoding?? I'm outta here :scared: Selling this kind of crap is criminal.

For that kind of money you definitely can get a real (used) logic analyser from Tektronix or Agilent. Or a new MSO which will do 99% of the logic analyses functions you'll ever need.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:28:09 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: 100 MHz Logic Analyzer which is way overpriced!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 01:36:57 am »
Bloody hell. Get a used 167xx on ebay, slap in one or two acquisition boards and for 400$ youll have a machine that runs circles around these toys.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:46:15 am »
blah blah know what you're buying blah blah.

ANYONE (and I do mean anyone) can avoid overpriced stuff like this if they simply exercise a little patience and spend a bit of time learning.

Also, I believe that if someone has the money to burn, and is not willing to be patient and do the tiniest amount of research, that sellers have the obligation to take advantage of them.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:24:16 am »
This is a 100 MHz Logic Analyzer with a list price of 3000 USD. Why is it so expensive? =)
http://www.globalspecialties.com/test-equipment/diagnostic-instruments/item/14-3600.html
Global Specialities way once a good source of a lots of electronics odds and ends. However, if you look at the front page of their web site now, it looks like they have move completely to the educational market. Education is always a good place for setting high prices.

Offline LoyalServant

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:34:31 am »
Global Specialities way once a good source of a lots of electronics odds and ends. However, if you look at the front page of their web site now, it looks like they have move completely to the educational market. Education is always a good place for setting high prices.

Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to education.
It's expensive for a reason.. this is one of those reasons.

Have to agree with @Rigby, and would go further.. if [insert institution of higher learning here] fails to research their kit they also deserve to get ripped off.
Here in the states they are flush with cash. They would spend 3 times that on the same instrument and not even bat an eye.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • If you can buy it for 4$ on eBay, why design it?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 03:25:54 am »

Have to agree with @Rigby, and would go further.. if [insert institution of higher learning here] fails to research their kit they also deserve to get ripped off.
Here in the states they are flush with cash. They would spend 3 times that on the same instrument and not even bat an eye.

Education needs a Smedley Butler.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 03:30:27 am »

Wasn't he a total failure at changing any of the crooked practices he fought against?

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 07:34:15 am »
It is only the list price of $3000. By this the sales man can offer the purchaser a discount of 50% if they buy two ..... and who can say "no" to a 50% discount....

Want a good logic analyzer? With professional software (but sometimes crude interface)?
Get an Intronix Logicport for $389. Best bang for you buck if you want something really good. Though, if you only do some I2C logging, a cheap Saleae would be sufficent for you.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 08:58:56 am »
Though, if you only do some I2C logging, a cheap Saleae would be sufficent for you.

Saleae are hardly cheap.

For the price of an 8-channel Saleae you can get a RIGOL DS1054Z. That can do I2C decoding (2 I2C buses) ... plus you get a free oscilloscope.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:30:23 am by Fungus »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 11:21:47 am »
Get an Intronix Logicport for $389. Best bang for you buck if you want something really good.
I disagree. Better spend that money on an entry level MSO (with protocol decoding). I have used the Logicport but the memory is way too small for anything serious. Even with compression enabled you run into memory limits quickly.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 01:02:31 pm »

Education requires at least 110/220V tolerant probe inputs, at least if it is used in high schools. Don't underestimte the destructive power of bored high school kids.

Offline Creep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 02:33:49 pm »
What in the world might be a target subject in HIGHSCHOOL that requires a friggin logic analyser? Maybe (but just maybe) I would understand that under some circumstances if a teacher could show the logic analyser in action, but dear lord, I can't imagine what kind of experiments in highschool would need a LA.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 08:42:12 pm »
What in the world might be a target subject in HIGHSCHOOL that requires a friggin logic analyser? Maybe (but just maybe) I would understand that under some circumstances if a teacher could show the logic analyser in action, but dear lord, I can't imagine what kind of experiments in highschool would need a LA.

Even 40 years ago my school had oscilloscopes that we could use at lunchtime for our own fun and games (they were very occasionally used in advanced physics classes, but I forget the reason).

Times change, robotics are here, LAs become less irrelevant.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Creep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 10:01:28 pm »
Guess I live in the wrong country then. I graduated from the top gymnasium in the country and I've never heard of any scopes being available to students for poking around. Not even sure if any of the schools own a scope.
Well, maybe in some sort of robotics club or something, it might be usefull.
At any rate, a scope or an LA in a highschool evoirment sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Can't imagine how any school would sign up for anything of the sort. Expecially 40 years ago, when scopes cost a boatload of money.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 11:05:37 pm »
Guess I live in the wrong country then.
We all live in the "wrong" country, different countries being wrong in different ways :)
I graduated from the top gymnasium in the country and I've never heard of any scopes being available to students for poking around. Not even sure if any of the schools own a scope.

Well, we were taught how to use them, and never damaged them. There was far more fragile equipment around than scopes.

Besides, only knowledgeable geeks used them; by that time I had been building electronic circuits for a decade.

My school was a normal state provincial "grammar" school, but they became "politically incorrect" and disappeared not long after I left.

Well, maybe in some sort of robotics club or something, it might be usefull.
At any rate, a scope or an LA in a highschool evoirment sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Can't imagine how any school would sign up for anything of the sort. Expecially 40 years ago, when scopes cost a boatload of money.

I doubt they were the most expensive equipment around.

There was certainly far more dangerous equipment and chemicals around, e.g. van der graaf generators, large lumps of sodium and potassium, radioactive sources, liquid mercury. And everybody used most of those.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf