Author Topic: Question about a Tektronix 5103N  (Read 1497 times)

Offline FastEddieFelsonTopic starter

Question about a Tektronix 5103N
« on: March 03, 2017, 11:50:32 pm »
There's a Tektronix 5103N for sale near me for $100 that doesn't power on. From the photos it looks like it's in good shape except the center module is missing. Is this an "easy" to repair scope for a beginner? Could the fact that it won't turn on possibly just be related to the missing module? The person selling it has no idea how to use it (not that I know much more) but for the money I was thinking about picking it up if I could get it running again. Right now I don't have a scope so a used one in this range is appealing. Is this a good choice or should I try something else?

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Question about a Tektronix 5103N
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 03:36:17 am »
Only 2 Mhz. bandwidth. :palm: You are better off getting a 100Mhz. scope that works from ebay for same money. :-+  just be patient and wait.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Question about a Tektronix 5103N
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:25:31 am »
For $100 you should be able to find something better.  The Tektronix 5000 series were intended for the physical sciences and not electronics; as singapol points out, the 5103N only has a 2 MHz bandwidth.

The 5103N does not require the middle plug-in which is the second vertical plug-in to operate.  These oscilloscopes are fully documented and it is likely repairable but it is not something I would recommend for a beginner unless they already own it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf