Author Topic: Gossen Metrahit Energy on the way  (Read 13473 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Gossen Metrahit Energy on the way
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:27:27 am »
Now I am officialy jealous ;D

I got a very good deal on a new 87v, but gossen is still my no. 1...

Offline jahonen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:35:53 am »
Got my MetraHit Energy about a month ago. Nice meter, the power measurement function works not only in AC, but for relatively small DC loads (tens of µW) too. Also, it measures AC standby power consumptions (<1 W) reliably with ease.

Regards,
Janne

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 06:47:09 am »
Got my MetraHit Energy about a month ago. Nice meter, the power measurement function works not only in AC, but for relatively small DC loads (tens of µW) too. Also, it measures AC standby power consumptions (<1 W) reliably with ease.

Does it come with the neat mains power monitor adapter shown?

Dave.

Offline jahonen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:41:16 am »

Does it come with the neat mains power monitor adapter shown?

Dave.

Unfortunately no, it must be ordered separately. However, the price for it (PMA16) was quite acceptable (considering the meter price), ~65€ (local taxes included).

Regards,
Janne

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 01:22:01 pm »
Or you can just go to the local Home Depot and make an adapter for under $10 of parts.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 02:02:32 pm »
if they want to get more sales, then i suggest they have to make sure it is easily bought online internationally.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:32:19 pm »
I had just notice the retail price , and I had an instant fade out .. 

800 + EURO ....   no matter how good it is , its doomed in sales. 

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 04:56:11 pm »
800 + EURO ....   no matter how good it is , its doomed in sales. 

Yet another bullshit response from our friend from Greek.  Gossen is in the business since decades. More precisely since 1919, and always had and still has such prices. Those who need the quality pay without complaining. Those who just buy multimeters so they can pose in online forums probably won't pay.

Let me ask you one thing. Do you engage your brain before you write, or are you just pulling your responses out of your ars?
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 06:07:15 pm »
Yet another bullshit
Let me ask you one thing. Do you engage your brain before you write, or are you just pulling your responses out of your ars?
you have a personal problem with him, you do in PM. i just remit an advice from a hero member.
if you like the DMM, just buy it or give your compliment. if you dont, draw your post and be ready to get slashed by "intelligent reasoning"
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 06:24:43 pm »
First thing I notice was the link to the EEVBlog when Dave looked at another meter.

Neil

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 09:32:29 pm »
First thing I notice was the link to the EEVBlog when Dave looked at another meter.

They seem to love the review, the link has been on the front page for a year now!

Dave.

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 03:39:21 am »
I think K's reaction is natural jealousy. No matter what economy you live in, it would be rare for an electrician or technician to own a Gossen (in reality it's rare here to see an electrician using a higher-end Fluke for that matter...). They are priced way out of our means. There are probably some using a Gossen, but I suspect they would be provided by the company and not part of the electrician's personal tool kit.

To use the Big Mac concept on multimeters: When I worked for someone else, it would cost me about 70 hours of pay to buy an $800 Gossen and 30 hours to buy a higher-end Fluke (~$350). I could get a mid grade Ideal, Greenlee, Extech or low end Fluke for about 10 hours pay.

Don't misunderstand me... I dream about and plan to buy higher quality test equipment and I already have the largest collection of test tools of any electrician I know personally. I think what happens though is that the price barrier becomes a psychological barrier to the average person and equipment of this calibre doesn't even enter the picture.
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 03:54:05 am »
Gossen meters are clearly not marketed and priced at the average punter, they are the rolls-royce of meters, even beyond Fluke, designed and marketed to meet niche applications.
Someone mentioned on here Gossen meters are the only ones approved and used by some big aerospace company, that's the kind of market Gossen cater too, price doesn't matter.

$800 Euro is quite reasonable for a meter of this class and functionality.

BTW, it's not just a multimeter, it's a very advanced power monitoring and logging instrument.

Dave.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 08:04:58 am »
When I worked for someone else, it would cost me about 70 hours of pay to buy an $800 Gossen and 30 hours to buy a higher-end Fluke (~$350). I could get a mid grade Ideal, Greenlee, Extech or low end Fluke for about 10 hours pay.
It's 800 Euros which is $1120 at today's exchange rate so that's 98 hours work.

To be honest, it does sound a lot for the specification considering I personally haven't heard of Gossen before so I wouldn't even consider it. I couldn't give a toss how long they've existed for, they obviously haven't marketed themselves very well or have much of a reputation where I've worked before so wouldn't consider it.  I can understand BoredAtWork being annoyed at Kiriakos-GR for not appreciating quality products but I think he overreacted and the fact that he's Greek shouldn't have been raised because it's got nothing to do with it.

I'm not saying I'd buy a cheap Chinese piece of shit either. I'd probably look for a similar meter from Fluke or Megger, even if it costs as much or even a little more.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 08:23:53 am »
If I was care to deal and make happy,
any one who stands hidden behind an computer screen,
and launching such low cost fireworks ,
I would run out of time about dealing with my own life ..

And so I just ignore them.   

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 08:49:26 am »

Yes, that's probably the best way to deal with it. I was worried for a second this thread would turn to a flame feast but I'm glad you had the maturity to avoid it.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 08:59:27 am »
To be honest, it does sound a lot for the specification considering I personally haven't heard of Gossen before so I wouldn't even consider it. I couldn't give a toss how long they've existed for, they obviously haven't marketed themselves very well or have much of a reputation where I've worked before so wouldn't consider it.

Gossen basically don't market outside of Europe. In the US you can't even buy a Gossen, it's called a "Dranetz BMI" which just help to dilute their brand even further!
It's a shame really, they make some of the best gear on the market.

I've only played with this meter for 10 minutes, but if I had to keep only ONE meter and toss away all my others, I'd chose this one!

Dave.

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 09:28:19 am »
When I was a boy, "Made in West Germany" was THE sign you wanted to see on your devices. It was something like instantly assured top quality that is sure to last many years. And it was, I still have 15 MHz HM312 Hameg scope, runs fine and within spec, and there is a little sticker on the crt inside with 1976 as year of production.

Now, when I hear Gossen, it instantly reminds me of those days.

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 11:34:55 am »
When I worked for someone else, it would cost me about 70 hours of pay to buy an $800 Gossen and 30 hours to buy a higher-end Fluke (~$350). I could get a mid grade Ideal, Greenlee, Extech or low end Fluke for about 10 hours pay.

Oops, thanks for catching that one. I was tired last night... but excited by the meter.

@Nermash - I can relate to your story. My mom and grandparents were from Germany and as a kid I was exposed to a lot more German products that my grandad brought over than the average American probably was and their quality left an indelible impression on me. OTOH, there are some things you want to get from somewhere else, like espresso machines ;)
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Offline MrPlacid

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hobby Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 12:59:46 pm »

I don't know how any guy can justify the huge price tag to his wife, except for Dave ;D

edit:
BTW, it's not just a multimeter, it's a very advanced power monitoring and logging instrument.

I am getting frustrated with the dmm industry. They put in all these new functionalities and don't bother working on implementing inductance. It's like everyone are afraid of touching inductance or something.

Dave, you need to start giving thumb down to any dmm without 'inductance' for high end meter. This will put them into high gear. It should go something like this, "This multimeter has this and this, but no inductance function. Thumbs down."
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:27:23 pm by MrPlacid »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 04:54:08 pm »
you have a personal problem with him, you do in PM. i just remit an advice from a hero member

Do you seriously think I care about "hero member" status and advice from a K-GR fanboy? What I do care about is to prevent beginners in the field being mislead by someone speaking out of his arse and constantly trolling without having a clue.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 05:11:37 pm »

In another thread you was exaggerating AGAIN ,
about kicking the arse of the electrician who will come to your home with an cheap multimeter ...

I bet 300 Euros that if you do that , you will end up in the to hospital .

All the bets goes to the Electrician full of muscle , who will fix to you an permanent face-lift. 

Now hide at your cave again ... its time .

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 05:14:34 pm »

Yes, that's probably the best way to deal with it. I was worried for a second this thread would turn to a flame feast but I'm glad you had the maturity to avoid it.

You spoke too soon.
-Time

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf