Author Topic: GPSDO 3.5mm RS232  (Read 1546 times)

Offline LemonizerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
GPSDO 3.5mm RS232
« on: March 28, 2020, 07:19:02 pm »
Hello everyone !

First time I post here, but long time lurker, I finally decided to join the adventure ! :)

I recently got bitten by the time-nuts bug, and ordered myself a GPSDO module made by the well known BG7TBL !
But I never saw before that rs232 connector, in the form of a 3.5mm jack.
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/HOT-PLL-GPSDO-GPS-Tame-Disciplined-Clock-Sine-Wave-GPS-Receiver-10M-1PPS-DE/122884198500?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Can someone tell me, if I can simply take a random jack, a rs232 to usb cable, and solder the right wires together ?
Like this cable ? https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B075HB1ZLM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3NVSM8V1ROMXU&psc=1

That would greatly help me, I don't find much infos about it on the net ! And I want to be able to use the great software that Lady Heather is :)

Thanks a lot for your help !

Lemon

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Re: GPSDO 3.5mm RS232
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 11:44:47 pm »
Yes, basically.  Just depends on what you want to interface to (RS232 or USB) and what you have easiest access to.

My guess would be that easiest and least expensive would be to get a cable with a 3.5 mm plug on one end, cut off whatever is on the other end (maybe another 3.5 mm plug), strip the individual wires in the cable and connect those two wires to the GND and either the TX or RX pins on a RS232 computer port.  Or you could do something similar by interfacing the two wires to the pins on a DB9 to USB changer, or maybe splice the two wires directing to a USB cable.

Others here (or in the Metrology forum) can tell you with more certainty but I’m not sure how much functionality you will get with the two wire functionality.  In some BG7TBL GPSDOs there are wires to 4 RS232 (DB9) pins (but 2 of those might be for LCD control on LCD models?).

Best advice would be to post in the Metrology forum where texaspyro the King of Lady Heather for Windows and many users hang out.  Enjoy your GPSDO and watch out for TEA.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:50:20 pm by Electro Fan »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 09:32:19 am »
Thanks a lot for your answer !

And yes, basically I wanted to connect that gpsdo to my computer, via that rs232 3.5mm jack, to see if I can get informations out of it with Lady Heather. To see how many satellites its locked on, and so on.

I bought that rs232 to usb cable, so with a jack I'll simply make a crude cable, to hopefully get those informations !

Thanks again for your time :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 09:07:22 pm »
Ho also, can someone recommend me a good antenna (or at least point me in the right direction of what to look for) that I could hook on my roof ? I easily have access to a plain sky, so I should use this advantage ! I don't know prices, so let's not take that in account, to see whats avalaible first !

Thanks guys !

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 04:03:04 am »
You only need 3 wires.  TXD, TXD, and GND.  In 9 pin configurations, it's pin 2, 3, and 5. 

5 is for sure, a ground.  So you have two chances to get it right.  If you have an oscilloscope, obviously the one the signal is coming out is TXD.

Offline FPSychotic

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 07:04:03 pm »
Hi, I made a cable for the GPSDO 2017 with CTS and original neo7m ,RS232's  pin2 and pin3 to the ftdi RX/TX and no ground connected will receive the sats info, but u-center won't show the actual  configuration, everything is unmarked like if the gps wasn't connected, cannot read or sens config. If I add the GND, (Pin5) in the GPSDO to GND in the FTDI, it stops even of receiving,just like dead, does anyone knows exactly what I need to do or someone with same 3 cables have it working (I think it should)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf