Author Topic: > 1 GHz DIY differential probes  (Read 66001 times)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: > 1 GHz DIY differential probes
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2018, 09:57:48 pm »
I would be interested too.
Nice work.

Offline mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2018, 09:05:41 pm »
still working on my 400Mhz-diffprobe... I`m interested too

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2018, 09:24:36 pm »
I still have to update the PCB design to include the offset pot. I hope I can squeeze this in this week and then get a quotation from an assembler to have a couple of these probes produced professionally. It is not going to be really cheap (likely >100 euro) but still extremely competitive compared to 'the real deal'. I want to sell the probe as a kit complete with SMA to BNC cable, USB power cable and stainless steel wire to make probe tips.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: lukier, Crossphased

Offline mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2018, 10:17:43 am »
I still have to update the PCB design to include the offset pot. I hope I can squeeze this in this week and then get a quotation from an assembler to have a couple of these probes produced professionally. It is not going to be really cheap (likely >100 euro) but still extremely competitive compared to 'the real deal'. I want to sell the probe as a kit complete with SMA to BNC cable, USB power cable and stainless steel wire to make probe tips.

At least here there are enough SMA>BNC-Cables aviable.

I use for my 400MHz-Probe something like this:
https://www.schukat.com/schukat/pdf.nsf/index/D796B48DFC770906C1257933002CFFBC/$file/PTR_Serie_1012_E.pdf

Anyway, 100€ are fine and if you need an assembler mail me PM, I`m working "inside" an assember....

The following users thanked this post: the Willows

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2018, 09:33:22 pm »
I just ordered a first batch of 10 pieces. The price for the complete kit is going to be 140 Euro including VAT. I'll create a user manual / specification sheet as well.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:56:56 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Belgarath, www.MKRD.info

Offline bitbanger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2018, 05:50:35 am »
Expressing interest for one of these.

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2018, 09:28:02 pm »
This is really great  :-+
But isn't possible to do that in little bit better formfactor?
Slim to be able to put inside some nice aluminum cover?  :box:

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2018, 10:22:42 pm »
This is really great  :-+
But isn't possible to do that in little bit better formfactor?
I tried to make the board as narrow as possible however the width is dictated by the width of the micro-USB and SMA connectors. IMHO the design isn't lumpy compared to differential probes you can buy from R&S, Keysight or Lecroy but yes, it definitely is more lumpy than a passive probe. BTW I'm having a plastic case designed & manufactured because the heat-shrink sleeving just didn't sit right with me.

Offline mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2018, 10:39:06 pm »

I buildt a 400MHz-Diffprobe some time ago and decided against a nice aluminiumcover because if it sits somewere on the circuit the chance for a destructive short is high.   

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2018, 04:13:53 pm »

I buildt a 400MHz-Diffprobe some time ago and decided against a nice aluminiumcover because if it sits somewere on the circuit the chance for a destructive short is high.
It's all depends on design. If it's done properly there is no chance for some shorts. But yes it's necessary to have access to some CNC machine.
Here is for example my noise source.

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2018, 04:17:39 pm »
It's all depends on design. If it's done properly there is no chance for some shorts. But yes it's necessary to have access to some CNC machine.

That's some nice work.

Offline mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2018, 04:49:54 pm »

I didn`t mean short in the diffprobe itself but that the diffprobe, housed in an aluminiumcover and lying around can easily create shorts in the circuit it is probing below.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2018, 06:19:46 pm »
A conductive case is actually desired to prevent degradation of the AC common mode rejection from variation in the probe's environment.  Plastic enclosures should have a conductive film on the inside.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2018, 06:40:16 pm »
A conductive case is actually desired to prevent degradation of the AC common mode rejection from variation in the probe's environment.  Plastic enclosures should have a conductive film on the inside.

Will something like the old conductive carbon spray for coating the CRT TV case internal or the CRT tube work ?

Example :
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 06:42:02 pm by BravoV »

Offline luma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2018, 09:06:50 pm »
I’m definitely interested in placing an order when you think you’re ready for testers.  I have a fair bit of experience designing 3D printable enclosures for OSHW projects and would get to work on that immediately upon receipt of an assembled board.

Offline bitbanger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2018, 10:56:52 pm »
^ with him/her. I'd be perfectly happy with as-is stated performance and 3D printing an enclosure.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2019, 02:57:36 am »

Will something like the old conductive carbon spray for coating the CRT TV case internal or the CRT tube work ?

Example :

If it will work for EMI shielding then it will probably work.  The cases on the Apple 2 computer used something like that on the inside.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2019, 08:45:27 am »

Example :

If it will work for EMI shielding then it will probably work.  The cases on the Apple 2 computer used something like that on the inside.

I think for EMI it is better to use this one on a plastic enclosure (kontakt chemie EMV 35 or EMI 35): https://uk.farnell.com/kontakt-chemie/emi-35-200ml/coating-conductive-emi-35-200ml/dp/2142398

Offline the Willows

« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2019, 10:52:19 am »
Very interesting, was on the way to order from the German guy, but this seems to be a much better design.
Please write me up for 2 pcs.

We own (me and Daniel from Xtreemtec) since last december a LeCroy WavePro 7300, but no probes yes. Hard to find item or huge prices.
So this is a good alternative.

Offline paul67

« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2019, 07:19:29 pm »
Are there any probe kits remaining? I'm interested in one. Thanks.

Offline paul67

« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2019, 07:23:29 pm »
I just ordered a first batch of 10 pieces. The price for the complete kit is going to be 140 Euro including VAT. I'll create a user manual / specification sheet as well.

Meant to 'quote' that. I'm interested in one of those probe kits...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2019, 09:45:18 pm »
I'm almost ready to put the first batch together. Give me a few more days to make the official announcement.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2019, 12:14:18 am »
I'm almost ready to put the first batch together. Give me a few more days to make the official announcement.

I'm also interested.

Offline the Willows

« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2019, 08:32:59 am »
Tonnie Wittenaar wrote on the 4th of January:
Very interesting, was on the way to order from the German guy, but this seems to be a much better design.
Please write me up for 2 pcs.

So if Designer can give us an update how things are going, or project has died, please let us now.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2019, 09:42:11 am »
Nearly ready! Everything except the SMA to BNC cables has been delivered. The boards have been tested and adjusted. I'm going to assemble the first batch in the next couple of days. The datasheet is also nearly ready. I want to do a few more measurements regarding spurs and noise.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:44:14 am by nctnico »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf