Author Topic: New GW Instek GDS-2000E oscilloscope released  (Read 64773 times)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: New GW Instek GDS-2000E oscilloscope released
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2016, 01:14:59 pm »
Is there a changelog for firmware?  I find none on the GWInstek website.  For those who have updated the firmware to the latest, can you please post what you know has changed or improved.  Thanks!
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Vytautas

• Contributor
« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2016, 01:59:17 pm »
To download the firmware from their site, you need to login (create your account and login).
The new and very good feature included in the latest firmware is providing the FFT spectrum in a separate window, and not on top of the time domain waveform.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2016, 02:59:52 pm »
What is the Rigol (unhacked) equivalent to GDS2204E?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2016, 03:15:48 pm »
There is no unhacked equivalent from Rigol, because Rigol does not come with decoding and trigger options out of the box. Even compared with hacked Rigol DS-2000A, this scope offers much more.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:19:20 pm by wraper »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2016, 03:43:05 pm »
That is a tough question. I think the GDS2000E series may be comparable with the DS2000 series but Rigol doesn't offer a 4 channel version of the DS2000 series and the UART, CAN, SPI, I2C decoding + extra memory options set you back another $1100 for the DS2000.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2016, 05:05:38 pm »
The Rigol DS2202A can do 2 GS/s if you only use 1 channel.

The GW-Instek GDS2204E can do max. 1 GS/s even if you only use 1 channel.

Memory is bigger on Rigol as well.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2016, 05:16:46 pm »
The Rigol DS2202A can do 2 GS/s if you only use 1 channel.

The GW-Instek GDS2204E can do max. 1 GS/s even if you only use 1 channel.

Memory is bigger on Rigol as well.
Memory is significantly larger only if hacked. It is smaller on unhacked Rigol (14 mpts total) once you use 2 channels. If you use all 4 channels on Instek, you have 10 mpts x4 memory. It does not get divided between channels like on Rigol. That 54 mpts hacked memory is not very useful either because DS2000A has a tough time to do something useful with it.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2016, 05:33:43 pm »
Why can't we reserve the "New GW Instek GDS..." thread for posts by people who think their GW Instek scope is a better deal, and the "New Rigol DS1054Z..." thread for those who prefer their Rigol? ;) 
These "mine is better than yours" posts get a bit repetitive over time...

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2016, 05:40:18 pm »
Why can't we reserve the "New GW Instek GDS..." thread for posts by people who think their GW Instek scope is a better deal, and the "New Rigol DS1054Z..." thread for those who prefer their Rigol? ;) 
These "mine is better than yours" posts get a bit repetitive over time...
It is always good to compare and check reasoning for buying or not buying a piece of equipment.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2016, 11:59:03 pm »
Why can't we reserve the "New GW Instek GDS..." thread for posts by people who think their GW Instek scope is a better deal, and the "New Rigol DS1054Z..." thread for those who prefer their Rigol? ;)  These "mine is better than yours" posts get a bit repetitive over time...
Product comparison ,which this is about, is very important people want to know what they get for the money, both hacked and unhacked!
I'm not interested what fanbois debate! There are so many models around so its very easy to step on a landmine! :)
Thanks for the info folks, i have to read up on the Rigolettos.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:00:58 am by MT »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: May 20, 2016, 02:41:00 pm »
Why can't we reserve the "New GW Instek GDS..." thread for posts by people who think their GW Instek scope is a better deal, and the "New Rigol DS1054Z..." thread for those who prefer their Rigol? ;)  These "mine is better than yours" posts get a bit repetitive over time...
Product comparison ,which this is about, is very important people want to know what they get for the money, both hacked and unhacked!
I'm not interested what fanbois debate! [...]

Well, my suggestion was only half-serious, of course...

But -- while I would not call any of the regulars in this forum a "fanboy" -- many of the regular posters hold strong opinions on certain scope brands, and voice them with great regularity in these threads. For many posters, I only need to look at the name and I already know what brand their post will argue for, or against. It is rare to find a post from these guys (you know who you are ::)) with gives a balanced view of "this aspect is implemented better in the Rigol XYZ line, while that aspect is better in Siglent ABC scopes". And I do find that kind of "discussion" a bit boring over time, seriously.

Offline Vytautas

• Contributor
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2016, 07:00:33 pm »
Yes, I am not inclined to believe assertions without practical demonstrations.
So, guys, post pics and videos to prove what you say. Then it will have a measure of credibility.
Otherwise, empty talk.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #212 on: May 23, 2016, 07:15:10 am »
Yes, I am not inclined to believe assertions without practical demonstrations.
So, guys, post pics and videos to prove what you say. Then it will have a measure of credibility.
Otherwise, empty talk.
If you use search on the forum, you can find some pics you asked for instek at minimum. Rigol is already reviewed back and forth, many problems found too. There are at least 2 review treads for instek. Also why should I make any video? I don't get paid for it, so why should I spend any time for proving something to somebody beyond my free will writing a review some time ago? I already spent enough time for free while writing the review while otherwise I could spend it with receiving the profit.

Offline symp

• Contributor
« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2016, 10:39:20 am »
Hey guys, sorry for thread dig for such a small question.

What would be the best way for me to buy a GDS-2074E? I have settled on this as my first scope after a ship load of looking around, love how much info is known about the rigol DS2000a series but the speed of the interface on the GDS-2000E series is the best I have seen. I can't find this model on taobao. I'm located in Australia. Are there any recommended distributors for GW Instek in Australia or am I best to just go to tequipment.net?

Appreciate any advice.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2016, 12:41:27 pm »
This page has a phone number and e-mail you can use to find resellers of GW Instek gear:
http://gwinstek.com/en-global/Page/global_site

Offline symp

• Contributor
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2016, 12:54:30 pm »
This page has a phone number and e-mail you can use to find resellers of GW Instek gear:
http://gwinstek.com/en-global/Page/global_site

Thanks nctnico, I appreciate the link. I was more so looking for a forum recommended supplier, lots of you guys know your stuff. If they are all the same I will just pick an Australian supplier at random, unless it is possible to buy directly from GoodWill Instek.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: November 22, 2017, 12:24:53 am »
I was asked to link this to this thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/instek-dsomdomso-fft-spectrum-analysis/msg1355055/#msg1355055

I've got the MSO-2204EA, but it looks to be the same hardware with slightly different packaging.

Offline Smalldog

• Contributor
« Reply #217 on: January 01, 2018, 04:54:13 am »
I know this is bit of an old thread, but if anyone is looking to pickup a GDS-2000A series scope on the cheap, Amazon has some decent deals.  I picked up the GDS-2072A for $313 shipped, and the GDS-2104A for $540 shipped.  After I bought the GDS-2072A, the price spiked back up to about $900, but it's been coming down about 5% every day.  Same with the GDS-2104A.  I It was $800+ on Christmas, and I noticed it was dropping a little every day, so I set a notification up on camelcamelcamel and it broke $500 today.  And right after I bought it, it dropped another $5.  Not really worth calling Amazon over.

Now to find out how to unlock features or additional frequencies, as I am sure all of the models have the same hardware inside.

Smalldog

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #218 on: January 01, 2018, 01:51:56 pm »
The A models are quite a bit older, no Xilinx Zynq in them. They did go up to 300Mhz tho unlike the 2000e series.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: January 01, 2018, 06:21:32 pm »
At the risk of causing envy, I picked up a GDS-2072E from Amazon for US $242 with tax and shipping.  Just pure dumb luck.  A friend had sent me a note about good Amazon prices on some other Instek gear and I saw the 2072E.  I'd been planning to get one to use for FW testing once I'd made sufficient progress.  But at 1/3 normal price I grabbed it.

I'm going to be madly busy and mostly offline for the next couple of weeks.  If you are interested in having open source FW for the GDS-2000E line  please send a polite note to Good Will asking for the GPL'd source code used in the GDS-2000E line.  It's built on the Xilinx Zynq embedded Linux toolchain, but there are multiple versions.  Also they may have changed portions and we need that.

Once that is in hand, I shall start work on  being able to reproduce an existing FW update file from source where available and from binary objects where not.  Until we can do that, an open source scope is just idle chatter.  Once we can rebuild an update file reliably, it becomes possible to rewrite small pieces at a time and things will go much faster.  The only way to eat an elephant is one byte at a time.

The FW update packages contain the change log.  At present I have 1.20, 1.24, 1.28 and 1.32, though 1.24 is in the 2072E rather than as a .UPG file, so I shall need to extract it unless someone has it already.  Older FW updates are *very* valuable as the change log will help identify which binary blobs do what.  To avoid causing trouble for EEVblog, I suggest that FW files be circulated via PM rather than posted.  If you happen to have a scope with some other version of the FW installed, please don't update it until we have managed to extract the FW.  For some period of time dropbear was installed and the instruments could be accessed via ssh.  That's been turned off in later versions.  The login credentials are on online somewhere, but I don't recall where.  If you've got a FW version not in the list which has ssh working, you can put a USB drive in and copy the filesystem contents to the USB using tar and/or cpio.

I'd also like to encourage anyone familiar with or interested in FPGA  coding who wishes to support this effort to get a $100  minZed board or one of the fancier siblings and start learning the Xilinx development environment.  The Zynq is used in several lines of scopes, so much of what is learned from one will quickly translate to another.

Realistically, it will take several months of effort to get to the point where we can rewrite sections of the UI, add applications, etc.  Serious FPGA level changes will probably take longer.  If a mostly open source and modifiable GDS-2000E line gains market share over the Rigol DS1000Z  all the OEMs will notice and become more cooperative.It will take time.  RMS has been pushing this string for a long time.  But he's made a lot of progress.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: January 01, 2018, 08:59:41 pm »
[...] just idle chatter [...]

As a service to busy forum readers, I summarized that long post for you. :P

Sorry, could not resist.
But based on your own disclaimer in the post, this should qualify as a fair synopsis. ;)

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: January 01, 2018, 10:50:44 pm »
Well, I *didn't* buy a 70 MHz dual channel scope because I needed another one.  I have a 4 channel 200 MHz Instek and a 2 channel 100 MHz Rigol.   But you may draw you own conclusions ;-)  I'd like to note that I don't intend to do anything until I can simply reproduce what is already running on the scope.  The extra scope is just in case I make a mistake and to give the Instek MSO something to probe.

After a career of getting several large (500,000+ lines) piles of old code up and running, this seems like light work to me and far more interesting than another company's version of the wheel.  It's still another wheel, but not one I've worked on before.

The main reason for the lengthy post is that companies won't embrace open source unless they see a marketing advantage.  One guy requesting the GPL'd code  is not a lot of interest.  Even a few dozen doesn't qualify as a lot of interest.

The Instek hardware seems pretty decent, but I hate the software.  And I am not inclined to suffer quietly.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2018, 11:31:08 am »
Thanks, rhb. That sounds more promising than "Bought the scope, but I'll be busy. Could someone please get the source code from GW in the meantime?"   ;)

Anyway, I was mostly kidding, and getting tempted by your own assessment of "Until we can do that, an open source scope is just idle chatter." I wish you, and all of us, best of luck with this endeavour!

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2018, 03:44:27 pm »
I thought it a rather droll remark and enjoyed it.  The really awful result was mentioning this in the "Is it legal to hack a scope?" thread.  It led to a flame war over the GPL & LGPL by people who didn't understand the language of the licenses and the context of American law.

I'm migrating a ZFS pool from 1 TB to 2 TB disks which is proving unspeakably slow, but I'm too far in to back up and use a different method.   And most of my infrastructure is ripped up, sitting in a pile to be rebuilt. To top it off, starting Thursday I am going to be moving a 12' x12' x 34' cold room for my sister and her husband which I have only seen in photographs.

Much to my delight I took a moment to port scan the GDS-2072E and ssh is running on port 22 :)  That was turned off in later releases, though I don't know which.  But the root password is online somewhere.  So extracting the working system is easy.  It also makes turning it back on easy.

The real point of posting here is to try to enlist some help with tracking down information which is only of interest to GDS-2000E owners.  All of that takes time.  There are no magic wands.  And I get *really* slow when I have to do complex things I haven't done before like hook up to the JTAG port. Moreover, no one has any advantage tracking down information via web searches. You *usually* can find it, but you can't say if it will take minutes or days.

A 1.25 million line package of stuff at a medium size oil company took me 6 weeks to get it to compile.  And two of the three authors still worked there!  They just did not have a firm grasp on what linker targets were where.  So I'd go along until I hit something that wouldn't compile or link and go around asking them to look for the proper files and check them into RCS.  A 500,000 line port from VMS to Unix took 6 months with 3 people working on it, though another contractor and I did most of the work and I built the build system and version control for it.  That required locating and replacing all the VAX run time library calls.  It took me 3 days to write and test the scripts that did that.  I also wrote a scientific program that took over 1500 hours to write working alone and I did half the work on the weekends with a job in Houston, a house and dog in Dallas and an airplane ticket on Sunday and Thursday.  Oh, and the job in Houston was *another* large pile of old code.  I wore out the tee shirts a long time ago.  About the only thing that would scare me would be building X11 and Motif from source again.  That was my introduction to large scale software systems.  The serpent on the cover of the Imake book is very apt.

Again, tl;dr, but I'm hoping to head off the "let's design open source HW" which is pointless because of the production issues and the "it's so complex it's impossible" which presumes that scopes are designed by God and handed down on the mountain.

My biggest concern is how and where to organize information and resources without running afoul of copyright law, etc.

Offline netlend

• Contributor
« Reply #224 on: December 26, 2019, 01:07:08 pm »
Hello friends. I have IDS-1054B, all licenses are suitable, except for the spectrum analyzer.
Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf