Author Topic: GW Instek MFG-2000 Newbie question  (Read 302 times)

Offline AgostoTopic starter

• Contributor
GW Instek MFG-2000 Newbie question
« on: April 18, 2024, 05:33:59 pm »
I just acquired a used GW Instek MFG-2130 Function Generator. All went well during initial setup until I tried to enter a specific amplitude for a desired sine wave output: When I key in an amplitude of 100mV RMS, I measure at the output 202mV RMS (measured with 3 different meters). When I press the various function keys at the bottom (e.g. "RMS, PP", etc), the amplitude value changes on the display (e.g. 100mV RMS changes to 282mV PP), but the output voltage remains the same. "200mV RMS" on display gives me 410mV RMS at the output.

Am I doing something wrong here or is there a problem with the function generator?

Thanks for any assistance
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 05:35:46 pm by Agosto »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: GW Instek MFG-2000 Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 05:41:32 pm »
Read the manual about the load setting. This can typically be set to high-z and 50 Ohm. This setting determines the scaling of the displayed amplitude. You probably have it set to 50 Ohm load while you have a high impedance load attached.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 05:44:22 pm »
Yup, sounds like mismatched load. That will happen trying to connect any AWG to a DMM. You can test on your oscilloscope and see if it makes more sense (still needs to be properly loaded).
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 05:49:18 pm »
Thanks to both of you! Yes, I read the manual but while changing the load parameter I was focusing on the output and not on the generator display. So indeed the displayed value doubles in "High Z" mode.
Now: After changing the load to "High Z" generator display shows 300mV rms, output is 308mV rms. Is the accuracy appropriate for a generator in this price range?

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 06:09:17 pm »
Thanks to both of you! Yes, I read the manual but while changing the load parameter I was focusing on the output and not on the generator display. So indeed the displayed value doubles in "High Z" mode.
Now: After changing the load to "High Z" generator display shows 300mV rms, output is 308mV rms. Is the accuracy appropriate for a generator in this price range?

Accuracy should be stated in the spec sheet. However, is the meter calibrated and in spec also? If you only test with one piece, it's hard to know which one is telling the truth.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 06:13:32 pm »
Agreed. I tested with 3 different meters, analog and digital (including scope). Could not find the accuracy in the specs, will check again. Thanks

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 07:22:43 pm »
2% accuracy according to spec. I guess that is ok....

Thanks again for your feedback

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, KungFuJosh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf