Author Topic: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?  (Read 412023 times)

ljkjl and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?
« Reply #675 on: May 31, 2019, 06:59:09 pm »
Just an idea: if someone creates a modified ads file, wouldn't it be better to create one that just re-enables the telnet service and doesn't do anything else, like replacing ecomb?

Next time we go that way.   :popcorn:

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #676 on: May 31, 2019, 07:01:50 pm »
Next time we go that way.   :popcorn:
I can't - I installed the unmodified update so I don't have telnet anymore.

Would my idea work? I mean must an update always contain ecomb and so on to work or could you really just re-add telnet and be done?

It would be nice if you could try to create such an update.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #677 on: May 31, 2019, 07:08:05 pm »
An .ADS can contain whatever we desire. No restrictions.

"Give me a telnetd, and I shall move the earth."

BTW, telnetd is only a link to busybox telnetd. So we just need to recreate the links.

Can anyone provide the script to recreate the links?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:13:09 pm by tv84 »

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #678 on: May 31, 2019, 07:38:50 pm »
An .ADS can contain whatever we desire. No restrictions.
that's what I wanted to hear.

BTW, telnetd is only a link to busybox telnetd. So we just need to recreate the links.
was just going to mention this, but cross checked with my ubi dumps to be sure.

To me it seems like they deleted just the links to the initscripts that start and stop telnetd. The actual telnetd link is not touched in the additional.sh you posted before.

Can anyone provide the script to recreate the links?

how about the attached script?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:40:31 pm by electronic_eel »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #679 on: May 31, 2019, 07:45:57 pm »
how about the attached script?

Do you want me to pack it for you?

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #680 on: May 31, 2019, 07:48:18 pm »
Do you want me to pack it for you?
That would be nice.

You'd probably have to rename it to .sh (had to rename because of the forum limits). And maybe add some .ads magic that is needed to have it actually executed.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #681 on: May 31, 2019, 07:52:24 pm »
Maybe it's no so simple. Isn't there the problem of the FS RO ?

Why do they use that fstab change in the official script?

These are the other scripts in the official .ADS.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:56:12 pm by tv84 »

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #682 on: May 31, 2019, 08:23:51 pm »
Maybe it's no so simple. Isn't there the problem of the FS RO ?
When the additional.sh is run as intended by Siglent the fs is rw, otherwise the regular update can't remove these symlinks.

Why do they use that fstab change in the official script?
I just diffed the new fstab against one from my ubi dump. They just add the line where they mount /tmp with tmpfs. So before /tmp was probably mounted to the root fs and that caused problems so they fixed it. I don't think this change has something to do with closing down access, I think it is just regular bugfixing.

These are the other scripts in the official .ADS.

Thanks, that gives me a lot more context to work with. I'll have to look through this code to determine how to get the update system into the right state, but without overwriting ecomb or other important stuff.

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #683 on: May 31, 2019, 08:41:10 pm »
Here is your script:
After I began reading the stuff in siglentlib.sh I don't think they intended an .ads to not contain ecomb and some other stuff. The additional.sh is only run through upgrade_app(), which overwrites ecomb and so on. I think I need some more time to understand what is exactly going on when an update is running and what is the best way to inject a script without causing negative side effects.

So I don't think this simple way is going to work. I'll post some updated scripts when I have finished my investigation.

I'm not sure if ../init/ is the best path option because I think this script runs in /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/upgrade/
ln stores exactly the string you give as parameter into the symlink. The relative path is resolved when you later access the file. This relative symlink is exactly what was in there before, I checked that with my ubi dump.

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #684 on: May 31, 2019, 09:02:24 pm »
In that case, you can run the ADS.

Of course, my ADS contains only the upgrade.sh with the contents that I wrote above. Because the ecomb doesn't recognize anything else.

No additional.sh sh*t and the rest. Well, I included the fstab but, as you said, it's harmless now.
hmm. have a look at check_and_upgrade() in the siglentlib.sh. If there are update files there (is_need_upgrade), then it directly begins overwriting stuff (upgrade_uboot, upgrade_uimage). It then calls upgrade_app which in turn first overwrites ecomb, ui_data,... then only the additional.sh is called. We absolutely don't want to run that part of the script as it would overwrite uboot and the kernel image.

What I haven't figured out yet is how upgrade.sh is called and how it interacts with the other stuff in siglentlib.sh.

My current guess is that upgrade.sh is called directly when the .ads is installed, before the first reboot. After the reboot, some startup script calls check_and_upgrade() and executes the calls in there.

If that is indeed what is happening, then we'd need to do the rw-remount in upgrade.sh and also remove /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/upgrade/upgrade.sh afterwards so that is_need_upgrade() doesn't trigger.

Do you concur?

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #685 on: May 31, 2019, 09:08:03 pm »
Read my previous msg as I re-edited.

I'm not using any of that stuff because all we want is the symlink creation.

When you go for an update, in the SSA, the app knows it has to search for an upgrade.sh in the .ADS. This is an upgrade feature! No need to investigate.

But, of course our simplistic script won't work as needed because we are not doing the FS RW. As I said, investigate that part sequence and don't worry with partitions/directories updates/replaces/reformats as we won't be doing any of those.

Edit: The .ADS isn't "installed" as you say. The .ADS is decrypted and decompressed into the /upgrade/ dir and then the upgrade.sh is immediately exceuted. It then takes care of the rest.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:12:50 pm by tv84 »

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #686 on: May 31, 2019, 09:24:49 pm »
I'm not using any of that stuff because all we want is the symlink creation.
What means "using"? I think it gets automatically "used" if a upgrade.sh script is existing at the right place on bootup.

When you go for an update, in the SSA, the app knows it has to search for an upgrade.sh in the .ADS. This is an upgrade feature! No need to investigate.

Edit: The .ADS isn't "installed" as you say. The .ADS is decrypted and decompressed into the /upgrade/ dir and then the upgrade.sh is immediately exceuted. It then takes care of the rest.
ok, the .ads is unpacked and upgrade.sh executed, directly and before rebooting. A regular upgrade.sh will then trigger the reboot.

You posted a upgrade.sh from Siglent. It doesn't replace ecomb, but we know that it is replaced somehow. So how does this happen?
I think after the reboot the ecomb program will call check_and_upgrade(). That will then overwrite some stuff, remove upgrade.sh and then do a reboot. That is the second reboot you always experience when doing an update on the SSA. On the next reboot no upgrade.sh is there anymore, so the system boots into the regular program.

But, of course our simplistic script won't work as needed because we are not doing the FS RW. As I said, investigate that part sequence and don't worry with partitions/directories updates/replaces/reformats as we won't be doing any of those.
I think you have to activetly prevent the replacement of this stuff, because if you leave upgrade.sh in place it will automatically take place.

Another idea: can't we just directly start telnetd from upgrade.sh and then remove upgrade.sh? That way don't have to take care of file system modifications and so on.

Do you know if upgrade.sh is called as root or as another user?

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #687 on: May 31, 2019, 09:36:32 pm »
Could you please build me an .ADS with just the attached upgrade.sh?

That should open up telnet just once and only during this session. Deleting the upgrade.sh will make sure there are no surprises at the next reboot.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #688 on: May 31, 2019, 09:45:12 pm »
Another idea: can't we just directly start telnetd from upgrade.sh and then remove upgrade.sh?

The attached .ADS should activate telnetd for the current SSA session. Login as usual.     :popcorn:

The script inside is electronic_eel's creation. I just applied the external paint.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:33:04 pm by tv84 »

The following users thanked this post: DonRon, kado, TurboTom, snik, videobelu, wolfy007, Steen, mankan

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #689 on: May 31, 2019, 09:51:11 pm »
This script works! (after tv84 and I did some back and forth to figure out what was going on)

When you install it as update you get instant telnet access. But for this session only, so after a reboot everything is unchanged and as before.

The SSA shows a small progress bar when installing, it halts at 60%. This is normal and means you can now telnet in. The password is unchanged. The ui becomes unresponsive, it says you should wait for the update to complete. So just call "reboot" in your telnet session when you are done.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:49:58 pm by electronic_eel »

The following users thanked this post: seronday, kado, TurboTom, wolfy007

Offline arturfra

• Contributor
« Reply #690 on: June 02, 2019, 07:29:32 am »
Ok thanks for trying and create it, but what’s the exact procedure to install new update with all options enabled?

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #691 on: June 02, 2019, 11:21:48 am »
Ok thanks for trying and create it, but what’s the exact procedure to install new update with all options enabled?
you install the original update from Siglent website. Now telnet access is closed.

Then you install the telnet_SSA3000X update as posted by tv84 above. That gets you telnet access back for the current session, but doesn't change or update anything of the system. Now you use telnet to do the regular procedure to extend your bw/options as posted previously in this thread. done.

Offline arturfra

• Contributor
« Reply #692 on: June 02, 2019, 10:10:36 pm »
Nice, could i recuperate my s/n with that procedure or it’s the same as before?

Offline NikWing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #693 on: June 05, 2019, 03:28:19 pm »
hey all :)

after reading the thread (all new posts since I was here last time) I'm a little bit puzzled if I should upgrade the fw or not.
I currently have fw 1.2.8.2 (HW 07.03.00) which I applied months ago after I got the device.

Can I safely upgrade to the newest fw like I see it in post #633 without losing anything?
1.2.9.1 is on the siglent download page and here you talk about v1.2.9.3a.
Which would be better?

Thanks for unpuzzling me ;D

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #694 on: June 05, 2019, 03:31:41 pm »
You can upgrade peacefully (to 1.2.9.3a since it's the latest).

The following users thanked this post: NikWing, Emo, BillB, ct1bxt

Offline NikWing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #695 on: June 05, 2019, 03:43:35 pm »
oh wow, quick reply

thanks, tv84, so I just apply the new fw and all options will stay :)

edit: yay, done :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:13:44 pm by NikWing »

Offline Steen

« Reply #696 on: June 10, 2019, 06:26:52 pm »
Hi,
Is it possible to upgrade the SSA3021X, SW1 1.2.9.3a, SW220180708-1, HW 0F.03.00 ?

Anyone!  -is it possible to to upgrade SSA3021X that comes with SW1 1.2.9.3a??
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:26:58 pm by Steen »

Offline TTH

« Reply #697 on: June 14, 2019, 09:51:12 am »
You can enable all options using the previously documented procedure - after running telnet_11201.ads for the session.

Offline Deepblue

« Reply #698 on: June 18, 2019, 01:55:09 pm »
Hi everybody,
I have been reading this thread and decided to order a Siglent SSA3021. It came with the tracking generator license and the 1.2.9.2.a firmware installed.
I managed to get all the options enable, using knowledge from this thread  ;D everything looks fine, apart from the license number which is XXXXXXX as I knew it would be when hacking it.

My question is; have anybody tried the TekBox EMCView pre-compliance software (Link) with a hacked Siglent? They state the software will be locked to the SSA's serial number, but wil this work with a hacked unit?
I have the original S/N, but I suppose the unit reports "XXXXXXXX" back to the software?!?

Hope someone can help me out here.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #699 on: June 18, 2019, 02:12:38 pm »
For that case, maybe you can use a hexeditor and change the app file to SCPI report your S/N in the place where it has the XXXXXXXXX. Leave all the other files as they are.

But you would have to do that patch in every update...

Poor's man solution.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf