Author Topic: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?  (Read 413636 times)

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
Re: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?
« Reply #950 on: March 26, 2021, 09:17:51 am »
New Firmware  V1.3.9.7  2021/1/30

1.   This  firmware  must  be  upgraded  from  V1.2.8.1  or  later.  If  your  SSA3000X  has  an
earlier  version,  please  update  to  V1.2.8.1  first  and  then  proceed  to  update  to  the
latest version.
2.   Fixed the LOG scale sweep time and display error
3.   Fixed the trace file .trc load and display error
4.   Improve the stability of TG
5.   Add peak excursion require command
:CALCulate:MARKer:PEAK:EXCursion?
Add sweep state require command
:TRACe:SWEep:STATe?
Add N dB Bandwidth left and right frequency require command
:CALCulate:MARKer*:BANDwidth:RLEFt?
:CALCulate:MARKer*:BANDwidth:RRIGht?   

https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=29

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #951 on: March 26, 2021, 09:21:37 am »
I think you mean firmware date of 2021/03/26 ?

Edit: Odd, web site says the above, release notes say 2021/01/30 ?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:30:55 am by tubularnut »

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
« Reply #952 on: March 26, 2021, 09:26:38 am »
yes

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #953 on: March 26, 2021, 10:42:35 am »
This FW will remove any active telnet. if you managed to keep telnet active, you will lose it if you upgrade.

For some strange reason, I found this file, which will not remove the telnet daemons: https://we.tl/t-i0ddwxSXOT  :)

Note that it will not activate telnet. It will just skip removing it.

Regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: TurboTom, SHF, videobelu, joeB

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #954 on: March 28, 2021, 10:53:50 am »
Hello,

Attached is a link for another FW I "found" for the SSA3021X: https://we.tl/t-lFH6APawHi

It is the latest firmware release (SSA3000X_1.3.9.7), but it ADDS telnet if not already activated (instead of removing it) and it ADDS the webserver posted by frankvh2: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hack-of-sigllent-spectrum-analyzer-ssa3021x/msg3451746/#msg3451746

Note that all credits for the webserver go to frankvh2!

Just run the update and you get both.

If there is any problem, let me know. It worked fine on my unit. This FW has nothing to do with any license hacks: these are not touched or modified.

UPDATE:
The previous link expired. Here is a new one: https://we.tl/t-f5ZHi6Rhmq
It will expire April, 15th and I will not repost it, so get it now.
Only reposting due to EEVBlog's server downtime...

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:59:55 am by Bicurico »

The following users thanked this post: SHF, F64098, videobelu

Offline drdupery

« Reply #955 on: March 30, 2021, 06:44:42 pm »
Hello and great thanks for all contributors discovered methods for fun things with SSA3021X :)

Since ADS to ZIP tool referenced in this thread has limited access for downloading it, does anyone have the extracted ecomb file from version 1.2.8.1 and can it be shared?
the method described in post #866

updated:
the tool is not public and now it is not available for download
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:42:25 am by drdupery »

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #956 on: April 01, 2021, 07:55:50 am »
Hello!

I am happy to announce that I found a way to upgrade the SSA3021X into a full featured SVA1032!

It requires a bit of soldering, as a few components need to be retorfitted. After that, a crossflash is possible and as a bonus, the attached package includes a "special" firmware that activates all options by generating the propper keys!

Download here: shorturl.at/wVWX2

Regards,
Vitor

Hi everyone!

This was my attempt for a harmless April, 1st joke.

Life in the pandemic is otherwise much too serious. Hope you enjoyed being "Rick Rolled"!

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:02:03 am by Bicurico »

The following users thanked this post: Pinkus, tv84, KE5FX, SilverSolder, Emo

Offline E Kafeman

• Regular Contributor
    • AnTune VNA software
« Reply #957 on: April 01, 2021, 07:27:40 pm »
Thank, works great.
No signature

Offline drdupery

« Reply #958 on: April 02, 2021, 10:52:08 am »
This thread has several links to ADS to ZIP converter tool in order to use ecomb replacement method for generating proper licensed, the initial refered attachement is not available now
it was deleted on January 09, 2021 by Bicurico in the thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/500/
I hope my finding will help newcomers to understand why they are getting error when trying to download the tool, it is not permission related problem, the attachement is just not available now
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 10:54:08 am by drdupery »

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #959 on: April 02, 2021, 11:04:13 am »
This thread has several links to ADS to ZIP converter tool in order to use ecomb replacement method for generating proper licensed, the initial refered attachement is not available now
it was deleted on January 09, 2021 by Bicurico in the thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/500/
I hope my finding will help newcomers to understand why they are getting error when trying to download the tool, it is not permission related problem, the attachement is just not available now

I mentioned it here:

I posted the initial version of my "Siglent Firmware Tool" and recently decided to remove it again.

Regards,
Vitor

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hack-of-sigllent-spectrum-analyzer-ssa3021x/msg3490298/#msg3490298

Regards,
Vitor

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #960 on: April 02, 2021, 11:10:21 am »

:horse:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hack-of-sigllent-spectrum-analyzer-ssa3021x/msg3489400/#msg3489400

Offline drdupery

« Reply #961 on: April 02, 2021, 11:14:21 am »
I'm not the provider of such tool.

so previously the words from Bicurico explained good enough the issue
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 04:52:57 pm by drdupery »

Online dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #962 on: April 08, 2021, 11:41:57 pm »
Hi
It has been a long time since I followed this thread and there has been a large number of postings. 
I am seeking guidance on updating my hacked SSA.

I have a Siglent SSA3032X
version  SW1  1.2.9.3a
              SW2  201870708-1
              SW3   D1
              HW 07.03.00
Options
EMI
AMK
TG
Refl

Only the TG option came with the SSA.  The others are hacked.

I am looking to update the software versions but I have some questions:

Is it worth updating the software?
If so, what features are added and bugs fixed?
Can someone please kindly outline what I would need to do to upgrade the software without losing options and maintaining future hackability.
I am comfortable using Linux etc, so I am just looking for the latest procedure.

Thanks in advance.

Dazz
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #963 on: April 09, 2021, 12:01:43 am »
All FW version release notes are listed in a PDF in each upgrade package.

https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=29

Never heard of hacks being impacted by firmware updates.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #964 on: April 14, 2021, 04:56:11 am »
Hello,

Attached is a link for another FW I "found" for the SSA3021X:

It is the latest firmware release (SSA3000X_1.3.9.7), but it ADDS telnet if not already activated (instead of removing it) and it ADDS the webserver posted by frankvh2:

UPDATE:

Regards,
Vitor

Hi
I updated the firmware from ver 1.2.9.3a.
The firmware installed faster than I expected and the SSA went to the default user screen, just like after a normal start.
The firmware version still showed as 1.2.9.3a.
I cycled the power and the version then showed as 1.3.9.7.

I haven't tried the telnet or web server but it appears the update was successful.  I can't see any obvious change/difference in the user interface.

Thanks for "finding" this hacked firmware version.

Dazz
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?

Offline swanawood

• Contributor
« Reply #965 on: April 20, 2021, 12:38:26 pm »

UPDATE:

Regards,
Vitor

Hi,
could you please re-post the file as the link is expired (again) and I missed it ?

Thanks

Offline ChrisLau

« Reply #966 on: April 22, 2021, 08:48:11 am »
Hello,

sorry I am really new. I have also a SSA3021 and I want to test to hack it. But I read and read all the post and cannot find the mentioned files I have to download.
Is there a trick?

Thank You

Offline swanawood

• Contributor
« Reply #967 on: April 22, 2021, 07:00:55 pm »
I answer to myself (as it is the only one who responded me :-)

I managed to overcome to the telnet deltion by last upgrade without using any other "black magic" firmware provided by anyone.... (even because I am not able to have it....).
So, basically for all the people in my situation I can give this simple tip:
act before launching the upgrade to the latest version, using your brain and some little unix knowledge... this is enough to prevent the telnet vanishing....

Offline weejag

• Contributor
« Reply #968 on: May 26, 2021, 01:46:49 am »
Having read the 39 pages of this topic twice I began to understand what was required.

1) Telnet access is required to do anything.

2) There is a basic option to rename replace 2 files: "nsp_data_b", and "NSP_system_info.xml" with custom versions.
  - this gives you an options fully loaded SSA3021x (or even SSA3032x)  BUT the serial no. is set to SSA_XXXXXXXXX

3) The updated procedure is more complicated and requires switching off the running "ecomb" program on the SSA and running "ecomb8" instead. 
You should first replace the "nsp_data_b" with the version from version 1.2.8.1 of the Firmware. 
The "ecomb" renamed as "ecomb8" is also obtained from this firmware. 
The former has been posted on this forum but the later has never been. 
There is an extraction tool to obtain these files from the 1.2.8.1 FW (V01.02.08.01) but this is not reliable and has been withdrawn. 
The "NSP_system_info.xml" also needs to be replaced with a customised version containing the users serial number (if they want to keep it). 
This method seems to be the best in the long term but seems unavailable unless someone is kind enough to post a tested version of the "ecomb" from 1.2.8.1

There is also something about the RBW being reduced by the simpler hack?

OK.  Please correct the above if I have misunderstood.

Now to my attempts.

As my machine arrived with version 1.2.9.3a I was faced with a problem of no Telnet.
I realised there was a risk of using the Telnet.ADS but it seems that it was a risk with later software (hopefully!!).  I gave it a go.  It was no go.  It went to 60% loaded but no telnet.  I switched off using the power button and held my breath - rebooted as normal. Phew!

Without this telnet option working my only other thought was to try the 1.3.9.7 (with Telnet / Webserver ) version posted above. This loaded although I had to do a reset before it was shown (even though the machine had power cycled).  Seemed to be all ok on the machine.
I found that the webserver was working (very well actually).
The telnet was a different matter.  I had got the "Welcome to SCPI instrument Siglent SSA3021X" login with port 5024 before the upgrade and this still worked. 
Port 5025 also continued the telnet session but "returns" just produced a blank screen.
I did a port scan and found these ports open 80(http), 111,897,5024,5025.   10101 and 800 were not.
Port 111 opened (and stayed open) but like 5025 produced a blank screen.
Port 897 immediately closed on starting (I was using PUTTY in windows 10).

Well, thats all the info I have I'm afraid.  I'm a bit stuck now.  If I had got into telnet my plan was to copy all the files, then try and downgrade to 1.2.8.1 and copy all the files there.  I was going to compare the two "ecomb" files to see if the downgraded software would give me the desired version for the complex hack??  I may even have been able to do it there and then.  But ofcourse this depends on if the downgrade worked. 

I would appreciate any thoughts, particularly in relation to the 111 and 897 open ports.  Wonder what is going on there?

Thanks.

weejag

Offline weejag

• Contributor
« Reply #969 on: May 26, 2021, 03:03:05 pm »
Just a thought....

If you can downgrade your firmware ( as some people have said is possible) to 1.2.8.1 does the ecomb app get downgraded?
Could you not just stop it running, replace the neccessary files then start it up again?  Would that do the job?
All this messing about extracting the ecomb from the .ADS file would then become irrelevent??  Or am I missing something obvious?

Doesnt look like I'm going to get anywhere with the telnet so its just an academic question for me.

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #970 on: May 26, 2021, 04:37:58 pm »
I sent you a PM...

Don't start messing up your device randomly. In the end you might have a brick.

Offline weejag

• Contributor
« Reply #971 on: May 26, 2021, 07:51:32 pm »
Thanks Bicurico for the reply. I've responded to your PM.

I have tried to be extremely careful in my actual explorations but I realise that I have been mistaken in a number of aspects (maybe it comes with doing things and posting at 2 am)

Firstly, what I wrote in 2) above is rubbish.

The basic option is to rename the NSP_bandwidth.xml files (in both the firmdata0 folder and the backup folder) to NSP_bandwidthx.xml
These contain the Serial Number and the licence data.  I presume that if the originals are not found the system replaces it with a default version giving full specs to the SSA?

Also my thoughts about grabbing ecomb - I guess this was a stupid idea.  One of the people much smarter than me would have already done this if it were possible.  I suspect that my understanding of linux is far too rudimentary at the moment.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #972 on: May 26, 2021, 08:31:20 pm »
I presume that if the originals are not found the system replaces it with a default version giving full specs to the SSA?

You presume wrong. The app takes care of that in runtime. Nonetheless, most of your previous analysis is correct.

As such, you may answer my pm and I'll be able to help you.

Offline avst

« Reply #973 on: August 13, 2021, 01:24:09 pm »
Hi,

I have a Siglent SSA3032X Firmware  V1.3.9.7  2021/1/30. I tried reading most of the 39 pages of this thread, to be able to unlock the extra available options. I know there should be enough information in this thread to achieve this, but all the talk of upgrading, downgrading, locking, unloking, downloading files not available any more, is rather confusing and i don't want to brick my device. Could somebody please point me in the right direction ?

Offline foojim

« Reply #974 on: August 17, 2021, 11:32:55 am »
I have a SSA3021 Plus that I have cross loaded the firmware to make it think its a SVA1032. Thanks for the great info , it works great as a 3.2 Ghz SA. 

I cant seem to understand how to get the Smith charting of Distance to fault to work correctly, I can use the options to get the displays but the data isn't correct. I have performed the open, close, 50 ohm load calibrations.  I dont have a huge amount of vna experience so I am not sure if I am correct to assume the SSA hardware is capable of the SVA functions.

I did check in the forum but I cant find a post that details the difference in the hardware, there is some mention that a SSA and SVA have different front ends.

When you cross load firmware from a SVA onto a SSA:

Is it correct to assume the TG becomes Port 1 and RF-In becomes Port 2?

Or

Do you need to add an external bridge to use the VNA functionality on the SSA hardware.

Apologies in advance if I have missed the obvious.

Cheers

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 12:08:13 pm by foojim »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf