Author Topic: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?  (Read 412163 times)

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: Hack of Sigllent spectrum analyzer ssa3021X?
« Reply #975 on: August 17, 2021, 01:02:42 pm »
Maybe your SSA misses an internal cable. Check the forum as that are plenty of examples of how to solve the matter.

Offline foojim

« Reply #976 on: August 17, 2021, 04:24:58 pm »
Perfect , found the problem.

Thanks

Jamie

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
« Reply #977 on: August 18, 2021, 05:57:23 pm »
New Firmware Version: V1.3.9.8

1.  This firmware must be upgraded from V1.2.8.1 or later. If your  SSA3000X has an earlier
     version, please update to V1.2.8.1 first and then proceed to update to the latest version.

2.  Compatible with different batches hardware

https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=29

Offline pe1oxp

• Regular Contributor
  • ~ Life is too short for QRP ~
« Reply #978 on: August 19, 2021, 05:04:45 pm »
Nothing new or fixed in the new update?
I will wait for a next one

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #979 on: August 19, 2021, 05:49:01 pm »
I bet they had to change some component due to lack of supply, like the LCD screen or something else, and this FW just has the required driver supporting it added.

Offline ironcurtain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #980 on: October 23, 2021, 09:38:41 pm »
I just got hold of my calib data backup, as well as my original XML files:

Code: [Select]
drwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1000 4,0K oct 23 23:27 .
drwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1000 4,0K oct 23 23:27 ..
drwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1000  20K oct 23 23:27 calib
-rwxrwxrwx 2 1000 1000  480 may 12 03:04 nsp_data_b
-rwxrwxrwx 2 1000 1000  425 may 12 03:04 NSP_sn_bandwidth.xml
-rwxrwxrwx 2 1000 1000  606 may 12 03:04 NSP_trends_config_info.xml

I'm running a 2018 ancient 1.2.9.1. I converted to 3032X (3031X non plus originally).
I'm looking for some advice on upgrading it further head without affecting the options, and possibly restoring my SN. Keeping telnet is a bonus.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #981 on: October 24, 2021, 07:30:37 am »
I'm running a 2018 ancient 1.2.9.1. I converted to 3032X (3031X non plus originally).
I'm looking for some advice on upgrading it further head without affecting the options, and possibly restoring my SN. Keeping telnet is a bonus.

If you are at 3032 with all options, how further do you wanna go?  :-//

Offline ironcurtain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #982 on: October 24, 2021, 12:12:51 pm »
Like running a firmware that isn't 4 years old? (I understand English is not your first language, so no offense taken, but it was obvious I was asking about firmware upgrade safety).

Anyway, I went ahead and backed up the data again, and performed a 1.3.9.x upgrade from 1.2.9.x. It's working fine, although I do want to verify calibration and check that everything is working fine. I did not restore the SN, but that isn't causing any woes.

Some users have reported problems with some calculations coming skewed in the UI (I have to dig into the thread, but not today) during cont sweep.

Offline killingtime

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #983 on: November 01, 2021, 07:27:13 pm »
Hi,

I'm about to buy a SSA3021X Plus (2.1G). As of Nov 2021, is it still possible to upgrade a base model (to 32x Plus) and unlock all sw options?

1. Do you get to use the latest firmware version? The post above mentions a 'skewed UI'.
2. Do you keep the unique serial number?

Particularly interested in the Advanced Measurement option (power measurement in a user defined band), Reflection/VSWR option and Modulation Analysis options. These are quite useful options.

Has anyone tried the VSWR option with a 3rd party reflection bridge? Does the in-built software allow you calibrate out non-linearity in the bridge? If so, I assume the software would ask you to perform an O/S/L cal on the end of the bridge. Nothing in the user manual on the SWR option.

Thanks.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #984 on: November 01, 2021, 07:39:00 pm »
Hi,

I'm about to buy a SSA3021X Plus (2.1G). As of Nov 2021, is it still possible to upgrade a base model (to 32x Plus) and unlock all sw options?

1. Do you get to use the latest firmware version? The post above mentions a 'skewed UI'.
2. Do you keep the unique serial number?

Particularly interested in the Advanced Measurement option (power measurement in a user defined band), Reflection/VSWR option and Modulation Analysis options. These are quite useful options.

Has anyone tried the VSWR option with a 3rd party reflection bridge? Does the in-built software allow you calibrate out non-linearity in the bridge?
Thanks.
Yes, this just the standard process of Normalize where any TG sweep irregularities are nulled.

If so, I assume the software would ask you to perform an O/S/L cal on the end of the bridge. Nothing in the user manual on the SWR option.
OSL Cal is used on a VNA not a SA.
Last time I used the SWR feature in SA mode it was self explanatory but of late I have been spoilt with using a SVA in SA mode for this.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline CDN_Torsten

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional electron whisperer
« Reply #985 on: November 01, 2021, 11:05:46 pm »
On the SSA3021X with an external reflection bridge, the only calibration option is for OPEN.

The following users thanked this post: yo3ggx, Tek14

Offline The_Spectrum.A_idiot

• Contributor
« Reply #986 on: November 04, 2021, 10:35:13 pm »
Dear All ,

can someone post a revised guide for a 3021X (NON PLUS) at SW1 : 1.2.9.2.a? HW:0F.30.00

because I got quite confused and I think there are some "special files missing" ( or guide me somehow OR point me to the right direction ? )

If someone could help me out I would gladly appreciated it.

Thanks

the idiot.

Offline rfspezi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #987 on: November 16, 2021, 10:50:33 am »
I also hacked my SAA3021x years agoe to be a SAA3032x running FW 1.2.9.2.a (HW: 07.03.00).
Telent is open and i would also be happy about some help/guide on how to update to the latest firmware without loosing telnet and the other options.
To be honest, the thread has become too confusing to me.  :-\

Offline nordi

« Reply #988 on: November 24, 2021, 07:37:21 pm »
have anybody tried the TekBox EMCView pre-compliance software (Link) with a hacked Siglent? They state the software will be locked to the SSA's serial number, but wil this work with a hacked unit?
I have the original S/N, but I suppose the unit reports "XXXXXXXX" back to the software?!?

I suppose this is a long shot, but there's likely no workaround for this issue? I'm interested in upgrading my dated SA with a more modern unit with proper features for EMC pre-compliance testing. Still, for personal HAM work, some of the options available would be a nice addon. And to really dive into the deep end, having a chance to enable VNA features by crossgrading to SVA (from SSA3000X+) is really tempting.

I'm having a hard time making my mind about the balance between the features I really need and what are "nice to have". I would definitely benefit from EMCView for wok, but that route seems to block all the other nice possibilities.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #989 on: November 25, 2021, 08:39:53 am »
Can someone please explain to me, what measurements are requir do for EMC? I might eventually add those to my software.

EMC testing is something I have never done, so I would need some assistance.

Offline davorin

• Supporter
« Reply #990 on: December 05, 2021, 09:30:28 pm »
Hi,

Just out of curiosity...did you succeed in turning your 21x plus into a 31x plus?

Wanna give myself a xmas gift and getting me a 3021x as well for upgrading....though not sure if I should better go for the plus version.....although TG is a software option as well...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #991 on: December 05, 2021, 11:23:42 pm »
Hi,

Just out of curiosity...did you succeed in turning your 21x plus into a 31x plus?

Wanna give myself a xmas gift and getting me a 3021x as well for upgrading....though not sure if I should better go for the plus version.....although TG is a software option as well...
Certainly the little more for SSA3021X+ is well worth it....touch and mouse capable, webserver, modulation analysis and a better and dedicated EMI mode.....it's a no brainer and why we have chosen only to stock the Plus model.

BTW all SSA models have TG enabled free of charge.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: 4cx10000

Offline davorin

• Supporter
« Reply #992 on: December 07, 2021, 08:59:01 am »
Well thanks for that clarification......but....

Still don't know if the SSA3021X Plus could be upgraded/modified with current firmware it is shipped.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #993 on: December 07, 2021, 09:15:49 am »
Well thanks for that clarification......but....

Still don't know if the SSA3021X Plus could be upgraded/modified with current firmware it is shipped.
More/better information is in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline sachaw

« Reply #994 on: December 18, 2021, 03:45:56 pm »
For anyone who's interested, I have dug through and found a complete list of SCPI commands avaliable here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sva1015x-1-5ghz-spectrum-vector-network-analyzer-(coming)/msg3881942/#msg3881942

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #995 on: December 18, 2021, 04:31:41 pm »
The list has been vaguely discussed in both SSA/SVA threads.

Note that some commands, if used incorrectly, can mess up your device.

Cheers,
Vitor

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #996 on: January 16, 2022, 10:55:17 am »
Hello,

Attached is a link for another FW I "found" for the SSA3021X: https://we.tl/t-lFH6APawHi

It is the latest firmware release (SSA3000X_1.3.9.7), but it ADDS telnet if not already activated (instead of removing it) and it ADDS the webserver posted by frankvh2: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hack-of-sigllent-spectrum-analyzer-ssa3021x/msg3451746/#msg3451746

Note that all credits for the webserver go to frankvh2!

Just run the update and you get both.

If there is any problem, let me know. It worked fine on my unit. This FW has nothing to do with any license hacks: these are not touched or modified.

UPDATE:
The previous link expired. Here is a new one: https://we.tl/t-f5ZHi6Rhmq
It will expire April, 15th and I will not repost it, so get it now.
Only reposting due to EEVBlog's server downtime...

Regards,
Vitor

Sorry to revive this old post ... but having an SSA3021X successfully hacked with 1.2.9.1 on it  i'm quite interested to upgrade to a recent firmware without losing Telnet support.

I searched a lot on the web and found nothing, could you PLEASE help me in this matter ?

Regards,
Marco

Offline charliedelta

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #997 on: January 21, 2022, 10:33:59 pm »
For precompliance work you could just use the peak detector  and just get radiated and conducted emissions as low as possible.

If you are doing compliant work, you will need the correct EMC bandwidth depending on the frequency range. You can calculate it with 10log(bw1/b2) as a correction factor.

Having a Dbuv scale is a must  for compliance work unless you like wasting a lot of time doing conversions. The Siglent EMC option is worthwhile compared to buying a old clunky slow spectrum analyzer with no emc.

Doing radiated emissions these days in any civilised place is just about impossible since the RF spectrum is so occupied and polluted. You can use a dipole, loop or biconical.

Forget about buying super expensive junk on Ebay( all over priced and no cal certificate) Most of these antennas have worn out RF connectors, mechanical problems  and other issues. Cal certificate data is hard to find. If you pay for a cal you might as well buy a new antenna!!!

The Tekbox biconical  would make a decent antenna since you get  some calibration data. Any antenna with no cal certificate is only useful for relative compliance work and nothing else. Just about all EMC equipment on Ebay   is worn out junk whose prices are ridiculous  for 30 year old rubbish. It is ridiculous how surplus dealers have become. Save and buy new! 

A LISN and a set of decent  of near field probes are a must. Just forget about the Chinese junk PCB near field probes, just make them with decent microwave coax. You need properly shielded probes that is  decoupled for common mode rejection and better balance.

There is no EMC problem that cant be solved if you know what you are doing even with homemade decent equipment that is technically correct. Compliance measurements needs expensive equipment  if you want to just   go below the limit line to pass. 1 or 2 Db is a big deal in EMC when reingineering costs could cost millions!

EMC is testing is relative straightforward with decent equipment, its a nightmare when are using  equipment that is not calibrated. You also need a decent RF silent location even when doing things like 1 meter radiated emissions testing. When you unsure,  shoot for 10Db under the limit lines to be sure if you are using marginal equipment.

Good luck
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 10:42:48 pm by charliedelta »

Offline torchtumeke

« Reply #998 on: February 07, 2022, 02:56:42 pm »
Hi, can anyone help me restore the SN? I have the the SSA plus version now SVA and telnet access.

Offline uouox

« Reply #999 on: February 08, 2022, 06:13:54 am »
Hi, can anyone help me restore the SN? I have the the SSA plus version now SVA and telnet access.

The key has similar generating pattern to the SDS series scope. SSA even gives you a gdbserver for debug. After placing a few breakpoints on the main app you will find the exact string for hash.

The following users thanked this post: IAmBack

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf