Author Topic: Fake Fluke Fuses? (630mA)  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Supply ManTopic starter

Fake Fluke Fuses? (630mA)
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:32:30 am »
About a month ago I bought a lot of Fluke 37s for cheap on ebay. Upon testing them, I discovered that all of them had blown 630mA fuses, so naturally I went and ordered replacements. After receiving them, I noticed that they are completely lacking the markings on the fuse that I had expected from both the old fuses and the pictures I have seen. Further reading about the large amount of cheap/fake fuses on the market in conjunction with the different looking fuses and their low price leads me to think that they are fakes.

I have a few questions. First, where would you guys recommend I buy replacement fuses for my multimeters in the future to avoid this issue? Second, are these at all safe? Will I be seriously risking my equipment/myself if I use them?

Here is the amazon listing I bought them from: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRIM8

I have also included pictures of the original bussman fuses, the new ones I received, and the packaging they came in below.

The original fuses are on the left.

EDIT: Sorry about the massive images, will upload smaller ones next time.

EDIT 2: For some reason I didn't check digikey.

A 5 pack for $10 + shipping doesn't seem so bad: https://www.digikey.com/short/jmc105

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:22:04 am by Supply Man »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Fake Fluke Fuses? (630mA)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 02:17:27 am »
Here is the amazon listing I bought them from: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRIM8
Unless it is sold by Fluke or Amazon, 3rd party sellers on Amazon are hit and miss.  If they are much cheaper than reputable places like Digikey or Mouser, they are likely fake.

The fact that they have no markings should be considered fake.  Get your money back from Amazon's legendary service.

EDIT 2: For some reason I didn't check digikey.

A 5 pack for $10 + shipping doesn't seem so bad: https://www.digikey.com/short/jmc105
With Digikey, you are likely to get the real thing.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 02:35:27 am »
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'm new to this stuff so I figured I'd ask and make sure rather than guess! Will be returning the fuses and buying from digikey. Thanks again! :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 03:24:42 am »
About a month ago I bought a lot of Fluke 37 for cheap on ebay.

Yep, well known problem. Majority of the expensive HRC fuses on ebay would be fake.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 05:25:17 am »
630ma 250 volt fuses would be difficult to stuff up, be they originals or knockoffs

If I can't source reputable replacements, I test a couple of knockoffs in a packet on a test jiggy,

and if rated at 630ma they blow anywhere from 550 to 800ma at 240 volts, with a good fast zap after holding continuous current,

...and glass, metal, and sand don't fly everywhere  :scared: 

then the rest in the packet should do the job

With the higher voltage HRC fuses it's not that easy to test, best is to bite the bullet and get the correct ones     

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 09:54:35 am »
My Fluke 37 has two fuses in series on the mA input jack, a small 630mA fuse in series with a much bigger 2A HRC fuse.

The 630mA fuse is only there to save the expensive 2A fuse from user stupidity. I don't think it matters much if the small fuse is 'genuine' or not, it's the 2A fuse that will save you if you go poking around a substation with one of these.

OTOH it matters that it's 630mA, not some other value and if you've been ripped off you should ask for a refund.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 10:08:48 am »
The fact that they have no markings should be considered fake.  Get your money back from Amazon's legendary service.
They have marking on the caps. They certainly are not Bussmann but I don't know if fluke may use several sources of such fuses. If the seller was amazon itself, I don't think there is high chance of them being fake.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:15:58 am by wraper »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 10:37:46 am »
It looks like legit Fluke packaging to me  :-// 

Check for Amazon comments on that product,

email Fluke support and hope it doesn't get deleted as   s p a m  (as they do sometimes LOL)

Any chance to get those engraved/stamped markings on the suspected fakes enlarged and readable?

OTOH perhaps it's a real deal no frills fuse   Fluke gets them cheaper but still stitches you full retail    

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:43:39 am by Electro Detective »

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 05:52:14 am »
The 630mA fuse is only there to save the expensive 2A fuse from user stupidity. I don't think it matters much if the small fuse is 'genuine' or not, it's the 2A fuse that will save you if you go poking around a substation with one of these.

Good to know. I was wondering why there were 3 fuses. Is this common practice?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 06:04:12 am »
On many vintage Fluke meters yes AFAIK

One internal large HRC fuse ($$ !),

one lower rated user replaceable glass or ceramic fuse,

and one user spare

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 06:18:35 am »

Good to know. I was wondering why there were 3 fuses. Is this common practice?

Not any more.

(and I'd like to know why not, it's a really good idea IMHO)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:43:33 am by Fungus »

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 06:40:11 am »
Have you tried cracking one open to see if it has quenching sand inside?  Worth it just for a bit of fun, my fake fuses from ebay didn't

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 08:16:01 am »
Have you tried cracking one open to see if it has quenching sand inside?  Worth it just for a bit of fun, my fake fuses from ebay didn't

I am gonna return them for refund. Probably shouldn't break one. :P

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 08:28:42 am »

I am gonna return them for refund. Probably shouldn't break one. :P
You still did not say if it was from amazon itself. As if you did not choose another seller, it is. Also you did not post any photo of the fuse markings on caps. With current information, it seem to be concern about nothing. What you buy are 630mA fuses, not bussmann fuses. It's up to Fluke to choose what supplier they use.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:34:56 am by wraper »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 08:37:56 am »
BTW, probably they are Bussman. I see ..USS on one of the caps. Then check how they look on the datasheet http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/19206.pdf?_ga=2.115188551.1542365325.1525681226-1354045019.1503601835
(marking on the caps).
If you want marking on ceramic, those are GDA series http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electronics/Resources/product-datasheets/Bus_Elx_DS_2014_GDA_Series.pdf
As of specs, they are exactly the same thing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:43:28 am by wraper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf