Author Topic: GW Instek GPP-4323  (Read 733 times)

Offline Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
GW Instek GPP-4323
« on: April 01, 2024, 10:40:07 pm »
Hi,

GPP-4323

Four outputs, fairly low ripple, attractive exterior/clean display...
Are there any reasons not to buy this power supply?
I haven't found a showstopper yet and would like to replace it with four separate power supplies for space reasons.

Martin

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Re: GW Instek GPP-4323
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 10:52:04 pm »
That model is well regarded. Mike likes it, and it's discussed here too: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/is-there-a-better-power-supply-option-for-$700/msg5257575/#msg5257575
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline dexar

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 06:13:41 am »
I have had mine for about four years and I am pleased with it.
Quiet and really small but still easy to operate. The interface is well laid out.

A nice touch is the optional load on one of the ports even though I have never used it.

As far as I know there are only one negative thing with it and that is the numbering of the outputs.
Look at the image of it and you will understand what I mean. Why the did that is a mystery for me.

It also has recessed binding posts. This may be a minus or a plus for some users.

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 07:47:14 am »
I've been thinking about buying it for a few years, but I already have another GW Instek PSU more than good enough with a few QOL  problems. I might get to sell a few things and buy that one sometime.
Also, you might already know, but LAN is optional and installed at the factory, if RS232/USB is not enough for your use case.
This thread might be of interest: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/firmware-mod-for-gwinstek-gpp-series-lab-bench-power-supply

There is another thread complaining about the current readback being slow and only showing the instantaneous ADC value, and not the average between samples. (Not useful due to rather slow speed).

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 09:23:09 am »
I have had mine for about four years and I am pleased with it.
Quiet and really small but still easy to operate. The interface is well laid out.

A nice touch is the optional load on one of the ports even though I have never used it.

As far as I know there are only one negative thing with it and that is the numbering of the outputs.
Look at the image of it and you will understand what I mean. Why the did that is a mystery for me.

It also has recessed binding posts. This may be a minus or a plus for some users.
It seems they put the two full-spec channels around the mid-point, as seen on the two-channel version.
Maybe the additional channels are an afterthought in design, or there are mechanical/thermal reasons for the placement. The GPD-4303S has the same layout.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 10:39:19 am »
AFAIK there are two version available. One with recessed banana sockets and one with regular binding posts which also accept a wire.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 10:59:31 am »
Or you can use these for wires:
Wago Cage clamp

They are simply good, up to 2.5mm diameter.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline Lexy

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 11:01:42 am »
I have this model for ~8 months and is a good supply. The reason for me to buy this is it's low ripple, 4 channels and small formfactor.

There are however some things i don't like. The UI is a little to small for my old eyes. The most irritating thing are the (lack of) binding posts. Because they are recessed, the annotations and red/black colors for plus/minus are not clearly visible and i find my self trying to find an angle to see them.

But for the price it's good.

PS.: The PC Software is a piece of crap..

Offline dexar

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 12:47:38 pm »
It seems they put the two full-spec channels around the mid-point, as seen on the two-channel version.
Maybe the additional channels are an afterthought in design, or there are mechanical/thermal reasons for the placement. The GPD-4303S has the same layout.

Even if channels 3 and 4 is an afterthought when it comes to the electronics inside
is it such a big job to just rename them on the GUI and on the labels?

Offline dexar

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 12:49:50 pm »
AFAIK there are two version available. One with recessed banana sockets and one with regular binding posts which also accept a wire.

I think the model for the US market is with regular posts and the recessed for the European market but I may be wrong.

Offline Domitronic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 01:12:42 pm »

We have 3 of them at work. 4323L and 3323L variants. I have used both models and like them. But i have to say that i did not use them for anything special. Just the regular 24V, 5V and so on which pretty much any power supply could do. My colleague used the load function as well for debugging of a small buck converter. He liked the device as well since he could use one channel as power supply and the other channel as load.

But i would recommend to get the variant with LAN interface. Just in case you want to remote control it or do some automation in the future.

https://eleshop.de/gw-instek-gpp-4323-programmable-power-supply-lan.html

Online Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 02:09:10 pm »
I have been using one for almost four years now. A few minor questionable interface choices (to my taste…) but other than that really nice.

I like the feature that allows you connect the two main power channels in series or parallel internally, to extend the voltage or the current range. When you do so, Ch. 1 becomes the master - both channels are controlled by what you enter in Ch. 1 (Ch. 2 is grayed out). If you need 42V, for instance, you have to set the output voltage to 21V, which is displayed on each channel. If you need to increase the output to 43.2V you have to set the output voltage to 21.6V. Not sure if other manufacturers do it the same way, but this doesn’t feel quite natural to me. Basic math though, you get used to…

It perfectly meets its specs, so you don’t expect a great current read-back accuracy at low currents (mA to tens of mA). You might get a read-back current of a few mA even if the actual current is 0. On my copy, one of the main channels reads 3.3mA, the other 2.2mA even if nothing is connected to the output. Again, perfectly within specs (you have to pay much more for better low-current read-back accuracy…), but I have cheaper power supplies that show 0mA when nothing is connected to the output.

It doesn’t quite replace four separate power supplies, as Ch. 3 and Ch. 4 are limited to 5V and 15V, respectively (both max 1A) - but fully controllable.

I used the load capability much more frequently than I expected. It is fully featured (CV, CC, CR), limited to max 3A. Very nice.

I got mine with the LAN option (paid extra $25 at the time), which appeared as an extra-item on the order (as if it was a separate part). However, I believe it must be installed in the factory, you cannot buy the part alone and install it yourself at a later time.

Mine came with binding posts (like all the other power supplies bought in US).

All in all, I like it.

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2024, 09:18:24 pm »
Hi,

It doesn’t quite replace four separate power supplies, as Ch. 3 and Ch. 4 are limited to 5V and 15V, respectively (both max 1A) - but fully controllable.

This.
Most power supply units have these outputs, so this is a nice bonus.
I also have a few other power supplies up to 0-60V.
My decision has been made, the GWInstek will be purchased soon.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf