Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes  (Read 901430 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2018, 11:17:23 pm »
We actually plan to release it after the RIGOL fix their bugs...

I can not believe you're refusing to release the hack method.
Maybe better to wait til the firmware has improved, so there's a hack for a better FW in case future versions get locked down more effectively
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2018, 11:28:05 pm »
Hope the firmware update also addresses the font of the hardware frequency counter...I almost had to throw up. If not, the hack will have to fix this...  ::)

Online TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2018, 12:16:43 am »
We actually plan to release it after the RIGOL fix their bugs...
Which means... NEVER  :-DD

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2018, 12:40:02 am »
rgwan,

Your group is not the only ones who have claimed to have hacked the scope. Others have already made the same claims.  The methodology for hacking it, is to find where the firmware checks the features, and just return true.   the fact that you posted it first, really doesnt make much difference,  someone will have.

You can assume that multiple Rigol dealers have read this, and that this information is already in the hands of Rigol.    What rigol choose to do, will be interesting.  They historically have not made any attempts to stop so-called hacking.   they may see it as a way to actually improve their sales. its entirely possible that the archtiecture was designed so it coudl be hacked.

Your saying it was hacked to 350Mhz, however it seems that Hanxiao was saying 1Ghz? is that correct?

Even if this thread was removed, its still the internet and its gone. you can't make it go away.

On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2018, 12:42:18 am »
Here are their screen shots of a 100MHz square wave and the FFT
Obviously I'm not going to say who they are, but they are sending me something (not related to this) for a video, and went, "oh, BTW, we hacked the MSO5000". It was a friend on their design team who cracked it. They seem legit.

Could you reveal if they are a different team from the china team?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2018, 12:46:37 am »
OK I admit it.... I am the anonymous who patched Hanxiao's oscillscope...Yesterday we made a successful crack to unlock all options and 350Mhz bandwidth.

So...It is pity to made this thing public early...I have to order one now and create a repository to publish our cracking produce...

I request to set this topic hidden in this forum, if RIGOL saw that thread, there would be no cracking at all! I recommend don't discuss this topic until half-year passed...
Taking things off the internet isn't really a thing that exists. It's out here, for better or worse.

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2018, 01:01:57 am »
rgwan,

Your group is not the only ones who have claimed to have hacked the scope. Others have already made the same claims.  The methodology for hacking it, is to find where the firmware checks the features, and just return true.   the fact that you posted it first, really doesnt make much difference,  someone will have.

You can assume that multiple Rigol dealers have read this, and that this information is already in the hands of Rigol.    What rigol choose to do, will be interesting.  They historically have not made any attempts to stop so-called hacking.   they may see it as a way to actually improve their sales. its entirely possible that the archtiecture was designed so it coudl be hacked.

Your saying it was hacked to 350Mhz, however it seems that Hanxiao was saying 1Ghz? is that correct?

Even if this thread was removed, its still the internet and its gone. you can't make it go away.

First, No... I did not make any statement on the analog bandwidth of it. The test is based on an all license on MSO5074 Unit.
Second, the efforts put into hacking is much harder than you thought. They did a fairly good job on license protection (but not the system as a whole).
I wish to see posts from other team that reach this far :P

Right now, all you've got is an unverified claim of a hack. Just like the other teams.     Nobody can verify anybodys claims because nobody can independantly test it.   

Sorry i've confused you with the other team, who it seems have acheived 1Ghz bandwidth.

And from what it seems, the hack is not that hard.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2018, 01:05:44 am »
Is that MSA24xxxxx number  the one ending 00001, the serial number?   

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2018, 01:26:49 am »
I recommend don't discuss this topic until half-year passed...

Are you on a 6-month contract?   ::)

This story is stranger than the licensing protection!  :-DD

BTW, I think it's safe to say that Dave's pics have the same S/N...   

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:42:41 am by tv84 »

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2018, 01:43:04 am »
rgwan,

Rigol has made some attempts to stop hacking. They changed the DSA815 spectrum analyzer keys so that the online tools no longer worked. If they went to the effort to create a reasonable license key system it seems odd they would leave ssh wide open. I have been on the fence trying to decide if they kind of want the 5000 hacked. In this case I think ssh being enabled was some sort of mistake and that we can expect it to be removed in a future release.
VE7FM

Offline vowstar

« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2018, 02:36:26 am »
:)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2018, 03:10:56 am »
I request to set this topic hidden in this forum, if RIGOL saw that thread, there would be no cracking at all! I recommend don't discuss this topic until half-year passed...

Sorry but we don't hide threads here.
I'll happily remove the images I got, but I'm not going to remove anyone else's images or posts, they'll have to do that themselves.

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG, mrpackethead, extide, jnz

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2018, 03:47:21 am »
Once again, I would like to recommend the administrator in this forum hide this thread. It is too dangerous. And Rigol's new 1000Z-S series seems can't be unlock any more. I don't want to see this happen again.

Rigols distributors have read this thread, i know that for a fact.  I would be very suprised if some Rigol people have not read it as well.     

It would not surprise me if in fact, Rigol is deliberately seeding this thread with bits of information to bolster interest, and potentially boost sales. 

Its an interesting Serial number.  Did you get the first one?

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2018, 03:56:07 am »

Sorry but we don't hide threads here.
I'll happily remove the images I got, but I'm not going to remove anyone else's images or posts, they'll have to do that themselves.

Seems team rigol, ( rgwan and freinds ) have come and deleted their pics.. 

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2018, 04:17:29 am »
Noone is going to wait my friend, life is too short. Magic things happened on this forum before, they will happen again.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Hanxiao

« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2018, 05:10:12 am »
For those who are working hard to make this happened. We appreciate the work done by all the people who are taking their time to make this cheap and powerful instrument available to everybody.
However, we have to recognize that the amount of work to make progress on cracking will rise exponentially while RIGOL fixing each of the BUG we use to crack it. When we are talking about profiting the community as a whole, we not only need to consider how soon we could get the joy but more importantly how many people will benefit from it. We admit all the efforts, however, release the crack now is more like to kill the Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs, which sabotages the interests of the whole community.

If you already own one, that is great, now the firmware is patchable and we are able to get everything working, but based on our prediction, the amount of MSO5000 series on the market is just around hundreds of units, let's wait for others. Aside from the factory lead time, there are still tons of BUGs inside the current firmware, from FFT leakage to various BUG in LA. 

Thanks for RIGOL to provide such this relatively cheap instrument with such high performance.

8256485683450c0341861cd090fab646

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, rgwan

Offline vowstar

« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2018, 05:19:17 am »
Also thanks for RIGOL to provide such this relatively cheap instrument with such high performance.

8256485683450c0341861cd090fab646 YOU UNDERSTAND

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2018, 05:25:58 am »
I feel like it is right time for  a sockpuppet accounts check.

Edit: How come you new hacker guys f..ked up so badly with the S/N ...001?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:30:30 am by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2018, 05:35:27 am »
Also thanks for RIGOL to provide such this relatively cheap instrument with such high performance.

8256485683450c0341861cd090fab646 YOU UNDERSTAND

I think we all understand where you guys are coming from but even beyond hacking for other people to get use of it there is the aspect of just being able to do it. I am personally less interested in the scope as a piece of hardware as I already have something in the class. My interest is simply in seeing how much work it is this time. If I knew a hack were out and available I probably wouldn't buy one at all but knowing that even if it is hacked as of now it's a secret makes it even more interesting to me.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2018, 05:38:34 am »
so does this mean that we're going to have another big wave of scopes where no complaints are allowed whiny complaints seem childish because shut up they're cheap and hackable and nobody's forcing you to use one?

FTFY.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:46:00 am by Fungus »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2018, 05:49:41 am »
The point is you can NOT realistically expect this internet crowd here to hold hand in hand singing the song ...

"Just wait ... wait .. till Rigol fix their firmware ...
Rigol is blind not knowing this thread ...
once they fixed it, we will release the hack...
and all will be living happily ever after ..."

... NOT.

Back to pure technical discussion please and refrain from politics , intrigue tactics and etc.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:51:50 am by BravoV »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2018, 05:54:13 am »
The other way o look at is is: If this is hackable then the bean counters at Rigol will see the sales figures of the base model and think, "Why would we try to stop that?"

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2018, 06:06:37 am »
The other way o look at is is: If this is hackable then the bean counters at Rigol will see the sales figures of the base model and think, "Why would we try to stop that?"

My gut feeling is that our new guests on this forum are actually from Rigol and are just doing some marketing to drum up some interest.  If that is the case, then its a new spin on what the PCB fabs were doing for a while. :-)

I know of two groups, one in the US and one in Europe who are both working on this and one of them will post a hack as soon as they have it sorted, there is a few other users who are tinkering as well.   I dont' have a scope yet ( get it in Jan ), and when i do, i'll be keen to see how the hacks work, but if i use the features, i'll just be doign the boring thing and paying for it.  ( because thats the right thing to do ).

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2018, 07:55:08 am »
Sure - Rigol, distributors, competitors, customers, hackers - all may read and contribute to this thread. You cannot avoid that. It has no sense to elaborate who is who here.. Let us wait on some real results we may test.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2018, 08:02:34 am »
30A989AFC82C0A21139573591DE4E5FF37994F7D1506A9ACF2B5997005C2649F

Without any evidence of a hack, the people claiming it are losing face ( 丢脸 ) very quickly.     
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:08:54 am by mrpackethead »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf