Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes  (Read 901647 times)

Protegimus and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Reply #1975 on: April 09, 2021, 10:07:36 am »
Hi guys!
I just received my MSO5074. I also got the offer with included MSO5000-BND (which I understand I will receive as a separate license). If I want to try the hack will I lose the included licence? What happens if I switch back to the original firmware? Thanks!

The license will be in effect every time you are on stock FW. Every time you have a patch it'll override the license.

The following users thanked this post: keenox

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1976 on: April 09, 2021, 12:17:59 pm »
I have few questions, possible they have been answered before but I can't find it.

1. If I want to switch back to the stock firmware, is the only option to do that is the secret menu (single key)
2. Is this the same method used to downgrade a stock firmware.
3. I read somewhere that using the secret menu option will erase the factory calibration, is that true and how is this calibration different from the self calibration.
4. is there a method of restoring factory calibration.

Offline MartinMajewski

« Reply #1977 on: April 11, 2021, 02:40:11 pm »
It tells me that the checksum is wrong.

Does your summary rely on a previous stock upgrade to 01_03_00_01 or does it include that update? The first bullet point is a bit misleading.

Thanks for your effort!

Offline MartinMajewski

« Reply #1978 on: April 11, 2021, 03:13:34 pm »
So the "Liberator" archive didn't work for me.

I went with the files I mentioned in my own post #1971 on page 79. They worked flawlessly!

However, because of all the checksum confusion, I've firstly upgraded the MSO5074 with the official GEL from RIGOL to version 01.03.00.01 and did the patch with the three files (of which one is also a GEL file, but somehow I think this was not even needed?!) from the post mentioned above.

I think the biggest confusion comes from the purpose of these three files.

The GEL file is the firmware image, right?
The patch.txt file is the entry point containing the path to the actual patch, which is the bspatch file, as well as the checksums.

Is the GEL file considered anyway when the white screen appears? If you patch with only the GEL file you get a GUI message with a progress bar. If the patch.txt and .bspatch files are present you end up in the white CLI window.

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1979 on: April 12, 2021, 01:37:10 pm »
While I have not applied the patch, from going through the thread I noted the following. There are 2 versions of the 01.03.00.01 firmware, one with a May build date and another I think April. Although they share the same firmware number, it appears there is some difference in the contents and so another patch had to be done for the later build date. That's why the checksum error is received.

The GEL file for the hack is used to automate the procedure to  modify the appEntry file and is not a firmware. The bspatch.txt allows the GEL file to check that the appEntry image on the scope is correct for the patch being installed  and also that the produced patched appEntry file matches the expected checksum before being copied to the scope. The bspatch contains the changes to be applied, it is the patch.

Persons can correct me if I am incorrect.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:00:16 am by normi »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1980 on: April 12, 2021, 03:49:57 pm »
Persons can correct me if I am incorrect.

That's basically correct.

The .GEL includes the bspatch application and is mandatory to trick the scope's update process. It could contain the .txt and the .diff files (like people are used to have only a FW .GEL packed file) BUT that would make us have to build a new .GEL every time there is a new update.

With this logic, the .GEL is always the same and, people just adjust the MD5 checks .txt file and the .diff file for the patching.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 03:51:42 pm by tv84 »

Offline Vespamike

« Reply #1981 on: April 19, 2021, 08:50:51 am »
hello everyone..thank you toraunaoper for the excellent work! a question hoping not to go off topic: I found that at each start of the oscilloscope the LAN settings and the display of the background grid with the values ​​of the scales are reset ... as they are settings it seems strange to me that at each start need to reset ... to you it turns out?

Online MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1982 on: April 19, 2021, 08:53:30 am »
Have you enabled the option to save settings after power off?

The following users thanked this post: Vespamike

Offline Vespamike

« Reply #1983 on: April 19, 2021, 06:45:23 pm »
you were right .. I missed the option of "Power ON" to "Last"!  |O thanks!!

Offline Panerist

« Reply #1984 on: April 24, 2021, 05:26:04 pm »
Does the print function work for anyone? I upgraded to the latest firmware and applied a patch from a post that said it's supposed to stop the scope from "phoning home." Networking does work. I can access the scope through my browser. But when I try to print to my LaserJet the scope always says "Printer Busy."

I have the same problem. "Printer is busy" all the time.

Offline BarsMonster

• Contributor
    • Microchips internals
« Reply #1985 on: May 01, 2021, 10:33:58 pm »
Do I understand it correctly that only MSO5000 series are unlockable, and 7000 or any higher series (7000/8000) are not?
There are very few mentions that 7000 might be similar....
Microchips internals: http://zeptobars.com/

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

The following users thanked this post: BarsMonster

Offline metro

« Reply #1987 on: May 15, 2021, 01:47:31 am »
When reading this megathread, I was left curious if all of this works with the brand new scope as well, as compared to the scopes that were sold a year, or two, or four ago.

In the interest of documenting this: the procedure does work as of May 2021 with a brand new MSO5072 scope directly shipped from rigol's official aliexpress shop.

Before getting my scope I really wasn't sure if a newly sold scope could also be unlocked like this. Interpreting the life-story of hacking an oscilloscope in an 80page thread that started 4 years ago can be difficult at times. In the interested of the next one walking down the path that I just did in the past week or so, I thought I'd assert a few things. As of May 2021:
  • A brand new, freshly manufactured, fancy-wrapped MSO5072 still does still come with FW 01.03.00.01, build 2020-05-18. There is no new, magic sauce that would prevent you from unlocking.
  • A 2-Channel MSO5072 can become a 4-channel MSO5354 and also can use its digital piggytail.
  • The firmware upgrade process files and procedure here works like a charm:
    Bob's your uncle

Thank you kindly dear Sirs and Madams involved in this process. Saved my butt. Hope this helps whoever comes after me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:53:18 am by metro »

The following users thanked this post: ashik

Offline brunortt

« Reply #1988 on: May 20, 2021, 11:09:40 am »
Good afternoon,

Today my rigol MSO5072 arrived.

So I used your previous mail files, placed in root of a 16GB fat32 formatted usb key.

Inserted in the rigol, the oscilloscope turns on without doing the self-update.

I go to a local update menu and it worked.

after a few presses of any key, All full

My firmware was version 01.03.00.01 from May.

I thank everyone for their help.

Regards

Offline stmcore

« Reply #1989 on: May 22, 2021, 10:23:18 pm »
RIGOL Starts 2021 with a Rebrand.

https://int.rigol.com/NEWS/Blog/113.html

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1990 on: May 23, 2021, 08:35:42 am »
RIGOL Starts 2021 with a Rebrand.

Maybe this will ensure some FW updates...  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: jjoonathan, Sighound36

Offline bmx

• Contributor
« Reply #1991 on: May 24, 2021, 10:58:34 am »
There are two different FW 01_03_00_01:
  -March 2020
  -May 2020

Does any one know the inners difference? I can't find anywhere the May package. The rigolee repo does contain the March one, not the May one.
I checked on every known to me rigol.xx site. na has march, eu march, com march.
That's also why so many people were confused, and freaking out.
Add to that the incompetency of rigol staff in zip/rar management/name convention...

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1992 on: May 25, 2021, 04:21:45 pm »
There are two different FW 01_03_00_01:
  -March 2020
  -May 2020

Does any one know the inners difference? I can't find anywhere the May package. The rigolee repo does contain the March one, not the May one.
I checked on every known to me rigol.xx site. na has march, eu march, com march.
That's also why so many people were confused, and freaking out.
Add to that the incompetency of rigol staff in zip/rar management/name convention...

The May version is shipped with new scopes, I am not aware of a download for it. For the MSO7000 the firmware shipped is also newer than what's on the website. It won't hurt to call or send and email and ask them for the May version, worst they can say is no. As to whether they are the same; I have not heard anyone notice a difference.
There are newer versions of the firmware which are available but have not been published, you can also ask for those if you have an issue which is fixed by that firmware.

Offline bmx

• Contributor
« Reply #1993 on: May 27, 2021, 04:53:53 am »
Well, calling them is a no-no to me.
The usual way to look for differences is not to ask the developers what they did but look inside de bits and bytes or what they produced.
So, since a patch.txt was made for the May version, my guess is that someone have dumped the May GEL (or at least the AppEntry), and only forgot to commit it somewhere?

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1994 on: May 27, 2021, 06:44:35 pm »
Well, calling them is a no-no to me.
The usual way to look for differences is not to ask the developers what they did but look inside de bits and bytes or what they produced.
So, since a patch.txt was made for the May version, my guess is that someone have dumped the May GEL (or at least the AppEntry), and only forgot to commit it somewhere?

They most likely ssh to the scope and pulled the AppEntry, then compared changes to previous versions patched, they would then create a bspatch for the difference. Without the complete firmware GEL  file you would not be able to reinstall the May version.

Offline Bibbbi

« Reply #1995 on: July 07, 2021, 11:08:21 am »
Hi,

Today my Rigol MSO5072 arrived as well.
I have formatted a 64GB USB Stick via RUFUS to FAT32. ( https://rufus.ie/en/ )
After that I copied the 3 files from the May Update to the root of the USB Stick.
I plugged the USB stick into the front of the Rigol, powered on, and ran the self-update.
Everything worked fine. My firmware was version 01.03.00.01 from May.

I thank everyone for their help.

Best regards
Bibbbi

The following users thanked this post: atembedded

Offline h2oo

« Reply #1996 on: July 08, 2021, 09:12:59 am »
Soooooo, I have to ask some seriously dumb question. Rigol did it again, just selling the EXACT same hardware as 6 different devices? Just by disabling some features in the firmware. I was reading a lot of post, is it correct that there is only one ADC in the device therefore the Samplebandwith gets split up within the active probe channels? ---> channel 3/4 are working flawless even with a bought MSO5072?

MSO5072    70 MHz (aufrüstbar)    2    < 5 ns          Option    Option
MSO5074    70 MHz (aufrüstbar)    4    < 5 ns          Option    Option
MSO5102    100 MHz (aufrüstbar)    2    < 3.5 ns           Option    Option
MSO5104    100 MHz (aufrüstbar)    4    < 3.5 ns           Option    Option
MSO5204    200 MHz (aufrüstbar)    4    < 1.75 ns    Option    Option
MSO5354    350 MHz                    4    < 1.75 ns    Option    Option

So I'm really upvoting this to be my Rigol 1052E successor (and I'm not going to buy the 1054Z)......

Online MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1997 on: July 08, 2021, 09:16:04 am »
Rigol did it again, just selling the EXACT same hardware as 6 different devices? Just by disabling some features in the firmware.
Yes!

The following users thanked this post: h2oo

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1998 on: July 08, 2021, 09:16:33 am »
Soooooo, I have to ask some seriously dumb question. Rigol did it again, just selling the EXACT same hardware as 6 different devices? Just by disabling some features in the firmware. ......
No different to several other brands.....you should do some more research.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1999 on: July 08, 2021, 09:35:24 am »
Welcome to the reality of mass production, sales and margins  :) A great many manufacturers will  be using this modular approach to for the HW & SW, its not just the test & Measurment industry that uses these models.

How on do you think a Rigol or any other brand at these price points makes money on a £400 scope?  it's shipped, import charges and any vat is added you need to a lot of the low end models to start making any kind of profit. So by spreading the load across numerous models they can recoup the R&D costs.

Do you think Tek, R&S and Keysight are not the same with the lower and mid priced scopes?. The only reason the more high end scopes are not 'unlocked' to such a degree is purely cost and physically getting your grubby mits on an actual unit!

You do have the added issue of if you drop a boo boo and its totally bricks up  :-BROKE your £50K+ test gear, somehow the manufacturer *may* not cover this under warranty  :-//

If you wish to purchase quite complex and reasonably accuracte bench test equipment for what 'back in the day lad' would have cost the equivlient of close to 10 years salarly in the mid 80's to under £500 then you have to understand the laws of what we affectionately 'banging 'em cheap'

So nothing new here at all.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 09:20:07 am by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf