Author Topic: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown  (Read 254945 times)

MalikovVV and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown
« Reply #1975 on: February 20, 2024, 06:03:43 pm »
Catastrophe. For some reason I turned on "Simulation of a second display" in the developer settings. Never do that :))) I could barely get it back into working order :)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, AceyTech, Randy222

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1976 on: February 20, 2024, 06:06:41 pm »
Just quick question, anyone with root access tried to change DPI in Android on these devices?
I changed the DPI in the developer settings from native 421 to 600. The Android interface changes, it becomes smaller, but the oscilloscope application interface remains unchanged.

Offline profrook

« Reply #1977 on: February 21, 2024, 01:20:17 pm »
Just quick question, anyone with root access tried to change DPI in Android on these devices?
I changed the DPI in the developer settings from native 421 to 600. The Android interface changes, it becomes smaller, but the oscilloscope application interface remains unchanged.

So there is no hope without recompiling application APK.
My idea was to set higher DPI and use external monitor, thus gaining a lot of "working area".

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1978 on: February 21, 2024, 01:48:19 pm »
My idea was to set higher DPI and use external monitor, thus gaining a lot of "working area".

I wouldn't expect this to work even with a recompiled application. The underlying XY resolution and size of the traces is probably determined by the FPGA which handles the data acquisition and the "digital phosphor" rendering.

The following users thanked this post: AceyTech

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1979 on: February 21, 2024, 02:01:23 pm »
Yes, I tried with an external display too, it doesn't work. By the way, enabling 4k resolution (3840x2160) in HDMI properties does not improve the interface image. One gets the impression that when the resolution is higher than native (1024x600), the image is simply scaled.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1980 on: February 21, 2024, 02:55:07 pm »
Yes, I tried with an external display too, it doesn't work. By the way, enabling 4k resolution (3840x2160) in HDMI properties does not improve the interface image. One gets the impression that when the resolution is higher than native (1024x600), the image is simply scaled.
Scaling is the only way it can output a lower resolution to a much higher resolution canvas. The math used for interpolation matters, the conversion needs to fill-in pixels that were not there in original. In simple terms, scaling adds artifacts, but done using interpolation (nearest neighbor, etc) to do it's best to make an acceptable gradient. I myself don't like scalers in video. Best pic is a screen res that matches source res, no added artifacts. In some cases this means a large native canvas should get a 1:1 pixel match with the source centered on the canvas.

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1981 on: February 21, 2024, 04:22:16 pm »
Scaling is the only way it can output a lower resolution to a much higher resolution canvas. The math used for interpolation matters, the conversion needs to fill-in pixels that were not there in original. In simple terms, scaling adds artifacts, but done using interpolation (nearest neighbor, etc) to do it's best to make an acceptable gradient. I myself don't like scalers in video. Best pic is a screen res that matches source res, no added artifacts. In some cases this means a large native canvas should get a 1:1 pixel match with the source centered on the canvas.
There is another option: generate an image whose resolution matches the connected display. Windows, for example, does exactly this.

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1982 on: February 21, 2024, 06:08:17 pm »
There is another option: generate an image whose resolution matches the connected display. Windows, for example, does exactly this.
That's what I meant by 1:1.

if the phys screen canvass is 1920x1080, and image painted to that screen that is not exactly 1920x1080 will be scaled, or manipulated in some way to fit the canvas. A pic bigger than native canvas has to be scaled down, pic smaller than native canvas can be shown 1:1, but it will be boxed by border.

I found where Scope app forces screen res, it's in the manifest
Code: [Select]
<meta-data android:name="design_width_in_dp" android:value="1024"/>
        <meta-data android:name="design_height_in_dp" android:value="600"/>

I'll expand more in hacking thread.

Offline gabiz_ro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1983 on: February 29, 2024, 08:52:36 pm »
Did anyone uploaded or can upload if available good quality photos of AFG module?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1984 on: February 29, 2024, 08:58:40 pm »
Did anyone uploaded or can upload if available good quality photos of AFG module?

There are some photos in this post, but I seem to remember having seen better ones:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-dho800900-scope/msg5074783/#msg5074783

Edit: Higher-re photos here.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/awg-in-rigol-dho900s/msg5088559/#msg5088559

If nobody else chimes in, ping Mechatrommer via PM. He should know, since he is working on his own replica of the AFG.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 09:00:48 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: gabiz_ro

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #1985 on: February 29, 2024, 11:05:15 pm »
If nobody else chimes in, ping Mechatrommer via PM. He should know, since he is working on his own replica of the AFG.
my replica is nowhere near the original board. though i saw pictures from souldevelop https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigols-new-dho800-oscilloscope-unbox-teardown/msg5051812/#msg5051812 trying to understand it from pictures alone is impossible for me, so i can just guess the topology is very close to my Uni-T UTG962 AFG... so my replica is closely simplistic/minimalistic version of that, so thats the hint.

the real fun was to reverse engineer what every pin does on the 40 and 10 pins breakout using DS1054Z, arduino uno and my crappy PC SW. there are still 3 pins left that are very unknown to me, probably feedback input i'm not sure, so i dont want you people to miss that fun finding ;D probably some of you people already saw my youtube video on soldering its interface pins, but its not ready yet to publish here, cheers.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline gabiz_ro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1986 on: February 29, 2024, 11:41:16 pm »
@Mechatrommer
I watched youtube video long ago.
First time I think your PCB design is different but then I see relays they are at 12V so clearly was another schematics.

I try to identify what IC are using and stuck on DC-DC converted some say is marked 04460 but for me looks like 64468 or 6446Q
There is another one that looks like same package on mainboard marked 61460 that may be Texas Instruments LM61460

Hope to hear news from you soon.

Offline SpurreDK

« Reply #1987 on: March 18, 2024, 05:29:17 am »
A 3D printed bracket for battery and USB hub. WIFI dongle has been ordered :-)

Offline LektroiD

• Frequent Contributor
  • If it didn't explode, I'm happy.
    • Music here
« Reply #1988 on: March 22, 2024, 04:34:54 pm »
Is it possible to record and save a video of what is on the display, rather than a static picture?

I've searched the manual, maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, or maybe it just doesn't do it?

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1989 on: March 22, 2024, 04:46:11 pm »
Is it possible to record and save a video of what is on the display, rather than a static picture?

I've searched the manual, maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, or maybe it just doesn't do it?
If we're talking about scope's own capabilities, then I think there's no way. One possibility is to open the web control page and use a screen recorder. The downside there is the quality loss: for whatever stupid reason, the web control app scales the original 1024x600 image up to 1280x750 pixels, and uses some pixel interpolation algorithm, which produces a blurry image (I wonder if there's any way to disable this scale-up -- might be possible!). Resizing it back to 1024x600 does not restore the original quality which you can get with the in-scope screenshots.

The following users thanked this post: LektroiD

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #1990 on: March 22, 2024, 05:08:39 pm »
DHO800_UserGuide_EN.pdf page 187 (and page 222), see attached.. although istr it only saves into dso, not sure which file is it or if its possible to transfer to usb drive. btw i use my VisaDSO app to do wave recording and analysis... ymmv.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 05:13:43 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1991 on: March 23, 2024, 01:11:50 am »
If we're talking about scope's own capabilities, then I think there's no way.
There is!

This saves screen recording in an mp4 video file and creates a download link. However, it's not in the native resolution again! This time it's upscaled to 1920x1080. It looks like there are no software quality assurance processes at Rigol whatsoever. Either that, or some bright head made this decision deliberately and it is to be considered a feature.

Bit rate is quite high, my quick test used 7.3MB for a 20-sec capture. Watch out for free space on the SD card for longer vids.

I'm trying to hack the webcontrol app and build a fixed apk, but there are some technical difficulties. Will post my updates in the hacking thread if I have any success with this piece of crap.

Offline Vigii

« Reply #1992 on: March 23, 2024, 08:51:49 pm »
Hi, I bought a DHO804 and I want to make measurements between cursor (in Tektronix terminology) or gated measurements (in Keysight terminology).
I tried to do measurements in zoom view with Rigol but it seems to have some bugs or maybe I misunderstood the function.

I think this is a very elementary function and I really don't understand why Rigol puts effort into some advanced stuff (mostly useless) loosing some basic feature like this...

Is there any way to contact Rigol to add this simple basic feature?

Or maybe I can show you the measurements in zoom mode (that can potentially substitute measurements between cursor) that, to me, looks wrong?

Thank you!

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1993 on: March 23, 2024, 09:56:01 pm »
Hi, I bought a DHO804 and I want to make measurements between cursor (in Tektronix terminology) or gated measurements (in Keysight terminology).
I tried to do measurements in zoom view with Rigol but it seems to have some bugs or maybe I misunderstood the function.

I think this is a very elementary function and I really don't understand why Rigol puts effort into some advanced stuff (mostly useless) loosing some basic feature like this...

Is there any way to contact Rigol to add this simple basic feature?

Or maybe I can show you the measurements in zoom mode (that can potentially substitute measurements between cursor) that, to me, looks wrong?

Thank you!

It looks like it doesn't update the measurements in zoom mode.Bug?

There is a section in the measurement settings menu
"Region" here you can choose Main and Zoom
But for some reason it doesn't work.. Bug...

Capture all the pulses you want to measure on the display without zooming.
If there are a lot of them and you can't see them properly on the screen, then set the horizontal scale to a smaller time base, "zoom in, but not with the zoom function", after pressing a pause.
Switch on what you want to measure.
And start dragging the signal on the display to the right and left.
For the +Width measurement, it seems to me that it measures a pulse closer to the vertical center line.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 10:04:24 pm by csuhi17 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf