Author Topic: open source GPIB adapter  (Read 28025 times)

Offline dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
Re: open source GPIB adapter
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2024, 11:17:35 am »
Hi
OK I have made those changes.
I should add a cap to the second gpib connector but that would mess up my text layout. 
I don't intend fitting the C/R, unless I have to.
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2024, 11:46:39 am »
I don't intend fitting the C/R, unless I have to.

Nope, C/R not really needed.  Just leave shield connection intact through the cable and keep it separate from logic ground, and obviously use the logic ground for the LA/scope connection.
It doesn't hurt to have the 1M resistor between shield and ground as you have it, but that may also already exist in one of your other devices on the bus.

If you have extra PCBs/connectors than I'd be happy to contribute some $ towards one or two and the cost of postage to Sydney.
I have a bunch of GPIB/HPIB gear in the office lab and at my home, spread across several benches, and with some still needing repairs.

Offline dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #177 on: April 10, 2024, 11:14:13 am »
If you have extra PCBs/connectors than I'd be happy to contribute some $ towards one or two and the cost of postage to Sydney.

I was planning on selling the spare ones on the local auction website.  I know  there are a few people watching my blog posts.  It will be easy enough to send one over the water. 

I am also looking at putting the pcb design into pcbway projects.  Mine would be the only project on pcbway that includes "gpib" so I am probably about 30 years late in designing a break out board.

I try and do pcbs in batches to reduce shipping costs. I may be a while before I am ready to get them made. 
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?

The following users thanked this post: Kean, pdenisowski

Offline dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2024, 05:22:01 am »
Hi
OK I have settled on a final version of the gpib breakout board.

The most significant change is the addition of notches that are almost mounting holes.
I usually include mounting holes, but I think if anyone makes one of these, they are unlikely to make an enclosure.
If they want to 3D print an enclosure, they can include keys in the print to match the notches, or
they can use M3 screws.

I have refined the text on the silk screen to make it easier to use.  It should not be necessary to refer to standards or pinouts to use this board.
Dazz

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2024, 06:37:08 am »
Test is it ?
Unconnected NET pin 1 J3.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #180 on: April 11, 2024, 08:44:33 am »
Test is it ?

No not quite.  The pcb is correct.  That pin, and the one on the other header are "V" on the HP logic analyser 40 pin pseudo standard.  "V" is not connected on my scope.  So this connection would only be active if a HP LA was connected, and the other header was connected to something that needed "V". That is extremely unlikely but it didn't cost anything to add the track, and the other LA signals not used by the scope.  So all good.

Also pin 5 is NC on the HP standard.

Edit: On closer inspection, the line indicates the "J3" label is linked to the connector, because I had selected the J3 label.  So no problem but well spotted.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 09:07:32 am by dazz1 »
Dazz

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #181 on: April 11, 2024, 09:14:13 am »
Test is it ?

No not quite.  The pcb is correct.  That pin, and the one on the other header are "V" on the HP logic analyser 40 pin pseudo standard.  "V" is not connected on my scope.  So this connection would only be active if a HP LA was connected, and the other header was connected to something that needed "V". That is extremely unlikely but it didn't cost anything to add the track, and the other LA signals not used by the scope.  So all good.

Also pin 5 is NC on the HP standard.

Edit: On closer inspection, the line indicates the "J3" label is linked to the connector, because I had selected the J3 label.  So no problem but well spotted.
Not what I spotted.....the little arrow on the Pin 1 trace that the ratsnest link connects to.
I believe with your editor this indicates a not fully terminated NET.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #182 on: April 11, 2024, 09:23:44 am »

Not what I spotted.....the little arrow on the Pin 1 trace that the ratsnest link connects to.
I believe with your editor this indicates a not fully terminated NET.

It's a warning about pin 1 pad attributes not matching the symbol.  Not an open net and not a problem.
Dazz

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
Re: open source GPIB adapter : Shared on PCBway
« Reply #183 on: April 12, 2024, 04:22:44 am »
Hi
I have shared my GPIB breakout board on PCBway here:
https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/GPIB_Break_Out_Board_f7812b3e.html

I have order parts for 5x boards, because of MOQ's so I will have 4x for sale.
Dazz

The following users thanked this post: Kean, pdenisowski

Offline dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
Re: open source GPIB adapter : Shared on PCBway
« Reply #184 on: Today at 03:39:07 am »
Hi
I have shared my GPIB breakout board on PCBway here:
https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/GPIB_Break_Out_Board_f7812b3e.html

I have order parts for 5x boards, because of MOQ's so I will have 4x for sale.

Hi
I have made the first GPIB breakout board and updated the pcbway share project, available for ordering your own board.
I now have 4x spare boards and parts available for sale.  Cheaper than buying parts and boards for one, like I have done.
As you can see, it plugs directly into the HP Logic Analyser cable.  It would be easy to make up a cable to adapt the GPIB breakout connector to another make/model of LA.
In addition, the signals are also exposed on a separate header.
Dazz

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf