Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes  (Read 901545 times)

Offline KeBeNe

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Reply #875 on: March 04, 2019, 06:15:13 am »
The patch from Mable works here without problems :-+

Offline The Doktor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #876 on: March 04, 2019, 07:53:17 am »
I'm not much of a Linux guru. How do I back up my calibration data, and how do I restore it after upgrade/patch?

Ed

Offline mabl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #877 on: March 04, 2019, 09:26:20 am »
I'm not much of a Linux guru. How do I back up my calibration data, and how do I restore it after upgrade/patch?

Creating a backup (copying all files including licences to be sure)
Code: [Select]
mkdir /media/sda1/calib_backup
cp -v /rigol/data/* /media/sda1/calib_backup
sync

Copying back the calibration (Only the calibration files)
cp -v /media/sda1/calib_backup/*.hex /rigol/data/
sync

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Fungus, luma, el_man, EddyCurrent, NoisyBoy, offmar, Varz, satellit72

Offline ttt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #878 on: March 04, 2019, 10:00:18 pm »
Another success story here using mabl's patches with a MSO5074 fresh out of the box, delivered today by UPS. Firmware I got out of the box is 00.01.01.04.04.

To be on the safe side I first made a backup of the entire /rigol folder using the SSH only .GEL patch:

> scp -r root@mso5000.local.lan:/rigol ./

SSH password is 'Rigol201' in case this got lost again, had a hard time finding this in all the posts...

After that I applied the second patch. Of note is that I had to rename 'DS5000Update_patch_01_01_04_04_usb.GEL' to 'DS5000Update.GEL', otherwise it would not detect the upgrade file.

Scope is now fully unlocked. No issues with calibration.

Awesome work!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:12:04 pm by ttt »

The following users thanked this post: Fluffhamster

Offline Commodore8888

• Contributor
« Reply #879 on: March 04, 2019, 11:00:58 pm »
An interesting note regarding the overshoots with help from Mabl.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/new-rigol-scope/msg2241315/#msg2241315

TLDR, copied known working cal from Mabl, tried on scope with bad overshoots running 02.03 firmware. Overshoots gone. "Magic"  :-DD
Mike D

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #880 on: March 04, 2019, 11:25:42 pm »
mabl,

Please include in your script before the

linux_checkPackage;
linux_checkHeader;

the command:

cp -vrf /rigol/data  /media/sda1/data/

so that everybody gets a backup of their /data directory without further troubles.

The following users thanked this post: Fluffhamster

Offline guypayeur

« Reply #881 on: March 05, 2019, 05:45:39 am »
Another MSO5074 patched OK (from 01.01.02.03)
Perfect first time, no problem with usb drive using SanDisk 4Go.
Did a backup of my calibration files as suggested, but not sure what to do with them beside a downgrading if needed.
Currently running a selfcal for the first time.
Should I see some diff between calibration files after selfcal?

Here is the steps I did:
ssh local_ip_address using user=root password=root

mkdir /media/sda1/calib_backup
cp -v /rigol/data/* /media/sda1/calib_backup
sync

copy DS5000Update_01.01.04.04.GEL to usb drive (official update)
rename DS5000Update_01.01.04.04.GEL to DS5000Update.GEL
perform a scope local upgrade from the usb drive
scope hard restart

delete DS5000Update.GEL from usb drive
copy DS5000Update_patch_01_01_04_04_usb.GEL to usb drive (patch update)
rename DS5000Update_patch_01_01_04_04_usb.GEL to DS5000Update.GEL
perform a scope local upgrade from the usb drive
scope hard restart

delete DS5000Update.GEL from usb drive (so you be ready for the next upgrade/patch  :popcorn:)

Your are done

Thanks for all the hard work doing this patch

The following users thanked this post: dren.dk, tcottle, NoisyBoy, Bax, Varz

Offline el_man

• Contributor
« Reply #882 on: March 05, 2019, 02:39:14 pm »
Hello to Everyone!

First a Big Thank you to mabl! for his excellent job and great contribution to the community.
My scope came with 01.01.02.03 firmware. Fortunately mine (from batterfly.com) was without any overshoots or what so ever on all 4 channels even after selfcal procedure.

After upgrading the firmware (prior to that I’ve made a backup) to 01.01.04.04, I found that the calibration files didn’t change at all and everything remains perfect. Even though I’ve made a calibration with the new firmware and notice that in the window (before starting the calibaration) was displayed the date of my previous calibration. Lucky for me this calibration went flawlessly and didn’t change any of the 4 channels - everything remains as flat as it was.

These are my “lfcal.hex” before and after - which interestingly enough in my case are the SAME. May be they are something unit specific.

- some screenshots 1) before, 2) after upgrade with previous calibration and 3) after upgrade with new calibration.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 05:37:54 pm by el_man »

Offline tcottle

• Contributor
« Reply #883 on: March 05, 2019, 02:42:47 pm »
Followed guypayeur steps this morning and the upgrade went through without problems.  :-+  My scope exhibits a slight overshoot on a 10x probe and it is still there after.

The readme on the v00.01.01.04.04 firmware has this entry " - Reduced the noise amplitude of the waveform. "   A definite improvement on my scope.  Before the upgrade my scope show 2.5 minor divisions of noise even with the persistence set to min and intensity to 1.  With the new firmware it is about 1 minor division.  Super happy with the change

After the update patch I rebooted and then went to adjust the Persistence and and Intensity.  The Intensity button was grayed out and unresponsive(!)  I pressed the Default button and the Intensity button function is restored.  Whew

Thanks again to all who worked on this and especially to Mabl for the patch!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:46:00 pm by tcottle »

Offline kwinz

« Reply #884 on: March 05, 2019, 03:29:37 pm »
I ordered an MSO5074, beginning on Februrary from my distributor supposed to be delivered End of February.
Now they say they won't be restocked by Rigol until end of March.

I am afraid when they are restocked it will be with patched firmware scopes....

Offline el_man

• Contributor
« Reply #885 on: March 05, 2019, 04:13:11 pm »
I ordered an MSO5074, beginning on Februrary from my distributor supposed to be delivered End of February.
Now they say they won't be restocked by Rigol until end of March.

I am afraid when they are restocked it will be with patched firmware scopes....

If you can cancel your order batterfly . com have them in stock right now, I've bought mine from there and was sent on the next day with free shipping

The following users thanked this post: kwinz

Offline eddiea6987

• Contributor
« Reply #886 on: March 05, 2019, 07:15:44 pm »
would this enable the logic analyzer? so i can pick up some probes?

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #887 on: March 05, 2019, 07:27:33 pm »
would this enable the logic analyzer? so i can pick up some probes?

It doesn’t need a licence or a hack to enable it, just the probes.

Offline oliv3r

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #888 on: March 05, 2019, 07:29:37 pm »
So bottom line - it worked here although I have some more work to do to make SSH on permanently.
SSH is enabled/disabled via /etc/init.d/rcS which is stored in the initramfs of the linux system. So every change there will be non-permanent.

You can best however add it to /rigol/shell/start.sh somewhere at the top (before appEntry starts). I'm fairly certain that you don't need to background it; so all that is needed:
#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/sshd

export QTDIR=/rigol/Qt5.5

is what you'd need to do. Note, that if you make a mistake here, will have to re-install the firmware to undo this change :) (but i'm 99.9% certain that this will be fine)

Offline dren.dk

• Regular Contributor
  • Software developer, dabbling in electronics
    • Dren.dk
« Reply #889 on: March 05, 2019, 07:49:26 pm »
The Rigol LA probe is a bit spendy, so I designed my own: https://gitlab.com/dren.dk/mso5k-la-pod

Actually others have done the same in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rpl1116-active-logic-probe-pod-for-1000z-series-teardown/new/?topicseen#new

My parts just shipped from Mouser, so I expect to have three working LA probe sets done next week or so.

The following users thanked this post: Varz

Offline eddiea6987

• Contributor
« Reply #890 on: March 05, 2019, 09:01:47 pm »
The Rigol LA probe is a bit spendy, so I designed my own: https://gitlab.com/dren.dk/mso5k-la-pod

Actually others have done the same in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rpl1116-active-logic-probe-pod-for-1000z-series-teardown/new/?topicseen#new

My parts just shipped from Mouser, so I expect to have three working LA probe sets done next week or so.

Now that is good!! The question is what are the chances that if I order a scope right now , this hack will work. I get a student  discount on Tequipment and I was thinking of ordering an MSO5000 70  MHz 2 channels, comes out to 798 , but they do not have any in stock I would definately begetting something fresh from the factory which again poses the questions what are the odds of this working? I personally always believed it was a marketing ploy , because the other Rigol never got patched. I also have Rohde and Shwarz selling me an RTB2004 upgraded to 100Mhz and 4 channels for $1700 . That thing is sexy and im sure has bugs worked out by now. what to do what to do...

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #891 on: March 05, 2019, 10:01:15 pm »

Thought is to pay the extra $100 and get the 4 channels from the factory to have the second 2 channels under warranty.

R&S vs Rigol, your on your own.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #892 on: March 05, 2019, 10:13:11 pm »
We should discuss this not in the hacking thread, better there:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/new-rigol-scope/msg2245224/#msg2245224

I´m already confused enough to follow the guys here what the hacking concerns.. ;)

Offline Commodore8888

• Contributor
« Reply #893 on: March 05, 2019, 10:50:55 pm »
After upgrading the firmware (prior to that I’ve made a backup) to 01.01.04.04, I found that the calibration files didn’t change at all and everything remains perfect. Even though I’ve made a calibration with the new firmware and notice that in the window (before starting the calibaration) was displayed the date of my previous calibration. Lucky for me this calibration went flawlessly and didn’t change any of the 4 channels - everything remains as flat as it was.

These are my “lfcal.hex” before and after - which interestingly enough in my case are the SAME. May be they are something unit specific.

- some screenshots 1) before, 2) after upgrade with previous calibration and 3) after upgrade with new calibration.

Beginning to think we're dealing with a low freq factory cal file done on a Friday afternoon, and this pretty much seals it for me (short of looking at the disassembly) that it's not something auto cal touches.

The thing I'd wonder, is if there's a factory menu or tool that can be used hidden on the scope somewhere, or if it's some special firmware we'll never get. Calibration references are no problem to get a hold of, so it's especially frustrating that it's seemingly a cal file behind all of it.....
Mike D

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #894 on: March 05, 2019, 11:26:29 pm »
Anybody else thinking that a wiki of some sort with some instructions on what to do with this would be a good thing?  The forum is great, but finding the right bits now has got kind of hard.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline eddiea6987

• Contributor
« Reply #895 on: March 06, 2019, 04:51:28 am »
Anybody else thinking that a wiki of some sort with some instructions on what to do with this would be a good thing?  The forum is great, but finding the right bits now has got kind of hard.

I was just wondering how far back I would have to go to find a link to the files mentioned and what are the proper steps.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #896 on: March 06, 2019, 05:00:54 am »
Beginning to think we're dealing with a low freq factory cal file done on a Friday afternoon, and this pretty much seals it for me (short of looking at the disassembly) that it's not something auto cal touches.

The thing I'd wonder, is if there's a factory menu or tool that can be used hidden on the scope somewhere, or if it's some special firmware we'll never get. Calibration references are no problem to get a hold of, so it's especially frustrating that it's seemingly a cal file behind all of it.....

a) It might be done by characterizing the front end using test points on the PCB before assembly/firmware even enters into it.
b) They can't write firmware based on a user-supplied test signal with unknown characteristics
c) They can't add a menu item that could potentially mess up the 'scope (and cause idiots send it back under "warranty")
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:04:55 am by Fungus »

Offline joeyjoejoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #897 on: March 06, 2019, 05:28:17 pm »

Definitely. This thread is about 70% non-hacking discussion. They asked for it to be moved but that never took hold.

The following users thanked this post: eddiea6987

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #898 on: March 06, 2019, 06:06:20 pm »

Definitely. This thread is about 70% non-hacking discussion. They asked for it to be moved but that never took hold.

I don't think the hack is finished yet.

When it is it will just be "a) Download this file onto a USB stick, b) Insert stick into 'scope".

I'm sure a new thread can be started for that so that people can endlessly post "Does this still work?"

The following users thanked this post: NoisyBoy

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #899 on: March 06, 2019, 06:26:04 pm »
Is this great effort somehow applicable to the DS7000 as well??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf