Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes  (Read 901221 times)

Offline qwerty

Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Reply #1300 on: September 25, 2019, 09:05:48 am »
Hi,
I own an MSO5074 as well. My real concern is that it is extremely slow. All the reactions and the boot and everything. It is jut not as responsive, as any other equipment i ever owned.
Is there a fix for that?

Thanks

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1301 on: September 25, 2019, 05:34:01 pm »
Does anyone know why the FW update is still absent from the North America site?

And still absent in europe (rigol.eu), strange….
I´ve ask them about without getting an answer.
I´ll try again.

Probably the 01.01.04.08 firmware from the chinese site is a beta version - Because today I got an answer from rigol support.
They await the next official version in october and recommend to use the official updates on their site…..

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1302 on: September 25, 2019, 05:44:33 pm »
Probably the 01.01.04.08 firmware from the chinese site is a beta version - Because today I got an answer from rigol support.
They await the next official version in october and recommend to use the official updates on their site…..

So you think 1B chinese are beta-testers?? 

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1303 on: September 25, 2019, 05:50:43 pm »
I´ve asked rigol.eu and this was their answer...

Offline SpaleKG

The following users thanked this post: kwinz

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1305 on: September 26, 2019, 10:28:31 am »
So you think 1B chinese are beta-testers??

I´ve asked them again and directly, if this one is a Beta, the answer :

"We´ve decided to publish only the next version on our US/EU sites, because this version got beta-state. "

So 1B chinese are beta-testers and some from this forum here too.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1306 on: September 27, 2019, 07:59:59 pm »
I´m really thinking about to buy the optionbundle, but there´s the bandwith upgrade for free in this hack....

No need to think about any longer….. ;)
Got an offer where I couldn´t resist, delievery time 1-2 weeks.
Now, only bandwith is interesting...

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1307 on: September 29, 2019, 07:41:21 pm »
So Martin you obtain your 8000 before mine then   :palm:
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1308 on: September 29, 2019, 11:26:12 pm »
Do we have any recent Canadian buyer of the 5000, I plan to buy one, and would like to know if the ones available in Canada, are the newest version, with display issue solved, or if still the bad one.

Offline Aztlanpz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1309 on: September 30, 2019, 01:03:39 am »
I am a proud owner of a new Rigol MSo5000.  I do not know if I should hack or wait for the new firmware to be posted to US site.  What do you think? >:D

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1310 on: September 30, 2019, 05:25:49 am »
I am a proud owner of a new Rigol MSo5000.  I do not know if I should hack or wait for the new firmware to be posted to US site.  What do you think? >:D

Take it apart!

Offline mabl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1311 on: September 30, 2019, 09:08:26 am »

I do believe the current "beta" firmware to be a nice improvement over the older 04.04 firmware. If you have it and want it hacked, hack it now.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #1312 on: September 30, 2019, 10:20:17 am »
Hi,
I own an MSO5074 as well. My real concern is that it is extremely slow. All the reactions and the boot and everything. It is jut not as responsive, as any other equipment i ever owned.
Is there a fix for that?

Thanks
Yes, change it for a Keysight

The following users thanked this post: maxspb69

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1313 on: September 30, 2019, 11:17:54 am »
Hi,
Is there a fix for that?

Thanks

Exactly. Because my Keysight 3000T boots in 55 seconds...

DSO's are computers with knobs. They need to boot, and not everything will happen in less than 10 ms so you will have a perception it is instantaneous.
I compared MSO5000 and MSO7000 with R&S 3000 series, and they felt equally sluggish. Or not, depending of who you ask.

No DSO will be as interactive as analog scope. Not even 3000T is always so fast that you cannot say you didn't wait for it  at least for a little bit.
When you are setting vertical offset it stops acquiring data,  so it can redraw static picture to get speed. And it is nonlinear around zero, so in beginning it felt like it skips on encoder. After I got used to it, it is fine.

On R&S 3000 horizontal scrolling with finger was much slower than on Rigol. Some other things were faster.

It is not about Rigol, it is about manufacturers putting stupid menu animations and other stupid stuff that slows down U/I. Because cool new kids generations are used to it from their phones and tablets, and guess what, they don't mind that it could be faster...

So we old school analog knob aficionados have to get used to brave new world.  Fact that you can percept that scope has reaction time shouldn't distract you from the fact that despite that, you will be able to do the job.

And if you want to replace MSO5000 with Keysight that is BETTER that it you have to jump to MSOX3000T series. Take note of money difference and decide if it is worth to you.
Or just get over it and you will get used to it after some time...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 11:20:55 am by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: Sighound36

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1314 on: September 30, 2019, 11:31:13 am »

Yes, change it for a Keysight[/quote]

Or a Tek  :)

The odd thing is the MSO5000 I find very responsive, no noisy fan or screen issues, granted the boot up time is grim at best but you pay your money and take your choice.

Most processional guys will have R&S / Keysight or Tek those at home may use something different.

Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1315 on: September 30, 2019, 12:04:01 pm »
Rigols are sluggish.  If you look at the MSO8000 video on youtube doing serial decoding, it shows the waveform, then 1 second later the decoded information.  It is the same on the MSO5000 that I have.  The knobs are sluggish, it takes some time from when you move them and the scope shows the update.  It has been the same since the 2nd generation (DSO1054Z).  It used to be very responsive when they were manufacturing for Agilent, around 2009.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1316 on: September 30, 2019, 12:35:27 pm »
Rigols are sluggish.  If you look at the MSO8000 video on youtube doing serial decoding, it shows the waveform, then 1 second later the decoded information.  It is the same on the MSO5000 that I have.

400Mb of RAM takes time to process. It's not really fair to compare it with 1MB RAM Keysights.  :popcorn:

You can probably reduce the memory depth a bit if you want faster decodes.

The knobs are sluggish, it takes some time from when you move them and the scope shows the update.  It has been the same since the 2nd generation (DSO1054Z).  It used to be very responsive when they were manufacturing for Agilent, around 2009.

Those older Rigols used to freeze the waveform update while you were moving the trace up/down.

I've seen quite a few other scopes doing that, too.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:39:33 pm by Fungus »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1317 on: September 30, 2019, 02:13:17 pm »
Rigols are sluggish.  If you look at the MSO8000 video on youtube doing serial decoding, it shows the waveform, then 1 second later the decoded information.  It is the same on the MSO5000 that I have.

400Mb of RAM takes time to process. It's not really fair to compare it with 1MB RAM Keysights.  :popcorn:

It has nothing to do with the capture memory.  It only decodes what is being displayed.  I set it to auto, and it is sluggish even with some KB of capture memory.  If you get used to it, it is fine.  Or use the event table.

Still has lots of bugs and Rigol is not correcting them.  For example you can navigate the menu and press the back button and get the scope to show a trigger settings that is not the current one.  For example, you change the trigger from edge to serial, then make some changes in the serial trigger... then press back and you get to the previous menu where it still shows EDGE but it is triggering on serial decoding...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1318 on: September 30, 2019, 02:21:19 pm »

It has nothing to do with the capture memory.  It only decodes what is being displayed.

What if you're displaying 400Mb of memory?

Online NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1319 on: September 30, 2019, 04:45:21 pm »
Interesting discussion, worth a new topic to compare responsiveness of various scopes and a set of standard metrics to measure them, and create a responsiveness spreadsheet over time like what we had done for DMMs.  That may be useful for people who crave highly responsive scopes, that way they can find out the tradeoff (features, memory depth, cost, etc...).

But not sure if it should be discuss in this topic as most people come here to find hacking info, it will only make this thread even harder to read through for new comers.

With regard to speed, I don't have issue with the MSO5000, at least for my limited use cases. 

The following users thanked this post: Aztlanpz, Mick B, Fluffhamster

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1320 on: October 01, 2019, 05:37:04 pm »
Hi,
Is there a fix for that?

Thanks

Exactly. Because my Keysight 3000T boots in 55 seconds...

Though after that, everything is pretty much instant. The R&S boots much faster but is much more sluggish in use
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Sighound36

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1321 on: October 01, 2019, 06:06:04 pm »
Got an offer where I couldn´t resist, delievery time 1-2 weeks.

Today the key has arrived.
You have to enter this and your serialnumber there, click to generate and you got a (very small) lic. file for download.
Putting this to usb-stick, click "option install" on the rigol and this was it (so fast, you couldn´t see the confirmation).
No need to reboot and the forever options are immediately present….
Nice one.

The following users thanked this post: Aztlanpz, 2N3055

Offline Aztlanpz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1322 on: October 01, 2019, 07:04:20 pm »
Let’s do this

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1323 on: October 01, 2019, 07:17:49 pm »
 :D
I´ve described the procedure for another reason..

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1324 on: October 01, 2019, 09:48:14 pm »
Your licence ist now used and cannot bei used by another person.

Would you provide us or maybe mabl or another "pro" with PM your already used licence code, serial number, lic file?
Im sure they can find interesting things with these new informations.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf