Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes  (Read 901663 times)

Protegimus and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bveina

Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Reply #1825 on: July 28, 2020, 06:02:30 pm »
this is all in service of this project by the way. comments and suggestions welcome.

https://github.com/bveina/Rigol-Scope-Snap

(I've been away from the internet for a while; do you still apologize for double posting? sorry.)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline oliv3r

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #1826 on: August 11, 2020, 02:36:27 pm »
First off, sorry for being afk for such a long time :)

Finally Rigol acknowledging the use of Open Source in their latest products!!!!!!!!!!

MSO5000 example

::) well let's assume "acknowledgement" is what they meant.

And, if we could access the source code then that would be a killer factor!  :popcorn:

I found this as well while googling 'Rigol GPL' (which I do occasionally :p)

So first thing that's cool; second thing I noticed, apparently that was already released in 2018.11 :) but I don't think they've shared it ...

Has anybody take them up on their offer? It does say it in quite verbatim:
The open source software is provided for free. RIGOL uses third-party open source
software subject to the specified licenses. You are entitled to use the open source
software subject to their respective license. If you or any third party wants to obtain
the complete corresponding source code for the software from us, please contact:
RIGOL (SUZHOU) TECHNOLOGIES
E-mail: service@rigol.com
This offer is valid for three years after you received the software.

I did ask them for the software, so lets see what happens next :) (but would be nice to know if others already did this  too)

Offline Xtremexp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1827 on: August 15, 2020, 03:25:40 am »
I am also waiting for the source code  :)

Offline bveina

« Reply #1828 on: August 20, 2020, 05:28:00 pm »
Id be surprised if you got appEntry source. i did this for a samsung tv some time ago, all i got was the linux kernel i could have downloaded from the source webpage. none of their derivative works or things that used the Open Source libraries.

Still, id be happy to be wrong :)

Offline 2efa4605b83bf1af48bf6736b

« Reply #1829 on: August 23, 2020, 03:12:53 am »
Just wanted to thank everyone here - the MSO5074 was way outside my budget when I started looking, but I got it based on the work done here. All I needed was the AWG...

FWIW, I bought my scope a couple of weeks ago, it came with FW 00.01.03.00.01 and I was able to update it using this file: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg3024236/#msg3024236

and these instructions:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg3105598/#msg3105598

I also used an old Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 16GB thumb drive, I know some have had issues with this. Apparenly Windows 10 will not format anything above 32GB in FAT32. 

EDIT: no sooner had I posted this than my scope stalled on startup every time (the Rigol screen never cleared). I used the secret menu (single key on startup) and used the "restore settings" function. This appears to have fixed the problem and I didn't see this elsewhere in this thread so thought I'd share here.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:36:51 pm by 2efa4605b83bf1af48bf6736b »

The following users thanked this post: rajeshmag

Offline bmx

• Contributor
« Reply #1830 on: August 25, 2020, 04:06:35 am »
Just wanted to thank everyone here - the MSO5074 was way outside my budget when I started looking, but I got it based on the work done here. All I needed was the AWG...

FWIW, I bought my scope a couple of weeks ago, it came with FW 00.01.03.00.01 and I was able to update it using this file: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg3024236/#msg3024236

and these instructions:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg3105598/#msg3105598

I also used an old Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 16GB thumb drive, I know some have had issues with this. Apparenly Windows 10 will not format anything above 32GB in FAT32. 

EDIT: no sooner had I posted this than my scope stalled on startup every time (the Rigol screen never cleared). I used the secret menu (single key on startup) and used the "restore settings" function. This appears to have fixed the problem and I didn't see this elsewhere in this thread so thought I'd share here.

Meanwhile, would you mind picking up a nicer handle that doesn't uglify the render of that page?

Offline Fotris

« Reply #1831 on: August 28, 2020, 11:08:15 am »
My scope is running and running with our patches from this forum here. No stalls, no problems. I use it at home for my private non-commercial projects and if I had to pay the full price I couldn't have never bought it. So Rigol was able to sell one more device.

Offline DigitalDeath

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1832 on: August 28, 2020, 03:20:53 pm »
Is there a way to have the original calibration values active with the hack? I Tested it out of curiosity but the voltages being measured are off so I'm assuming that the cal info is not in there. I did save all the previous info so I can go back to the original but was curious to know if there's a way for this hack to keep the original calibrations.

Offline ve2mrx

• Contributor
« Reply #1833 on: August 28, 2020, 03:22:48 pm »
Hi!

Did you run the self-calibration after the hack?

Martin

Offline DigitalDeath

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1834 on: August 28, 2020, 03:57:03 pm »
I think I did and I think it took a very long time. I'll do it again and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline DigitalDeath

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1835 on: August 28, 2020, 04:38:08 pm »
Ran the self calibration again and there's variation in the 10mv-28mv range from a calibrated source among all channels.

Offline Slats

« Reply #1836 on: August 29, 2020, 12:24:11 am »
Hi

I'm a pristine noob to the blog and oscilloscopes in general.

I received my MSO5074 a few days ago and tried the hack as per the instructions in this thread (at least I think I have), but it isn't working for me. Hopefully someone can help?

The scope came loaded with FW 00.01.03.00.01, so I went straight to applying the appropriate patch, but the script gives me a checksum error. See attached.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline mabl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1837 on: August 29, 2020, 07:17:57 am »
That is strange. It looks like you are running a 00.01.03.00.01 with a different appEntry? You could try flashing a new 00.01.03.00.01 with the SINGLE button press trick at startup. However, I would rather first like to understand the issue you have. Anybody has any idea? For example, we could create a special upgrade file which copies the rigol part of the code and check for differences to the offical released 00.01.03.00.01 version.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1838 on: August 29, 2020, 08:08:59 am »
However, I would rather first like to understand the issue you have. Anybody has any idea? For example, we could create a special upgrade file which copies the rigol part of the code and check for differences to the offical released 00.01.03.00.01 version.

Slats can execute the NAND dump .GEL. It's somewhere in the thread.

Offline Slats

« Reply #1839 on: August 29, 2020, 10:48:42 pm »
Slats can execute the NAND dump .GEL. It's somewhere in the thread.

Thanks for responding.  :-+

Done. What do you need?

Offline ExtreMme

« Reply #1840 on: September 07, 2020, 04:51:54 pm »
i have fixed this with upload one more time clear firmware 00.01.03.00.01.  And then i unlock all without any errors.

Offline Mazayac

« Reply #1841 on: September 08, 2020, 07:17:37 pm »
i have fixed this with upload one more time clear firmware 00.01.03.00.01.  And then i unlock all without any errors.
Yes, that's right method.
Original MSO5000 Firmware 01.03.00.01

Offline Datboi568

« Reply #1842 on: September 14, 2020, 01:20:07 am »
I just received a brand new 5072 today and come with the fw ver 01.01.04.08.

Those three files from skander36 are perfectly work.

I encountered a problem while using 16GB USB Drive. But it solved after replace with the 32GB USB Drive. It is highly recommend that you have prepared two or more different brand and size USB Drive before perform the upgrade. My failure one is Sandisk 16GB and workable one is Sandisk 32GB (Tiny one).

Case :
When you found that the USB Drive is empty except the GEL file after the backup process:
   - Attach the USB drive back to the scope, press Storage/Disk
   - If you found there are two or more USB Disk, it means that you may need to try another USB Drive.

Enclosed with all the files from skander36 and backup GEL file from TV84.

My workflow are :
(Please read carefully especially handle the same name GEL files).

1. Format the USB Drive (FAT32 Format);
2. Copy the DS5000Update.GEL.backup.doc to the USB Drive;
3. Rename it by delete the "backup.doc" extension;
4. Attach the USB Drive to scope;
5. Press Utility/System/Help/Local upgrade;
6. After finished the screen will have message told you to reboot the scope;
7. Turn off the scope;
8. Attach the USB drive back to your Mac / PC;
9. Copy all the file except the GEL files and folder back to your Mac / PC for your backup;
10. Format the USB Drive (FAT32 Format);
11. Copy another three files to the USB Drive, rename them by remove the ".doc" extension;
12. Attach the USB Drive back to the Scope, turn it on;
14. Wait for the screen shows that USB Drive was attached.
15. Press Utility/System/Help/Local upgrade
16. The screen will turn to white background and follow the instruction to press any keys.
17. After the upgrade process is finished, the scope will reboot.
18. Done! Enjoy!

Please correct me if any mistake or typo. Thanks!

Thank you so much for all of you to contribute here!

Okay but what files do you mean by “all file” on step 11

11. Copy another three files to the USB Drive, rename them by remove the ".doc" extension;

Offline Khazod

Thanks
« Reply #1843 on: September 15, 2020, 09:59:13 pm »
Got my MSO5074 last Friday, I run the patch and it worked at first time without any problems. It’s my first oscilloscope, the MSO5000 series was outside my budget, but after I run across this thread, I took the decision to rise my budget to be able to get the MSO5074.

Want to say thanks to you guys involved in researching and making the patches. As a hobbyist and quite recently got interested in electronics to be able to afford a oscilloscope in this class. I looking forward to explore and learn new things with this.

My MSO5074 come with firmware 00.01.03.00.01, and hardware 01.01.000.
I followed instruction posted by the user srjaynes49 #1811.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline phips

« Reply #1844 on: September 17, 2020, 09:49:34 am »
I applied the patch to my scope, too.
Today I noticed that my channel 1 and 2 are a bit off.
This means when nothing is connected to the probes one shows a lower voltage then the other channel.

Attached a picture of all four channels without a probe connected, averaged and maximum memory depth set to 1k - to see it clearly.
It is visible that the channels are not exactly zeroed.

Does that mean my scope is damaged?
Or is it working and a difference of up to 300µV is totally fine?

Best,
Philipp

EDIT:
I did a self-calibration of the scope before I took the picture.
It was up and running for around 2 hours before, so should be warmed up enough.

EDIT 2:
The difference scales with the voltage per division setting.
With 2V per division it is around 3mV off.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:44:15 am by phips »

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1845 on: September 19, 2020, 01:38:10 pm »
This means when nothing is connected to the probes one shows a lower voltage then the other channel.

Attached a picture of all four channels without a probe connected, averaged and maximum memory depth set to 1k - to see it clearly.

Best,
Philipp

EDIT:

EDIT 2:

Rigol is not a precision equipment, don't expect miracles from it.
If you using averaging, the line became clear, but it now shows the average noise value. A shift relative to zero indicates that the noise of the positive level is on average greater.
And sorry for my English.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1846 on: September 19, 2020, 02:19:15 pm »

Best,
Philipp

EDIT:

EDIT 2:

What you read from the instrument with no probes connected is pretty meaningless. What would you expect to read with nothing connected? (I'd expect to read the Johnson-Nyquist noise of the the 1M terminating impedance. 1M@20ºC, 300MHz => 2.2mV rms, ~13mV ptp).

Remember that this is an 8 bit instrument with a 3% DC gain accuracy specification. So if you've got it set to 2V/div that's a 16V range which gives you an LSB of 16V/2^8 = 16V/256 = 62.5 mV. So that 3mV offset is less than one LSB (the minimum step difference that the instrument can measure) by a factor of twenty - it is well beyond what the instrument is actually capable of resolving even before you take the specified accuracy into consideration. It is nothing more or less than an artefact of the scope trying to calibrate itself by using lots of averaging, in practical measurement terms it means nothing.

Your expectation that 3mV might mean something at 2V/div is a very strong indicator that you don't understand the basics of the instrument or its limitations. I'd suggest a bit more basic study is required or you're in danger of misunderstanding what the scope is really telling you about what you're measuring with it. Don't expect an 8 bit scope (or for that matter, any scope) to deliver much in the way of accuracy or precision.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline diegooo1972

« Reply #1847 on: September 26, 2020, 08:34:01 am »
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I just need to upgrade the scope to v00.01.03.00.01 firmware version and the apply the patch.
Is that right ?

Offline srjaynes49

• Contributor
  • 70 is the new 50!
« Reply #1848 on: September 26, 2020, 06:17:25 pm »
As a former Tektronix sales engineer, I spent HOURS with a yellow highlighter pointing out scope specs to users and prospective users. One of my biggest offenders were the semiconductor manufacturers trying to set timing values on the IC testers to 0.5% with 3.0% instruments.  Wrong tool for the job. I finally wrote a white-paper on how to set the timings with an averaging time-interval counter. I also copied the accuracy tables for the most popular scopes, as they varied significantly series to series. I carried a dozen copies with me all the time to educate prospects and customers alike. Tek’s training for sales engineers in those days was 8 hours a day, hands-on for about 4 months at their training center in Beaveron, Or.. I attended the school the summer of 1972. At the time I was the youngest person to have completed the course. Those were THE days my friend.  I still love test and measurement instruments especially my hacked Rigol MSO5074.  Still have a Tek 475 and several TM500 modules including the same type DC503A I recommended to the semiconductor companies.  I also still have my 2nd digital storage scope, an OWON 7102v with the battery option.  It’s great for field use. I wish my Rigol had a battery option!  With the power analysis function it would be THE machine for solar power systems diagnostics!
Nothing clever to read here...

The following users thanked this post: eklein

Offline srjaynes49

• Contributor
  • 70 is the new 50!
« Reply #1849 on: September 26, 2020, 08:47:39 pm »
Oops wrong photo. This image is the “modified sine wave” from a cheap 12v DC to 120v AC inverter.
Nothing clever to read here...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf