Author Topic: Hacking the Siglent SDM3055 Bench DMM  (Read 47299 times)

Offline stefkpl

Re: Hacking the Siglent SDM3055 Bench DMM
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2020, 05:45:42 pm »
I will try this week. It's seem to be a good work :)
Tkx

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2020, 06:58:14 pm »
What options are there to explicitly save the existing calibration file
(the still unchanged original factory calibration) of an SDM3055 ?
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline alexvgTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • nemelit
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2020, 07:03:42 pm »
Hi,

Since the start of the health crisis in France and around the world, I have put this project on standby.
I currently have to manage 7/7 server clusters (from several websites) so that children can work during confinement.
I will resume the development of this project at the end of confinement or when I have free time again.

Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Alexia from France.

The following users thanked this post: purpose, tv84, Qw3rtzuiop, JohnG, not1xor1, wolfy007

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2020, 05:01:36 am »
Nice Work alexvg!  Hope all goes well and that we see you back on this project.

tautech, maybe you could encourage Siglent to hire alexvg or retain alexvg's services.  Sure looks like a lot of creative and capable product management and product development horsepower that could benefit Siglent, their products, and their customers.

The following users thanked this post: artik

Offline pipe2null

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2020, 07:57:17 pm »
"Me Too":  Yes, great work alexvg!  I hope things calm down in the world soon so we can all get back to kewl projects like this one.

7.5 digits : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-siglent-sdm3055/msg2612406/#msg2612406

I have an SDM3065X-SC and want to try out UI and 7.5 digit FW mods if/when it's possible to do so.  I considered attempting the 7.5 digit hack per the instructions, but since I have a different model, I thought I'd ask first to avoid messing things up.  Is it reasonably "safe" to try out the 7.5 digit mod on a 3065?

Offline rwgast_lowlevellogicdesin

• Frequent Contributor
    • LowLevel-LogicDesign
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2020, 03:04:04 am »
I have an sdm3045x and am pretty satisfied with it for the most part but, the resistance measurement 2 and 4 wire only measure to 3 digits beyond the decimal in its lowest 600 range, how hard would it be to hack a fourth digit? I'd be willing to upgrade my voltage reference to the max one used in the 3055 if need be!

Offline Muessigb

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2020, 11:30:59 pm »
Some news :
I'm working on an interface using a HTML/CSS rendering for a more scalable and flexible possibilities/features.
It takes a very long time because the power of the main CPU is very limited: I need to do a high level of optimizations and remove some CSS features (who need too much process time/power).
Why put a full HTML/CSS rendering engine on an embedded device. That's really inefficient. I don't like when people do it on Desktop, but it's just awful on embedded.
You can always use SDL or QT embedded to do the GUI.

I've done my own fair share of aftermarket firmware and SDL usually works quite well.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2020, 12:37:12 am »
"Me Too":  Yes, great work alexvg!  I hope things calm down in the world soon so we can all get back to kewl projects like this one.

7.5 digits : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-siglent-sdm3055/msg2612406/#msg2612406

I have an SDM3065X-SC and want to try out UI and 7.5 digit FW mods if/when it's possible to do so.  I considered attempting the 7.5 digit hack per the instructions, but since I have a different model, I thought I'd ask first to avoid messing things up.  Is it reasonably "safe" to try out the 7.5 digit mod on a 3065?

It's a different main board, i wouldnt normally say this but you got the top of the line model, i'd leave it be since its the flagship less you are out of warranty or the like

You can cross application files across same mainboard revisions safely, beyond that you are on your own, its the reason you can turn the new SSA 3000X Plus into a 3.2Ghz SVA model, same main board, just a different application file

Offline pipe2null

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2020, 01:31:11 am »
True on the hardware.  Beyond that it depends on how they architected the firmware/software if the UI code is well separated from the underneath bits.  Most of the firmware hacks I've seen posted are reasonably safe and reversible to try but only for a very specific model.  After I posted I finally saw a note from OP of the "thou shalt not" try on other models...   :palm:  Was hoping it might be possible to safely kill normal UI process and try out OP's much better UI.  Odds of that actually working are low, but thought I'd ask.  I'm not up to speed enough to hack around with it myself yet, need to get through a few more learning curves with JTAG and the like.

(*Sarcastic*) And thanks a lot for bringing up the SSA3000X+ "upgrade".  It took months to convince myself to wait until next year before digging into the RF side of things and getting related "field upgradable" SA/VNA toys...  -ER-, I mean essential tools.   >:D
...  SVA?  Sounds like I'm behind on reading.  But I really, really shouldn't catch up.  Bad idea.  Bad, bad idea.  I don't go to TEA meetings.  I don't have a problem.

• Regular Contributor
    • nemelit
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2020, 04:20:47 pm »
Hello,
Just a little message to thank you for your support.
I have been sick with Covid-19 since June. Despite all the precautions taken (mask, distance, hand washing ...), that was not enough.
It's very difficult everyday with a lot of symptoms. The healthcare team is great but clueless.
Please protect each other, take care of yourself.

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2020, 04:57:13 pm »
 :wtf: We all wish you a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself and get well!

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2020, 05:06:32 pm »
Hello,
I have been sick with Covid-19 since June. Despite all the precautions taken (mask, distance, hand washing ...), that was not enough.
It's very difficult everyday with a lot of symptoms. The healthcare team is great but clueless.

I wish you well!

Offline ZhuraYuk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2020, 07:53:46 pm »
Hello,
I wish you a strong health and good luck.
I want to thank you for this awesome work. 3055 is very capable device. Running 6-1/2 digit mod, I checked 4 wire resistance against 10OOhm 0,002% resistance standard. Only last digit was noisy same as my freshly calibrated Keithley 2100.  Also I compensated wire resistance because it was a little 0,0136 Ohm off when 4 wires shorted. After connecting to reference resistor the reading was stable up to last digit. All measurements were dine after 2 hours warm up.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, oz2cpu

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2020, 08:11:00 am »

Anyone has news of Alexia ? I just found this thread and the last message is months old, so I am worried now !

• Regular Contributor
    • nemelit
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2021, 04:08:47 pm »
Hi,

I was hospitalized because of covid, a "long covid".
I went back to work a few weeks ago, it's really difficult.
I hang on, it's difficult. Little by little I know it will get better, but it takes time, lot of time.
I recently received a Keysight 34470A (the new black version).
I hope to be able to resume development quickly and provide at least a "voltmeter" version to test the capabilities.

Take care of yourself and your loved ones.
Alexia Gossa.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Qw3rtzuiop, The Soulman, Mortymore, wolfy007, CDN_Torsten, pipe2null, Martyy2k

• Regular Contributor
    • nemelit
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2021, 11:27:07 am »
Hi,
I'm working on the software. Here is 2 pictures of the functionnal DCV/DCI/ACV/ACI/R2W/R4W version in pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha...

Hope you enjoy.

" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:45:41 am by alexvg »

The following users thanked this post: tv84, Qw3rtzuiop, SHF, JohnG, Jacon, Mortymore, wolfy007, CDN_Torsten, doppelgrau, artik

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2021, 05:07:10 pm »
Ditch the leading zeroes    i hate this kind of display ... confusing  in my case, i hated that in my 34401a meters,    but the different color help to differenciate things  :-+

• Regular Contributor
    • nemelit
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2021, 07:58:17 pm »
Hi, I've uploaded a short video from my UI test, real measurement and fake bargraph.

https://youtu.be/x4KNsvO_Dfs

The following users thanked this post: KeBeNe, purpose, tv84, SHF, Mortymore, CDN_Torsten

• Regular Contributor
    • nemelit
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2021, 11:12:53 pm »
Hi,

I've uploaded a new video.
https://youtu.be/JyPmyu7O6NU
Powerline is set to 60Hz for this test.
Measurement of a 3Hz 20Vpp source signal at 1PLC without PLSync

Hope you enjoy.

Code: [Select]
Features done :
- Function selection : DCV, DCI, ACV, ACI, R2W, R4W, Diode and Cont
- Bargraph with min/max
- Stats
- High speed CONT-test at 250Hz with Beeper
- Power line frequency detection
- PLC selection from 1PLC to 100PLC (50Hz) or 120PLC (60Hz)
- Range selection

The following users thanked this post: purpose, kado, coromonadalix, TheDefpom, CDN_Torsten, artik

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2021, 06:11:14 am »
Damn  It's on steroids  loll  :-+  Siglent should hire you    good work

Since there is a Siglent representative here,  he should ask for a collaboration with you ... and you could propose a new firmware update for theses meters ???
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:15:45 am by coromonadalix »

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2021, 05:04:13 pm »
Hope you enjoy.

This did indeed bring me great joy.  :-+
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 05:05:46 pm by purpose »

• Regular Contributor
    • nemelit
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2021, 05:30:59 pm »
Hi,

I'm working on the ADC signal data analysis to implement a more precise A/D conversion instead of the internal decimation of the AD7190.

I have gigabytes of data to analyze, but my actual server based on a Xeon E5-2640 is too slow to do efficient processing while working on the program.
I've ordered a new (old) processor, a Xeon E5-2698v4.

I hope this processor could provide me an efficient data analysis while allowing me to simultaneously working on the program source code.

I've also ordered a PDVS2mini from Ian Scott Johnston to check the new software.
https://www.ianjohnston.com/index.php/onlineshop/handheld-precision-digital-voltage-source-2-mini-detail

Have a nice day and take care of yourself.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2021, 06:16:37 pm »
Hi,

I'm working on the ADC signal data analysis to implement a more precise A/D conversion instead of the internal decimation of the AD7190.

I have gigabytes of data to analyze, but my actual server based on a Xeon E5-2640 is too slow to do efficient processing while working on the program.
I've ordered a new (old) processor, a Xeon E5-2698v4.

I hope this processor could provide me an efficient data analysis while allowing me to simultaneously working on the program source code.

I've also ordered a PDVS2mini from Ian Scott Johnston to check the new software.
https://www.ianjohnston.com/index.php/onlineshop/handheld-precision-digital-voltage-source-2-mini-detail

Have a nice day and take care of yourself.

I hope the processor you currently have, E5-2640, is actually an E5-2640v3 or E5-2640v4.  If it's not, the processor you ordered will not be compatible with your current motherboard.  The E5-2640 is a Sandy Bridge family processor and uses DDR3 memory.  The E5-2698v4 is a Broadwell family processor and uses DDR4 memory.  The v3 line is the first to use DDR4 memory.  All prior versions used DDR3 (but note that my understanding is that even across DDR3-compatible CPUs, you can't use v2 CPUs in motherboards that were built for v1, but can use v1 CPUs in motherboards built for v2).

I suspect you have compatible processors here and that "E5-2640" is just an incomplete name or a typo or something.   The packages tend to be designed in such a way that fundamentally incompatible processors can't be used in the same socket, so if you really do have a Sandy Bridge processor right now, you just won't be able to put the new CPU in place.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:08:55 pm by kcbrown »

• Regular Contributor
    • nemelit
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2021, 09:03:07 pm »
You're right, I've forgot to write the correct processor name. It's a 2640v3.
Hope having a second processor E5-2698v4 as soon as possible too (dual socket motherboard).

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2021, 11:49:22 pm »
You're right, I've forgot to write the correct processor name. It's a 2640v3.
Hope having a second processor E5-2698v4 as soon as possible too (dual socket motherboard).

Ah, good.

The motherboard will support v4 processors as well as v3 ones?  For v1 and v2, I think generally the v2 boards will support v1 processors but not vice versa.  Assessing compatibility can get annoyingly complicated but if your motherboard supports the v4 processors then this looks like an excellent choice, especially if you can pair them up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf