Author Topic: Hameg HM605. Any good?  (Read 7595 times)

Offline CreepTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hameg HM605. Any good?
« on: August 10, 2014, 05:35:24 pm »
I've been looking though ebay for a while and have failed to find a single analog scope at least decently priced (below 150 EUR incl shipping to Latvia. Nobody want's to ship here for some reason or charge something ridiculous for it).

Now yesterday I noticed this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hameg-60Mhz-HM605-Oscilloscope-with-probe-Fully-working-and-great-condition-/171412137266?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item27e8f5a532
Shipping is 25 UK pounds. My question is, what it's worth might be and whether or not is it worthwhile bidding on this seeing as it currently sits at just below 100 EUR incl. shipping.
Any input on the matter would be much appreciated.

Offline phil

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hameg HM605. Any good?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 08:34:00 pm »
Short answer: Yes.

The HM605 is (along with its big brother HM1005) maybe the best of the old hameg analog scopes. There is tons of documentation for it and nearly all parts are easy to get standard parts. It is a very nice scope to have.
One thing I dont like about it is its limited second time base. On the other hand, you usually do not need a full-fledged second time base on a 60MHz scope, so I dont think that it will be much of an issue for you.

If you can get it for a reasonable price, do it. The HM605 is a solid scope and relatively easy to maintain/repair.
You can get schematics and a manual from www.hameg.com. Careful, they do not include schematics in non-german manuals. You may need to download the german manual to get them.

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 08:55:11 pm »
I agree with Phil:

The HM605 is my HAMEG favorite and one of the best analog oscilloscopes ever manufactured by Hameg.

It is still my workhorse.

The best would be the HM1005 but it lacks a component tester which is very useful for troubleshooting.

What are the advantages of the HM605? :-+
- Enough bandwidth for most analog and power applications
- Very bright cathode ray tube (14 kV post acceleration)
- Excellent syncronisation
- Very easy to use
- There is no true dual time base but he has an ajustable delay quite usable, although not as good as a true dual time base. (jitter problem)
- It has an Y output on the rear panel that allows you to connect a frequency counter.
- it is very robust and easy to repair, most parts are still available on the market.
- Its size is reasonable for a CRO.

Offline belasajgo

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 09:09:37 pm »
I think that the Hameg HM605 has also a display illumination. I worked just a few times with a Hameg HM605 scope (we have one at the university), but I have at home a Hameg HM507 CombiScope (analog-digital oscilloscope) and I am very satisfied by the quality and precision of my oscilloscope. The older analog and analog-digital Hameg scopes are well engineered and are very robust, and they are "Made in Germany".

Offline CreepTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 09:56:26 pm »
Guess that settles it. If the price doesn't skyrocket on the last couple of hours like it usually does with ebay auctions, I'll be ordering this "little" fella.
Thanks for the input.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 10:59:25 pm »
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf