Author Topic: Hantek 2000 series - 2C42/2C72/2D42/2D72  (Read 130482 times)

Offline macabaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hantek 2000 series - 2C42/2C72/2D42/2D72
« on: November 26, 2018, 12:57:53 pm »
When shopping for test equipment, I always search the EEVblog forum for discussion regarding the scope/ARB/AWG/whatever. I was a little surprised to see no discussion started yet on some new Hantek gear that has appeared recently. So I thought I'd sign up and start one!

Product page:
http://hantek.com/en/ProductDetail_13174.html

It tends to be sold as one of 4 models: 2C42/2C72/2D42/2D72
'C' means 2 channel scope and DMM.
'D' means 2 channel scope, DMM and AWG.
'4' means 40MHz.
'7' means 70Mhz.

I've ordered a 2D42 so this is 40MHz bandwidth with the AWG. I didn't see the point (in my personal usage) in 70MHz bandwidth with a sample rate of just 250MSa/S and who knows - there might be a way to unlock the higher bandwidth. The AWG also has 250MSa/s with a 512 sample buffer for custom waveforms, so it should be quite good for a quick bench test of low frequency circuits.

Barring any bugs or hardware issues, I think this'll turn out to be a convenient device for quickly getting out during prototyping and doing some probing. With any luck there will be some kind of bode plot function (perhaps using the USB cable and the software) for validating audio frequency filters.

Hopefully that gets the discussion started. Teardown photos to follow if/when it arrives.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:13:45 pm by macaba »

The following users thanked this post: KWKolb, Markus2801A

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hantek 2C42/2C72/2D42/2D72
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 01:13:11 pm »
I have just found a youtube user who is posting videos showing these Hantek devices being used:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ3fF1qMySgSKqHDcS3rGg

My impressions so far from the videos are that it's a nice step above the DSO Nano 'toy' scope that an absolute beginner might buy for their Arduino tinkering for a small (& worthwhile) increase in cost over the Nano.
As a professional EE, I think I'll find it useful as a supplement to a bench scope as long as I'm aware of it's limitations.

The following users thanked this post: Ed ke6bnl

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hantek 2000 series - 2C42/2C72/2D42/2D72
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:34:07 pm »
Would you mind tell us where did you buy it and how much?

thx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:18:30 am »
Would you mind tell us where did you buy it and how much?

thx

Banggood.com, 2D42 model for $144.99. A few dollars can be saved on AliExpress if you are comfortable buying from a less known supplier.

The following users thanked this post: Microcheap

Offline KlausB

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 09:23:08 pm »
Hantek 2D42: could you share your first findings after a couple of weeks  re. this hand-held Osci.
Would be  highly appreciated.
2D72 (no 2D42 so far) are being offered here in DL for about 165 Euros shipped.
I'm still not sure if it is just a 'toy' or something serious.
Tnx, Klaus

Offline wpwrak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 09:46:37 pm »
Santa Claus brought me a Hantek 2C42 :) I looked mainly at the scope part so far. It has all the basics, but very little beyond that. Some basic operations (I'm not good with videos, sorry):
- selecting channels, coupling (DC/AC/GND), probe attenuation, and the vertical system is straightforward, the controls are responsive.
- I didn't expect that it would never show the actual offset voltage of a channel, though. Also, the channel status field only shows whether the channel is on or off and V/div. There is a wave-ish squiggle, but it doesn't change when I change coupling or bandwidth limit.
- the horizontal system is also easy to use, but the time offset is only shown when the menu is removed, after a 10 s timeout. The "50%" menu item zeroes the time offset. (And no, don't get your hopes too high, there is no "50%" for the trigger level.)
- trigger is extremely basic: rising, falling, both. Can trigger on either channel, and you can set the trigger voltage. Trigger can be auto, normal, or single ("forced").
- the only automatic measurements are amplitude and frequency. Frequency is based on the displayed waveform, the trigger frequency is not shown. Amplitude goes a bit beyond the screen. The color scheme for measured values (yellow and light green on light gray) is unfortunate.
- display mode is Y-T or roll. There are no acquisition options (no average). Vector/dots neither.
- The only intensity that can be changed is that of the backlight. It's strong enough that the display is reasonably readable under the setting Buenos Aires sun, just the yellow on light gray part disappears, as one would expect.
- memory depth can be selected to be either 3k or 6k, only 3k if both channels are active. Things like math mode, FFT, protocol decoding, or such are of course absent.
- auto-setting seems to be a bit weird, but then I hardly every use that anyway. There is no "undo" for auto-setting.
- cursor-based measurements are either voltage or time. Time is only shown as time difference, not as frequency. So keep the calculator at hand.

One thing I tried in DMM mode was the continuity tester: there is no extending of the beep, so you need a solid connection. Also, the beeping sound is very faint.
Note that DMM and scope seem to be completely separate systems, also with separate connectors. So one couldn't, say, show current over time. This seems to be a common design among this class of devices.

The rest of DMM seems to give almost no controls (e.g., manual range selection), but I'll have to check the manual to see if there are features hidden behind long button presses or such.

The 2Cxx have no AWG, but there is still the AWG BNC connector, for the probe compensation signal.

Nice things:
- comes with crocodile-to-BNC. I've never seen that before. Could be handy.
- batteries are 18650, so they are user-replaceable. But you don't what to open that battery compartment without need: there is a lot of mechanical resistance and it's difficult to close again. I had to bend an interfering part of the door before I could get it back in.
- charging is through USB C - no need to add yet another device-specific wall wart.
- overall build quality feels decent.

Speaking of moving parts that don't want to: the stand resists a lot, too. I was afraid I'd break it before it would unfold. The carrying case is semi-rigid, which feels appropriate.

The device is reasonably small (slightly smaller than many competitors), but still I wish it had an opening for a lanyard or camera belt. Well, there's always the Kensington lock ...

Bottom line so far: functionality is really rock-bottom basic, and far from anything a bench scope offers. Nevertheless, with 40 MHz and two channels it's very well positioned among handheld scopes at its price. So if you need a portable scope to get an idea of what's going on, but can drag any problems that need deeper analysis to the lab, then it looks like an acceptable choice.

- Werner

[ Added that power-over-USB is also a nice feature. ]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 11:52:14 pm by wpwrak »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline wpwrak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 10:12:20 pm »
Since we're on eevblog here, I also took it apart. I'll clean up and post the pictures later.

To open it, peel the rubber sleeve from the front towards the back. Then remove the four T-10 (Torx) screws at the corners. The batteries are easier to remove once the case is open, than battling the accursed battery compartment door. Just make sure you remember their orientation.

Major components:
- FPGA: Lattice LCMXO2-1200HC-4TG100C (64 kbit RAM, which explains the 6 kSamples total capture size)
- ADC: Analog AD9288
- DMM: Semic CS7721C all-on-one DMM chip
- MCU: STM32F103VET6 (Cortex M3, 72 MHz, 0.5 MB Flash, 64 kB RAM)
- LCD: P028H026-TP

Case markings hint at a uSD slot, but don't worry, it's not populated.

Interesting: there are holes for headers for UART and SWD. The manual also says that firmware updates can be loaded over DFU. So the device may be reasonably hackable.

However, there are also board markings saying "HT2D42", so it may no be possible to "upgrade" the bandwidth.

- Werner

Offline wpwrak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 04:26:29 am »
As promised, some pictures:
https://github.com/wpwrak/2c42-pix/wiki

Regarding the firmware, I should add that all my testing is with the 2018-10-06 (03) firmware, FPGA 0x0. Alas, it seems that I won't be able to install anything newer, due to Hantek not supporting upgrading the FPGA code from Linux  :(

The following users thanked this post: chickenHeadKnob, Alll

Offline Alll

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 11:00:57 am »
Just curious, how to get 250MSa/S with one AD9288 BST-40 ?
There is some overclock or 2C42 version only have 80 MSa/S ?

The following users thanked this post: wpwrak

Offline wpwrak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 06:44:54 pm »
Just curious, how to get 250MSa/S with one AD9288 BST-40 ?
There is some overclock or 2C42 version only have 80 MSa/S ?

Heh, that's an excellent question !  :)

Let's see ... one channel, 3 kSa, from 1 s/div to 10 us/div, the sample rate (ENCa) is 10 MHz. Considering that the minimum conversion rate of the AD9288 is 1 MSa/s (data sheet page 14: Theory of Operation, Timing), that looks like a reasonable choice.

From 5 us/div to 1 us/div, it jumps to 100 MHz. Beyond that (down to 5 ns/div), it's indeed 125 MHz.

Going to 6 kSa doesn't change the sample rate (at 5 ns/div), nor does activating CH2. Back to single channel, 5 ns/div, I see than ENCb is also active, with a 180 deg phase difference to ENCa, which is what one would expect.

So yes, heavy overclocking indeed.

- Werner

The following users thanked this post: Alll

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 08:13:04 pm »
no worries Werner, Tekway, later Hantek is using these ADCs overclocked since 9 years in their products, i have such Tekway DSO since 8y already, no issues so far -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-tekway-dso-hack-get-200mhz-bw-for-free

For sure it's not good for silicon, so can add small heatsink to it.

I have seen your pictures, next time when you open it, shot some pictures of the input circuit as well.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline wpwrak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 03:18:48 am »
For sure it's not good for silicon, so can add small heatsink to it.

Heh, if it's really just more heat the chips are producing. Alas, we can't quite know how Analog do their binning, and what sort of IQC Hantek are performing. It's a pity the 2C42 jumps straight from 10 MHz to 100 MHz, leaving the upper end of the within-specs range unused.

I have seen your pictures, next time when you open it, shot some pictures of the input circuit as well.

Still had it open from measuring the sample rate. The cans pop very easily, a reverse engineer's dream ;)

I've added the front-ends to the picture collection:
https://github.com/wpwrak/2c42-pix/blob/master/jpg/afe.jpg
https://github.com/wpwrak/2c42-pix/blob/master/jpg/afe-zoom.jpg

They may look quite dark in the previews (I didn't post-process them since I really like how crisp they came out and didn't want to lose any of that), but if you look at them at the full resolution, you should be able to identify every component. There are a few unpopulated  footprints in the AWG circuit, U13 and some 3-SOT part, so that AWG probably isn't fully functional. It does produce the reference square wave for probe compensation, though.

- Werner

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 02:42:18 pm »
I've added the front-ends to the picture collection:
https://github.com/wpwrak/2c42-pix/blob/master/jpg/afe.jpg
https://github.com/wpwrak/2c42-pix/blob/master/jpg/afe-zoom.jpg

interesting, EL5166 as driver, so there is room for improvement. The discrete part is known from other DSOs, so one can improve it as well.
Sure, when sampling with 250MSa/s it does not make much sense to get higher than 100MHz input, but still, better that 40MHz.

There are a few unpopulated  footprints in the AWG circuit, U13 and some 3-SOT part, so that AWG probably isn't fully functional. It does produce the reference square wave for probe compensation, though.

Hantek was in the past lazy, there is chance that AWG will work when you add DAC. But that's easy to check on the DAC pins.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 05:27:51 am »
I've got 2D72 today, and so far I like what I see.

But one thing is not clear - how long does it actually take to charge the battery? It arrived with batteries completely discharged (would not turn on). After multiple hours it has charged to 1 bar.

So if you have one, is it normal charging time?

EDIT: It draws 90 mA in an off, but charging state according to USB power meter. Seems low.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:32:00 am by ataradov »
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 07:34:48 am »
After some playing around with batteries, I've got a dead unit. Some quick troubleshooting lead to dead H&M Semi HM4052. It is a battery charger/switch power supply that is used to supply the rest of the system.

Interestingly, this IC was clearly reworked on my device, there are signs of flux all over the place (which may have been the source of poor charging).

The IC seems to be unobtainable.

So now I can transform this unit to USB-only by bypassing this IC and dropping the input voltage to 3.8 V (normal output of HM4052). Or diode-switch USB and battery voltages and skip battery charging.

Both options kind of suck. If anyone knows the source for HM4052, I'd be glad to hear.
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 08:25:53 am »
Here it is in Chinese only http://hmsemi.com/downfile/HM4052.PDF It looks like it may be replaceable by other ICs, but I see no direct replacement.

It is really my fault. I tried to diagnose it and it died while I was trying to measure battery current, and I think my contact was not very reliable, so the battery "connected" and "disconnected" very rapidly. Of course I could lie, but I don't want to do that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:14:00 am by ataradov »
Alex

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 08:42:24 am »
It is really my fault....Of course I could lie, but I don't want to do that.
no its not your fault! you opened it up and diagnosed it is the effect of the cause that it wont get charged. this is typical china products. its lucky if we can fix it, but why we should be blamed of its unreliability? f*ck it, if its me, i close it up i'll make a report to seller, whether i did or didnt open it up, either way i'll file a complaint anyway. anyway, maybe you can find pin compatible battery charging IC in digikey? if you insist to "not lie" or want to keep it in its "crippled" form, like the one china product i have here.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:45:57 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 08:47:01 am »
anyway, maybe you can find pin compatible battery charging IC in digikey?
That's what I'm trying to do. I don't even care about it being pin-compatible, there is plenty of space for bodging there. There are some very similar ICs, I just need to find something in bigger packages.

It is not the highest quality product, for sure. But I also don't wan to deal with returns and all that stuff.
Alex

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 08:51:37 am »
I also don't wan to deal with returns and all that stuff.
yes this is another major factor why we prefer to fix it to death on our own. sometime its better the hassle than to pay 10X of the big boy brand (but maybe its just me). good luck.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 08:53:42 am »
I mean, it is also not my only scope, it is essentially a toy for me, so it turning into a repair project is not a big deal.
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 08:34:42 pm »
After exploring various options available from well known vendors, I see that HM4052 is actually an excellent chip. There are chips that have similar functionality, but they all are over-complicated and are available in hard to use 24-32 pin packages.

I immediately came up with ideas for improving my own projects if this chip was actually available, since it is so easy to use. Too bad those Chinese companies don't want to expand to western markets.

PS: Also, google translate is excellent at translating Chinese to English.
Alex

Offline Stevie1966

• !
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 10:15:25 am »
Hi,ataradov

I bought a Hantek 2D72 from ALIEXPRESS 1 week ago. The seller told me that the charger process is as follows and maybe help you.

1. Connect the charger, the total current is about 450mA, to prevent burning the computer's USB port, 300mA allows the host to work, the rest 100mA is charged to the lithium battery.
2. After the host works, it is judged whether the connection is a computer through the software. If it is a computer, the total current does not change, and the USB of the computer is prevented from being burned more than 500mA.
3, if it is not the USB of the computer, it is considered to be 2A charger. The charger will have a total current of 1700mA, of which 300mA will allow the main unit to work, and the remaining 1400mA will be charged to the lithium battery.
4. the new version PCB has been added with reverse battery protection.2 batteries are reversed, and 1 battery is reversed, no problem.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 05:27:43 pm »
It won't really helped me at this point. I just did diode or of USB and battery voltages, so there is on charging, but the unit still can be powered by either source. All the secondary power regulators have high input range, so the exact voltage for that first supply does not really matter.

If anyone is here for a review of the device, I would say the build and construction are pretty mediocre. If you are looking for a decent piece of equipment, look further If you just need something lightweight and mobile to quickly check things, this scope may work. Definitely don't pick it as your only scope, the UI will drive your nuts.
Alex

Offline andry.electra

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 12:38:38 am »
Looks like ETA6002E8A will be nice replacement for HM4052.
You can see datasheet here: https://aliot.com.ua/pdf/eta6002.pdf
IC's available here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-ETA6002-ETA6002E8A-50pcs-lot-100-NEW-and-ORIGINAL/32825837308.html

The following users thanked this post: neilw20

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 12:46:07 am »
Oh, wow. That's like the exact clone. Now I wonder who is the original designer here.

Thanks for finding this, I will order some.
Alex

Offline salvagedcircuitry

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 05:00:00 pm »
Just found this video on youtube on the 2D42 posted literally yesterday :scared:. The guy goes through a bunch of the functions on the handheld. The waveforms it generates look pretty noisy though, but I still can't get over how reasonable this thing is. $150ish for a not-much-larger-than-calculator portable oscilloscope instrument. Pretty cool. And it runs on bare 18650s! I would love to see this thing tested out with a voltage reference and side by side with a normal scope and function gen. I have no affiliation with youtube channel.

SalvagedCircuitry
www.salvagedcircuitry.com

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 05:11:59 pm »
There is no need for a voltage reference, this this has accuracy of a toy. The traces visibly jump when you switch from battery power to the USB power.

Multimeter part may be better though, since it uses a dedicated multimeter chipset.

It is a cool all-in-one thing, but don't expect miracles. It runs on ADCs that are 6 times overcloked from their normal rated clock.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:23:02 pm by ataradov »
Alex

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline Nikodrengen

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2019, 06:43:10 pm »
It looks like a fun device for use on the road.
For my use, I need a sinewave with 50 mV RMS amplitude.
Does anyone know the amplitude range supported by the AWG?
Thanks,

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2019, 06:47:07 pm »
Does anyone know the amplitude range supported by the AWG?
I will check when I get home, but I don't remember it being particularly adjustable. I think it changes in 0.1 V increments.
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 04:00:15 am »
So it looks like it can do 0.01 - 2.5 V with 0.01 V increments. Amplitude you can set by up and down arrows has increments of 0.1 V, but you can call up a keyboard and input any number you like.
Alex

Offline Nikodrengen

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2019, 12:16:17 pm »
Thank you very much for the fast and precise answer, Alex.
Sounds like it will do what I need for my work. I will order one.

Offline RomanoCy

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 01:32:21 pm »
Hi folks, Anyone knows if this mini mighty handheld oscilloscope is able to plot XY?

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 09:27:51 pm »
No, it does not, only "Y-T" and "Roll".
The Windows application offers X-Y (when connected via USB to a PC).
I Haven't tested it, thoguh.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:53:39 pm by gf »

The following users thanked this post: RomanoCy

Offline RomanoCy

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2019, 10:05:02 pm »
Thanks a lot, GF. But I need a even bigger favor now, can you please test XY plotting in the the software, when you get the chance, and please let me know? I don’t need it now or tomorrow, but I am looking for a confirmation that the XY works, because I really need that XY plotting on a smaller package than a bench oscilloscope. I have a 10 inches windows tablet, which can run the software.
Thanks a lot, and beers on me when you come for some holidays in CYPRUS 🍻

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 11:45:05 pm »
Well, X-Y basically works with PC, but I'm not so convinced. Particularly at higher frequencies the X-Y plot seems to be rather noisy. Generally, when the device is USB-connected (either to a power supply or to a PC) then it appears to be more noisy than with battery operation - a better PSRR would be appreciated. Furthermore, when USB-connected to the Windows application on a PC, the (already low) frame rate drops to only about 2 frames/s with 1 channel enabled, and about 1 frame/s with 2 channels enabled.

EDIT: I cannot reproduce the above mentioned relation between USB connection and noise, but the AWG seems to suffer generally from glitches at particular amplitude/waveform/frequency combinations (see https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14705&page=1#pid17746).

Hantek 2000 X-Y mode, 1kHZ sine wave fed with different cable lengths to channels #1 and #2:

Same with 1MHz sine wave (now we can see the phase shift caused the different cable lenghts):

For comparison, the same on my Hantek 6054BD (which was btw. even a little bit cheaper):

Regards,
gf
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:51:23 pm by gf »

The following users thanked this post: Technobabble_, RomanoCy

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 12:00:29 am »
I'm also not sure whether the Windows program is touch-screen friendly (I did not use a tablet, but a regular Notebook with mouse).

Offline RomanoCy

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 12:05:41 am »
I am so afraid that you are so right  :) It sounded line a nice idea, but most probably  I should Look for a better instrument. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the effort

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 03:27:46 am »
I just got one of these 2D42. Not sure why yet, but I couldn't resist (I think I need to subscribe to the TEA group)  :scared:

Anyway, @RomanoCy as already posted the software of this scope has the option of X-Y plot but it is useless, if you really need it don't bother. It is simply too slow.

Regarding the handheld itself, it appears to be a nice device. I am liking it. I will do some more tests with it before I give a definitive opinion but so far I couldn't find any big issue. The build quality is ok and looks like the firmware is more stable now but hantek will need to put more work on the PC software to make it useful.

I took some pictures of the pcb but the quality is not good, I will try take some better ones later and post it here.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 01:31:50 am by Microcheap »

The following users thanked this post: RomanoCy

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 03:55:22 am »
The unpopulated module marked M2 in your last photo looks to be for a ESP8266 ESP-12 module. The pinout matches up for power, UART, RST and EN. Some of the GPIOs are connected as well. You'd need to write the ESP8266 code to actually make it do something though and this is assuming they finished the WiFi support in the main processor.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:58:31 am by tsman »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2019, 03:57:20 am »
What is the main processor in this? Can't read the markings on your photo.
The processor is STM32 and it is under the can (which is not present on my unit) on the last picture. EDIT: Actually no, the MCU is on the other side of the board with a shield.  So this looks like a newer revision of the board.

The big chip next to the ADC is a Lattice FPGA.

Also my unit has multimeter chip markings scratched out. No idea why if they already release devices with intact markings.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:02:44 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2019, 04:05:10 am »
The processor is STM32 and it is under the can (which is not present on my unit) on the last picture. EDIT: Actually no, the MCU is on the other side of the board with a shield.

The big chip is a Lattice FPGA.

Also my unit has multimeter chip markings scratched out. No idea why if they already release devices with intact markings.
Sorry. I edited out my question as I noticed that wpwrak had already noted what all the parts were.

Strange that they even bothered to grind off the markings on the multimeter chip in the first place. They're not doing anything special with it and it is just a basic 4000 count chip anyway.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2019, 04:07:45 am »
Strange that they even bothered to grind off the markings on the multimeter chip in the first place. They're not doing anything special with it and it is just a basic 4000 count chip anyway.
It looks like may be my hardware is older revision, so they may have thought they will be able to keep it a secret. And then just gave up on newer units.

I'm personally more bothered by overclocking 80 MSPS ADC to 250 MSPS. That's more than 3 times.
Alex

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2019, 04:29:57 am »
It looks like may be my hardware is older revision, so they may have thought they will be able to keep it a secret. And then just gave up on newer units.
Yeah. There are some changes to the PCB between Microcheap's A09 PCB (2018.11) and wpwrak's A07 PCB (2018). Some parts have moved around and the silkscreen has changed in places.

Comparing the two boards, the AWG feature needs U12 (DAC?) which is near the FPGA and U13 which is near the output. U14 (some kind buck regulator) looks to be needed as well.

self restoring fuse: 200mA/250V, 4A and 10A range no fuse.
Mmm... Best keep this for low voltage stuff then.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:31:57 am by tsman »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2019, 05:00:19 am »
Comparing the two boards, the AWG feature needs U12 (DAC?) which is near the FPGA and U13 which is near the output. U14 (some kind buck regulator) looks to be needed as well.

I've noticed that. wpwrak's is an older revision an he's model has no AWG. U12 must be a DAC, but I couldn't read its marking. I forgot to check the markings on U14 and U15 as well (there is one for each battery) I will try to take some higher resolution pictures later and see if I can identify them.
U13 is a LHM6702MA opamp http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lmh6702.pdf there is a BAV99 missing beside U13 too. Everything else looks to be populated, so it should be possible do add the AWG function to the 2Cxx models.

self restoring fuse: 200mA/250V, 4A and 10A range no fuse.
Notice that too :palm: Hey, but at least they reinforced the tracks with solder
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:09:04 pm by Microcheap »

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2019, 02:26:11 pm »
I'm personally more bothered by overclocking 80 MSPS ADC to 250 MSPS. That's more than 3 times.

actually this ADC have two channels, so you have interleaved 2x125MSPS, which is only 25% (best case, if silicon is same, which probably is the case anyway) when comparing to AD9288-100. On the market, there are DSOs since 10yrs with these ADCs - overclocked to 125MSPS, and they still working. I don't think you will use that small cheap Hantek more than 10 yrs ...

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2019, 02:30:49 pm »
I've noticed that. wpwrak's is a newer revision an he's model has no AWG.
You've got the newer version.

I forgot to check the markings on U14 and U15 as well (there is one for each battery) I will try to take some higher resolution pictures later and see if I can identify them.
Maybe +/- supplies for that opamp? I can't find U15 at all on wpwrak's photos.

Everything else looks to be populated, so it should be possible do add the AWG function to the 2Cxx models.
Maybe. Not sure how it determines your model though. Either something in flash or a pin strap somewhere? The firmware mentions "This model has no AWG" a couple times.

Looking at the firmware update file, it is just a ST DfuSe file. It contains a single image that is loaded at 0x80005000. Only 170KB out of the 512KB available in the STM32F103VET6. Start of the image has the interrupt vector table. Should be able to feed the firmware image into something like IDA once the DfuSe prefix/suffix have been removed.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2019, 03:26:32 pm »
Maybe. Not sure how it determines your model though. Either something in flash or a pin strap somewhere? The firmware mentions "This model has no AWG" a couple times.
No, it must be something specifically for the batteries. On the older boards those chips are not present and the batteries are simply connected in parallel.

The power supply section is on the top right of the battery compartment. There are 3.3v and +/-5V supplies.
Alex

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2019, 03:43:32 pm »
No, it must be something specifically for the batteries. On the older boards those chips are not present and the batteries are simply connected in parallel.
Yeah. That makes more sense. There is unpopulated U15 next to the +5V PSU on the older A07 board. That disappeared on the A09 board though with U14 and U15 appearing next to the two batteries. No inductor so its not the same as the U15 on the A07.

Offline Stevie1966

• !
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 08:39:17 am »
Hantek overclocked the ADC. Will there be a problem when the temperature is high? >:( >:(

Hantek's technical support said that they will offer new software for XY functionality 2 months later.

Offline AxGxP

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2019, 03:55:57 pm »
Is it official info?
I asked few questions on eediscuss.com but the support is silent...

Any body measured more then 400V in DMM mode?

Drop voltage in diode mode 0.999 V max, is it a hardware limit?

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2019, 07:50:24 am »

I do not know how true this is, because the guy only claims to have hacked the device. Without any affirmations.

https://www.nickbel.com/2019/01/28/hantek-2c42-2d42-2c72-2d72-hack.html#cut

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2019, 05:13:03 pm »
I do not know how true this is, because the guy only claims to have hacked the device. Without any affirmations.
He's managed to patch the firmware to reenable the AWG on the C models. He won't release the patch however. He knows roughly what the missing parts are but doesn't know the values or the exact DAC/opamp used.

R915 needs to be removed as otherwise a 400Hz signal is connected to the DAC output as well. Not sure why it is 400Hz. If it was 1KHz then it would have been then the calibration signal.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2019, 04:38:45 am »
No. The datasheet states that the maximum voltage is 600V, but I don't use nothing that generates such high voltages and if I needed to measure something in this level, I would use a more trustworthy meter.

Drop voltage in diode mode 0.999 V max, is it a hardware limit?
Maybe, I couldn't find the multimeter's chipset datasheet, but apparently the CS7721CN is pin compatible with FS9721 that can measure diodes up to 1.5V. Hantek specifies the maximum 1V diode voltage in the manual, though.

I'm also attaching some slightly better pictures of the PCB. The marking on U12 was erased using some chemical that dissolved the IC's case.  I can barely see only the last 3 letters of what looks like a brand, it is ...FAK or ...PAK.
U14 and U15 are marked "3130", TPS73130 maybe? http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps73130-ep.pdf

Offline AxGxP

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2019, 10:38:56 am »
Do you have ST-Link? Can you readout a dump of from your device. It will be interesting to compare it with lower version.

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2019, 07:31:51 pm »

Connected to my insulation tester, I measured 946V DC, so there does not seem to be a 400V limit.

DVM is isolated from the oscilloscope, and the insulation did withstand 1kV as well, >= 2000MOhm - beyond the limit of my insulation tester  :-+.

Still it is specified only for 600V CAT II, so one should not go beyond that.

gf

The following users thanked this post: AxGxP

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2019, 09:52:42 pm »
He knows roughly what the missing parts are but doesn't know the values or the exact DAC/opamp used.

He speculates OPA690, which is a (500MHz unity gain) voltage-feedback opamp.

The AWG of the Hantek 6xx4BD (which has roughly similar specs) uses a 5166ISZ behind the DAC902, which is a 1.4 GHz current-feedback amp. So I'm wondering wheter it is supposed to be a current feedback amp as well in the 2Dx2 models (and maybe also a faster one than OPA960)? Just a guess...

EDIT: I could not resist and opened my 2D72. U13 is a 5166ISZ as well, like in the 6xx4BD models.

EDIT: just realized that a photo of U13 was already posted here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-2c422c722d422d72/msg2183363/#msg2183363 - interestingly, the IC is a different model (LMH6702 vs. 5166ISZ in my 2D72).

gf
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:32:19 pm by gf »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2019, 10:04:46 pm »
Do you have ST-Link? Can you readout a dump of from your device. It will be interesting to compare it with lower version.

I do have a ST-Link, but to be honest I've never used it, I bought it with a stm32 blue pill board to start learning some ARM micro, but didn't have the will to start yet.  :palm:

If you can provide some direction I can certainly try it.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2019, 12:52:44 am »
The AWG of the Hantek 6xx4BD (which has roughly similar specs) uses a 5166ISZ behind the DAC902, which is a 1.4 GHz current-feedback amp. So I'm wondering wheter it is supposed to be a current feedback amp as well in the 2Dx2 models (and maybe also a faster one than OPA960)? Just a guess...

What is your board revision? Hantek uses the DAC902E and the EL5166ISZ in their DSO4000 series bench scopes that also has an AWG. They could be using new ICs in newer revision boards, the marking on the DAC in my 2D42 was erased, but the little I could see doesn't look a DAC902 and I doubt they would have two different boards for the 2D42 and 2D72.

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2019, 08:21:27 am »
My board revision is HT2xxx_M Rev. A08, 2018.

After removing the board and turing it around I noticed the same as you did - the markings on the ADC are not readable.

EDIT: It seems to end with the letters ...AK, or maybe ...ZAK. I'll add a photo.

EDIT: According to the 2nd photo, it could also be ...EAK or ...FAK.

EDIT: The connections of the DAC to other components of the board suggest a pinout like DAC902's, though. I measured ADC clock of 250 MHz clock (as specified). The DAC902 in my Hantek 6074BD (here the marking it is readable) runs only at 200 MHz (which is alrady overclocked by 21%). Searching for an (almost) pin-compatible alternative to DAC902, I found only AD9742, which is specifed for a higher rate of 210 MSPS minimum. Maybe there exist Chinese pin-compatible DAC ICs as well?

Looking at the datasheets of the amps, the EL5166 and LMH6702 are both CFAs. The EL5166 can be enabled/disabled, though, via pin 8 (-> power saving), and pin 8 is indeed driven low/high, when the AWG is turned on/off. Besides that, both ICs have the same pinout, so that LMH6702 can likely replace the EL6166 almost 1:1 if power saving is renounced. Unity gain bandwidth of LMH6702 is a bit higher, on the other hand the EL5166 has a higher slew rate and can drive more output current (not sure if this is relevant for this particular use case). The other components around U13 look identical in your and my photo.

gf
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:50:10 pm by gf »

Offline AxGxP

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2019, 11:33:25 am »
There was a hardware problem with measuring voltage more then 400 V. Burned resistor R15 (1kOhm). Changing to new one solved the problem.

To readout the firmware by ST-Link yo need to download "STM32 ST-LINK Utility".
Connect ST-Link to display board. (GND, SW_CLK, SW_DAT)
Push power button to power on the oscilloscope.
In ST-LINK Utility:
 Address: 0x08000000
 Size: 0x800000
 Menu: Target->Connect
 You will see the content of the memory.
 Right click on "Device Memory" -> Save to file
 Select HEX and save. (the file will be 1.2Mb)
 Press menu: Target->Disconnect
 Disconnect the wiring.

The following users thanked this post: Microcheap, Heszu

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2019, 05:03:10 pm »
DVM is isolated from the oscilloscope, and the insulation did withstand 1kV as well, >= 2000MOhm - beyond the limit of my insulation tester

Nevertheless, the power supply transformer for the DMM still does not convince me fully - the distance between primary and secondary windings is pretty small - less than 1mm. Is the cup possibly supposed to be filled with resin? The 5kV optocouplers are certainly OK, other insulation gaps/distances on the board look OK as well at the first glance (did not look under the battery compartment).

EDIT: Do I worry too much? Is the insulation capability of the enamelled copper wire alone already sufficient to provide the desired safey (as long as it is not damaged)?

gf
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:58:01 am by gf »

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2019, 10:38:58 am »

Hello forum, does anybody here have experience with the AD9288?

Is my understanding correct that the data of channel A are generally sampled by the T&H at the rising edge of ENCODE_A, and the data of channel B are generally  sampled at the rising edge of ENCODE_B, indepent of S1 and S2 pins? The timing diagrams in the datasheet are IMO not perfectly clear in this regard, since the inputs A and B are not shown separately, but only with a common line. The timing of the parallel outputs certainly is affected by S1 and S2, but I could not learn from the datasheet whether S1 and S2 also affect the samping at the ADC inputs.

Background of my question is that I notice a time offset between channels 1 and 2 on my 2D72, when both channels capture the same sigal, which is as large as 50ns at timebase settings of 10us/div and slower, and I suspect that this offset is caused by the way how the AD9288 is operated in the 2D72.

I have not checked all possible combinations of singe vs. two-channels enabled and all time/div settings, but for the combinations I did check I see that ENCODE_A and ENCODE_B are always 180° out of phase, regardless whether both channels or only a single channel is enabled. S1 and S2 are 1,0 in dual-channel mode, and 1,1 when only CH1 is enabled.

This could explain a time offset of 1/2 ADC clock period between CH1 and CH2 (where the ADC is clocked at either 125, 100 or 10 MHz, depending on the timebase setting. For >= 10us/div, the ADC is clocked with 10MHz -> 50ns offset).

gf

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2019, 06:11:01 pm »
I'm facing gltches/spikes in the AWG output of my 2D72 at particular combinations of amplitude/waveform/frequency.

Please find more details here https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=14705&pid=17746.

I'm not absolutely sure yet, but I suspect a timing issue with not always meeting the setup times of the DAC inputs. Maybe it's also related to overclocking the DAC902 (250 vs 165 MHz) which has already been questioned in several previous messages?

gf

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2019, 12:46:07 am »
Sorry for the delay, but finally I had time to open my meter to extract the firmware.

edit: Altered .bin file to hide the SN of my meter. Replaced with CN00000000000000-40

After removing the board and turing it around I noticed the same as you did - the markings on the ADC are not readable.
I found the manufacturer of the DAC chip it is a Chinese brand http://www.3peakic.com.cn/En/product/productes/catid/147.html but I still can't read the part number. There is also no 12bit DAC on the manufacturer web site, maybe it's a new IC I don't know but it is apparently pin compatible with the ISL5861, AD9762 or DAC902.

Please find more details here https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=14705&pid=17746.

Thanks for the information, I did open that thread to report some bugs I'm finding, I wanted to see Hantek's response.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:42:58 pm by Microcheap »

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2019, 02:14:07 am »
Sorry for the delay, but finally I had time to open my meter to extract the firmware
Nice. The bootloader is in there as well and you've got the big block of data at the end of flash as well. Presumably that block has calibration and other things like serial number + model. What is strange is that block has "CN19XXXXXXXXXXXX-40" in it but that doesn't match up with the serial number label on your board. I wonder if the 40 indicates 40MHz since you have a 2D42. No clue if there are checksums etc...

[edit]Altered serial number[/edit]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:42:18 am by tsman »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2019, 03:28:47 am »
Oops, yes that is the serial number on my meter, so it would make sense that the  "-40" indicates its maximum BW.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:03:13 pm by Microcheap »

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2019, 03:44:30 am »
Oops. I've hidden your serial number now. A flash dump from somebody with a 70MHz model with/without the AWG would be handy. I wonder if just changing the 40 to 70 would alter the performance.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2019, 02:55:54 am »
I wonder if just changing the 40 to 70 would alter the performance.
That is a good question, I'll see if I can try it later to test it

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2019, 10:26:59 pm »
I wonder if just changing the 40 to 70 would alter the performance.
Maybe it's that simple indeed! Well, some more tests is needed to confirm that it really changes the BW or it just modify the sys info page.

Would be nice if someone with a 2D70 and a 2Cx0 model could provide their firmware to compare.

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry, tsman

Offline AxGxP

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2019, 06:52:23 pm »
Here is nice overview of 2с42 in Russian. Bugs are shown.

https://youtu.be/lTojWKUGZ5g

Offline elefan

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2019, 08:13:53 am »
I found a new model of hantek 2000series is on sale,the model is Hantek 2d82auto,which is special designed for vehicle diagnosis according to the seller description.And the bandwidth is raised up to 80 MHz.Guys who bought it may give some advice.Also there are several videos about hantek 2d82auto on YouTube.
I found the model here:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32967310745.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32967310745&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=5101amp-SfoeWTWficlstvlXNAdcxQ1551687199957

Offline JimBeam

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2019, 09:23:14 pm »

I did some measurements in single channel mode (with -70...):
- The frontend seems to be good to at least 100MHz.
- The displayed amplitude is a bit on the low side below about 20MHz
- The displayed amplitude is acceptable between ca. 20 and 45MHz
- The displayed amplitude is a bit too high beyond ca. 45MHz.
- Sine waves are displayed quite OK up to about 80 MHz - that's perhaps why HANTEK dares to issue the 2D82auto...
- Above 80MHz the sampling rate is too low, so aliasing effects become prevalent.
- Frequencies displayed correctly to above 100MHz!

And now for the brave - retrofitting the AWG using info gathered from YouTube videos, pictures of the PCBs and this thread. :-/O

But be aware: the parts nearly cost as much as the price difference between the 2Cx2 and 2Dx2 - so better give those few bucks to HANTEK, because
- they have put effort and manpower in designing this neat, little device
- you can't destroy your device with your plumbers soldering iron  >:D
- you keep your warranty

Anyway, here it is (see attached picture):

[disclaimer]Don't blame me, if anything is or goes wrong![/disclaimer]

- fit DAC902 at position U12
- remove R315
- R63, R70 = 50 Ohms (R63 was already fitted in my device)
- C70, C71 = 20 pF (C71 was already fitted in my device)
- fit R65 = 560 Ohm
- I did change R61 from 1,78 kOhm to 2,2 kOhm as the AWG amplitude of my device was too high with the stock resistor

In the frontend section (see picture from reply #56):
- fit EL5166
- fit BAV99
- change 0 Ohms resistor at the output of the OpAmp to 50 Ohms
- change 0 Ohms resistor at pin 3 of OpAmp to 150 Ohms
- change 0 Ohms feedback resistor (at OpAmp left side) to 560 Ohms

No software modification is needed!
But: the quality of the AWG is - uhmm - let's say: suboptimal. Clearly visible spikes and distortion everywhere.
I hope HANTEK will fix this in future versions or is it (only) related to overclocking the DAC902 (250 vs. the specified 165MHz = ~50% over)?

Btw. can someone confirm, that the +3,3V and -5V voltages are way too low (see attached picture)?
I have only 2,9V on the 3,3V rail, which is acceptable, as no analog circuitry seems to use it.
But the -5V rail delivers less than -4V which is not enough for the EL6155 in the AWG, which clipped at the negative half wave at full swing of 2.5V (EL5166 specs say +/-3,8V output at 5V Vdd and 150R Rload).
If your -5V rail also is too low, you can change the marked resistor to 27k which then gives about -4,7V (nominal for -5V would be 29,4k).
I guess HANTEK lowered the voltages to save energy - so I also only raised it bit, just enough to work...

And: don't forget - all modifications void your warranty...  8)

The following users thanked this post: tsman

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2019, 10:00:26 pm »
...which is not enough for the EL6155 in the AWG, which clipped at the negative half wave at full swing of 2.5V...

Exactly. In my 2D72, the negative rail of the EL5166 measures rather about -3.3V, which limits the negative output swing to about -2.3V (consistent with datasheet - about 1V drop from each rail). Hantek support has confirmed that they cannot fix it with a firmware upgrade, since it would reqire a hardware modification. I'm not sure if the voltage which is labeled -5V at the power supply test points is really supposed to be -5V or whether it is intentionally lower?

...the quality of the AWG is - uhmm - let's say: suboptimal. Clearly visible spikes and distortion everywhere...

AWG burrs have also been reported to Hantek support. They think they can fix it with a firmware upgrade.
Otherwise the AWG is just a "classical" DDS, thus all theoretical DDS limitations (e.g. phase truncation) do apply.

Yet another unfortunate issue is noise, which affects in particular CH2 of the scope.
One of the noise sources is obvoiusly the AWG (when it is turned on), but there seem to be others as well.

I also noticed a time offset between CH1 and CH2 when both channels are active, which puts in particular the usefulness of X-Y mode (which is now available in the latest firmware) into question.

See also Hantek support forum:
https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14705
https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14706
[ images and attachments ony visible with login ]

gf
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:41:21 pm by gf »

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2019, 10:17:37 pm »
I did some measurements in single channel mode...

May I kindly ask what kind/model of signal generator you did use for these measurements?

...Above 80MHz the sampling rate is too low, so aliasing effects become prevalent...

For more detailed analysis, the FFT of the captured signal may be interesting (at the slowest timebase which still samples at 250 MSPS - in order to get as many non-interpolated samples as possible) -> harmonics, spurs, SFDR,...

gf
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:25:38 pm by gf »

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2019, 10:33:12 pm »
No software modification is needed!
Interesting. Somebody else had to modify the firmware on their version. I looked at the firmware and does have several error strings mentioning that a specific model doesn't have the AWG feature. Is it somehow detecting it from the presence/absence of the DAC?

Nice work on getting the AWG working and doing the tests.

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2019, 10:56:12 pm »
I did some measurements in single channel mode (with -70...)

Was the "70" patched in the firmware? Or in other words, which model was it natively?

Thanks,
gf

Offline JimBeam

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2019, 06:41:20 am »
My device is a native 2C42 with the -70 patched in flash.

I used a R&S SMIQ03B Generator for the DSO tests set at 0dBm output and a 50 Ohm feedthrough termination on the DSO inputs.
The AWG output was observed on a RIGOL DS1104Z with the same cable setup reversed.

I will repeat the AWG measurements more exactly when time permits, maybe using a DSA702 to record the spectrum,
but I'm not expecting miracles anyway as the 2000 series are devices in the low price segment.
HANTEK even replaced the intended inductors on the board by 0 Ohm resistor to cut prices...
Yet they were so nice to retain a lot of the parts in the AWG that would not have been necessary to keep.  :-+

The presence of the AWG section is simply detected by R65  8) This is the DAC enable signal from the FPGA forwarded to the MCU via R65.
The chosen value of 560 Ohms is just my educated guess, some russian guy in a YouTube video used 50 Ohms.
Maybe someone with a genuine 2Dx2 could confirm the real world value of R65? The pictures in this thread are too blurry to read the marking.

In my 2D72, the negative rail of the EL5166 measures rather about -3.3V
The mentioned -4V for the -5V rail were just from memory, I did not note the exact value.  :-//
When I saw the clipping I looked for a cause, found the -5V not being 5V, checked the feedback divider resistor values in the supply  - and modified them without any hesitation.

Btw.: Being at it, I retrofitted the SD card holder - to no avail. I guess there is no support in the SW.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:24:28 am by JimBeam »

Offline JimBeam

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2019, 06:37:35 pm »
I just did some calculations around the DAC:

With an Rset of 2,2k we get a fullscale output current of around 18mA, which results in a voltage drop of about 0,9V across the 50 Ohm output load (This disregards the input impedance of the OpAmp input dividers, but as I used 51 Ohm resistors anyway, the difference should be neglectible.)
As the gain of the output driver is 3,733 (560/150 Ohm) the fullscale output voltage at the BNC (without load) is 0,9V * 3,733 = +/- 3,36V.

So the DAC range isn't fully used - or is there a mistake in my calculation?

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2019, 08:20:30 pm »
The presence of the AWG section is simply detected by R65  8) This is the DAC enable signal from the FPGA forwarded to the MCU via R65.
The chosen value of 560 Ohms is just my educated guess, some russian guy in a YouTube video used 50 Ohms.
Maybe someone with a genuine 2Dx2 could confirm the real world value of R65? The pictures in this thread are too blurry to read the marking.

I have a genuine 2D72. I have attached a photo of the (non-existing) R65 :-//

gf

Offline JimBeam

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2019, 08:28:00 pm »
Ooops, that's the wrong R65 ...
I mean the one marked in the attached picture. (I hope Microcheap forgives me "borrowing" his picture from reply #38)

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2019, 08:35:43 pm »
I'm adding photos of the two major AWG "regions" on the board (including the marked resistor).

69B = 5.11k

gf
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:38:54 pm by gf »

Offline JimBeam

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2019, 08:43:06 pm »
Ahh, that's perfect!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH, gf  :-+

That means R65 is 5,11k (EIA-96 code 69B).

Edit: I overlooked, that you already wrote the value, so my comment was superflous. I should read post from the beginning to the end - but I was attracted by the pictures before reading...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:46:44 pm by JimBeam »

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2019, 12:11:39 am »
I just did some calculations around the DAC:

With an Rset of 2,2k we get a fullscale output current of around 18mA, which results in a voltage drop of about 0,9V across the 50 Ohm output load (This disregards the input impedance of the OpAmp input dividers, but as I used 51 Ohm resistors anyway, the difference should be neglectible.)
As the gain of the output driver is 3,733 (560/150 Ohm) the fullscale output voltage at the BNC (without load) is 0,9V * 3,733 = +/- 3,36V.

So the DAC range isn't fully used - or is there a mistake in my calculation?

a) The voltage gain is lower than 560/150, since you neglected the 50 Ohm resistor.

b) On the other hand, the voltage gain applies to the voltage difference between the DAC outputs, which is higher than the single-ended AC voltage between one ADC output and GND.

c) Just applying a factor of 2 - in order to account for (b) - would not be valid either, since the AC voltage is not the same at both ADC outputs, because the current sources drive into different impedances. The inverted output of the DAC (leading to IN+ of the amp) is terminated with (50 Ohm || (150+560 Ohm)) == 46.7 Ohm towards GND, but the effective termination impedance of the non-inverted DAC output towards GND is affected by the feedback from the amp output, and is lower.

EDIT:
A more detailed analysis/calculation of this kind of ADC termination circuit can be actually found e.g. here: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sbaa135/sbaa135.pdf. They also don't consider voltage gain, but rather transimpedance of the amp, as the inputs are current-driven. Quote from this paper:
...This relatively simple-looking circuit is, however, not giving a matched gain nor a matched input impedance for the two current source outputs...

Anyway, I share the conclusion that the DAC not fully utilized. But it may make sense to leave a couple of percent headroom for gain/offset adjustments in the digital domain.

(1) DC bias measurement:

On my board, Rset = 25B = 1.78k (not 2.2k). If the IC were a DAC902, this would correspond to IOUTFS = 22mA. However, it is not a genuine DAC902, but a chinese chip with unreadable markings and unknown specs. So we can only guess. At least it seems to be plausible that the specs are similar.

When I select the "Arb4" signal (-> eventually DC with 50% digital count of full-scale), then I measure about 500mV DC each at the inverted and non-inverted DAC output pins, and the EL5166 output is about 0V (all readings against GND). At this bias point, each DAC output is loaded with 50 Ohm || (150+560 Ohm) == 46.7 Ohm towards GND. 500mV / 46.7 Ohm = 10.7mA at each output, and this is indeed pretty close to the predicted IOUTFS / 2. Looks reasonable :-+

(2) AC measuremt:

For simplicity it is IMO sufficient to consider only the AC current at the inverted DAC output whose termination impedance is not affected by the amp feedback (-> the AC current at the other DAC output is supposed to be the same, just inverted). With the AWG set to a square wave with an amplitude of 2.5V, I measure 870mVpp at this ADC ouput. 870mVpp / 46.7 Ohm = 18.6 mApp. And yes, that's only about 85% of  IOUTFS.

[ My 6074BD scope is not so accurate, though, so please grant sufficient tolerance to my measurements. ]

gf
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:38:46 pm by gf »

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2019, 08:46:14 pm »
Follow-up to my previous message:

I calculated the gain accodring to the TI paper (neglecting beta), based on the nomimal resistor values on the board, and I get a total transimpedance of 280 Ohm (or in other words 280 mV/mA), where 280 = 50*560/(50+150)*2. I.e. 20mApp DAC current corresponds to 5.6Vpp at the opamp output (if there weren'n the clipping, of course).

I also tried to determine the DAC's IOUTFS a bit more exactly. The voltage at Rref measures 1.11V, which is obviously lower than DAC902's internal reference voltage of 1.24V. There is no voltage at the REFin pin (DAC902 were supposed to ouput the buffered internal reference voltage here, if I understand the block diagram correctly). I can't measure the 1.78k Rref in-circuit - some of the current seems to bypass the resistor via a different path - so I take the marked value as granted. This leads to a predicted IOUTFS of 1.11/1780*32, i.e. almost exactly 20mA.

The termination of the DAC's Iout- to ground measures 47.1 Ohm (nominally calculated was 46.7).
And With "Arb4" waveform (-> 0V DC signal), I read a voltage of 467mV at Iout-. That's an Iout- of about 9.92mA.
Iout+ splits up into 9.4mA to ground (through 50.1 Ohm) and 0.67 mA through a 150 Ohm resistor to the opamp's IN- pin.
So Iout+ is about 10.1mA, and the sum of the DAC's measured Iout- and Iout+ currents is almost exactly 20mA as well.

The nubers fit reasonably with each other.

If the reference voltage of your genuine DAC902 is actually 1.24V, as specifiled in the datasheet, then you likely need a slightly larger Rref (1980 Ohm), in order to get an IOUTFS of 20mA as well.

I'm also not sure, whether some calibration data (gain/offset correction) are stored in the device's flash. If they do exist, then they are certainly missing or incorrect in an "upgraded" 2Cx2. The notceably different I+ and I- currents measured with "Arb4" signal suggest that a digital offset correcetion may have been applied, since the measured voltage at the opamp output is indeed as low as 2.5mV, when it is supposed to be zero.

EDIT: I'll try to measure the digital count at the ADC data lines as well, which lead to the observed output, but I guess it's not 2048.

gf
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:59:14 am by gf »

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2019, 08:00:16 pm »
@JimBeam:

I have now also measured the digital values sent to the DAC for 0V, 2.5V and -2.5.

Set voltageDigital DAC input valueMeasured voltage at EL5166 output
0V20622.5mV
2.5V2382.49V
-2.5V3886-2.50V

=> I.e. from the range 0...4095, the sub-range 238...3886 (5.8%...94.9%) is utilized on my device in order to generate -2.5...+2.5V output voltage.

The digital values are so weird that I'm now almost sure that they are different on each device, depending on its individual calibration.

Btw, obviously lower digital values represent higher output voltage, because IN+ of the amp is fed from the DACs IOUT-.

And 2062 also happens to be (3886+238)/2 (as expected) :).

EDIT:

Btw, I'm surprised that there was no clipping at -2.5V. But this was measured w/o load. With 50 Ohm at the AWG output, the voltage drops to -2.39V. Also measured my EL5166 supply rails again => -3.41V and 4.92V.

gf
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:40:09 pm by gf »

Offline electedfx

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2019, 07:15:32 am »
Gday, guys! Owing Hantek 2D72 and experienced a dfu update failure, now device is bricked, do not respond on a power button. Found out, that it can be solved with flashing via st-link. If anybody have an full dump for 2d72, pls help. Also looking for a manual how to program it and a way to save calibration values. Thank you in advance.

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2019, 08:08:36 am »
I never had the need to try it, but maybe this helps:
https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=14722&pid=17849
The download seems to include the bootloader and instructions.
Download soon - link expires tomorrow.

gf

Offline electedfx

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2019, 08:13:30 am »
Downloaded it already, will make a try later.

Offline electedfx

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2019, 06:31:18 pm »
Many thanks! Finally recovered the device from brick with your methods, now need to downgrade to previous firmware wgere AWG works.

Offline Crimson

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2019, 10:48:27 pm »
now need to downgrade to previous firmware where AWG works.

Wait, are you saying that AWG doesn't work on the newest firmware? Or it's just not working because you flashed the wrong version or what? I was planning on flashing the newest firmware this evening but if it causes AWG to stop working I guess I'll stick with what I've got.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2019, 12:16:21 am »
Wait, are you saying that AWG doesn't work on the newest firmware? Or it's just not working because you flashed the wrong version or what? I was planning on flashing the newest firmware this evening but if it causes AWG to stop working I guess I'll stick with what I've got.

Yes it does works, there are some other issues that are not software related though that we are discussing here: https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14705&extra=

I am using the latest version (20190030201) that already fixed some bugs and you can get from https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=13676&pid=16428 and follow the instructions to install it. Hantek promised another update for the next few days.

The following users thanked this post: Crimson

Offline sega

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2019, 06:12:25 am »
Hello, a suspicious situation, the manufacturer claims that the 12bit generator, but put dac 3PD5651E 10bit and erases the markings on the chip. How can it be, this is a Scam, what kind of DAC chip was planned and should stand? Maybe it was planned DAC902E (12bit) TI/BB?

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2019, 08:51:04 am »
How comes you are suspecting that there is only a 10 bit DAC used? Any evidence?
At least Bit 11 and 12  (D0 and D1) are connected to the chip. Maybe somebody can just measure if there are signals on Pin 11 and Pin 12 of the DAC? If yes, all 12 bits are used as the mentioned 3PD5651E does not use these two pins.

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2019, 09:52:27 am »
Were you able to read the marking? Are you sure that it is a 3PD5651E? AFAIK, this was just a speculation so far. On my 2D72's chip "...EAK" is vaguely recogizalbe, so 3PEAK is likely the manufacturer, but it could be a non-public custom chip made for Hantek.

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2019, 10:05:13 am »
Did a brief test. Near zero, I can distinguish quantization steps of roughly 1.5mV at the output, so IMO it is 12 bit.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:07:15 am by gf »

Offline sega

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2019, 10:34:51 am »
3PEAK makes a 12bit DAC in a TSSOP-28 case? Why is the markings on the hull erased?. Read about the DAC on the forum.
MCU: STM32F103VET6
ADC: AD9288BSTZ-40
FPGA: LATTICE XO2-1200U
DAC: 3PD5651E
DMM (multimeter): CS7721CN-1
OU amplifier at the output of the generator (put different): EL5166, LMH6702
Near Oh the missing SOT-23: BAV 99

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:45:31 am by sega »

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2019, 12:39:32 pm »
Given a DAC range utilization of about 90% (some headroom for gain/offset calibration), 5Vpp AWG output voltage and 12 bits, one LSB step calculates to  about 1.36mV. For 10 bits, the resolution would be only 5.43mV. How could I measure a resolution of better than 1.5mV at the output if it were only a 10-bit DAC? I have absolutely no doubts that at least the DAC in my genuine 2D72 does resolve 12 bits.

[ I do not trust the fractional millivolts displayed by my DMM, but it still can clearly distinguish ~5.5mV steps from ~1.5mV steps in its 200mV range. On my other scope @ 2mV/div I can clearly distinguish these magnitues as well, despite 500uVpp noise. ]

EDIT:

For better accurracy measured once again with scope, now using 64x averaging acquisition, and let the scope display the avg voltage along the timeline. One of the DAC steps reads 5.00mV, and the subsequent one 6.37 mV. The difference is pretty close now to the calculated 1.36mV.

Btw, there is one observable similarity to the specs of the 3PD5651E:
The voltage at Rset measures 1.11V. The 3PD5651E has a specified internal reference voltage of 1.1V, while DAC902 has 1.24V.

But there is also a difference to both, 3PD5651E and DAC902:
Both were supposed to output the reference voltage at pin 17, but there is no voltage on pin 17.

The required minimum setup and hold times of 2ns+1.5ns given in the 3PD5651E datasheet were IMO too large for 250MSPS operation either -- this would leave ony a window of 500ps where the data are allowed to change - I doubt that the FPGA can fulfill this. Even the typical setup and hold times given in the DAC902 datasheet of 1ns+1.5ns are already pretty tight, but would at least grant a window of 1.5ns for the data to change (but still challenging). Well, maybe this is even the cause for one of the nasty problems with this AWG. I have some evidence that the origin of the spikes/glitches might be on the digital side of the DAC, but not sufficient evidence to prove or disprove it (don't have fast enough equipment to measure the timing on the DAC inputs and clock).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:12:43 pm by gf »

Offline NovoTemp

« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2019, 12:17:01 am »
Hello, friends.
I need to check AC wave form from power outlets (AC 220V) at home.
Can I do it with Hantek 2D72? Is probes is suitable for it? I need to use 1:10X position?
Please advise.
Best regards.
Awaiting your soonest reply.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:23:37 am by NovoTemp »

Offline 1937

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2019, 11:46:03 pm »
Saw empty seat places on the board and I asked the developers to add software support for the micro sd card and wi-fi module on this page:
https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=14668&pid=18035&fromuid=28755
I think it could be useful to save the waveform images directly to tf-card in the device or to receive data from the device via a wireless line.
If someone will support my idea on the eediscuss.com forum, it would help in its implementation.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:55:50 am by 1937 »

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2019, 08:26:42 am »
Hello, friends.
I need to check AC wave form from power outlets (AC 220V) at home.
Can I do it with Hantek 2D72? Is probes is suitable for it? I need to use 1:10X position?

Hantek's PP-xx probes are rated 600V peak when the switch is in x10 position.
http://www.hantek.com/en/ProductDetail_73.html

And the input protection voltage of the 2000 series' scope is specified with 150V in the handbook, which is not supposed to be exceeded either when probing a 230V RMS sine wave with an intact 10:1 probe.

If there were any significant overvoltages (say 1000V spikes) on the power line, then you would exceed these limits, though.

Please don't blame me if Hantek doesn't meet their specs - it's up to you whether you do trust or do not trust the spects.

[ Btw, be careful and keep in mind that 230V mains are potentially lethal. If you don't trust the probe's insulation, then don't touch ground, but keep your body insulated from ground when you touch the hot wire with the probe tip, in order that no current can flow through your body. ]

Offline uncle_sem

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2019, 12:48:28 pm »
so, is it possible to hack 2d42 to make it 2d72?

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2019, 02:35:23 am »

Yes it is, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-2c422c722d422d72/msg2220975/#msg2220975 but you will need to open your device and have a ST-Link v2 to reprogram de FW. The procedure is described in a few posts back.

If you try it just make sure to backup your device before do any change.

Offline crsojr

« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2019, 02:26:28 pm »
Good morning everyone. I'm Brazilian and I need help from geniuses. I have the 2C42 with the latest firmware that now appears for example in a sinusoid to FREQUENCY, MAX AND MIN. What would this MAX and MIN be? Because when it had the option of peak to peak the values gave different. In a 3db sinusoid I get the RMS value and multiply it by 1.4142 and find the peak value where multiplied by 2 I find the peak-to-peak value. Well these values did not hit before and now with this update. I calibrated the tip x10 and x100 and nothing. Please someone help me? Thank you.

FIRMWARE 2019030201
FPGA V04
PCB 000000001
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:35:25 pm by crsojr »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2019, 05:43:49 am »
Hello crsojr welcome to the forum.

I saw your other post on Hantek's forum as well. The values showed by the device are correct. If I understood correctly, you are just mixing the concepts of peak-to-peak and maximum and minimum values.
I can understand the confusion because in the earlier versions of the firmware this scope used to show the peak-to-peak measure, in the latest FW Hantek changed it to show the MAX and MIN, that is the maximum (or minimum) amplitude of the signal from zero (ground).

This may help you: or http://www.newtoncbraga.com.br/index.php/ideias-dicas-e-informacoes-uteis/177-ideias-praticas/12290-tensao-de-pico-eficaz-e-rms-ip1315

The following users thanked this post: crsojr

Offline crsojr

« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2019, 10:45:19 am »
Hello Microchip grateful for your response. I understood what you wrote. I expressed myself wrong. What happens is that before the old firmware when it appeared the option pico-pico the value was not correct.
Ex. In the sinusoid at 60 Hz in 3 db the peak value is the RMS value x 1.4142. When I put the oscilloscope to measure the peak-to-peak value that should be 2 x peak went wrong.
So I updated the firmware of 2C42 where it now shows MIN MAX but it still shows wrong values ..
I left 2 videos in google drive one with the tip x10 and another with the tip x100.
Please see it.
There is a true rms multimeter with sinusoid value where the peak value should be rms * 1.4142. I can not find any parameters for this result on the oscilloscope.
Can you help me ?
Thank you very much.
Link :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W1cfMEbwGr43AkVJR8kWncV-Ece-XWVc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kAwDCebhwv3j2wE-dPbTFaX0BQ7gVX0-

Offline crsojr

« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2019, 10:49:06 am »
Olá Microchip grato pela sua resposta. Eu entendi o que você escreveu. Eu me expressei errado. O que acontece é que antes do firmware antigo quando aparecia a opção pico-pico o valor não estava correto.
Ex. Na sinusóide a 60 Hz em 3 db, o valor máximo é o valor RMS x 1,4142. Quando eu coloco o osciloscópio para medir o valor pico-a-pico, que deveria ser 2x, o pico deu errado.
Então atualizei o firmware do 2C42 onde agora ele mostra o MIN MAX, mas ele ainda mostra valores errados ..
Deixei dois vídeos no google drive um com a dica x10 e outro com a dica x100.
Por favor veja.
Existe um verdadeiro multímetro rms com valor sinusoidal onde o valor de pico deve ser rms * 1.4142. Não consigo encontrar nenhum parâmetro para este resultado no osciloscópio.
Pode me ajudar ?
Muito obrigado.
Link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W1cfMEbwGr43AkVJR8kWncV-Ece-XWVc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kAwDCebhwv3j2wE-dPbTFaX0BQ7gVX0-

Offline crsojr

« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2019, 02:57:19 pm »
Hello, how are you?
Please could you help me, I saw in your post that you also have a Hantek 2C42. I would like to ask a question if in a sine wave your device correctly marks MAX and MIN? For mine when I have a true rms multimeter and with 2C42 the MAX and MIN value that would be of peak peak is different from that marked by the multimeter and calculated according to grammar.
Can you help me?
Thanks

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2019, 04:10:27 am »
This handheld only gives you the peak value of the signal, your multimeter shows RMS values. To simplify, for a sine wave Vrms = Vpeak/sqrt(2).
You were reading 40Vp then, Vrms = 40/1.414 => Vrms = 28V, a little too high but not far from the 22V shown in the multimeter. Now, the reason for this higher value is probably because you are measuring a low frequency signal with AC coupling.
I did a quick test here with my scope and I noticed that for frequencies from around 100Hz to about 40Hz the amplitude of the signal will overshoot a bit with AC coupling enabled (that is a characteristic of the filter in the scopes's front-end). So, try to change the coupling to DC and measure again.

I strongly recommend this article for more details: https://blogs.keysight.com/blogs/tech/bench.entry.html/2018/10/18/when_to_use_ac_coupl-X0K7.html

By the way, you can get the rms and other types of measurement connecting the oscilloscope to a PC and using the software. Just be careful not to damage your equipment when poking mains voltage with the device connected to the USB port of a grounded computer:
https://youtu.be/xaELqAo4kkQ
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:51:21 pm by Microcheap »

Offline beltet

« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2019, 08:59:44 pm »

Yes it is, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-2c422c722d422d72/msg2220975/#msg2220975 but you will need to open your device and have a ST-Link v2 to reprogram de FW. The procedure is described in a few posts back.

If you try it just make sure to backup your device before do any change.

Then I start to wonder if the 2D82auto also have the same hardware and you can just flash the firmware there aswell.
Where do you source the firmware files? And can you provide a link to the forum that you are referring to, as my Google Fu was not enough.
Starting to want one of these especially with the specific car diagnostic feutures.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2019, 05:05:35 pm »
I bet that the 2D82 is exactly the same hardware as the other models, the only difference being in the software.

To change the BW  of your scope, you will need a ST-Link and then connect it to the device as described a few msg back in this same thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-2c422c722d422d72/msg2186756/#msg2186756
Extract the FW, open it with a Hex editor and look for the serial number in it, it will end with "-40" just change it to "-70" save and reprogram the flash memory. Now your handheld has a maximum BW of 70MHz.

I haven't test it yet but I would believe that to unlock the car diagnose features it is a similar process.

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2019, 09:22:13 pm »
To change the BW  of your scope, you will need a ST-Link and then connect it to the device as described a few msg back in this same thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-2c422c722d422d72/msg2186756/#msg2186756
Extract the FW, open it with a Hex editor and look for the serial number in it, it will end with "-40" just change it to "-70" save and reprogram the flash memory. Now your handheld has a maximum BW of 70MHz.

Do you have evidence that the bandwidth of the 2000 series can be really changed w/o hardware modification? Besides the 20MHz BW limit switch, I'm not aware of any component in the analog frontend which would enable a variable bandwidth. Did I miss anything?

gf

Offline IulianCioarca

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2019, 10:52:51 pm »
Does the 2D72 have autozero/REL mode for the multimeter?

Offline laurentiumarian

« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2019, 08:56:49 am »
Hi Everyone, In short I have trouble with my 2C72 after FW updating as many of subscribers here, unfortunately. I followed the right steps for uploading the .bin file via USB/TTL converter successfully but the 2C72 device is still bricked. After reading some posts here, I think- having not so much experience in uC programming- the boot loader is missing or corrupt or whatever. Can you please help me with some hints?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:26:26 am by laurentiumarian »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2019, 06:18:01 pm »
Does the 2D72 have autozero/REL mode for the multimeter?
No, I don't think this device has the REL mode.

Can you please help me with some hints?
In the installation folder of the PC software (C:\Program Files (x86)\Hantek2xx2) there is a file named "rescure_en.txt" check it and see if it helps in your case.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 06:34:15 pm by Microcheap »

Offline dimkadm

« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2019, 11:05:18 pm »
Hello,

Could you please provide the dump of 2D72 to flash the bricked device via St Link ?

Thank you!

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2019, 01:42:36 am »
Have you tried the procedure described in the file "rescure_en.txt" ? Open the Hantek2xx2 pc software, click in Help-> Check Update, then mark the option "Rescue". See if it helps you
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:03:37 am by Microcheap »

Offline dimkadm

« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2019, 11:16:41 am »
Yes, I did try the described procedure ..

3 Press and hold F1, plug in the USB cable and connect to the computer.
4 Release F1 immediately after the lower right corner (RUN/Stop) light flashes

After I connect USB to computer, the "Turn On/Off" button starts to flash, but the "Run/Stop" button remains off :(

Clicking on the Start button in the does not do anything as well.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2019, 09:40:39 pm »
Do you have the usb driver for the ARM chip installed? You need to install the Dfuse drivers first. You can get it either from Hantek's website or directly from ST's:
https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-stm32080.html

Anyway, in this thread: https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14722&extra= Hantek's support provided the files to restore this handheld. The links are expired but, fortunately I've saved the files, just in case I need it some day (this bricking problem seems a bit too common).

I haven't tried it but I uploaded the file here: https://fil.email/gHFYNcnk if you need it (link expires in 1 week). There are some instructions included in the same .zip.

I hope it will solve your problem.

The following users thanked this post: Heszu

Offline cliffyk

• Frequent Contributor
    • PaladinMicro
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2019, 08:28:38 pm »
I realise this is an older thread (though still a bit active, however as I had a stroke on Jan 9,2018 and have been recovering since I often find myself 1 to 1-1/2 years behind on the forums. In any event I just today received my Hantek 2D42 instrument and thought I'd offer some initial thoughts (mostly ergonomics at this point).

FWIW:

I ordered this as a replacement for a Jinhan JDS2022A I had for just shy of four weeks, though a capable instrument with a slightly larger display (3.4" v. 2.8", but still 320x240), I found that in just three weeks of casual use the membrane keyboard overlay had begun to crack. Having had more than one membrane keyboard self-destruct in the past it went back to Amazon;

The user interface does take some getting used to--the Jinhan seemed a bit more "intuitive" (though I genuinely dislike that word);

The silly rubber condom wrapped about the Hantek's body just made it difficult for my fat old arthritic fingers to attach/detach BNC plugs to the recessed (overly) connectors, as I am not the sort to bang about my tools anyway it had to go;

The equally silly and annoying rubber cover for the USB/charging connector came off while removing the condom--no great loss there;

The batteries showed 3 of 4 bars as received, connecting it to a 2.1A 5V source revealed it drawing 90 mA at that stage of charging; 1.2 A when powered up and charging.

I shall post again when I've had some time to properly evaluate the little beast.

<addendum 2019-06-23>

Sent it back yesterday (I really like Amazon).

The recessed BNC connections were a major PITA for me. Also the available waveform measurement values were quite meager and the small low contrast (yellow and lime green on light gray) was damned near invisible to my old eyes.THe built-in DDS generator was kind of cool, however I have plenty of signal generators.

So, I ordered an Owon HDS1021M-N. THis was with some trepidation as I have an older (2004) HDS1022M-N on which--past warranty of course--the power switch got flakey and then failed--then the plastic outer shell disintegrated, crumbling in my hands (crummy "green" plastic typical of the late 90s to mid-2000s) BUt, for functionality they cannot be beat. 20 MHz, 500 Msps with numerous measurement functions, FFT and periodic data recording (great for monitoring battery discharge characteristics

We'll see; it too can go back within 30 days.

</addendum 2019-06-23>

<addendum 2019-07/31>

WEll the Owon went back too--the display is smallish at 3.7", it is 640 x 480 resolution, however screen dumps are curiously save at 320x 240 ??? As I will be using this addition to my tool bin to document automotive waveforms for my doctoral dissertation I want/need the best looking images i can get. So i got a hantek DSO 1062B which seems a nice 'scope so far. great 5.6" 640 x 480 display, 1 GS/s real-time 25 GS/s repetitive. FFT and other math functions, a nice selection of automated measurements, and can save .BMP screen captures, .GIF animations, and waveform data to a directly connected USB jump drive (the Owon has an awkward dongle used to connect a jump drive). The multimeter capability is nice i guess, as it will allow me to capture metered values to image files for publication.

It was $389 from Amazon, twice the cost of the 2D42, and a bit more than the Owon--but an unfortunate fact of life--I.e. "If you do get what you pay for--if you buy the cheapest there is, there is a good chance you will get the cheapest there is"...

</addendum 2019-07/31>
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 04:38:35 pm by cliffyk »
-cliff knight-

paladinmicro.com

Offline madmedicine

« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2019, 11:35:40 pm »
Hi guys,

I just registered to the forums to share what I found today and struggled the past week to figure out what was wrong with mine. If there's a better post this should be on, I'll go ahead and post there.

When I received my unit from banggood (a 2D42), I noticed the ohm readings were bad, always measuring 1kohm or 10kohm with no leads plugged in. DC voltage was off by maybe 0.3 volts but that kinda went away by itself after while. The buzzer also had strange readings. It would beep fine but measure ~300ohms

After opening and closing it up multiple times, I noticed that the relays would do a "double click" when switching back and forth from DC to Ohms with the meter completely open and the boards separated (side-by-side with cable still attached) and was reading fine. Then the issue would come back when putting it back together. I would only hear a single click when switching from DC volts and Ohms.

I think I found a design flaw. If you look at the through-hole pins of one of the relays, they line up with the screw that holds the front board.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2019, 12:32:04 am »
When I received my unit from banggood (a 2D42), I noticed the ohm readings were bad, always measuring 1kohm or 10kohm with no leads plugged in. DC voltage was off by maybe 0.3 volts but that kinda went away by itself after while. The buzzer also had strange readings. It would beep fine but measure ~300ohms

yep, It seems that Hantek had a batch of devices with this issues, they won't admit but I saw a lot reports of the same problem (the diode test doesn't work too). If you you have access to a rework station try to reflow the main IC from the  multimeter section (the Semico one) and the resistors around it. I've fixed my this way.

Offline madmedicine

« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2019, 12:53:19 am »
I wasn't sure what would of been the best fix. At first I thought of removing the screw but I could see the board flex when pressing the buttons so I didn't like this. Either I try raising the relay, or put electrical tape, went for the simpler route. Anyways I know where to look for if the issues pops back.

I had issues also with the diode check, it works fine now after putting tape over the screw. It works on a regular diode but not leds (not sure if its powerful enough to power leds). But the capacitor tester doesn't seem to work (always showing 0nF) so I will try reflowing the IC you mentioned the next time I feel like opening it again.

Offline scatterandfocus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2019, 03:31:33 pm »
For those of you who own one of these, is it a decent tool or junk?  Is it known whether there have been hardware revisions?  One thing that concerns me is that I don't see any U.S. dealers of these scopes, which might indicate too many problems to deal with.

I'm looking for my first dso, and the multi-functionality, battery power for portability and isolation, and low cost are attractive to me.  Use cases for me will be looking at signals in audio circuits, automotive, later on tube amps, and just general tinkering.  How I understand it, 2Mhz bandwidth is adequate for audio and automotive.  But I'm not sure whether the 3k/6k record length would be good enough.  And I have read that channel 1 is noisy, there are some software bugs, as well as the issues that madmedicine mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:35:43 pm by scatterandfocus »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2019, 03:35:22 pm »
I would put it more in a junk category rather than useful tool. It is useful, but the UI is horrific, so if you need to do anything beyond very basic observations, get a real scope.
Alex

Offline scatterandfocus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2019, 03:37:33 pm »
What issues are there with the UI?  Lack of functionality?  Slowness?  Bugs?

Are there any similarly featured scopes out there that would be a better alternative?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2019, 04:06:04 pm »
Buttons are too overloaded with functions, so it is very hard to control the UI and trace parameters (V/div, time/div, offset). The screen is very small for a real every day use tool.

If you absolutely need battery power, then I have no idea. Otherwise Rigol 1054z or similar offerings from Siglent.

Also for this scope 3K memory is plenty, given the nightmarish navigation, you won't be scrolling past what's on the screen a lot anyway.
Alex

Offline cliffyk

• Frequent Contributor
    • PaladinMicro
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2019, 04:42:49 pm »
I would not buy one unless my budget was such that it was what I could afford--while it is better than no 'scope, and one step above the silly "toy" ARM/NANO based things it is just a small step. If you can swing it get one of it's big brothers, like the DSO1000B series instruments...
-cliff knight-

paladinmicro.com

Offline scatterandfocus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2019, 05:07:35 pm »
Thanks ataradov.  I think my needs are pretty lowly at this point, and I don't see that changing any time soon.  I do want battery power for portability and isolation.  I'm surprised that the bench dso's don't off a low power mode for running from battery power.  They look to be small and light weight, but being tied to ac power limits mobility.  I'm also surprised that there aren't any small tablet format scopes in the lower price range.  It could be a very handy device.  As you said, the display on the 2XX2 scopes (and the mini dso's) is too small.  Looks like the lowest cost option for a tablet format is from Micsig at 3-4x the price of a 2D42.  Sure the specs are better, but if you don't need the higher specs, you are paying 3-4x the price for only a bigger display.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2019, 05:39:44 pm »
It is up to you, of course, but for a first DSO I would strongly advice against buying this. Really, I operated dozens of real DSOs of all price ranges, and this thing frustrates me to no end. I know exactly what I want to do, and I constantly get confused and change stuff I don't want to change. I'm not sure it will be able to figure it out if you don't know how to operate a scope.
Alex

Offline scatterandfocus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2019, 06:08:24 pm »
Well I have a lowly analog scope, so maybe for now I will just video that if I need to look back at waveforms and nevermind mobility for now.   Either that or get an Owon VDS1022I connected to an old laptop to compliment my analog scope.  Too bad the Owon isn't compatible with android tablets.

I guess my problem is that I know what I want in a dso, but no one makes it yet.  And I think I'm far from being alone.  Tons of those toy mini dso's have been sold because they are low cost and battery powered, even though they aren't a decent tool.  There is definitely a want for that sort of format at the lower cost bracket.  And multi-functionality (scope, awg, meter) adds alot of value.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2019, 05:48:38 am »
I have being using a 2D42 on my bench for some hobby grade stuff, things like microcontrollers and basic analog circuits and I would not call it junk, instead prefer to say that it is just a basic tool so, people who need it for more advanced stuff might find it some what limiting.
I also have a Rigol DS1054Z as my main oscilloscope but many times I find the Hantek2d42 very practical to just quickly check a signal on a board I am working and I like the fact that I can easily change between scope and DMM function.

I agree that the screen is a bit small and that you might need some time to get used to the controls but i think it is just a trade off of a device that was intended to be portable an cheap. I also don't know an option that will battery powered, packed with functions and cheap at the same time.

I spotted this little scope on Aliexpress another day: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33021370646.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.46064c4dYIVz1v I haven't tried it, but the specs looks interesting although the display is the same size as the Hantek's, it has only one channel and looks more a toy. There was a thread about it here in the forum a few days ago.

Regarding the VDS1022, you can try the app HSscope for Android http://hscope.martinloren.com/ if your tablet is compatible with USB OTG.

Offline scatterandfocus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2019, 04:21:50 pm »
Thanks Microcheap.  It seems that opinions are divided on the Hantek 2XX2.  In your opinion, is scrolling and zooming adequate on the 2D42?

On the Owon VDS1022i, I thought that it wasn't working on Linux, so I'm surprised to see that it is listed as being compatible with an Android app.  That is pretty interesting.  Maybe it is the case that only the Owon software doesn't yet run on Linux.  So if the Owon hardware does run with Linux/Android, that device could be useful even with a smartphone.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2019, 11:36:13 pm »
You can easily analyze a signal by pausing the acquisition and using the arrow keys on the center of the keypad to zoom in or scroll a waveform, but the level of details you will be able to see will be limited by the amount of memory lengh available (6k single channel).

Offline Gorkde

« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2019, 10:29:38 am »
Guys I got a problem and maybe you experts can help me.

I lost my job because and have nearly no money but needed a scope.

I bought a 2D72 at aliexpress and the scope measures are off.
When measuring a battery with 7.6v the scope shows 8.4 or so volts.
Also when measuring the AWG signal the scope is higher than the signal.
This offset seems to change when I change the measuring range. The larger the range the larger the offset.
See here:  https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14904&page=1&extra=#pid18698

Calibration with nothing attached did not change anything (did 3 times).

I bought this with shipping from Spain but the seller wants me now to return it to China, which would be as expensive as the unit.

Questions:
- Can I calibrate with probe attached? And if so shorted? Or will this destroy the unit?
- What might be the reason?
- How might I fix this?

My problem is I got no further measuring equipment besides an cheap multimeter.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 10:32:44 am by Gorkde »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2019, 02:44:07 am »
I bought a 2D72 at aliexpress and the scope measures are off.
When measuring a battery with 7.6v the scope shows 8.4 or so volts.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/why-are-oscilloscopes-so-inaccurate/msg2605881/#msg2605881

A small offset in the channels is normal and should be compensated by the calibration. Can you post a picture of the traces of your scope showing the level of the offset?

Offline Gorkde

« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2019, 06:35:31 am »
But this is 15% also as I said calibration did nothing.

What about connecting a probe at calibration? Maybe this changes it?

The scope line does show the same offset. As well as the cursor measurements

Offline gongye5776601

« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2019, 06:00:07 am »
Hello, I have a HANTEK 2D72 turned off now.Now you can't get into DFU mode anyway. I want to ask if you have any HEX files read by stlink. I want to revive my machine. Thank you!

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2019, 05:38:23 pm »
Hi,

Does the oscilloscope part Hantek is better than Jinhan and the FNRSI 5012-H ?

Thank

Offline Dainis

« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2019, 12:02:12 pm »
Carefully reading the forum, I couldn't find a 100% answer, is the hardware of 2X42 and 2X72 series identical or different?

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2019, 03:12:22 pm »

I don't know about the Jinhan, but I have a 2D42 and I just got one of these 5012h with the only intention to compare it to the Hantek. I didn't have time to play with it yet though but, my first impression is good. If you only need the scope and 1 channel is enough for you, I think the 5012 can be considered.

I will try to do a comparative later and post more details here.

Carefully reading the forum, I couldn't find a 100% answer, is the hardware of 2X42 and 2X72 series identical or different?
As far as I can tell they are identical. The only difference is that the "C" models don't have the components for the function generator soldered on the PCB.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:49:41 pm by Microcheap »

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2019, 01:56:29 pm »
Hi,

Thank

This one is new to me  (HANTEK and JINHAN I was already  aware...)

Does anyone already reviewed or made a good tear down  or bought this one ?

for comparison as the BW is far better for the price...

And.. SIGROK does not count with neither one of these scopes
(besides  classic Hantek 6022 which is well supported in sigrok)

Tnx
Paul
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:06:15 pm by PKTKS »

Offline richieHH

« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2019, 02:39:53 pm »
Just a quick confirmation regarding the stand. Boy, I had to massage that thing for ages before it would pop open: I was terrified I would break it as I am thinking of returning the unit - the typical chinglish Amazon description said it was a 2D72 (or seemed to) and I got a 2D42. That said, the unit is very nice and the price is still ok.

Tell me, how accurate have you found the voltmeter? Its telling my a brand new Duracell 9v is 9.25 v and a 1.5v is 1.73v - this seems WAY out to me.

Offline Gorkde

« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2019, 03:08:46 pm »
My Voltmeter is very precise but my Oszilloskop is way off

Offline richieHH

« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2019, 03:22:39 pm »
I think the build quality is superb. It's solid. The display is eminently readable. The connectors do the job.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2019, 03:56:24 pm »

Offline richieHH

« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2019, 05:19:19 pm »
I've had mine plugged into the mains via the supplied USB plug and cable and its still on one bar after 4 hours. This is ridiculous.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2019, 05:32:11 pm »
I had the same problem. There is a power manager/selector IC that dies and it stops charging. ICs are available, but I never bothered to replace it, so I don't know if it is the only problem.
Alex

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2019, 09:57:40 pm »
Tell me, how accurate have you found the voltmeter? Its telling my a brand new Duracell 9v is 9.25 v and a 1.5v is 1.73v - this seems WAY out to me.
The multimeter is precise, but a few months ago there was a batch of devices with problems in DMM mode.

Do this tests: put the multimeter in DC V mode and short the test leads to see if the display show only 0.000V, do the same with mV. After that, check the resistance (OHM), short the leads and you should see 0 ohm or a very low value. Then, test the diode mode, with nothing connected you should see 0L. Let me known the results.

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2019, 08:27:38 am »
Do this tests: put the multimeter in DC V mode and short the test leads to see if the display show only 0.000V, do the same with mV. After that, check the resistance (OHM), short the leads and you should see 0 ohm or a very low value. Then, test the diode mode, with nothing connected you should see 0L. Let me known the results.
Mine does all this ^^^ and it is consistent with my other multimeter. I am using this tool only as a backup scope (for car, remote quick checks, AC power lines etc.) and so far I am satisfied. It has exceeded my (not too high) expectations. It is definately usable (not like the toy crap you can get for $50).
However, I would not recommend it as your main oscilloscope, as the operation (due to the UI / missing knobs) proved to be too complicated and lengthy. If you want a cheap entry level scope better go with desktop with designated knobs for misc. functions, e.g.: a Keysight 1000x or a cheap Rigol or Siglent. Using this Hantek (or all the other hand held device from other manufacturers) as your one and only oscilloscopes will drive you crazy soon and you will buy a real oscilloscope soon after anyway. As I said: for using it as a 2nd / backup scope it is fine (or if you need an oscilloscope only once a year).

P.S.
Hint: I tried three times to purchase the 2C42 (the cheapest variant) from (different) sellers on Ali with the lowest prices and three times they tried to fu** me by sending me fake tracking # and talking me to trust them and not to complain at Ali but wait. Of course none of these devices ever showed up (I got my money back from Ali). I then ordered at Ebay and had my device delivered within a week (paid 10% more than at the cheapest seller on Ali).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:36:21 am by Pinkus »

Offline jake@cs

« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2019, 11:37:03 pm »
I've dumped the firmware from a new 2D72, and stored in on our GitHub at https://github.com/circuit-specialists/Hantek-2D72. Now there is a permanent place to get the files, and the README will have a list of all the mods I've found so far. Later, I'm going to order in some ST-Link V2 to sell as products in case people need to flash or unbrick their devices.

The following users thanked this post: Pinkus, Horseloaf

Offline scatterandfocus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2019, 07:24:08 pm »
I've dumped the firmware from a new 2D72, and stored in on our GitHub at https://github.com/circuit-specialists/Hantek-2D72. Now there is a permanent place to get the files, and the README will have a list of all the mods I've found so far. Later, I'm going to order in some ST-Link V2 to sell as products in case people need to flash or unbrick their devices.

What issues are those mods addressing?

Offline Anderzzon

« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2019, 08:10:08 pm »
Hi everyone!
I just bought the 2D72, so far I'am impressed. I will give it couple of weeks more testing :)
One thing I couldnt really understand, if I save a waveform on the 2D72 how can I transfer it to my computer?
I use Hantek2xx2 software but I cant find any "recall" function that are saved in the 2D72.

Its works like a charm standalone but I would like to use these saved waveforms in my computer.
One solution is to be connected to PC and save the waveform but I want to save waveforms out in the field and then analyze them in the computer.

Anyone got a solution for this?

Best regards
Andersson
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:14:12 pm by Anderzzon »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2019, 12:20:16 am »
I don't think it is possible to save the data to the device and then transfer it to a computer. You can either save a waveform in the device's internal memory (Menu->Save) and recall it later or, use the PC software to save the waveform to a CSV file.

Offline Anderzzon

« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2019, 06:00:14 pm »
Okey, I got at windows tablet so I can go with that. But if anyone know how to export the internal memory please send me a PM. :)

Offline aRGee

• Contributor
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2019, 05:37:25 pm »
Hi, I bought the 2c42 and tried to add the AWG.  Sysinfo tells me I have a 2d42 now, but when I go to the AWG menu it tells me the function isn't there. I'm wondering if it's another protection.
Software version is 2019041501 and FPGA v04. Does anyone have an idea?

Online tunk

• Frequent Contributor

Offline aRGee

• Contributor
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2019, 06:42:10 pm »
Thanks for the answer, yes i soldered all suggested components (also a dac902) on the pcb, double checked everything. I see activity on the databus of the DAC, I see no clock signal on pin28 of the DAC....

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2019, 11:25:17 pm »
Have you soldered the R65 resistor (5.11k) too?
861788-0

Offline aRGee

• Contributor
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2019, 09:39:30 am »
yes, I soldered them all, here is my heavely fluxed proof:)

Offline aRGee

• Contributor
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2019, 09:13:08 pm »
Hi everybody, it works finally. I ordered a new DAC from the wellknown seller. Now he's 50 cents more expensive:)   I received one with a much better print then the old one. I changed the DAC on the PCB, changed R65 to 560 ohm and burned the firmware from the circuitspecialist (found in this threat). Everything works fine now, the meter behaves like a 2d72. Everybody thanx for the replies. Regards, Robert

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2019, 10:51:53 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. So the problem was a dodgy DAC? Where did you get it?

Offline aRGee

• Contributor
« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2019, 05:28:36 am »
From the cheapest seller on Ali....

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2019, 02:49:56 pm »
From the cheapest seller on Ali....
Of course it was, that explain the problem...

By the way, the DAC used originally by Hantek is a 3peak PD5651E it's a 10bit DAC, so Hantek is doing some trick in software to be able to claim the 12bits resolution.

One more thing, if you do the AWG mod you will need to calibrate the amplitude of the waveform, there is no need to play with the resistors values as someone posted some time ago. Just install the FW linked below using Dfuse. Use a coax cable to connect Gen Out to CH1 of the device, go to the AWG and set Sine wave, on the second page of the configuration you will see an option "calibrate", select it and it is done. You can now update to the last firmware again.

The following users thanked this post: mostorer

Offline aRGee

• Contributor
« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2019, 08:10:15 pm »
Maybe the problem with the first dac was that these ic's are running out of spec? Today I looked at the negative rail of the power supply and solved this problem (like mentioned on page 3 in this threat. This weekend I will follow your instructions. Thanks for your input/help! Regards, Robert.

Offline KONNEX

« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2019, 05:49:09 pm »
can someone summarize the Mod?
Needed Chips / Caps / Resistors with Values to put where.

There is some confusion about some resistors and if needed in certain values and so on.
DAC 10Bit 12Bit and so on...

Offline aRGee

• Contributor
« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2019, 08:12:44 pm »
I  downloaded the instructions from jace@cs on page 6 of this threat. I only changed R65 to a lower value as my first dac was not working/responding. In case you need the passive smd's, I have some spares as I ordered to much.  I can send them to you if you pay the stamp (I live in the Netherlands) The ST-link and ic's I found on ebay/ali.   By the way : the dac903 is a 12 bit dac...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:14:27 pm by aRGee »

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2019, 03:55:42 pm »
So it's possible to increase the BW by eiditing the serial number to -70?
And AWG starts working by just adding the components?

This way 2C42 becomes 2D72?

Offline aRGee

• Contributor
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2019, 05:08:57 pm »
I burned the firmware from the 2d72 (found in this threat)  in my 2c42 (with ST link) , followed the comments from microcheap about the calibration and upgraded to the latest firmware.  The meter tells me it's a 2d72 (after soldering all components). In my case changing 40 into 70 didn't work, that's why I burned the 2D72 firmware....

Offline KONNEX

« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2019, 05:47:24 pm »
One more thing, if you do the AWG mod you will need to calibrate the amplitude of the waveform, there is no need to play with the resistors values as someone posted some time ago. Just install the FW linked below using Dfuse. Use a coax cable to connect Gen Out to CH1 of the device, go to the AWG and set Sine wave, on the second page of the configuration you will see an option "calibrate", select it and it is done. You can now update to the last firmware again.

So you mean:

- change 0 Ohms resistor at the output of the OpAmp to 50 Ohms
- change 0 Ohms resistor at pin 3 of OpAmp to 150 Ohms
- change 0 Ohms feedback resistor (at OpAmp left side) to 560 Ohms

is NOT necessary , right?

I  downloaded the instructions from jace@cs on page 6 of this threat. I only changed R65 to a lower value as my first dac was not working/responding. In case you need the passive smd's, I have some spares as I ordered to much.  I can send them to you if you pay the stamp (I live in the Netherlands) The ST-link and ic's I found on ebay/ali.   By the way : the dac903 is a 12 bit dac...

Thanks for the offer.. I'm in germany so this would be somewhat possible and welcome.
For my understaning: EL5166, BAV99 are also necessary, are they included in your offer?

To be honest I just like to work with PCB stuff. I don't know when I ever will use AWG but this would be some option than... ;)
St-link is already ordered.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:52:14 pm by KONNEX »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2019, 12:57:45 am »
is NOT necessary , right?

Yes, you need to change the resistor for the output opamp and add the missing R65 close to the DAC to enable it. What I meant is that you don't needed to change the value of R61 to adjust the amplitude of the output waveform as described in a previous message: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-2c422c722d422d72/msg2241096/#msg2241096

Just calibrate the AWG usign the FW I posted above.

Offline KONNEX

« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2019, 02:26:41 am »
Just a hint:
I got some of the Clone STM32 V2 Link Programmer from ebay.
It didn't work in the beginning and I was somewhat not certain if I should try the firmware "update" as the version of the device was higher as in the update dialog.
It was something like: V2.J29***? - the firmware update offered V2.J28.S7 so I updated and the it worked flawlessly

Offline AxGxP

« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2019, 01:10:57 am »
Hi everyone!
I spent few days in disassembling this device!

And totally I made few very important changes!

Decreased the time of menu show on the screen.
Changed arrow buttons for proper work in voltage and time mode.
And add the functionality to changing of channel, trigger and time parameters without drawing this menu on the screen!
Use only buttons
F1-CH1,
F2-CH2,
F3-TRIG,
F4-TIME.

Here it is, you can try

The following users thanked this post: lcfvrn, florkk

Offline AxGxP

« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2019, 10:58:14 pm »
Fixed bug of powering down when changing time from 100ms to 50ms.
Fixed bug with no auto change from Roll mode to Y-T mode.

The following users thanked this post: lcfvrn, florkk

Offline lcfvrn

• Contributor
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2019, 11:02:12 pm »
Hi! There is a new device - Hantek 2d82auto. http://hantek.com/en/ProductDetail_13_16175.html
Is there a way to hack 2C(D)x2 to 2d82auto?

btw, if someone is going to modify firmware to add some features like serial bus analyzer - I would be happy to help.

@AxGxP how did you decompile firmware? Radare? Ida Pro? Do you have some project setup with compilable source code from from disassembler? Or did you just modified firmware in binary mode?

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2019, 11:41:03 pm »
Is there a way to hack 2C(D)x2 to 2d82auto?

Yes, and it's very simple I wouldn't call it a hack. Just install the 2d82auto firmware in your device using Dfuse or easier, use the AutoUpdate tool in the Hantek2xx2 PC software to install it (Help-> CheckUpdate). There is a bug in the software and when you try to update your device using the option "Force update ARM" ticked it will install the 2D82auto firmware, doesn't matter which model you are using. (to restore, just install the correct firmware using Dfuse again or use the Autoupdate tool with all options unchecked).

But I wouldn't bother with it, I found the 2d82auto firmware to be even more cumbersome to use, with very little or none advantage. The only thing that the said "Vehicle Diagnoses" function does is to pre-set the vertical and horizontal scales and trigger to capture a signal, nothing else. There is no reference waveforms.  But I don't work with car maintenance, so maybe someone will find it usefull.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 12:32:50 am by Microcheap »

The following users thanked this post: lcfvrn

Offline lcfvrn

• Contributor
« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2019, 06:15:46 am »
Thank you, Microcheap. I can confirm. It is possible to turn 2d42 to 2d82 using DFU firmware update. And I can confirm that all "automotive" features are just presets. Even CAN bus analyzer... just scope with timing/voltage preset.... be careful if you are going to buy 2d82 because of CAN bus analysis. There is no data parser, no id monitoring.
Firmware from AxGxP is better.

Offline uncle_sem

« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2020, 03:28:46 pm »
In ealier versions of the 2D82 firmware there was very nice probe menu with current clamps etc. Now you can only choose these in diagnosis mode.

Offline Rien

« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2020, 02:32:24 pm »
Hi,

I think I have put voltage on the terminals when the meter stand in Ohm After opening I have seen 2 o resistors on the underside of the CS7721CN chip above the banana bushes. which are burned. Is it possible to send me a detailed picture of that part of the print, so I can put on new parts?  It is R14 and R 15 as far as I can see

Tanks a lot
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 05:27:13 pm by Rien »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2020, 12:20:59 am »
If only the resistors are burned you are lucky, it's likely that you have damaged the dmm chip. Anyway, if you want to try to repair it, I opened up mine to check the resistors values: R14 is 10K 1% and R15 is 1K 1%.

I've tried to take a picture as well, it is not great but it may help.

912442-0

Just curiosity, what was the voltage you were measuring?

Offline Rien

« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2020, 08:40:04 am »
Hi Thanks for your fast response.
Yes I think You are right, but I wil give it a Try. All other funktions are working and ok, even the Resistance obove 50K. When I try to mesure 10 K for a very short time the value is displayed.
I was to fast trying the Meter before I have give a good look at the menue. The voltage was 220 V alternating :-\

Have done , but the result is not good  47r r is read 51r 330r = 360r  460r = 5,10K  510r = 5.6K  2k2 = 21 k 3k3 = 3.6k 4k7 = 4.6k 5k = 5k  50k =50k 200k =280k
So i can forget the measuring of Resistance  with this meter. but my own fault.

I was not happy with the result, so I have measured on the resistors and I came to the conclusion that they were connected to each other on the processor side, a small connection of tin I remove that, and guess, everything is working now.   But what a delicate job for an old men
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:36:27 pm by Rien »

Offline Rien

« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2020, 05:52:47 pm »
Hi I have a Hantec 2c42 but now after update it is changed in an 2D82 I like to go back to my original 2C42, but how? When i try to update again the meter is seen as an 2D82 an FPGA V255

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2020, 03:22:07 am »
Try using the options "Force update ARM" or "Force update FPGA" or simply manually install the correct FW using DfuSe:

https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=13676&fromuid=26055

By the way, did you managed to fix the multimeter?

Offline Rien

« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2020, 06:25:34 am »
Thanks I try that. The meter is working as before yes , see my answer above.
I have take a look at it, first try was no succes, but after that I have downloaded both files and then force update with local files. That was the solution.
Everything is now ok also the resistance measurement.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:49:16 am by Rien »

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2020, 07:42:04 am »
Caution, my Kaspersky shows a Trojan-warning when I tried to enter the eediscuss-site.
Though it might be a false alarm, but I would not bet on it.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2020, 04:08:44 pm »
Caution, my Kaspersky shows a Trojan-warning when I tried to enter the eediscuss-site.
Though it might be a false alarm, but I would not bet on it.

Probably a false alarm, I never had a problem there. I also checked it with Virustotal.com and it came clean:
917086-0

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2020, 04:17:00 pm »
Have done , but the result is not good  47r r is read 51r 330r = 360r  460r = 5,10K  510r = 5.6K  2k2 = 21 k 3k3 = 3.6k 4k7 = 4.6k 5k = 5k  50k =50k 200k =280k
So i can forget the measuring of Resistance  with this meter. but my own fault.

There are 2 potentiometers close to the batteries' holder on the PCB, those are used to calibrate the meter. I just tried that once and if I recall, one adjust the AC modes and the other DC (voltage, current and resistance are adjusted at the same time). The pots are very sensitive and I strongly recommend not to play with then if you don't have another good meter to use as reference, the chances are that you will make things worse.

Offline Rien

« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2020, 08:08:29 am »
Thanks for the info, can you tell wich poti is for what? My meter is working now good. I have tested the X-Y scope measurement and that is also workung nice. I think it is fot the hobby al good meter for a nice price.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2020, 11:55:08 pm »
I like it too, it has its limitations but many times I prefer it over my ds1054z to quickly inspect a signal on a board or make a simple measurement.

Regarding the pots, I know one was for AC mode and the other to DC, but I really don't remember which one is which I should have take note when I had the chance.

918076-0

Offline amham

« Reply #188 on: February 07, 2020, 03:32:05 pm »
There are multiple sellers on Amazon, anyone know who is selling the latest versions for the 2D72?

Offline Rien

« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2020, 05:25:08 pm »
Hi,
I like to know is it possible to make an 2C72 from an 2C42 with the ST-Link utility I have seen at github.com/circuit-specialists/Hantek-2D72 the bin file and other things.
Is it still possible after flashing this bin file in the Hantek, to download updates for the instrument. I guess thet the meter must be on when the ST-Link V2 is connected to the meter??
Thanks for your reaction.
Rien The Netherlands

Offline AxGxP

« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2020, 05:45:08 pm »
42 and 72 has hardware differences.

The firmware is the same.
You can change the name of the device fro, 42 to 72 by changing one byte in the flash, but it is only the device name.
There no difference in functions.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2020, 02:27:59 am »
42 and 72 has hardware differences.

Do you know what are the differences between them?
I have the 2D42 that was changed to be recognized as a 2D72. I remember that I calculated the BW with and without the "hack" measuring the rise time of a fast rising edge pulse. The difference was clear what makes me believe that there is at least some sort o BW limitation in the FW depending on the model.

I'll try to repeat the test later and post the results here.

Offline mostorer

• Contributor
« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2020, 02:57:49 pm »
Hi Microcheap, I have a 2c42 from a few weeks and found this forum, so I decided to buy the DAC, opamp and what is needed and hack the scope to add AWG.
After adding and changing the needed components, except the R61, I flashed the dfu to calibrate but ...
... the screen appears upside down and, when pressing "calibrate" it says to me "calibration failed".  |O

Going back to the last firmware version from Hantek, the amplitude of the waveforms is a bit too much: a square waveform at 1V appears on the scope as 6V, while sine or triangular appear truncated. :(

where could I have gone wrong?

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #193 on: April 05, 2020, 06:27:17 pm »
To calibrate the awg you need to connect the Gen Out to the CH1 of the device using a coaxial cable, did you do that?

What is your FW and FPGA version?

Offline mostorer

• Contributor
« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2020, 06:32:52 pm »
Checked with the help of another scope...
Found that the 150ohm resistor at pin 2 of EL5166 was in short circuit, so changed with a new one. After that the things were better, but not exactly as expected.
I checked the outputs from DAC and levels were ok, so I decided to change the feedback resistor on the output opamp. From 560 to 186.
Now it works like a charm.
 :-DD

Offline mostorer

• Contributor
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2020, 10:01:35 am »
Hi Microcheap, the FW version is the one you posted to permit calibartion, as the current FW version does not permit AWG calibration.
FPGA version is the last one, so 04.

About coaxial cable, I was wondering if using the normal probe wasn't enough at least to see calibration process running. Then, of course, to have the right calibration the coax cable is important.

If you could confirm me the FW and FPGA release (including the upside down screen), I could try newly using the suggested resistor values.
I would do that as I have a little concern about waveforms amplitude.
I was supposing that, setting a sine wave with Amp at 2.5V I would have on the scope a wave with 2.5V p-p, while on the manual I have just seen within the example that the p-p value showed on the screen is 5V, so the amplitude should only be related to a semi-wave.  ???

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2020, 07:15:30 pm »
I was supposing that, setting a sine wave with Amp at 2.5V I would have on the scope a wave with 2.5V p-p, while on the manual I have just seen within the example that the p-p value showed on the screen is 5V, so the amplitude should only be related to a semi-wave.  ???

Unless explicity stated, it is IMO never perfectly clear wheter "amplitude" is supposed to mean peak-peak or semi-wave (or even something else). Yet another difference makes the terminatinion impedance. With no load you get 2.5V semi-wave, but when you terminate the output with 50 Ohm, you'll indeed see your expected 2.5Vpp, due to the 50 Ohm output impedance of the AWG. It all depends...

... Found that the 150ohm resistor at pin 2 of EL5166 was in short circuit, so changed with a new one. After that the things were better, but not exactly as expected. I checked the outputs from DAC and levels were ok, so I decided to change the feedback resistor on the output opamp. From 560 to 186 ...

That's odd. If things are off by say 10..20%, then it is still plausible, but factor 3 isn't.

Is everything related to the AWG populated as in a geniune 2D72?

Are the various 0 Ohm resistors replaced with the actual values as well?

Are the 49.9 Ohm (68X) resistors from the DAC outputs to GND present?

What DC voltage do you measure from DAC pin 17 to GND, and from pin 18 to GND?

What is the value of your Rset resistor, from DAC pin 18 to GND?

When you set the AWG to rectangle with amplitude=2.5V and offset=0V, what peak-to-peak voltages do you measure on the two DAC outputs?
Expected are about 500mVpp on one output, and about 850mVpp on the other one.

EDIT:
I have added photos of a genuie 2D72.

Regards,
gf
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 07:17:49 pm by gf »

Offline mostorer

• Contributor
« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2020, 07:33:22 pm »
Thank you so much gf.

Next days I will find the time to newly open my 2c42, check all resistors value (they should be ok, as I followed instructions found on this thread and double checked with published images), measure all pins value and report back on this thread.

At the same time I will try to find a bnc-bnc cable to comlete the job. I was quite sure to have one but not able to find it now and, given the current situation, not sure to be able to find one quickly.

Regards.

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2020, 08:25:21 pm »
Quote from: mostorer
...so I decided to change the feedback resistor on the output opamp. From 560 to 186...

Btw, did you change only one resistor here? Note that U13 is supposed to act as differential amplifier with symmetrical feedback network, in order to eliminate common mode gain/bias. Making it asymmetric defeats this goal.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_amplifier#Symmetrical_feedback_network_eliminates_common-mode_gain_and_common-mode_bias

gf

Offline mostorer

• Contributor
« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2020, 09:22:53 pm »
Yes, you are right but, to be a simmetrical diff amplifier as I also supposed (as also suggested on ADC902E datasheet) I should have to find a resistor from U13.3 to gnd. Not being able to find it. Also all resistors I have are exactly as in your picture, so if there is one (as it should), it was already the right one.

mostorer

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2020, 10:09:20 pm »
Yes, you are right but, to be a simmetrical diff amplifier as I also supposed (as also suggested on ADC902E datasheet) I should have to find a resistor from U13.3 to gnd. Not being able to find it.

The 560 Ohm resistor (marked "561") on the left side of my AWG-AMP.jpg photo, below the two 150 Ohm resistors (marked "18A").

Offline mostorer

• Contributor
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2020, 07:17:42 am »
Sure, how did I not see it? It is already of the correct value.

Thanks

Offline mostorer

• Contributor
« Reply #202 on: April 09, 2020, 06:29:16 am »
Is everything related to the AWG populated as in a geniune 2D72?

Are the various 0 Ohm resistors replaced with the actual values as well?

Are the 49.9 Ohm (68X) resistors from the DAC outputs to GND present?

What DC voltage do you measure from DAC pin 17 to GND, and from pin 18 to GND?

What is the value of your Rset resistor, from DAC pin 18 to GND?

When you set the AWG to rectangle with amplitude=2.5V and offset=0V, what peak-to-peak voltages do you measure on the two DAC outputs?
Expected are about 500mVpp on one output, and about 850mVpp on the other one.

Hi gf, check done!

So, first of all I can say that all 0 ohm resistors were replaced as requested and now are exactly the same as in your pictures.
That implies that also 68X resistors from DAC outputs to GND are there.

Moving to measures, pin 17 to GND is 1.247V wile 18 to GND 1.243V. From DAC902E datasheet pin 17 (REF in) should be 1.24 so, considering voltmeter tolerance, sounds good.
Rset was already in place, and is a 1.78K (25B), the same as in your 2d72.

Now, set AWG square wave, amp 2.5V with offset 0, on DAC outputs I have 700mVpp and 1100mVpp. They seems a little too much based on what you wrote.

In any case, let's wait the coax cable to make final testing, after replacing feedback resistor on U13, that is now 560 ohm as it should.

Regards, mostorer

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: April 09, 2020, 09:56:31 pm »
The numbers look pretty reasonable. The Chinese DAC in in the genuine 2D72 has a lower vref than the DAC902 - only  about 1.1V instead of 1.24V. Consequently, in order to source the same output current, a larger Rset value is required for the DAC902. Likely the calibration can still fix the difference, but keep in mind that a full-scale output current of 22.3mA (= 1.24V / 1.78kOhm * 32) already exceeds the DAC902's upper limit of 20mA. So it is certainly not wrong to increase Rset to 2kOhm, which will reduce the DAC output currents (and voltages) by about 10% then. Given your measured DAC output voltages, even Rset=2.2k may happen to yield just enough output current, but that's very close to the limit then, leaving almost no headroom for tolerances (the calibration can only down-scale the digital counts sent to the DAC, but it cannot up-scale them to a value beyond 2^12-1).

Instead of a coax cable, the probe in 1x setting might work as well if you manage to avoid a loose contact for the duration of the calibration. Btw, don't forget to auto-calibrate the scope first before you calibrate the AWG. IMO it were better if they had used the DMM for the AWG calibration, instead of the scope, since the DMM is more accurate. But well, they didn't - maybe because it would require a BNC to banana cable :-//

gf
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:00:09 pm by gf »

Offline mostorer

• Contributor
« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2020, 03:45:55 pm »
BNC cable arrived, so I'm going to calibrate the AWG.

First of all I have uploaded into the scope the formware HantekHTX2019031201.dfu published previously in this forum.
As already written in my previous post, screen upside-down with white background.
Run the general calibration from the main menu, then connected the BNC-BNC cable and run the AWG calibration.

Calibration success !!!

Going to scope screen, the sinusoid is perfectly tuned 600mV -600mV, perfectly centered (offset 0).
At this point I update the firmware with the last dfu available, but when I swith the scope on, I have a big surprise ... the AWG is not calibrated.

It seems that the firmware update reset calibration, or the old calibration firmware does not save the calibration data at all.

Any trick to maintain calibration with up-to-date firmware ?

mostorer

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: April 11, 2020, 08:05:03 am »
Actually I've no clue :-//

Did the calibration survive a power-cycle when the HantekHTX2019031201 firmware was installed?

IMO they are saved. I had upgraded (my genuine 2D72) to a later firmware than HantekHTX2019031201, w/o noticeable loss of calibration data, but I have indeed not upgraded to the most recent firmware yet.

Just a guess: Maybe the AWG calibration data are reset by the firmware (deliberately) if the device model is not a 2Dx2, in order to motivate people to buy a 2Dx2?

If the firmware or the firmware upgrade would reset the calibration data unconditionally, then the device could never retain the factory calibration.

[ IIRC, the calibration feature was only present in the 2019031201 firmware because a bug in a previous firmware release garbled the calibration data. So Hantek had the need to provide a solution in order that users of the buggy firmware can re-create the lost calibration data. Later, the feature disappeared again. ]

Offline mostorer

• Contributor
« Reply #206 on: April 11, 2020, 11:29:56 am »
Did the calibration survive a power-cycle when the HantekHTX2019031201 firmware was installed?

To be honest, did not try. I will revert back to the AWG calibration firmware and try.

Quote from: gf
Just a guess: Maybe the AWG calibration data are reset by the firmware (deliberately) if the device model is not a 2Dx2, in order to motivate people to buy a 2Dx2?

Could be but ... it seems that the firmware recognize the difference between 2c and 2d based on the presence of components, as in Sysinfo my scope appears now as 2d42

Quote from: gf
If the firmware or the firmware upgrade would reset the calibration data unconditionally, then the device could never retain the factory calibration.

Fully agree.

But ... am I the only one who changed from 2cx2 to 2dx2 ? I suppose no. So, what about AWG calibration for someone else who did the same thing ?   ???

Offline mostorer

• Contributor
« Reply #207 on: April 11, 2020, 12:39:12 pm »
Tried newly the AWG calibration. Done!
Switch off and then on the scope ... calibration data did not survive  :(

So, what is the use of a calibration function if data are not saved ?  ???
The firmware is the same for all models, so it's strange that it behaves differently.

The only thing that comes to mind is that there are some operations to do after calibration, to make the data permanent.

[ IIRC, the calibration feature was only present in the 2019031201 firmware because a bug in a previous firmware release garbled the calibration data. So Hantek had the need to provide a solution in order that users of the buggy firmware can re-create the lost calibration data. Later, the feature disappeared again. ]

I understand but, I thought the firmware was a test release or something like that as it is completely unusable ... look at the attached image.
Is it something happening just to me ?  :-//

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:08:35 pm by mostorer »

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #208 on: April 11, 2020, 05:22:41 pm »
Interesting, Hantek must have changed something in the later FW or FPGA, I've used the FW "HantekHTX2019031201.dfu" many times before to calibrate the AWG amplitude and it worked perfectly. I decide to test it now and indeed, the screen is inverted.

Regarding it not holding the calibration data, try to restore the device to factory default to see if it makes any difference.

I tried to revert to an earlier FPGA version to see if it work but still the same thing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:52:21 pm by Microcheap »

Offline mostorer

• Contributor
« Reply #209 on: April 11, 2020, 08:25:11 pm »
Regarding it not holding the calibration data, try to restore the device to factory default to see if it makes any difference.

Restored to factory default, run scope calibration and then the AWG calibration. All ok.
Switch off and on ... AWG not calibrated. Really a strange behaviour.

I think I will have to work on Rset to reduce the output current, so to have the correct signal amplitude out of the DAC, without calibration.

In the next days I will review the DAC902E datasheet in order to check, based on current Rset, res on Iout and OpAmp gain, if the output is aligned to what it should be, then I will calculate a new value for Rset and will post my considerations.

In this moment an amplitude of 1V produces 1,25V on the output channel.

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2020, 09:23:24 am »
In the next days I will review the DAC902E datasheet in order to check, based on current Rset, res on Iout and OpAmp gain, if the output is aligned to what it should be, then I will calculate a new value for Rset and will post my considerations.
In this moment an amplitude of 1V produces 1,25V on the output channel.

Nominally, it's trivial: 1.25V / 1.0V * 1780 Ohm => 2225 Ohm
+/- tolerance of the measured 1.25V, +/- tolerance of the 1.78k Rset, +/- tolerance of the new Rset

For better accuracy I suggest to measure the AWG output voltage with a DMM, since the (Hantek2000) scope is only specified with 3% accuracy, IIRC. Set AWG amplitude to 0 and the offset to say +1.5V, then to -1.5V, measure the two resulting AWG output voltages (-> DC) with a DMM and use (Vout@+1.5V - Vout@-1.5V) / (2 * 1.5V) as scaling factor for Rset.

If you have a DMM which is more accurate than the tolerance of the resistor, you can furthermore measure the resistor instead of assuming its nominal value.

The drawback of calibrating gain with Rset in the analog domain is still the missing offset calibration...

EDIT:
The DAC902's contribution to the offset is supposed to be only +/-1.25mV at the AWG output(+/- 0.025% FSR), so I'd suppose anything beyond that to originate in the amp (due to insufficient CMRR of the differential amp circuit, and offset voltage/current of the opamp).

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:30:08 am by gf »

Offline smat

« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2020, 08:54:50 pm »
Hello all. New 2c42 owner here. I am checking my hacking options here, or if anyone noticed what I did.
I tried to test the bandwidth of my scopes and my probes with a fast pulse, and a signal generator today, and it seems mine has far more than the claimed 40MHz bandwidth, probably 70Mhz or so.
Unfortunately I find it hard to tell, as there is some overshot and ringing going on, that really seems like an interpolation problem.
Unfortunately I can't get the pure ADC data out of the scope, as the display is interpolated and there are no options to change that, and even the PC software can only extract the interpolated waveform.
I wish I could get bare sample points on screen, perhaps with a linear interpolation to see more of the measurement, and less of the guesswork, but that may be just me.
I mean perhaps I could try lowering the time/div until every extracted sample corresponds to an ADC sample, but TBH I don't trust them I can get anything out of it that is not already "manipulated". I digress.
So. Did anyone do proper bandwidth tests of the 2x42, the 2x72 and a hacked 2x42? I really can't find my 40MHz limit in device, only this, what I think is a crappy interpolation artefact.
Above the 70-100MHz range it is the sample rate that limits the system anyway.

See attached picture. Good quality 10MHz signal fed in from a 50 ohm source through an 50 ohm BNC terminated coax. Looks "perfect" on a proper high bandwidth scope.

Offline cliffyk

• Frequent Contributor
    • PaladinMicro
« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2020, 10:22:37 pm »
Hello all. New 2c42 owner here. I am checking my hacking options here, or if anyone noticed what I did.
I tried to test the bandwidth of my scopes and my probes with a fast pulse, and a signal generator today, and it seems mine has far more than the claimed 40MHz bandwidth, probably 70Mhz or so.
Unfortunately I find it hard to tell, as there is some overshot and ringing going on, that really seems like an interpolation problem.
Unfortunately I can't get the pure ADC data out of the scope, as the display is interpolated and there are no options to change that, and even the PC software can only extract the interpolated waveform.
I wish I could get bare sample points on screen, perhaps with a linear interpolation to see more of the measurement, and less of the guesswork, but that may be just me.
I mean perhaps I could try lowering the time/div until every extracted sample corresponds to an ADC sample, but TBH I don't trust them I can get anything out of it that is not already "manipulated". I digress.
So. Did anyone do proper bandwidth tests of the 2x42, the 2x72 and a hacked 2x42? I really can't find my 40MHz limit in device, only this, what I think is a crappy interpolation artefact.

See attached picture. Good quality 10MHz signal fed in from a 50 ohm source through an 50 ohm BNC terminated coax. Looks "perfect" on a proper high bandwidth scope.

Per Hantek's specs (see below) the  "2000" series 'scopes (2D72, 2D42, 2C72 and 2C42) all have the same ≤ 5 ns rise time¹ specs at the BNC connector, and share the same 250MSa/s(Single-channel), 125MSa/s(Dual-channel) sample rate.

This leaves me to believe they share fundamentally the same "innards" and that the "model number bandwidth" indicated by the 3rd character of the model nomenclature is more related to establishing marketplace price points than to each model's actual instrument performance.

This is not unusual in mass manufacturing--General Motors did it for years. 20 or so years ago the lame stream media put it forth as some great  "scandal" that Cadillacs used Chevy drive trains.

----------------------------------------------
¹ - Convention has it that bandwidth * rise time = 0.35; so bandwidth = 0.35/rise time--0.35 / 5e-9 = 70 MHz
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:27:24 pm by cliffyk »
-cliff knight-

paladinmicro.com

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: June 11, 2020, 07:19:35 am »

Even after being degraded to some amount by the frontent, the pulse is still is "too fast" for the given sampling rate and contains too much high-frequency components >= fs/2. Therefore it violates the sampling theorem. Consequently a sinc interpolation can no longer reconstruct the original signal waveform exactly. An exact reconstruction is only possible if the original signal were band-limited to < fs/2 in the first place, before being sampled. The ringing in your picture is to be expected under this circumstances. I guess the "proper high bandwidth scope" has not just a higher bandwidth, but in particular a higher sampling rate as well? (and some scopes may also have a built-in anti-aliasing filter)

It is hard (if not impossible) to measure the step response of the frontent if the sampling rate is so low. Better sweep the frequency of a sine-wave signal and find the -3dB point (with a sine wave, you can go up to almost 125MHz without violating the sampling theorem (when the sampling rate is 250MSPS), and even beyond 125MHz you could still measure the amplitude of the down-converted sine wave).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 07:51:31 am by gf »

Offline smat

« Reply #214 on: June 11, 2020, 08:49:01 am »
Even after being degraded to some amount by the frontent, the pulse is still is "too fast" for the given sampling rate and contains too much high-frequency components >= fs/2. Therefore it violates the sampling theorem. Consequently a sinc interpolation can no longer reconstruct the original signal waveform exactly. An exact reconstruction is only possible if the original signal were band-limited to < fs/2 in the first place, before being sampled.

Thanks. I am not an expert on interpolation, but makes sense. Either limit the bandwidth - and I was wondering if the scope is more useful in BW limit mode at 20MHz, or change interpolation algorithm at a certain time/div value in firmware, which I seem to remember seeing in a cheap Chinese scope a few years ago. Interpolation options would be nice, but it's hard to get the balance right between usability and over complication, especially in a handheld.

I guess the "proper high bandwidth scope" has not just a higher bandwidth, but in particular a higher sampling rate as well? (and some scopes may also have a built-in anti-aliasing filter)

Yes, the digital has 1GS/s, and my analog has infinite.  :D

It is hard (if not impossible) to measure the step response of the frontent if the sampling rate is so low. Better sweep the frequency of a sine-wave signal and find the -3dB point (with a sine wave, you can go up to almost 125MHz without violating the sampling theorem (when the sampling rate is 250MSPS), and even beyond 125MHz you could still measure the amplitude of the down-converted sine wave).

I am not that bothered about the actual BW. The 40MHz claimed is plenty for the price, having more is good to know, but I think it is much more important to be aware that apparent spikes riding on top/bottom of fast edges may be just the artefact, and if they are important, verify, hook up a proper scope.
For most uses I will probably keep it in 20MHz limit which is still amazing for the price point and form factor, and then there is the 10mV/div minimum sensitivity, which asks for a fair amount of 1x probing anyway.

Offline smat

« Reply #215 on: June 11, 2020, 09:03:00 am »
This leaves me to believe they share fundamentally the same "innards" and that the "model number bandwidth" indicated by the 3rd character of the model nomenclature is more related to establishing marketplace price points than to each model's actual instrument performance.

Haha, yes.
Good times!
Way back when, they used to build the front end for the bandwidth.
Then they gave you the top of the range for free, just crippled it in firmware for you to hack.
Nowadays they can't even be bothered to do that! :D

Perhaps the limit in firmware was a planned feature that they cut once they estimated the costs and actual effect on sales.

Or... That "casual" users won't know that they were "cheated", while nerds will just do the research, buy the low price version, love the freebie, and remember in 5 years if/when Hantek becomes the new Rigol.

Offline philaudio

« Reply #216 on: October 24, 2020, 12:07:16 pm »
Hello,

I made a big mistake this morning by wanting to measure resistances and tensions. in the precipitation I forgot to change the mode between AC and ohm. more AC and ohm reading result. R14 R15 burn, what are the values? please

thank's

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2020, 11:33:37 pm »
That seems to be a fairly common mistake, I have fixed a few of these devices with the same problem. Usually, simply replacing the resistor fix the multimeter.

R14 is 10K \$\Omega\$ and R15 is 1K \$\Omega\$ both are 0603 1% SMD resistors

I've attached a picture of the resistors for future reference.
1096836-0

The following users thanked this post: Horseloaf

Offline triodetube

« Reply #218 on: October 27, 2020, 12:43:31 am »
Hi I have the 2C42 version and will upgrade it to 2D42 following this forum. Is it possible to replace the DAC902 with DAC904? I don't know why the DAC904 is cheaper than DAC902 here. It is pin compatible according to the datasheet. It seems the only difference is the resolution.

Offline dotsam

« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2020, 08:49:04 pm »
Just wanted to document somewhere that I was able to update firmware using dfu-util (http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net) which supports the STM DfuSe extension (http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/dfuse.html) used by this scope. dfu-util should be available as a package on most Linux distros, and also on macOS through homebrew, which is what I used.

To begin, place the device in DFU mode as normal (Hold F1 while powering on).

Then as a test and to create a backup of the current firmware, run:
Code: [Select]
$ dfu-util --device 0483:* -a 0 -s 0x08005000 -U backup.bin
dfu-util 0.9

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2016 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to http://sourceforge.net/p/dfu-util/tickets/

Deducing device DFU version from functional descriptor length
Opening DFU capable USB device...
ID 0483:df11
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 1024
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash  "
Limiting upload to end of memory segment, 503808 bytes
Upload  [=========================] 100%       503808 bytes
Upload done.

If that works, then you're communicating with the device properly, so let's use the .dfu package to write the new firmware:
$ dfu-util --device 0483:* -a 0 -D HantekHTX2020070701.dfu
dfu-util 0.9

Match product ID from file: 0000
dfuIDLE, continuing
file contains 1 DFU images
parsing DFU image 1
image for alternate setting 0, (1 elements, total size = 229444)
parsing element 1, address = 0x08005000, size = 229436
Download        [=========================] 100%       229436 bytes
Download done.
done parsing DfuSe file

Finally, we need to exit DFU mode. dfu-util lets us do this, but not without doing another upload/download action. So let's read the firmware out again and also pass along the "leave" command to kick the device out of DFU.
$ dfu-util --device 0483:* -a 0 -s 0x08005000:leave -U backup_new.bin
dfu-util 0.9

dfuIDLE, continuing
Limiting upload to end of memory segment, 503808 bytes
Upload  [=========================] 100%       503808 bytes
Upload done.
Transitioning to dfuMANIFEST state

And finally, just to describe the command line flags used here: the --device flag picks the device, and while the raw binary reading isn't picky, the DfuSe mode wants this to match what's specified in the .dfu file, so 0483:* matches that. "-a 0" matches the DFU endpoint for the internal flash. SPI and NOR flash also seem to be exposed:
Found DFU: [0483:df11] ver=0200, devnum=9, cfg=1, intf=0, path="253-1.3", alt=2, name="@NOR Flash : M29W128F/0x64000000/0256*64Kg", serial="XXXXXXXXXXXX"
Found DFU: [0483:df11] ver=0200, devnum=9, cfg=1, intf=0, path="253-1.3", alt=1, name="@SPI Flash : M25P64/0x00000000/128*64Kg", serial="XXXXXXXXXXXX"
Found DFU: [0483:df11] ver=0200, devnum=9, cfg=1, intf=0, path="253-1.3", alt=0, name="@Internal Flash  /0x08000000/06*002Ka,250*002Kg", serial="XXXXXXXXXXXX"

Hopefully this is useful to someone!

The following users thanked this post: KONNEX, Horseloaf

Offline Bluegizmo83

« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2021, 07:44:32 am »
Has anyone looked into adding wifi to these handheld hantek scopes? I noticed someone commented in this thread that it looks like there is an unpopulated space on the PCB for an ESP8266, but didn't see any other discussions about it. Not knowing what the code should be on the ESP8266 could be an issue, but it might be possible to dump/copy the code from Hantek's IDS1070A USB Wifi scope which also uses an ESP8266 for it's wifi communication...

Edit: the IDS1070A doesn't actually use an ESP8266, just a generic STM microcontroller with built-in wifi. But, it's protocol has already been reverse engineered on GitHub and is just a basic Request-Response protocol, so implementing it on an 8266 should be fairly straightforward.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:40:57 pm by Bluegizmo83 »

Offline Horseloaf

« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2021, 10:26:06 am »
Just wanted to document somewhere that I was able to update firmware using dfu-util (http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net) which supports the STM DfuSe extension (http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/dfuse.html) used by this scope. dfu-util should be available as a package on most Linux distros, and also on macOS through homebrew, which is what I used.

Hopefully this is useful to someone!

Tremendously helpful, thanks!

Offline Horseloaf

« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2021, 08:22:24 pm »
I think I have put voltage on the terminals when the meter stand in Ohm After opening I have seen 2 o resistors on the underside of the CS7721CN chip above the banana bushes. which are burned.

If only the resistors are burned you are lucky, it's likely that you have damaged the dmm chip. Anyway, if you want to try to repair it, I opened up mine to check the resistors values: R14 is 10K 1% and R15 is 1K 1%.

I've tried to take a picture as well, it is not great but it may help.

(Attachment Link)

Just curiosity, what was the voltage you were measuring?

I've just had this happen on my new 2D42 when measuring mains voltage (around 250V AC) with the DMM section set to "AC V". The same two resistors are burned and the display still shows that I have "AC V" selected... Very annoying!

Offline ve7ihl

• Contributor
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2021, 05:55:42 pm »
I have the 2D72. The DMM DC volts calibration was out by about 10mv. To adjust the DMM calibration (after taking the back case off) use the top pot (farthest away from the bottom of the case) to get an accurate DC voltage measurement. You will need a stable voltage reference and a known accurate voltmeter to compare against. (I used a Fluke 87V that is know to be calibrated). The adjustment is quite sensitive, so make very small adjustments until the meters read the same. You may wish to calibrate in the voltage area of interest, in my case I am mostly interested in around the 12v to 13v area. The meter is not fully linear across the entire range. Make sure both of you meters (and voltage reference source) have been on for about 15 minutes, and both meters have been allowed to be in room temperature for several hours first. The 2nd pot (closest to the bottom of the case) will adjust the AV voltage reading. I could not get mine to match the Fluke 87V meter exactly. best I could get it was about .25 VAC off.

Offline Smajdalf

« Reply #224 on: July 04, 2021, 06:25:04 pm »
I have decided to upgrade my 2C42 to enable the AWG. I have gathered as much information as possible, got the chips and opened my scope. I was surprised everything is already present here - DAC, op amp, R65 that should inform the MCU the DAC is present - everything exactly as in the photos of 2Dx2. I have tried to change FW but no matter what I get the message no AWG is present. I have tried to find what is going on but without any success. The DAC is used to generate the calibration signal with frequency 1 kHz (someone somewhere said some other frequency is generated in the non-DAC version - strange). On the R65 is 0 V at the DAC side and about 3 V on the other side - I was not able to find where it is connected. Do you have some idea what I can try to enable the DAC?

EDIT: I tried to find where is the R65 is connected. One side is connected to the Enable pin of the DAC and FPGA. The other has direct connection to supply voltage of the FPGA. I am quite sure there is no direct connection to the ARM processor. I am not sure if it is connected to any I/O pin of the FPGA. Is it possible it is only a pull-up disabling the DAC until the FPGA overrides it? Can someone confirm this? If there is some short circuit on my board and the resistor should not be connected to FPGA Vcc, can you tell me where it is connected so I can fix it? Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 12:08:23 pm by Smajdalf »

Offline NRoach44

• Contributor
« Reply #225 on: July 15, 2021, 11:16:53 pm »
I'm in the same boat as Smajdalf - I just got one from a local(!) store that sells them and it looks like I got a 2020/21 revision board.

All of the components needed for the mod are already there - the DAC, op-amp and supporting passives.

I wonder if it's just a case of checking what resistance R65 is.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2021, 09:03:22 pm »
I just got a 2D42.  I have one of Leo Bodnar's <40 ps rise time pulsers and it shows a good step with a <5 ns rise time.  So it really *is* a 70 MHz DSO :-)

The FW is rather underwhelming, but  it should serve OK.

Mine also arrived with a dead battery.  We'll see if it takes a charge and holds it.

Reg

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2021, 11:57:25 pm »
Quick followup.

I've been messing about with an 8560A as a receiver and a tinySA and Leo's pulser as sources.

The basic HW is fantastic.  The FW, mehh.  For analog circuit work it's usable to 200 MHz.  It's severely aliased above 62.5 MHz, so make sure you understand that.  But it does a good job.  It will let you trace an LO circuit looking for a failed part.

I'm now attempting to estimate phase noise of the Hantek AWG clock using the 8560A.

Just finished averaging 100 traces.  At 10 Hz RBW the phase noise is -55dBc.

For my purposes, a portable HF capable test bench, the 2D42 is excellent and only needs a jailbreak.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: July 24, 2021, 08:39:57 am »
It is nice gadget, and somehow I still like it (particular due to partability and battery operation), but calling it "excellent" is IMO exaggerated.
Features are just elementary, but yes, it does display waveforms sufficiently for a number of simple use cases.
Frontend bandwidth is ideed more than sufficient. Below is a list of things I do not like so much:
  • UI experience is rather inconvenient. I'd also favor a touchscreen. Operating a NanoVNA or TinySA is much more pleasant.
  • Data transfer to the PC app, and consequently the screen update in the PC app, is horribly slow.
  • Frontent is a pretty noisy, in all V/div ranges. No wonder, though, given that all input ranges are attenuated to 10mV/div first, and then get re-amplifed.
  • A range smaller than 10mV/div were nice, too. But I'm unsure whether it would make sense, given the noisiness.
  • There is almost no memory depth.
  • The lack of memory also prevents a trace averaging feature in order to reduce noise.
  • Input capacitance changes, depending on the input attenuator relay position (1:1 vs 50:1). This impacts adjustment of 10:1 probes. But the same seems to apply to various other low-cost scopes, too.
  • There is a significant feed-through from the AWG under load (i.e. when a load is connected to the AWG) to the scope frontend. Maximum feed-through happens at ~5kHz. 1)
    I did track the path, and obviously it happens via the negative power supply rail. The rail is shared between AWG and scope frontend, and the PSRR of the frontend is obviously not very good - just roughly 10dB, IIRC.
  • In two-channel mode, the two channels are not sampled simultaneously, but with a time offset of 1/2 ADC clock cycle (which depends on selected time base). 2)
    I.e. if you feed the same signal into both channels, you oberve a phase difference, which is not present at the inputs. Also well visible in x-y mode, when an expected straight line turns into an ellipse.
  • The AWG cannot reach the full specified output voltage swing w/o clipping (at least under load). Root cause is that the negative supply voltage for the output opamp is too low (and the opamp is not rail-to-rail either).
  • When I got mine, the AWG did produce significant spikes in the waveform. This was IMO a timing error in the FPGA (DAC's setup times from data to clock edge not met).
    A FPGA update from hantek fixed it mostly, but I still see sporadic fringes in the waveform -- it still does not look as clean as from other AWGs.
  • The AWG does of course not have any analog attenuators, so the output amplitude is only controlled digitally (-> the lower the amplitude, the lower the relative resolution).

1) See first attached image. AWG generates a 5.5kHz signal, and drives a 50 Ohm load. Scope inputs are shorted with 50 Ohm terminators (in order not to pick-up noise).
    Still the scope channels display the fed-through signal fom the AWG (with an aplitude equivalent to a 500mVpp input signal, at 500mV/div) :(

2) The next three images demonstrate the 1/2 ADC clock cycle time offset between the two channels.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 01:13:38 pm by gf »

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: July 24, 2021, 04:54:01 pm »
Most of the shortcomings are the horrible software.  There is no way to adjust the trigger level!

I've ordered the Owon version of this and shall keep the better of the two.

Still for a scope to troubleshoot a radio it will serve just fine which is what I want it for as part of a portable RF bench with nanoVNA, tinySA, LCR/transistor tester, diode noise source, etc.

It's obviously not a replacement for a Rigol DS1000.  Just a lot smaller.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline gf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2021, 07:25:54 am »
Trigger level can be adjusted with the up/down buttons, after pressing the "Trig" button in order to enter the trigger menu.

Offline philippe_44

Better display for 2000 series
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2021, 09:31:53 pm »
I have a 2D72 and it's a convenient tool but I really don't like the display, it's too small. I opened it and realized that it's a 2.8" mainly due to what seems to me like a bad PCB design with a highly recessed USB-C connector. Still, I was able to design a new front cover and fit a 3.2" display as there is a fully compatible IL9341 one. The original scope is untouched, existing parts are reused with no modification, I'd say the hardest part is to cut the plexiglass cover ;D, all the rest should snap-in just right

You can find details here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4920864
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 01:12:25 am by philippe_44 »

The following users thanked this post: ArtRock

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2021, 03:28:01 am »
FWIW I got an Owon HDS272S.  Night and day better.

I'm returning the Hantek though not yet sure how.

I also got a Fnirsi 1013D tablet DSO,  So far it appears to be a nice solid 30 MHz DSO which simply needs good software.  I bought it in hopes I can find time to make some small contribution to cracking it open.

No one knows how a tablet DSO should work.  The 1013D is a good test bed.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline philippe_44

« Reply #233 on: August 08, 2021, 03:26:25 am »
FWIW I got an Owon HDS272S.  Night and day better.

I'm returning the Hantek though not yet sure how.

I also got a Fnirsi 1013D tablet DSO,  So far it appears to be a nice solid 30 MHz DSO which simply needs good software.  I bought it in hopes I can find time to make some small contribution to cracking it open.

No one knows how a tablet DSO should work.  The 1013D is a good test bed.

Have Fun!
Reg

I've tried the Owon as well - I agree it's better from most point of view and that's also what pushed me to at least change the screen as the HDS272 is 3.5 and that's much more comfortable.

The following users thanked this post: ArtRock

Offline Madri

« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2021, 08:30:47 pm »
Hello, please, I have damaged the 2c42 tester by measuring in alternating voltage when I had it in ohms. I have changed the resistors R14 and R15 that were burned but it remains the same. I have measured voltages in the area that I indicate in the photo and where there should be 5 volts there are 4.94 volts which seems to be fine but where there is -5 volts I have measured -3.4 volts. And the third measurement is 3.3 volts and the measurement it gave is 2.9 volts. I have also noticed that there is an integrated LTRA that heats up more than normal next to these measurements but I cannot find a datasheet.
I put photos
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:32:08 pm by Madri »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #235 on: October 17, 2021, 08:54:16 pm »
Hola por favor he averiado el tester 2c42 midiendo en tension alterna cuando lo tenia en ohmios. He cambiado las resistencias R14 y R15 que estaban quemadas pero sigue igual. He medido tensiones en la zona que indico en la foto y donde debería de haber 5 voltios hay 4,94 votios que parece estar bien pero donde hay -5 voltios he medido -3,4 voltios. Y la tercera medida es de 3,3 voltios y la medida que daba es de 2,9 voltios. También me he dado cuenta que hay un integrado LTRA que se calienta mas de lo normal al lado de estas medidas pero no encuentro datasheet.
Pongo fotos
Welcome to the forum.

English only please.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Madri

« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2021, 09:33:02 pm »
OK thank you

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline .rpv

• Contributor
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2021, 10:02:50 pm »
Hello, please, I have damaged the 2c42 tester by measuring in alternating voltage when I had it in ohms. I have changed the resistors R14 and R15 that were burned but it remains the same. I have measured voltages in the area that I indicate in the photo and where there should be 5 volts there are 4.94 volts which seems to be fine but where there is -5 volts I have measured -3.4 volts. And the third measurement is 3.3 volts and the measurement it gave is 2.9 volts. I have also noticed that there is an integrated LTRA that heats up more than normal next to these measurements but I cannot find a datasheet.
I put photos

Hi.

LTRA seems to be LT1931:

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/1931fa.pdf

But for what you said, this IC seems to be working just being overloaded, something else could be damaged an taking a lot more current that the IC can provide (or its components). R14/R15 are just to close to U4, your meter is it working and just giving bad readings?, if isn't responding at all U4 probably it's gone.

Offline Madri

« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2021, 10:54:23 pm »
* 5B515909-DC57-468C-8138-9F634247FABC.jpeg
I put photos

Hi.

LTRA seems to be LT1931:

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/1931fa.pdf

But for what you said, this IC seems to be working just being overloaded, something else could be damaged an taking a lot more current that the IC can provide (or its components). R14/R15 are just to close to U4, your meter is it working and just giving bad readings?, if isn't responding at all U4 probably it's gone.

Thanks for answering if the tester works but only the oscilloscope. The optocouplers I have changed them all. U4 I can't find it to buy it. You could replace it with this ?  https://es.aliexpress.com/item/10000295208094.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 11:16:32 pm by Madri »

Offline .rpv

• Contributor
« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2021, 11:57:53 pm »
Didn't seem to be the same part.

You can test if U4 it's really bad, remove it from the board and test the voltages again, but yeah, it really seems that U4 it's gone.

Some one post a forum where it seems that you can get support from hantek:

https://www.eediscuss.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=44&page=1

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #240 on: October 28, 2021, 03:40:50 am »
The LTRA is indeed a LT1931 and your voltages are fine. Hantek is using lower voltages to apparently save some battery. That was discussed earlier in this thread.

Check all resistor and diodes around U4 and see if they are all fine but it's likely that U4 is gone.
1308938-0

The DMM chipset is the CS7721CN from Semico and I don't think you can find it to buy in small volume (I couldn't find). You can try to contact Hantek but if they can't help you, I still have here some chips they sent me some time ago. I have no idea how much it would cost to ship it to Spain but it shouldn't be that expensive.

Offline masta_k74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #241 on: December 27, 2021, 12:40:52 pm »
I don't know if this is relevant to anyone here, but there is now relatively good firmware for the 2D72 from Joy-It. German, English and French can be selected as languages. I have not found anything negative about it so far.
For me, it works much better then the original Firmware from Hantek.
You can find it on this page, bottom right: https://joy-it.net/en/products/JT-DMSO2D72

Offline jorgemef

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #242 on: January 02, 2022, 07:22:21 pm »
Are those TFT screens available somewhere? My 2C42 developed a vertical line just 2 months after purchasing it. Got very little use in fact.
Model of LCD is FPC-TFT028F014.V0. Cannot find it on Aliexpress or so.

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #243 on: January 03, 2022, 02:42:55 am »
Yes, those are standard 2.8" TFT display with a 40pin flat cable. I think the controller is ILI9341 compatible.

I have a tray of them left here:
1367855-0
1367861-1

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the second option from this seller could fit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32862869103.html
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 02:55:07 am by Microcheap »

The following users thanked this post: jorgemef

Offline jorgemef

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2022, 06:31:44 pm »
Hantek through Aliexpress support sent me a new screen as was under warranty. I replaced it and is working like a charm now.  :-+
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 08:36:22 pm by jorgemef »

Offline Paroidia

• Contributor
« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2022, 01:01:13 am »
So I have have found that my 2C72 will not reliably report the value of capacitors higher than 20µF. With 22µF caps I get inconsistent results, some report the value, some give a "0L" It seems to work fine with caps 20µF or smaller. Larger caps either give "0L" or wildly inaccurate results e.g a 47µF reporting 80µF and then the same value and manufacture cap on another board (Samsung Electro Mechanics SMT cap) reporting "0L" Interestingly 20µF is exactly the same limit as this device, also from Hantek.

http://www.hantek.com/products/detail/16180

Is this just my particular 2C72? Everything else works fine except for this and it's not really a deal breaker. Mostly I would use the MM part for measuring DC voltage but I don't want a defective unit either.

EDIT: Never mind it works, I am used to my Agilent meter reading caps more or less accurately on a PBC. I forgot you are supposed to remove a cap from the board before testing it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 05:44:18 am by Paroidia »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf