Author Topic: Multiple channel and fast digitizing system suggestions  (Read 1906 times)

Offline pFtr34wESDTopic starter

Multiple channel and fast digitizing system suggestions
« on: November 23, 2022, 04:29:51 pm »
I am looking for a system to digitize analog signals which are pulses with amplitude from 0 V up to 1 V, rise time 200-600 ps, peak duration from 1-3 ns and noise rms 0.5-2 mV. Currently I am using a LeCroy WaveRunner 9254M and it works very well, but now I need between 12 and 32 channels so I am looking for something else. I don't need an oscilloscope (i.e. no need for a screen, knobs, processing/measuring functions, etc), just need an acquisition system to digitize these signals in a similar way than the 9254M and get the raw data into a PC.

A rough summary of what I need:
- Number of analog channels >= 12.
- Bandwidth > 2 GHz.
- Sampling rate >= 20 GS/s.
- Input range from 0 to 1 V.
- Vertical resolution ~ 8 bit.
- Time acquisition window ~ 100 ns.

I have found a few products that can do something like this but not many. So if you have suggestions that would be very much welcome.

I'm looking for some "black box" as much as possible "plug and play", don't want to develop my own acquisition system for this.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 04:35:00 pm by pFtr34wESD »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Multiple channel and fast digitizing system suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 09:37:54 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

This is coming, will do what you need however as yet we don't know when:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds6000l-2ghz-12bit-8-ch-(china-only)/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 10:11:13 pm »
I'd look at data acquisition products that can have multiple acquisition modules in a mainframe. I would avoid a solution that consists of seperate boxes. The most difficult part is to get seperate boxes in precise time sync (time sync is a big step above frequency sync!) so you can time correlate the signals. This is not something to be underestimated; it is difficult to achieve even when the sampler modules are sitting in the same mainframe!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 10:12:51 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 11:36:22 pm »
I'd look at data acquisition products that can have multiple acquisition modules in a mainframe. I would avoid a solution that consists of seperate boxes. The most difficult part is to get seperate boxes in precise time sync (time sync is a big step above frequency sync!) so you can time correlate the signals. This is not something to be underestimated; it is difficult to achieve even when the sampler modules are sitting in the same mainframe!
The Siglent headless scopes Tautech mentioned have proper synchronization but as he says not available at the moment, unfortunately. Other manufacturers have headless scopes too..
Specialized sampler mainframe would be great. I have no firsthand experience with those.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 11:43:07 pm »
The Siglent headless scopes Tautech mentioned have proper synchronization but as he says not available at the moment, unfortunately. Other manufacturers have headless scopes too..
Specialized sampler mainframe would be great. I have no firsthand experience with those.
First of all the sampling rate is too low to meet OP's requirements. Secondly it is not a good idea to blindly recommend a product that has not been field tested. Thirdly -as having a lot of experience with synchronising equipment at the single digit picosecond level- I strongly doubt the Siglent solution can achieve time synchronisation at a sufficient level given the block diagram.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 11:45:08 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 11:50:04 pm »
Secondly it is not a good idea to blindly recommend a product that has not been field tested.
:-DD
FFS where do you think the largest single test field for Siglent actually is ?
Have you not heard of a place called China ?  :-//

Last I enquired it was to be available this year, Q4.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline jhenderson0107

• Regular Contributor
    • Elk Engineering
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 12:23:42 am »
The RTX16 SOM https://www.elkengineering.com/_files/ugd/d07548_fe8eb820d8084beb96fc20a054533fbe.pdf seems to meet your requirements. 

It is distributed via Avnet as the XRF16 gen3. 

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 08:12:41 am »
First of all the sampling rate is too low to meet OP's requirements. Secondly it is not a good idea to blindly recommend a product that has not been field tested. Thirdly -as having a lot of experience with synchronising equipment at the single digit picosecond level- I strongly doubt the Siglent solution can achieve time synchronisation at a sufficient level given the block diagram.

Why do you snap at people for no  reason? I wasn't recommending anything. I made a comment to you that piece of equipment can in fact be synchronized opposite to what you said. You made an error, I corrected you. You re welcome!

Picosecond level triggering is solid on these scopes, and even on single unit it requires careful attention to cabling propagation delays etc. I don't see OP requiring single ps level of accuracy though..
And,again I didn't recommend it because it is not for sale in EU anyways.

And you are right, sample rate is lower that OP asked for. There is also a 8000 series from Rigol that is rack mount, but only 4ch may per module. Which also does not meet the requirements and didn't try it myself either so can't say how it works in practice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf