Author Topic: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO  (Read 855544 times)

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
Re: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO
« Reply #1100 on: July 17, 2019, 01:34:48 pm »
I am very happy to have some to troubleshoot an old radio TSF.

Hi Raxis13,

Nice historical radio, but due to high internal voltages also a bit dangerous. I started my electronic experiments many years ago with gear like this - been there, done that :)
Just out of curiosity - what kind of measurement tools do you have at hand when working with tube radios?

Regarding the Hantek scope, please keep in mind that the usable input voltage of Hantek6022 is limited to ± 5 Volt (voltages outside this range are clipped and the channel name in the bottom lines turns red as a warning (as seen in my screen shot some posts up). The input (at the BNC plug) shall never exceed ± 35 Volt to avoid degradation or damage.
Supplied with the scope are two probes that can be set to X1 or X10 mode, the later setting allows to measure ± 50 V signals (with ±350 V safety margin). For higher voltages a X100 probe can be used but these are expensive.
Another possibility for measuring smaller signals with a high DC bias (as usually found at the anode of the nice dusty tube on the left in your 2nd picture) is to create an AC coupling (that's unfortunately missing in the Hantek in order to spare some ct in production) by connecting a small (~10..100 nF) plastic film capacitor in series to the tip of your probe, this capacitor should have an operating voltage > 500 V to be on the safe side. With the open end of this capacitor you can touch the interesting points in your radio, wait 'til the trace (that has jumped to the top) comes to the center again and stabilizes and then measure the AC while the capacitor blocks the DC offset (it charges itself to the DC voltage within seconds, so you should discharge it (easily done by touching the metal frame of the radio with the open end for some seconds) before measuring at different levels or touching by hand to avoid the painful (but not lethal) electrical shock.
Another thing to remember to avoid damage to your computer and scope is that the scope's GND signal is directly connected to your computer and via the computer's power supply a connection to the earth potential of the mains exist. So _never_ connect the probe's GND clamps to any other level than the GND level of your radio. (This limitation is found in most scopes, even in the most expensive ones.)

Have fun
Martin

The following users thanked this post: chinoy, raxis13

Offline raxis13

« Reply #1101 on: July 17, 2019, 04:35:40 pm »
Hi Martin,

This TSF comes from my family.  It can be dated from the 1920s. 
I recently discovered that my son-in-law who works for an ISP is very interested in old radios, but he does not have one, and does not know about my treasure. So I set myself a real challenge: repair it, and offer it repaired for his birthday. But I only have a multimeter. I documented myself. But first size difficulty encountered: I located the fault upstream of the frequency change stage, but I'm not sure. The only way to find out is to use an oscilloscope. By dint of research, I discovered the card Hantek6022BE which has just the necessary characteristics, except as regards the input voltage. So I bought a probe x100 (9,59 € shipping price included by internet ; out of the forum, if you want i could give you the address), and I received it yesterday. I immediately tested the set: the Hantek6022BE card, the probe x100, and especially your software, that i now know how to use thanks to your message of yesterday. Everything works perfectly. Thus equipped, I will be able to measure the frequencies present in the different stages.
Indeed, it is necessary to take great precautions for oneself (risk of electrocution by propagation of the HT by the mass to the Hantek metal case) and for the equipment (HT input on Hantek6022BE, and PC) during interventions.  Moreover on this TSF not only the high voltage (350V peak) is present, but it is equipped with an autotransformer. So one electrical line (neutral or phase depending on the connection to the socket) is connected to the metal chassis of the electronics.
As protection :
- i used a portable PC (electrically separated from domestic 220V grid), and not a fixed PC
- i wear plastic gloves
- i use x100 probe

Thank you Martin for your always good, and very precise advices.  I particularly noted your method for measuring weak signals.

Regards.

Raxis13

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #1102 on: July 18, 2019, 06:46:55 am »
Hi,

During the development of the latest free open source firmware I drew a quick sketch of the 6022BE schematics (with 6022BL differences noted in green). I took a deeper look at the digital back end - the analog front end was already documented by RichardK, I merely added the pinout of the ICs. RichardK also analysed the power supply circuit. Both schematics together with RichardK's comments should give the complete insight.

CU Martin

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:43:23 am by horo »

The following users thanked this post: raxis13

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #1103 on: July 19, 2019, 06:49:21 pm »
Just downloaded OpenHantek-Win-x64-Release-b66.zip (trying to stay away from late beta or bleeding edge zips)
On my Intel i5 system with win-7 and 8g ram, default 1.06 Hantek SW works great on FP USB3 ports.

I unpacked b66 to a folder and ran VCredist_x64 fine, but when running OpenHantek.exe I get upload in progress for >30mins..
I suppose it's uploading firmware to the cypress chip?

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #1104 on: July 19, 2019, 08:18:31 pm »
No fear, this device cannot be "bricked" as the firmware is not flashed but only uploaded into RAM (there is no flash at all) where it stays only as long as the device is connected via USB. I got the info that sometimes on windows the very first upload doesn't work properly. Just cancel and restart (without disconnecting USB).

Martin

ps: the "bleeding edges" on github are mostly bug fixes and little improvements that do not yet justify a new version number, the real feature development is done in own branches on my computer and is never uploaded to github. So it's always safe to clone the master branch - the latest commit e.g. improved the readability by defining better default screen colours and fixed also a possible divide by zero (that didn't harm at least on linux).

pps: you can examine the firmware on https://github.com/Ho-Ro/Hantek6022API
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:21:27 pm by horo »

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #1105 on: July 19, 2019, 09:23:32 pm »
Hi Horo, Is it correct to say each 6022Bx has a unique Gui ID? and therefore OpenHantek users need to build their own QtCreator driver?

(my device manager shows a Base Container ID as {3bf70575-a951-11e9-b229-fcaa1433a5e4} )

I ask this because the OpenHantek driver provided in another post would not install (error scrn. provided), so my previous post was with the driver provided with Hantek SW ver 1.06. Maybe it's just the summer heat, but I must be missing something here..

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #1106 on: July 19, 2019, 09:55:29 pm »
Hi Cliff,

I don't use windows so I have only rudimentary experience but as I learned from win users it would be the best to remove all previous drivers, SW, what else.. and then use zadig to install LibusbK (two times, 1st zadig for device without firmware, VID/PID 0x04B4/0x602A, upload the firmware and then 2nd zadig for device with firmware, VID/PID 0x04B5/0x062A).
Maybe raxis13 can give you some hints how to handle the win installation.

HTH, Martin

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #1107 on: July 19, 2019, 10:17:54 pm »
Hi Cliff,

I don't use windows so I have only rudimentary experience but as I learned from win users it would be the best to remove all previous drivers, SW, what else.. and then use zadig to install LibusbK (two times, 1st zadig for device without firmware, VID/PID 0x04B4/0x602A, upload the firmware and then 2nd zadig for device with firmware, VID/PID 0x04B5/0x062A).
Maybe raxis13 can give you some hints how to handle the win installation.

HTH, Martin
Thanks! A little nervous, but I'll start by reading the info at https://zadig.akeo.ie/ and see how far I get :)

Offline raxis13

« Reply #1108 on: July 22, 2019, 05:53:16 pm »
Hi Cliff,

As for my own experience, i suggest you first read my previous posts to Martin on july 10 and 15.

My PC is operating under Windows 10.  I couldn't install Libusb driver on this PC, but may be i did some mistake with the modification of libusb_device.inf, or during the installation.  So i used Zadig 2.4  https://zadig.akeo.ie/ to install Winusb (but i also installed and used LibusbK with OpenHantek).

Driver installation with Zadig is very simple :

-  before any new driver installation, plug Hantek6022BE hardware to your pc. Through Windows Device Manager check that Hantek6022BE (DSO-6022BE) is not installed (you should see a small yellow exclamation panel icon at the left of the name DSO-6022BE).  If Hantek6022BE (DSO-6022BE) is installed, uninstall DSO6022 (by a right clic on its name, then Uninstall) and into the next small window which then appear don't forget to check the case Delete driver from your computer.  Then unplug Hantek6022BE. If previously you had to uninstall Hantek6022BE, plug Hantek6022BE (DSO-6022BE) and again  through Device Manager check once again that no driver remain installed.  If yes, uninstall Hantek6022BE (DSO-6022BE)  as indicated just before.

- Restart your computer.

- Then Hantek6022BE always plugged, once again  through Device Manager check that no driver remain installed.

Now at this stage, no driver should be installed.  If no driver is installed (you should see a small yellow exclamation panel icon at the left of the name DSO-6022BE). 
- Start Zadig 2.4.  Go to Option > List All Devices.  Choose DSO-6022BE.  Choose the driver you want to install - for instance WinUSB.  Clic on Install Driver. 

Through Device Manager check that Hantek DSO-6002BE is now correctly installed.

Restart your computer.

Start OpenHantek6022 build 68.   
A black msdos window open, and an other one with the title Select Device.  In Select Device \ tab Supported Device you could see Upload in progress...  Close this window. 

Start again OpenHantek6022 build 68.  Now Device ready to use should be displayed.
Click OK.  Then, OpenHantek6022 window should appear.

Raxis13

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, horo

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #1109 on: August 09, 2019, 07:51:37 pm »
And here it is ... the new release v2.13. There are mostly small changes and clean ups, some new icons and a dB display of the input voltages, scalable as dBV, dBu or dBm@50Ω. The most important change is a extensive User Manual with quick start guide for newbies, technical data and an explanation of all scope functions.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:53:40 pm by horo »

The following users thanked this post: Tech_JA, Cliff Matthews, raxis13

Offline raxis13

« Reply #1110 on: August 30, 2019, 06:12:44 pm »

Very beautiful job!  Thank you Martin for the manual and this superb software. 

Raxis13

The following users thanked this post: horo

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #1111 on: September 08, 2019, 12:24:16 pm »
Hi,

New release 2.14 of OpenHantek6022 available, major changes from 2.13:
Vpp measure, more oversampling, faster display refresh,
alternating trigger, faster trigger (and new smooth trigger mode).
Added support for Voltcraft DSO-2020 scope.

Martin

Offline RudyB

Six software apps to use with the 6022BE
« Reply #1112 on: September 13, 2019, 02:35:49 pm »
The different software software apps for the Hantek 6022BE are scattered throughout this thread.

I created an overview of 6 apps and to not get it lost on page x of this thread I posted them in a separate thread over here.

The following users thanked this post: 001, Cliff Matthews

Offline marabella

« Reply #1113 on: September 27, 2019, 07:43:25 pm »
Hello Martin

I've been using the older OpenHantek for about a year and just discovered your work. Impressive work you've done!
But (there is always a but) I can't operate it with my Windows 10 tablet because all the GUI controls now are so small/tiny.
I have to use a mouse - pointer which isn't possible. Is there any chance, to enlarge the controls more touching convenient?

My tablet has only one USB port. So I bought a chinese-cheap (MW7211a-controlled) active powered USB-Hub.
But no luck. The older OpenHantek led W10 to a crash and your OH (WinUSB-driver from Zadig) led to a disconnect, every time I switch to the USB-Hub. My guess: It's driver related, because other connected devices worked.

BTW: I anymore do not want to use the 6022 with a PSU somewhere attached. This is extremely dangerous.
I fried this unit and my netbook too due to USB earth/ground hell.

I want to measure carefree, battery driven.

Kind regards

Heribert

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #1114 on: September 30, 2019, 12:44:01 pm »
Hello Martin

Hi Heribert

I've been using the older OpenHantek for about a year and just discovered your work. Impressive work you've done!
But (there is always a but) I can't operate it with my Windows 10 tablet because all the GUI controls now are so small/tiny.
I have to use a mouse - pointer which isn't possible. Is there any chance, to enlarge the controls more touching convenient?
This is not so easy to accomplish with the used QT widgets, as stated by Qt:
Qt Widgets are traditional user interface elements that are typically found in desktop environments. The widgets integrate well to the underlying platform providing native look'n'feel on Windows, Linux and macOS. The widgets are mature and feature rich user interface elements suitable for mostly static user interfaces. In contrast to Qt Quick, the widgets do not scale that well for touch screens and fluid, highly animated modern user interfaces. The widgets are a good choice for applications with traditional desktop centric user interfaces, such as office type applications.

My tablet has only one USB port. So I bought a chinese-cheap (MW7211a-controlled) active powered USB-Hub.
But no luck. The older OpenHantek led W10 to a crash and your OH (WinUSB-driver from Zadig) led to a disconnect, every time I switch to the USB-Hub. My guess: It's driver related, because other connected devices worked.
That behaviour is caused by the hi speed USB communication that nearly saturates the bus. The Hantek6022 hardware must transfer large chunks of data in real time as the scope has no internal buffer. If the transfer is interrupted (e.g. by other devices on the same bus due to the hub) the communication stops and all kind of nasty things happen. (Think of formula one racing with zebra crossings for pedestrians.)
A general rule for Hantek6022: connect it to a USB plug that owns its bus alone (e.g. the linux command lsusb shows which device is on which bus, dunno how to do this for Windows).
I know that this doesn't help you with your single USB plug :( - BUT - did you think about using a bluetooth mouse?

BTW: I anymore do not want to use the 6022 with a PSU somewhere attached. This is extremely dangerous.
I fried this unit and my netbook too due to USB earth/ground hell.
I want to measure carefree, battery driven.
Run your tablet on battery and use the strange Y-cable supplied with the scope - black plug into tablet and red plug into a USB power bank - this is how I use my scope together with my Android phone and the HScope app.

But this frying of your test gear is no specific Hantek problem, you also can fry every other real scope - even the most expensive ones - when you connect it to dangerous voltages like the mains - always keep in mind that the scope's GND is connected to the computer's GND that in turn is connected to the mains PE!
I saw a dangerous "solution" in some laboratories where the die-hard volt-nuts used insulating tape on the PE of the (Schuko-)plug of their Hameg or Tek scope to avoid this kind of "earth/ground hell" but this is life-threatening - never do it.
The safe solution is always the insulation transformer for the DUT.

The measure inputs are overvoltage-protected up to ± 35 V when directly connected and ± 350 V when using the X10 probe (the measurable input range is ± 5 V / ± 50 V).
For measuring mains and tube circuits I use a DIY 1:100 divider that allows to measure ± 500 V. This box also has a dedicated GND connector
I also added a dedicated GND plug to my Hantek6022BE - a simple blank 4mm banana socket screwed directly into the side of the aluminium housing where I can plug a direct GND connection. This allows the possible failure current (caused by connecting the GND crocodile to high voltage) to flow directly to GND instead of using the destructive long run through scope, USB cable, computer and PSU into the mains plug.

Also check this thread: How to probe audio amp output with a scope?

Martin

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 10:24:16 am by horo »

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #1116 on: October 05, 2019, 08:06:12 pm »
Hi,

new release v2.15
2019-10-05
Major changes from v2.14:
Automatic translation (qt linguist), German: complete, Portuguese: partly done, French: empty.
Better automatic versioning (commit date & build number),
Sinc interpolation for fast timebase settings,
modification for FreeBSD compiling.

https://github.com/OpenHantek/OpenHantek6022/releases/tag/v2.15

Have fun
Martin

Offline mmark

• Contributor
« Reply #1117 on: October 16, 2019, 01:26:29 pm »
Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for you efforts, OpenHantek6022 is great!

I started adding support for the Sainsmart DDS120 to OpenHantek6022 (I was part of the group behind OpenBuudai, see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sainsmart-dds120-usb-oscilloscope-(buudai-bm102) ) and got it somewhat working on my Macbook. I am using the sigrok firmware.
It still crashes from time to time when switching sample rates too quickly (?) and support for switching between AC & DC coupling is missing, but otherwise it's working quite well (better than the included SW for sure and better than OpenBuudai as well IMHO). Are you interested in a pull request?

Regards,

Markus
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 03:45:03 pm by mmark »

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #1118 on: October 16, 2019, 04:08:11 pm »
Hi Markus,

Yes, I'm very interested in your PR!
The crash is a known regression introduced with v2.15 (this version was withdrawn after  issue report #26. But the change from 2.15 to 2.16 (released yesterday) is not to big...
The AC coupling was removed due to missing HW support in the Hantek device and to get free space in the voltage docks for the 1X / 10X settings. But lets have a look how big the differences are. I think it would also be possible to adapt my FW - but let's go step by step.

Martin

Offline mmark

• Contributor
« Reply #1119 on: October 16, 2019, 07:12:43 pm »
You are right, 2.16 seems to fix the crash  :-+

Just created the PR. Please test if this doesn't break anything for the 6022...

\m/

Offline marabella

« Reply #1120 on: October 29, 2019, 08:12:47 pm »
Hello Martin,

thank you very much for your helpful hints.

I had seen this video about earth/ground problems before I started oscilloscoping.
I thought I were safe because my Acer Netbook has no connection to earth.
It's switched PSU only has a two pin connector so I supposed it's USB interfaces earthfree too.
Also the measurement object, an audio amplifier, has no connection to earth.
I really don't know what happened.

Heribert

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #1121 on: November 05, 2019, 09:43:03 am »
Hi,

Some HW progress with Hantek6022: AC coupling - a nice 1 hour job. My SW supports this mod since v2.17-rc6.

Have fun,
Martin

EDIT: Fixed a small regression at the 10x probe setting, please upgrade to v2.17-rc8.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:01:45 am by horo »

The following users thanked this post: mmark, Cliff Matthews

Offline horo

• Regular Contributor
    • My GitHub Projects
« Reply #1122 on: November 18, 2019, 02:57:52 pm »

Version 3.0.0 is out (I've switched to a new version scheme):

- Better marker handling.
- Updated manual.
- Binaries for Linux, Raspi, Windows and MacOSX available.

Martin

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #1123 on: November 18, 2019, 05:10:22 pm »
Hi Horo, I didn't see the new mods or manual pdfs in win-x86 or x64 archives. I opened the source zip and copied it from docs. Hopefully you do not object to me posting them here for the benefit of others?

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #1124 on: November 18, 2019, 05:11:02 pm »
... AC mods PDF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf